SIDEBAR #15- Arias/Alexander forum

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally I think the book writers making money from someone's death or suffering are mostly scavengers-like vultures picking over road kill. JMO

Hi guys,

I'm curious to get your take on something.
How do you feel about jurors writing books?

Here's my own personal thought.. I'm not sure why people automatically make the assumption that people who write books are greedy and insincere.

I just read that one of the jurors from the case that ended this weekend (I will not break rules and say the name here) is going to write a book.

This is more of a general discussion that I'm throwing out there, not geared toward this one specific juror since it seems to happen in many cases.

I think that anybody who has experienced something in life whether it be tragedy, triumph, amusement, struggles... generally wants to talk about it.

When our beloved Arias juror, Tara, began to talk via interviews and Twitter, most of us embraced it. We couldn't wait to hear what she had to say. And speaking for myself, I really enjoyed her commentary. I wish her well, appreciate her service, and hope that it helped her heal from the experience.

But the second the dirty words "book" are mentioned, it seems that people automatically assume that the person writing is disingenous because they will get paid for it. Shouldn't we give them the benefit of the doubt first and see if perhaps they really just want to share their experience.

All of us write on this board, many write blogs, many post on social media. Is it really all that different?

I'm sure some will say yes it is different because there's money involved. But so what. We all get paid for various contributions throughout life... whether it be work, hobbies, writing or whatever. Why is getting paid for something instantly a greed thing.

It's something I've always wondered about. Why do we judge book writers so harshly?

IMO

ITA with you. When it bothers me is when a Jose Baez does it, because you just know he was in that trial for the notoriety it would give him. He had dollar signs in his eyes right from the beginning. Who would even know who the he// he was if it wasn't for that trial?

With a juror it's different. They didn't go into it for any fame or publicity, they were just doing their civic duty. If they have an interesting story to tell, I say go for it. MOO

Evening everyone.
Anything new?

(Johnny Carson is on TCM- how do like that- I remember watching him at 11:00 everynight before bed)

Similarities of "that thing in Florida", Jodia Arias, and van der Sloot:
==================================================================
Psychiatrist Dr. Dale Archer, diagnoses Ms. Arias as being "evil." Dr. Archer appears to suggest that defendants like Ms. Arias do not merit a psychiatric diagnosis beyond being deemed "evil." And that they are irredeemable. He is, of course, correct that in the current DSM system there is no diagnostic category called "evil"--though some, like the late psychiatrist M.Scott Peck, argued for its inclusion...
Most frightening to face is the fact that such evil could potentially be committed by anyone, given the right or wrong set of circumstances. (Recall, for example, the classic psychology experiments by both Milgram and Zimbardo demonstrating this frightening fact.) Each of us harbors the innate capacity for evil. Yet we prefer for obvious reasons to deny that disturbing reality, choosing instead to unconsciously project that potentiality for evil behavior-- the shadow or daimonic--onto others rather than consciously acknowledging it in ourselves. For some, a consciously chosen religious or spiritual attitude can conceal an unconscious dark side. (See my prior post.) Perhaps this is how Ms. Arias attempted to deal with her psychological demons. By denying them. But this is both futile and dangerous. (See my prior post.) What differentiates most people from defendants like Jodi Arias is that she acted out the evil we might merely furiously fantasize about at times. But dismissively calling someone "evil" can serve as a simplistic substitute for trying to better comprehend, and therefore, potentially identify, treat and prevent the complex, enigmatic and dangerous states of mind that precipitate it....
There is a close correlation between antisocial behavior and pathological narcissism. So much so that I have previously employed the term psychopathic narcissism to describe such selfish and unscrupulous individuals. Defendants like Casey Anthony (now acquitted), Joran van der Sloot (now convicted), and Jodi Arias (now convicted) typically tend to be so detached and dissociated from their own humanity that they are clueless as to what they really feel and how their inappropriate and selfish behavior is perceived by others. They appear to be heartless, depraved monsters devoid of all human caring and decency. Bad seeds. But behind their extremely effective facade, mask or persona, hides a hurt and angry little girl or boy running destructively amok in the world. Sociopaths are, as I have elsewhere argued, primarily made, not born...
Another striking similarity between Jodi, Joran and Casey is their cunning and native intelligence. We saw this clearly demonstrated, for example, in Casey's creatively elaborate lying behavior to police, her parents and others. (According to experienced prosecutor Jeff Ashton, "she was the best liar I`ve ever seen.") We also saw this in her possible complete conning of a seasoned forensic psychologist (see my prior post). And in Joran's impressive talent for telling conflicting tales designed to confuse, control and manipulate others..............
The immense narcissism of defendants like Casey Anthony, Jodi Arias and Joran van der Sloot convinces them that they can ultimately outsmart the system. This narcissistic grandiosity can be seen in Jodi's seemingly arrogant pre-trial proclamation that "no jury will ever convict me.".......
at least one very recent media interview, Ms. Arias outright denies ever being angry with Travis Alexander. Evidently, her level of dissociation is massive. And this total denial of her own inner rage speaks to the very heart of her disorder and so many like her: the dissociation of the dark side, the daimonic or the shadow. This also may be one reason why the public feels so angry with her: She evokes in others the angry feelings and hostility she chronically represses in herself, a primitive defense mechanism known psychoanalytically as projective identification. According to the evidence based on which she was convicted, Jodi Arias butchered and shot her lover in what was most likely a state of jealous rage, and then calmly and deliberately lied about it, even after being arrested. There are almost always psychological reasons for such obscenely destructive behavior. Was she truly in a state of total denial and dissociation after the crime, as one expert witness, psychologist Dr. Richard Samuels, suggested? Or was she being consciously and deliberately manipulative? Is Jodi Arias evil? Or is she mentally disturbed? Can someone be both?

