SIDEBAR #11- Arias/Alexander forum

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I trapped one today and wanted to make sure it was dead so I slammed it with my shoe. It took forever to get my shoe off of the trap. :)

All the while wondering if the spider was actually dead or would somehow revive and crawl up your arm, no doubt!!!!

I live in AZ and have been told that exterminators do NOT work on scorpions and the only effective "treatment" is a barrier. I'm assuming a sticky one? Anything else and they're just taking your money. I've had probably a dozen in the last 5 years or so, but noone's been stung yet. They're usually in the kitchen, although one was in a second story bedroom. Btw, whoever posted about being afraid of the big ones, it's my understanding that it's the littler ones that are actually more dangerous. I scoop them up in a cup and throw them into the wash while my dd screams like a lunatic lol So much for the apple not falling far from the tree.

Also, shake out your shoes before you put them on. Apparently they like moist dank places.

eta: I totally missed the bobcat part. I've had bobcats in my backyard more than once. And once a mother with a cub. And I'm right in the heart of North Scottsdale. Nothing rural AT ALL. It's my understanding that the bobcats are no big deal. My experience was that they drank out of the pool and the baby played while mom laid under a bush while I stayed extremely still! With the animals, a different story I imagine.

True story. I was backpacking with friends on San Gorgonio and we were warned to check our boots before putting them on in the morning. Of course, when you're groggy and tired you don't always think rationally, but in spite of that I did remember to check my boots. Unfortunately, I did it by reaching into them with my hand. I can tell you from experience that scorpions do hide in shoes, they don't like it at all when they are trapped by someone stupid enough to wedge their hand all the way up to the toe, and they can sting more than once in the time it takes to remove the aforementioned hand.

Much more painful than a bee sting but not as bad the little round stingrays that are everywhere off the Pacific coast. A little nausea, probably more from the shock of being stung that the actual venom, but no lasting effects.

Personally I'd rather deal with scorpion than New Jersey's ubiquitous ticks. I won't go hiking here without a HazMat suit.

There's Nothing Prancing Cannot Cure.

[video=youtube;oG2ixYJ79iE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oG2ixYJ79iE[/video]

True story. I was backpacking with friends on San Gorgonio and we were warned to check our boots before putting them on in the morning. Of course, when you're groggy and tired you don't always think rationally, but in spite of that I did remember to check my boots. Unfortunately, I did it by reaching into them with my hand. I can tell you from experience that scorpions do hide in shoes, they don't like it at all when they are trapped by someone stupid enough to wedge their hand all the way up to the toe, and they can sting more than once in the time it takes to remove the aforementioned hand.

Much more painful than a bee sting but not as bad the little round stingrays that are everywhere off the Pacific coast. A little nausea, probably more from the shock of being stung that the actual venom, but no lasting effects.

Personally I'd rather deal with scorpion than New Jersey's ubiquitous ticks. I won't go hiking here without a HazMat suit.

haha...yes, shake not stick your hand in. That's why I don't worry about scorpions much. They're only marginally potentially fatal to infants and the elderly. When my kids were infants I put the legs of their crib in glasses, but that's it.

I'm a Jersey girl (the deer country area) and, ironically, the only place I've ever had a tick was in the Blue Ridge Mountains. And totally insanely, the only time my pets have ever had a tick was here in AZ...constantly. And I've been involved in rescue a large part of my adult life, so I've had hundreds of dogs.

I want chickens soo bad, but we have too many fox and raccoons... We have urban farming laws that allow us city dwellers to have them. Yesterday I had a neighbors whole hive of bees collecting in some of my trees!

Speaking of bugs... I used to smoke by my fireplace, until this fell out of it one day...

Meet the wood louse spider... If you have roll-y poll-y's you have these spiders...I had never seen one before but now I see them all the time under mulch in my garden beds.

Yikes!!

It looks like a ginormous Jesus bug...do you have water near by?

Thanks for the ID Tenacious, a creek runs behind the house. I'd never seen one before, scared that you know what outta me. Then of course I remembered to get the camera. lol

haha...yes, shake not stick your hand in. That's why I don't worry about scorpions much. They're only marginally potentially fatal to infants and the elderly. When my kids were infants I put the legs of their crib in glasses, but that's it.

I'm a Jersey girl (the deer country area) and, ironically, the only place I've ever had a tick was in the Blue Ridge Mountains. And totally insanely, the only time my pets have ever had a tick was here in AZ...constantly. And I've been involved in rescue a large part of my adult life, so I've had hundreds of dogs.

We abololutely have tics here. I use the advantage stuff on my dogs and it works great and they are totally outside. sometimes even at night. About two weeks ago I found a tic on me. It was in the bend of my knee and was so embedded we had to dig it out with tweezers. I have no idea how long it had been there. But, when we got it out the hole was huge. I am still putting Neosporin on it and it just stopped itching. That was the worst itching I have ever had.

The joys of country life in East Texas. :rockon:

We abololutely have tics here. I use the advantage stuff on my dogs and it works great and they are totally outside. sometimes even at night. About two weeks ago I found a tic on me. It was in the bend of my knee and was so embedded we had to dig it out with tweezers. I have no idea how long it had been there. But, when we got it out the hole was huge. I am still putting Neosporin on it and it just stopped itching. That was the worst itching I have ever had.

Both of my dogs are topspotted by the vet regularly and they STILL get ticks. They die immediately, but I still have to detach them. Incredibly, no human family member has gotten one yet. In the olden days when I had mine we'd "heat" them out with a bic lighter!

The first time I saw one was when we moved to Houston. They call them pine bark beetles or water beetles, but never cockraoches. :floorlaugh::floorlaugh:

Oh, geesh, I call them "Walking Cigars"! ICK! Of all the things that could give me the willies, it's cockroaches! I am sooooo glad they don't exist here!:hills:

Nope. Thats not it. They are honey colored, huge bodies, short legs. They literally look like little alien animals.
Thanks for trying though. That bug looks pretty creepy!

That sounds icky alright.

My friends hubby had one on his bum! She thought it looked like a skin tag, and he wanted it off! So she got thread and tied it and cut it off. it wasn't until she was holding it with tweezers that she saw all the little legs twitching!:scared:

:floorlaugh:He would die if he knew I knew, because that means I tell anyone the story when the tick word comes up! :angel2:

Do you remember the bump???
[video=youtube;haAduyUNQN0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haAduyUNQN0&feature=player_detailpage[/video]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Backhand