DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Prayers for the Alexander family today

07-02-15-1.gif

Link: https://aqu52.files.wordpress.com/2015/02/07-02-15-1.gif?w=332&h=441

Although we have been made to believe that if we let go we will end up with nothing, life reveals just the opposite: that letting go is the real path to freedom.
~Sogyal Rinpoche

I've come up with a theory as to why JSS went so overboard with worrying about future appeals. Ive thought long and hard about it and came to a conclusion and wanted to run it by people to see what everyone thinks.

The theory ties into how judges are graded by their superiors and other judges. I have to guess that one of the criteria is whether their cases ever get overturned on appeal.
Because if they begin to show a pattern that their cases constantly get overturned on appeal, it shows that they are not running a tight ship, and are improperly overseeing their cases.

Also, if a judge has any aspirations to someday become a Supreme Court judge, then I am pretty sure their "case record" becomes part of their criteria for consideration.

So with that in mind, and then enter JA's case.
It has become a highly publicised case with a lot of national news about it. The Nancy Graces of the world came out in force during the 1st trial. So its important to realize this was not any old case for JSS. It has become "the trial" of her career at this point.

So, the theory in a nutshell is I think JSS began to do everything in her power and even going way too far overboard to prevent this particular case from ever having a successful future appeal from the defendent.

A judge is supposed to be fair to both sides during a trial. Unfortunately by going overboard in trying to ensure this case would be "Appeal-Proof", one of the adverse results of that was not being as fair to the Prosecution side as she was to the defendent's side. It seems the defendent side got practically everything they asked for and the kitchen sink, where the State was limited more. At least it seemed that way.

Now for some actual proof of the theory.

When her "allow secret testimony" decision was overturned by the COA, the COA court specifically wrote in their opinion about how JSS was worried about future appeals. Listing that part below. Paragraph 13 on page 6 of the COA.

"Although expressing concern that Arias was being manipulative, the court
stated it had considered the potential legal ramifications if an appellate
court later determined that Arias did not voluntarily waive her right to
present evidence in mitigation. As a result, the court closed the
proceeding for Arias’ testimony."

Link to COA below:
http://www.courtchatter.com/2014/12/jodi-arias-court-of-appeals-opinion.html

The bottom line is I think all judges try to run all their cases legally and keep them Appeal-Proof. It is fine to have a healthy concern for that.

But where things go into the fog is when the fear of future Appeals begins to adversely affect decision making to a point where it becomes unfair to one side. Or other adverse things begin to happen in a trial case. Things like.

-not being fair to both sides
-too many needless delays happen because of granting the defense too many unreasonable requests they ask for.
-too many sidebars are granted, thus causing more delays
-outright lies are allowed to be stated in front of the jury
-false accusations are allowed to be stated in front of the jury
-no admonishments are given when they should have been
-the jury may be swayed by what they are witnessing. Like they begin to wonder things are actually true if they are allowed to be accused like that
-needless taxpayer money is wasted on all the delays

In Summary:
The bottom line is there is a real adverse affect when it starts to affect the trial by worrying too much about future appeals.

A trial can and should be run Appeal-Proof without having to sacrifice all the above.

Morning all. Very disappointed yesterday. JSS made all the difference. She sure needs some lessons in leadership. That's my opinion.

I feel that if the jury hangs...the last 5 months will be all for nothing! I am disappointed also and dragging Travis through the slime pit was beyond anything I have ever seen in a court of law. SHAME on them!!

Prayers for Alexander family and friends.

Good Morning

We may have a problem with seeing the complete retrial :( (I had posted this on the last thread, but I don't think anyone paid attention to it):
----------------------------------------

Jen's Trial Diaries ‏@TrialDiariesJ 9m9 minutes ago
Come and read Jarrett and Jen's statement regarding the #JodiArias trial footage https://www.facebook.com/thetrialdiaries

https://www.facebook.com/thetrialdiaries/posts/559682847501581
------------------------

"..about paying to watch the ‪#‎JodiArias‬ sentencing retrial...."

" local media won't be charging you to view the highlights, but they will be edited and limited.."

https://www.facebook.com/Justice4Travis/posts/792835200792624
---------------------

I definitely paid attention to it YoN ~
The only thing that will not be paid for by me anyway, is MONEY to watch the whole entire trial :smile: I'll watch the free stuff :wink:

This is what gets me when people say that the smirk will be wiped off CMJA's face once she goes to prison. She's been in jail for nearly seven years now (two in solitary) and she's still smirking away.