BBM What do you think about this statement. Could you murder someone in the "right" circumstance?
I hope this statement is incorrect. I don't think I could hurt anyone in any circumstance.
They would have to kill me. But I could be wrong??? I hope not.
What do you think?

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/evil-deeds/201305/jodi-joran-and-casey-the-psychology-evil

Where is everybody????
talking to myself again- sigh.

Since it's open game here while we're waiting for the penalty phase, I still wanna know .....

WHERE THE HECK IS MATT McCARTNEY!!

Anybody got a scoop for me? Or does anybody really care? Probably not, but it kinda drives me crazy sometimes that he just vanished from the planet. Geesh! :banghead:

Thank goodness- thought I was all by my lonesome.
How was your day, daisy? :seeya:

A very quiet day, as always. Now I'm tired from eating potatoes and candy - diabetes. :) I'll perk up shortly!

I'm watching to Piers - very good tonight.

Since it's open game here while we're waiting for the penalty phase, I still wanna know .....

WHERE THE HECK IS MATT McCARTNEY!!

Anybody got a scoop for me? Or does anybody really care? Probably not, but it kinda drives me crazy sometimes that he just vanished from the planet. Geesh! :banghead:

I don't know, Sydni. They must have something on him??? He's probably laying low. He's incidental now, anyway.

(my computer is real slow tonight.)

A very quiet day, as always. Now I'm tired from eating potatoes and candy - diabetes. :) I'll perk up shortly!

I'm watching to Piers - very good tonight.

Jeantel looks very beautiful tonight.

What kind of combo is potatoes and candy :scared:

