SIDEBAR #30- Arias/Alexander forum

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh my gosh. Jen Willmott has had me crying laughing when she's cross examining the ME again. My 15 year old and I laughed the first time she argued with him about how he couldn't see damage to Travis's brain because of decomposition. Even my 15 year old understood that the bullet HAD to go through his frontal lobe to get to his cheek from his forehead. So when she starts again with this line in rebuttal I nearly choked on my cup of tea. Jen, just accept geometry. For a bullet to get from point A to point B it must go in a straight line. A brain can't jump out of the way of a bullet that has just entered through the skull. Arguing that because the brain shows no evidence of a track of the bullet when it is examined after a week's decomposition means that the bullet may not have entered the brain is the most non-sensical thing I've ever heard. It's like trying to show the path of a spoon through pudding, after the spoon has left the bowl! Nice try to discredit the ME but she made herself look completely idiotic twice with that line of argument!

Oh my gosh. Jen Willmott has had me crying laughing when she's cross examining the ME again. My 15 year old and I laughed the first time she argued with him about how he couldn't see damage to Travis's brain because of decomposition. Even my 15 year old understood that the bullet HAD to go through his frontal lobe to get to his cheek from his forehead. So when she starts again with this line in rebuttal I nearly choked on my cup of tea. Jen, just accept geometry. For a bullet to get from point A to point B it must go in a straight line. A brain can't jump out of the way of a bullet that has just entered through the skull. Arguing that because the brain shows no evidence of a track of the bullet when it is examined after a week's decomposition means that the bullet may not have entered the brain is the most non-sensical thing I've ever heard. It's like trying to show the path of a spoon through pudding, after the spoon has left the bowl! Nice try to discredit the ME but she made herself look completely idiotic twice with that line of argument!

Watching the trial live last year made us all laugh during questioning by Wilmott and Nurmi. I just keep saying they had nothing to work with. And can you imagine how Nurmi felt having to give the closing argument during the penalty phase without ONE true mitigating factor nor ONE witness for her? How that jury ever came back without a decision is just beyond my imagination. Of course, we know we can all thank the foreman and his couple of minions. I have no words for him.

Was it just my ears or did I hear Jen Willmott say "What a *****" about Dr DeMarte during cross? Even Jodi seemed to look up when she said it. I watched it a few times over and I'm almost sure that's what she uttered! :laughing:

Was it just my ears or did I hear Jen Willmott say "What a *****" about Dr DeMarte during cross? Even Jodi seemed to look up when she said it. I watched it a few times over and I'm almost sure that's what she uttered! :laughing:

You heard correctly.

285 days of this year has brought us uncertain times. What will the next 80 days bring to this world?

1913 - The Panama Canal officially joined the Atlantic Ocean to the Pacific ocean when the Gamboa dike was demolished with charges of dynamite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=qIodXS1uqVs

1933 - Dreft, the first synthetic detergent, went on sale.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=dCbtZpOMS1s

1935 - Porgy and Bess open on Broadway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Jm4naA-ushY

1951 - President Harry S. Truman's opening speech is broadcast across the nation, marking the first time a television program was broadcast from coast to coast. The speech focused on Truman's acceptance of a treaty that officially ended America's post-World War II occupation of Japan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=VYNv8nphW5o

1966 - The Dating Games hit the tube. Serial killer Rodney Jame Alcala wins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Uf95INZmWI&feature=player_detailpage

!971 - Neil Diamond sing "Cracklin Rosie" to a on the charts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=s6FfjlxZLTk

and

Upstairs, Downstairs debuted on British Television

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=CSPacDUm5dk

1979 - The city of Los Angeles has "Fleetwood Mac Day" and the group was given a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. -

one of my favorites. I like the energy of it.

[video=youtube;MrRVW-p8SJ8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=MrRVW-p8SJ8 [/video]

1980 - The Police records "second UK No.1 album 'Zenyatta Mondatta', which featured, 'Don't Stand So Close to Me'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=kLIikaJCTlU

1988 - 22nd Country Music Association Award: Highway 101, K T Oslin win

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=aWf_BC2K8sw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=LJevW_x5KZI

2014 - Migrating Monarch Butterflies are dwindling due to crop failures. We've had the enjoyment of them stopping over in our orchard each year. At first, you see a few of them and by the next days there were hundreds of them all over the trees. This year we've had about twenty so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=adB638SIE1k

Yep, Jen was just winging it for the most part. Most attorneys prepare for court. Jen must not understand that in her profession there will often be homework to do.

Wow, I thought so. Wonder if she was told off in chambers for that one. I nearly fell off my chair when I heard it.