LOL...My-Future-Ex,
I have been keeping company with you and reading your posts, but I've never noticed your signature until just now! And it's sooo funny!!

Willmott: You wouldn't want to do any further investigation as to why he [Travis] might say something like that, right?
Demarte: I can't do that. He's not alive.
Willmott: We would want to look at, then, behaviors and investigate maybe whether or not there is any true meaning behind these words, right?
Demarte: I couldn't do that because he's not alive.
Willmott: So when somebody is not alive, you can't get any information from them. Is that what you mean?
Demarte: From them directly, that's correct, because they're not alive.

:floorlaugh:

Some juror's decision not to decide? But I think they have decided their decision already and won't budge from it and that's their choice,

Good choice of music, tho'. Thanks.

Wendi Andriano filed an appeal (one of many) after her jury was deadlocked and the judge gave an impasse instruction. She claimed the jurors were coerced by the judge to give her the DP. It's a real interesting read, especially hearing from the jurors and what all they went through during this trial.

*With a bonus of Juan Martinez being the prosecutor.

http://murderpedia.org/female.A/a/andriano-wendi.htm

Ambien post alert (it always makes me get all sappy): You guys are the best over here at the Sidebar. I love the other chatty/debating thread, too, but I always feel at home over here with Bernina. Bernina and Yes/No take such good care of us over here. It's been a rough ride and tomorrow's shenanipants will soon be upon us.

(I'm secretly hoping for a huge, HUGE, huge ice storm tonight so I can ditch work and hang out with you guys in my pjs during the madness tomorrow. Shhhh, don't tell my boss.)

Hugs to my (((sidebar peeps))))

:eek:fftobed:

BBM

How's the weather, Finally? Did you make it to work or will we get to share your company? Nasty weather south of us.

BBM

How's the weather, Finally? Did you make it to work or will we get to share your company? Nasty weather south of us.

Hi Spellbound :wave:

We are south of you and it is pouring rain at the moment. It was 43 degree's when I got up this morning. Schools are closed because of all this darn rain will be freezing as the cold front moves in, bringing with it another "gift" of snow for us. :gaah:

We had so many warm days before Feb. 16th that my daffodils were coming up. I had recently told my sister that we've been really lucky this winter...Me and my big mouth!!! I guess Mother nature was listening, and she didn't like what I was saying :wink:

http://www.google.org/publicalerts/alert?aid=8de93eeb608a5d9f&hl=en&gl=US&source=web

Interesting reading (Wendi Andriano's jury was given the "dynamite" instructions and came back 2 days later with the death penalty)

STATE v. ANDRIANO

"...4. Jury coercion

¶ 53 Andriano argues that the trial court coerced the jury's death verdict in two ways when it gave an impasse instruction:  (1) by giving the instruction before ascertaining whether the jury was truly deadlocked;  and (2) by improperly instructing the jury about its duty to deliberate.  “In determining whether a trial court has coerced the jury's verdict, this court views the actions of the judge and the comments made to the jury based on the totality of the circumstances and attempts to determine if the independent judgment of the jury was displaced.”  State v. Huerstel, 206 Ariz. 93, 97, ¶ 5, 75 P.3d 698, 702 (2003)....

http://caselaw.findlaw.com/az-supreme-court/1015530.html

Dang it I should read all of the posts before I post! Sorry about that YoN :smile:
I should have remembered that YoN is always one step ahead of all of us! :sleuth:

BBM

Nothing, no storm, nothing. The storm should hit later today, so I'm at the office and hope for an early release. Work will not be receiving ANY of my attention, though, because I'M ON VERDICT WATCH, PEOPLE!!
:shame:

GOOD MORNING < I wouldn't want Laurence to accuse me of being biased :wink: (even though I am)
Here is an excellent read from over in the retrial thread and posted by a member of ours that is also New York attorney. I brought it over here so everyone could read it.

Originally by posted by Boytwnmom
*******************Verified Attorney

I tend to agree-the "attitude"

exhibited by the trial management skills of this judge, combined with the the excess of testimony concerning the victim rather than the defendant, may have tended to skew the perception of the jury here as to what the actual issues were. I have a legal background and I found it incredibly difficult to reconcile the fact that this was supposed to be a trial about whether there was sufficient mitigation to spare the life of the defendant with the actual proceedings which focused on proctorial misconduct, *advertiser censored*/child *advertiser censored*/computer evidence and the psychological "experts" who focused on the psychological makeup and tendencies of the victim rather than on the defendant. I really believe a different judge may have made a difference. This should never have taken this long. The scope of evidence and testimony should have been limited. To allow the focus of so much of the mitigation testimony to be on the victim presented a false picture of what the proceeding was about and what mitigation is. But how would the jury know? If 90% of the testimony is about the victim why should they be thinking about heinous the crime was and how the defendant lacked mitigation.