Similarities of "that thing in Florida", Jodia Arias, and van der Sloot:
Psychiatrist Dr. Dale Archer, diagnoses Ms. Arias as being "evil." Dr. Archer appears to suggest that defendants like Ms. Arias do not merit a psychiatric diagnosis beyond being deemed "evil." And that they are irredeemable. He is, of course, correct that in the current DSM system there is no diagnostic category called "evil"--though some, like the late psychiatrist M.Scott Peck, argued for its inclusion...
Most frightening to face is the fact that such evil could potentially be committed by anyone, given the right or wrong set of circumstances. (Recall, for example, the classic psychology experiments by both Milgram and Zimbardo demonstrating this frightening fact.) Each of us harbors the innate capacity for evil. Yet we prefer for obvious reasons to deny that disturbing reality, choosing instead to unconsciously project that potentiality for evil behavior-- the shadow or daimonic--onto others rather than consciously acknowledging it in ourselves. For some, a consciously chosen religious or spiritual attitude can conceal an unconscious dark side. (See my prior post.) Perhaps this is how Ms. Arias attempted to deal with her psychological demons. By denying them. But this is both futile and dangerous. (See my prior post.) What differentiates most people from defendants like Jodi Arias is that she acted out the evil we might merely furiously fantasize about at times. But dismissively calling someone "evil" can serve as a simplistic substitute for trying to better comprehend, and therefore, potentially identify, treat and prevent the complex, enigmatic and dangerous states of mind that precipitate it....
There is a close correlation between antisocial behavior and pathological narcissism. So much so that I have previously employed the term psychopathic narcissism to describe such selfish and unscrupulous individuals. Defendants like Casey Anthony (now acquitted), Joran van der Sloot (now convicted), and Jodi Arias (now convicted) typically tend to be so detached and dissociated from their own humanity that they are clueless as to what they really feel and how their inappropriate and selfish behavior is perceived by others. They appear to be heartless, depraved monsters devoid of all human caring and decency. Bad seeds. But behind their extremely effective facade, mask or persona, hides a hurt and angry little girl or boy running destructively amok in the world. Sociopaths are, as I have elsewhere argued, primarily made, not born...
Another striking similarity between Jodi, Joran and Casey is their cunning and native intelligence. We saw this clearly demonstrated, for example, in Casey's creatively elaborate lying behavior to police, her parents and others. (According to experienced prosecutor Jeff Ashton, "she was the best liar I`ve ever seen.") We also saw this in her possible complete conning of a seasoned forensic psychologist (see my prior post). And in Joran's impressive talent for telling conflicting tales designed to confuse, control and manipulate others..............
The immense narcissism of defendants like Casey Anthony, Jodi Arias and Joran van der Sloot convinces them that they can ultimately outsmart the system. This narcissistic grandiosity can be seen in Jodi's seemingly arrogant pre-trial proclamation that "no jury will ever convict me.".......
at least one very recent media interview, Ms. Arias outright denies ever being angry with Travis Alexander. Evidently, her level of dissociation is massive. And this total denial of her own inner rage speaks to the very heart of her disorder and so many like her: the dissociation of the dark side, the daimonic or the shadow. This also may be one reason why the public feels so angry with her: She evokes in others the angry feelings and hostility she chronically represses in herself, a primitive defense mechanism known psychoanalytically as projective identification. According to the evidence based on which she was convicted, Jodi Arias butchered and shot her lover in what was most likely a state of jealous rage, and then calmly and deliberately lied about it, even after being arrested. There are almost always psychological reasons for such obscenely destructive behavior. Was she truly in a state of total denial and dissociation after the crime, as one expert witness, psychologist Dr. Richard Samuels, suggested? Or was she being consciously and deliberately manipulative? Is Jodi Arias evil? Or is she mentally disturbed? Can someone be both?

BBM What do you think about this statement. Could you murder someone in the "right" circumstance?
I hope this statement is incorrect. I don't think I could hurt anyone in any circumstance.
They would have to kill me. But I could be wrong??? I hope not.
What do you think?

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/evil-deeds/201305/jodi-joran-and-casey-the-psychology-evil

I think I could.
But the victim would have to of killed someone I love, or seriously hurt them in such a way I felt my loved ones quality of life was taken away.
I would have to be in a position as to not care about the consequences. Had no one dependent upon me.

Ok y'all...I'm on the verge of a meltdown tonight. Please start posting some funny or thought-provoking stuff! I need to take my mind off of chit.

Jeantel looks very beautiful tonight.

What kind of combo is potatoes and candy :scared:

I do not cook. I don't like to cook! Had a Stouffer's meatloaf dinner with potatoes, and then candy. :) Sugar levels are up!

Doop
You said you went to college last night. What did you take up and do you like your job?
Did you need to go to college to get your job? I'm interested because of my younger son.
He's taking a breather from school for a while and doing volunteer work so his resume looks better for his application to grad school.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snoopysnoop