And here's one good for a belly laugh: Seems the esteemed prosecutor was trying to give examples of how a person might say they want to kill themselves and not actually be suicidal but rather it is just a figure of speech. His example hypothesized if he and Willmott were married he "would certainly want to kill myself."

LOL...Jen was in a snit over that and tried to get the judge to verbally slap him, and now has filed a motion to have the Death Penalty taken off the table for, in part, prosecutor misconduct---because of that hypothetical! Claims he was trying to insult her. Yet, she refers to a witness as a b**** right there in open court. Not many here on WS missed it, so no doubt many people in the courtroom heard her clearly.

ty !
tRUE - the costs of this sh&^-show have spiked out of control. Consider the alternate use of these monies - recently reported as being near $2million. Well, this is a small puppet show when considering what is taking place under the Big Top in North Carolina. Abaroa out in 3 years- after the DA refused to proceed w/ a 95% chance of conviction (historically, an 11-1 mistrial will not suddenly reverse itself and yield anything close to acquittal. Then there's Jason Young - having sex w/ his wife's friend- now he is on a possible North Carolina fast track to freedom. Oh, and let's not forget the master of psychological torture - Brad Cooper... who now, it appears, could be given a North Carolina Special,,, and we know what that means.

I hope STephens will approve cameras- she needs to know it will dramatically improve her chances at wealth down the road,,, unless she is frustrated by the entire process,,, and feels JA needs to get death,,, and all other matters must be suppressed.

Any progress on the Dylan Winegarden ( redwine) case? That's another one that really complicates the question of whether or not there is an absence of common sense

ha! you are funny... I get a kick out of how they both look alike with the glasses accessory. Haven't seen Kirk in a while - he looking trim? Or has he made Burger Shack his favorite errand 3x per day?

That line of questioning and the one with Janeen DeMarte were very funny, but only because Wilmott didn't know what to do, what to ask. The case for JA was hopeless.

If anyone wonders why people kill...it's because they can. So many get away with it scot free and others with just a slap on the wrist.

I for one do not feel legal matters should be suppressed. Ever. There is no good reason for the wheels of justice to turn behind closed doors. It is not right and citizens everywhere need to express this in no uncertain terms. Everything that goes on in a courtroom should be on camera...not necessarily televised but available to the public for the asking. IMO.

I never thought she was stupid. I thought and still do, that her goal was to implant doubt in the juror's minds or at the least the jurors who may not be the sharpest tools in the shed. Her voice was incredulous, and she was showing to the jurors that she just couldn't believe what he was saying, and she was doing her best to convince the jurors the bullet MAY have travelled a different path. She was trying to create doubt. She knew the bullet travelled the way the ME said, but she was doing her job. That is really all the defense had, smokescreens and creating doubt in order to confuse the jurors so they couldn't be 100% sure in what was said or claimed. IMO

Oh, ATL, I can just envision what all my neighbors would think if they saw me going down the road doing this... :floorlaugh: :floorlaugh::floorlaugh:

But Neesaki, it won't just be you! It will be me...and

gajonka, Hatfield, ILikeToBendPages, Spellbound, thefragile7393, YESorNO, Zuri

in a row doing it!

Walking dead, NOT! :floorlaugh:

I never thought she was stupid. I thought and still do, that her goal was to implant doubt in the juror's minds or at the least the jurors who may not be the sharpest tools in the shed. Her voice was incredulous, and she was showing to the jurors that she just couldn't believe what he was saying, and she was doing her best to convince the jurors the bullet MAY have travelled a different path. She was trying to create doubt. She knew the bullet travelled the way the ME said, but she was doing her job. That is really all the defense had, smokescreens and creating doubt in order to confuse the jurors so they couldn't be 100% sure in what was said or claimed. IMO

Of course that was her goal. That's what she's supposed to do. The points she was making or trying to make weren't too far off base of where she probably needed to be going. The real problem was the way she went about it. It was a mess. She'd start questioning and dig a little too far. The testimony would end up hurting her more than helping her. When the evidence is that against you, best to keep it vague. To keep pressing the ME to say he has no medical evidence of damage to the brain is not what you want to do. In fact, don't even ask the question. Don't ever open up the door to allowing a witness, especially an expert to explain in detail their own position.

She should have started as she did, with the liquefied brain. "Yes it was liquefied." "Yet you say the bullet passed through the brain." "Yes it did." "But it was liquefied." "Yes." "So you couldn't actually SEE a bullet track, right?" "That's correct, I couldn't, it was too decomposed to see any damage." And THAT is when you back off. You've done your job. You've raised that doubt. When you've scored a point, and you keep digging and digging, and you get lost it makes you look incompetent and petty. And there goes the point.