Defense experts should not have been attempting to "diagnose" the victim which is the reality of what they were doing despite their claims otherwise and despite the fact that I doubt the standards of their profession would have allowed such a diagnosis on a deceased person via selected e-mails sent by a victim to the person who murdered him. I know for sure victims rights were not advanced by this process. And the guarantees of due process for the defendant are not a license to "convict" a murder victim on charges never leveled against him. All along Nurmi's strategy was to wear down the jury, to drag this out so that any serious urgency was negated and to confuse the jury with regard to who was on trial for what. And this judge let him win time and time again. He is simply getting the mistrial and thus life sentence he has bargained for all along one way or another. And I do totally blame this judge.

I am not one who thinks JSS is taken in by Jodi or has any sympathy for her at all. She acknowledged as much when she permitted the absurd secret testimony but noted that Jodi was being manipulative. Yet she allowed herself to be manipulated. Over and over. I think she lacks confidence in her decisions. My experience with tough NY judges was that they never lived in fear of appeal. They made what they felt were the correct decisions and let appeals lie in the future. They had no qualms about time limits and holding both sides to schedules. Once the DT sensed JSS's uncertainly they took full advantage. She has aided and abetted their strategy.

Personally, I don't care what sentence Jodi gets. Either way her goose is cooked. All I cared about was the 1st degree conviction. But I felt the victim's family deserved to get the DP they wanted. This whole process has been absurd-this murder occurred in June 2008 people! That family has gone through way too much. I agree with KCL and others that victims rights needs some work in AZ if this trial is an example.

Yup! That about says it, defense team sharks circling the judge's weaknesses like blood in the water. A 3mil+ defense for someone who has contributed nothing to society but murder and mayham. Throw in another mil on appeals if she gets death penalty. I hate this case and how it shows not only public funds can be bend over but also officers of the court. Jmo

ciao

Is he the one who disguised himself as a women and was a millionaire?

Think I watch a program about him.

Yes, Durst is the guy that shaved his eyebrows, dressed as a woman, and was caught shoplifting a small item even though he is a millionaire. LOL

Here is our weather forecast:

BTW ALL SCHOOLS we closed as of last night!!

US National Weather Service Paducah Kentucky

A Winter Storm Warning is in effect through tonight. As temperatures fall below freezing, rain will change over to a brief period of freezing rain and then a prolonged period of sleet from northwest to southeast through the day. The rain to mix line will likely be near the Ohio River by late morning and to the Tennessee border by mid afternoon. After several hours of sleet, a changeover to snow is expected during the afternoon and early evening. Snow, moderate to heavy at times, will continue tonight before tapering off late tonight and early Thursday morning. Total snow and sleet accumulations will range from 4 to 10 inches. Locally higher amounts are possible in areas that receive banded snow. Travel will become very hazardous later today and tonight.

Everyone, no matter where you live, wear blue tomorrow for support of Justice for Travis Alexander.

Peeking in today...wearing my blue!

Hoping, hoping, hoping..........

If it really can't be DP...then stop the insanity today and call it. The poor Alexander family.........

It's tough for me to check in since things are always busy, but I just wanted to offer words of encouragement. :seeya: This jury will decide whatever it decides and take as much time as it needs; in any case the convicted murderer is going to prison, whether the jury is hung or not.

Thanks for the tweets. I get in here and follow as I can.

Nothing, no storm, nothing. The storm should hit later today, so I'm at the office and hope for an early release. Work will not be receiving ANY of my attention, though, because I'M ON VERDICT WATCH, PEOPLE!!
:shame:

Well FinallyRegistered, we've got it coming to Ky. < Dag- gone- it ~ (every time I type or even see that I think of Jodi) :gaah: anyway, I would LOVE to be able to twitch my nose and have the ice and snowstorm do a U-turn to the left and straight down there to ya in Oklahoma!

I can't believe your place of employment has the gall to expect you to work while we're on verdict watch! They should be reported! :giggle:

lit my candle, wearing my blues. Surrounding the Alexander family in love and light. Can't watch for verdict and so appreciate the links and tweets to keep me updated late in the evenings. Continue to stand with everyone awaiting a final verdict in justice (true justice - not in CMJA speak :facepalm: grrr).

Hope my groans and rants don't wake ya'll when I read back at night.
Peace out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member