SIDEBAR #46 - Arias/Alexander forum

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks so much to everyone.
I've caught up and wrote ALL the new replies down in my folder I keep for my dog.

A lot of the posts were right on the mark as to what I should try. I also need to get more aggressive in making sure i keep him bathed regularly and keep applying what does help him.

I feel bad because I sometimes tend to forget about his condition, and then when I see him rolling on the floor on his back to scratch himself like last night, I realize I need to do something.

A lot of the suggestions were perfect and on the mark.

Bernina brought up a really interesting theory. His condition did seem to develop like she was talking about. He was fine until he got a little older (maybe 8) and we had only been using Frontline for maybe 2 or 3 years, and since I probably was not using it as often as I was supposed to, he definitely did get a bad case of fleas. I think we have most of the fleas killed now off of him with his monthly worm "combo-flea-kill" medicine, but I do have to wonder about that great theory she has. The fleas themselves may have developed a resistance to the Frontline and the fleas themselves may deposit some sort of chemical into the dog and basically the dog gets allergic to that.

I dont think he has fleas anymore but he may still have the toxins from whatever the fleas put in his bloodstream or something like that. Because we inspect him real carefully after a good bath and we dont see any fleas. It basically is a skin condition.

It amazes me how close some of the posts were describing similar issues and in a weird way, it actually helps me to not feel alone. We have really tried to fight this condition for him many times.

The one thing I know I am guilty of is not staying persistant with treatments, so I definitely will ramp up my attack on this and at least keep him comfortable.

I will try to attack it on multiple fronts and try some of the suggestions for sure. I may give him a dose of benedryl tonight because I do know he gets instant relief from that. Its just hard to pill my dog. LOL

I like the 1 suggestion of the liquid, but I even tried that before and he wont let me get near him when I got a plastic syringe in hand. LOL It becomes hilarious as I try to fool my dog in giving him any kind of pill or liquid. What I find works best is to get some really good meat like a hotdog or steak chunks, and I take the time to dig out a hold and bury it in a small piece. Once he knows it is good meat, he usually will start swallowing whole to get the pill.

The funny thing is when he figures out what I am doing, he will chew his food more carefully and spit out the pill chunk. LOL

Oh...such fun we have.

AGAIN, THANKS SO MUCH TO EVERYONE. I really appreciate it and I copied each and every one of the replies into my folder.

I love coming here to our Sidebar thread. There are some really caring people here and I appreciate it very much.

THANK YOU ALL!!!

Just one more suggestion, Hatfield, if you do put your baby on antibiotics you might consider a probiotic as well. :seeya:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifest...644_story.html

"It would seem that Websleuths’ great talent lies in opening cases, not closing them. Sure, you’ll find gossipy housewives and homebound retirees, unchecked Nancy Drews convinced that they can out-police the police. But from the beginning, many of the Internet’s most devoted detectives have just wanted to keep cold cases alive, convinced that one more witness, one more detail, could somehow sift out with time."
BBM
-----------

The nerve.
:snooty:
Signed,
A proud gossipy retiree
(hey, I can multi-task)

They're just jealous.

Yeah, I knew everyone would love this, lol. ;)

BBM: Try peanut butter or hide it in a marshmallow! Marshmallows tend to work pretty good cause they just woof it down, no chewing! :floorlaugh: (Just don't tell me he's diabetic!)
What works best is not taken orally. Theres a product(sorry I forgot the name) that comes in a small tube. You squeeze it on the dogs skin in between their shoulder blade. Ask your local vet about it. On another note, Im leary about products sold at the petshops.

P.S.Anyone is windows 8 hard to get used to? or, is it just a matter of change. Looked at Toshibas but reviews say cheaper ones are so slow. Need a new one but on strict budget. any answers appreciated.

Ive heard problems with 8-

P.S.Anyone is windows 8 hard to get used to? or, is it just a matter of change. Looked at Toshibas but reviews say cheaper ones are so slow. Need a new one but on strict budget. any answers appreciated.

Stay with Win 7, Nore. I have Win 8 and don't like it nor do I know how to do anything with it.

Stay with Win 7, Nore. I have Win 8 and don't like it nor do I know how to do anything with it.

I totally agree. Used a win 8 for a few days but hated it! When we brought our new 'puter we went with Win 7. Three other people I know chose Win 8 and are very sorry they did.

---------
Hi cofeejunkie , I am doing that also more and more. So many products made in China. I will not feed him anything from china have to watch my own diet. many things coming from china!, no toys either. I find it so easy to convert a bit for my "puppy" I make a lot of stews etc. which are good for him. He is on meds now for CHF..(me too!).. mild spaghetti sauce.:lol: gods he is so cute!! Watch Del Monte and Libbys people foods!! My granddaughter (Vet tech) was mauled by a cat bit, clawed on Monday~wrapped himself around her leg and chomped. Owner~cat is berserk in cage "oh no muzzle he doesn't bite". she went to urgicenter and got the day off 9am.. cat IS up on shots thank God..

I totally agree, nothing, ever, from China. Their products are only rarely and randomly tested , and many dogs and cats have tragically died from their tainted products. Many from Melamine poisoning.

I think I've told the story of our baby, a Schnauzer, becoming extremely ill, when he was only about 18 months old. He went into kidney failure, was very sick for 2 - 3 months, and was so weak he could hardly walk, eat, was limping, etc. Went through all of the testing, and no one, not one of the Vets I took him to had any answers. Including my DH's daughter who is a vet. I couldn't believe it, all clueless.