I get what she was trying to do with the "you didn't have any medical evidence" questioning. But she kept going trying to get him to say something he was never going to say. She wanted an admission that he couldn't be sure the bullet passed through the brain. She should have known he couldn't say this because of how bullet trajectories and anatomy and his own experience would prevent him from doing so. Don't try and argue facts. It also probably would have helped for her to have done some research on the subject or consulted with someone. Hey, maybe she did. But it clearly wasn't enough. And if she had, she'd have caught that dura mater typo much sooner and scored a huge point herself. But a juror ended up scoring it for her.

When the evidence is in your favor, that's when you can dig a little more, as Juan did. Some might say too much, as well. But it worked a lot better for him because he knew where he was going, what he was doing, and what the person was going to say.

Wilmott was trying for that, "can't be 100% sure," but in the end she just ended up helping him solidify his points. That's disastrous. I never got the impression that she was in control of that cross examination. The only time I felt that was after the juror question re: the typo. And it it wasn't for that juror, she never would have caught it.

I drink to that !!

We need all states to adopt the state of Florida's policy on the legal realm. Most industry personnel on both sides fight to keep these events, evidence, etc private.

We need more cameras in court rooms-

my website is "TV" as in " TRIAL VISION" and it will broadcast all - not just Judge Hurley and only 2/20 active proceedings... obvi, much has to change,,,

I agree to a point but unfortunately, Willmott didn't get the memo that you plant a seed of doubt then move on, leaving it lingering in jurors' minds. She pressed and pressed for certainty so that in the end, it was the witnesses who looked incredulous, as if they couldn't believe what she was asking. And as a result, they were pressed into giving answers which made it quite clear that what she was suggesting was impossible, completely destroying any doubt she was trying to create. And quite possibly insulting the jurors' intelligence in the process, and making them think that she was either desperate or stupid, or both, to press on with certain lines of questioning. For instance, in her overzealous attempt to create doubt about Janeen Demarte's conclusions, by suggesting her work wasn't wasn't thorough, she pressed Demarte to the point where she had to explain three times that the reason she didn't investigate why Travis said certain things was because "he's not alive", ending in this grand finale:

Willmott: So when somebody is not alive, you can't get any information from them. Is that what you mean?
Demarte: From them directly, that's correct, because they're not alive.

Of course that was her goal. That's what she's supposed to do. The points she was making or trying to make weren't too far off base of where she probably needed to be going. The real problem was the way she went about it. It was a mess. She'd start questioning and dig a little too far. The testimony would end up hurting her more than helping her. When the evidence is that against you, best to keep it vague. To keep pressing the ME to say he has no medical evidence of damage to the brain is not what you want to do. In fact, don't even ask the question. Don't ever open up the door to allowing a witness, especially an expert to explain in detail their own position.

She should have started as she did, with the liquefied brain. "Yes it was liquefied." "Yet you say the bullet passed through the brain." "Yes it did." "But it was liquefied." "Yes." "So you couldn't actually SEE a bullet track, right?" "That's correct, I couldn't, it was too decomposed to see any damage." And THAT is when you back off. You've done your job. You've raised that doubt. When you've scored a point, and you keep digging and digging, and you get lost it makes you look incompetent and petty. And there goes the point.

I get what she was trying to do with the "you didn't have any medical evidence" questioning. But she kept going trying to get him to say something he was never going to say. She wanted an admission that he couldn't be sure the bullet passed through the brain. She should have known he couldn't say this because of how bullet trajectories and anatomy and his own experience would prevent him from doing so. Don't try and argue facts. It also probably would have helped for her to have done some research on the subject or consulted with someone. Hey, maybe she did. But it clearly wasn't enough. And if she had, she'd have caught that dura mater typo much sooner and scored a huge point herself. But a juror ended up scoring it for her.

When the evidence is in your favor, that's when you can dig a little more, as Juan did. Some might say too much, as well. But it worked a lot better for him because he knew where he was going, what he was doing, and what the person was going to say.

Wilmott was trying for that, "can't be 100% sure," but in the end she just ended up helping him solidify his points. That's disastrous. I never got the impression that she was in control of that cross examination. The only time I felt that was after the juror question re: the typo. And it it wasn't for that juror, she never would have caught it.
I should check more thoroughly for other answers to the same post, before posting my own - you said it perfectly! I will excuse myself with the fact that I've only had one coffee so far this morning. Two's the firing up stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member