I had already started my own research, which I continued daily, hours on end. I was obsessed, I know you all here know how that is. I was convinced at first it was from chicken jerky treats we had been giving him, they were made in China. But it didn't all add up. I ruled out many other possibilities as well, including Hibiscus blooms that our dog loved to munch during his back yard excursions. Come to find out they aren't toxic, so that wasn't' it either.

I can't remember how long I researched before I finally came across something on the FDA website on their recalls of pet foods. Aha! I had finally found something. The food he had been eating had been voluntarily recalled, due to toxic levels of Vitamin D . Vitamin D that had been meant for Chicken Feed, apparently a sequencing error during processing. Surprising from such a high quality pet food, Blue Buffalo. Interestingly enough , even after I found this information and presented it to the Veterinarians I had consulted, they still seemed oblivious and in denial. Looking back, I think it's just that they didn't like that someone else had to to tell them what the problem was. Yet at the time, all I could think was, wow, these so called animal DOCTORS are totally clueless.

Thankfully, after all of that our baby made a full recovery and today is very healthy. He was on special kidney diet food (low protein) for a time, and I also gave him some herbs to detox and strengthen his kidneys. I do want to add that the Blue Buffalo company is a totally stand up company. For one thing, as soon as they knew their were problems being reported, they voluntarily recalled the food. They also reimbursed all of our veterinary expenses which were just under a $1000.00. That said, I still changed his food, idk, what would you do ?

My one Border Terrier was having the same type of problem. I switched her to a total grain free diet & she has not had any problems since. Feed Honest Kitchen & grain free dry kibble. Honest Kitchen is really the tops. Good luck hope he feels better soon.

Oh, my youngest "child" was a border terrier!

I have a cheaper windows 8. Getting used to it isn't too hard but it is slow. That is a drawback. But I plan to use it mainly for Embroidery designs so hopefully I will get used to it. I have only had it a few months.

Ive been meaning to ask our Sidebar group if you know something I could put on my Yorkie's skin to help him out.

He has had a pretty bad case of some sort of skin problem that makes him itch really bad and his skin on his back has these little bumps/flaky scab type things. He itches really bad from it and his skin gets really warm in those areas.

I went to the Vet at least 5 different times over the course of 3 years now for this same condition that has never really went away. The vet at first thought it was some sort of skin allergy but then the Vet decided it was Fleas which he did have. So I have the dog on Flea medicine which is a monthly pill and part of a medicine that kills intestinal worms. It is supposed to kill fleas and flea eggs too.

Hes been on this for 4 months now and yet his skin problem is still there. The skin seemed to do a little better at first but those bumps/scabs are still pretty bad.

I also use Frontline for Fleas also.

So I was wondering about a couple things

1-Does anybody know of some kind of good lotion or creme or something that would soothe his itchy inflamed skin?
I've almost went as far as using Calydryl sometimes because i know his skin bothers him a lot and calydryl works great for itching for me but I havent used that yet because of course it isnt meant for dogs.

2-Do people think the Fleas + Flea eggs are maybe still under his skin and that may still be the real problem and it is just going to take more time for it to clear up?

3-Is his skin issue something else entirely and 2 different Vets havent got it right yet?

All opinions are welcome. Thanks everyone .

Sorry to hear about your sweet pup. I've had Terriers for years. While I love their tenacity and nearly shed-free coats, they DO come with a tendency towards skin allergies. Either the skin becomes scaly, scabby or bumpy, or their ears smell yeasty and ooze or they can't stop licking their paws when allergies kick in. Diet is nearly always the culprit although allergies to flea BITES can also be an issue. Systemic flea prevention is truly a godsend. After the first terrier we figured things out but it was a lot of trial and error. Diet wise, I had them on Nature's Recipe Hypo-allergenic formula. No beef, corn, chicken or wheat. That worked for many years. Several years ago we discovered Taste of the Wild, salmon/fish formula. Amazing! I completely credit the switch with saving my Westie's luxating patella issue, in additional to keeping him free of all skin and coat issues. Even the vet remarked on his fabulous skin and fur every time he had a visit.

Good luck with your Yorkie!

I have a Yorkie also. Her name is Audrey. I never had a flea problem with my dogs when I lived in Southern California. I moved to east Texas and the fleas rule here. I did the Frontline treatment, the Capstar treatment.

After a few years, those treatments did not work. I purchased some Nutscene twine and cut off a length of it and soaked it in citronella essential oil and made a collar for her. I treat hot spots with lanolin. So far, so good.

Same thing happened to me with a Westie and a move to South Texas from Oklahoma.

15 years ago today, my Mother passed away at the age of 63 of a massive heart attack. Not a day goes by that I don't think about her.
I miss her...

15 years ago today, my Mother passed away at the age of 63 of a massive heart attack. Not a day goes by that I don't think about her.
I miss her...
Im sure you smile when you think of her. Same here.

Hatfield cant quote you. I work heavily in staffordshire terrier rescue. I can tell you after 15years they have terrible skin allergies. The best thing you can do immediately is put them on a raw diet or grain free. Until it's under control you can give them topical benadryl for discomfort. Also steroid injection will help for the immediate. You will notice a fast improvement if its food allergies If you don't they may have a skin contact dermatitis just process of elimination.

JustDaTruth ‏@*************** 3h3 hours ago
Just so everyone's clear it was #JodiArias who had to call those teen girls—they couldn't call her—she had to make first move
-------------------------

Juan Martinez's Tie ‏@juanstie 7h7 hours ago
Nurmi files new motion!
#JodiArias

B_0_ZyyUIAAGPQe.png

:floorlaugh::floorlaugh:

That examiner article was quite interesting.

Coffeejunkie, I am so sorry about your mom. Such a young person. Let us celebrate today with the good memories and the kindness she instilled in you. :hug:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SapphireGem