SIDEBAR #57 - Travis Alexander forum

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought JVM's book was slightly better than Shanna's, which surprised me. But I agree with Tiger09 that it was her typical show mode. Wish I knew how to share a Kindle book, but I don't have the fancy membership so I don"t think I can.

Good Morning to All...Calling for sunshine day and I will be so glad! The last 4 days have been nothing but cold rains, it has been such a cold dampness it seeped right through your bones :giggle:

Y/N ~ I never received Nurmi's book :( so it's gonna be playing catch up with me reading your take on the book...LOL. Talked with Amazon yesterday about it and they credited my account and said that if I so happen get the book, keep it, no need send it back.

My advice for the day is...SMILE! Treat others with honesty and respect and believe in yourself. Have an awesome day and be a blessing to others.

One of my Mother's fav cookie recipe that she made every Christmas:

Mexican Wedding Cookies

1 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 1/4 cups sifted flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup chopped walnuts
powdered sugar (for rolling baked cookies in)

Cream together butter and powdered sugar until light and fluffy; stir in vanilla.
Whisk together flour and salt; add gradually to butter mixture; stir in chopped nuts.
Chill dough if it seems too soft.
Form dough into 1 1/4" balls and place onto parchment-lined or ungreased baking sheets.
Bake at 400° for 10-12 minutes or just until the cookies start to turn light golden-brown; remove from oven and allow to cool slightly;
Remove them from baking sheets and roll, a few at a time, in powdered sugar until evenly coated; cool cookies completely on wire racks.

I will also be making some :) Yummy!

Good morning all from the rainy east coast,

I need a little advice or opinion. the past two years have been incredibly rough for me, prob the hardest in my life for a multitude of reasons. i have been staying home with the kids, the oldest is 4, youngest is 16 months. I got a new job but after a week, the cost of day care and gas to and from work was not good, plus with traffic I couldn't get to their school by the time they had to be picked up and both my parents work and my husband is in The old state we used to live in dealing with all the workers compensation and legal stuff from his accident that occurred on the job. It's a huge mess and I have never been so bad off financially in my life. The state my husband is in randomly cut off his workers compensation bc one of the Drs filled out form wrong. The lawyer we have said they would get it fixed but it hasn't been yet. I am so embarrassed. I got health insurance through the health insurance market place for me and the kids until this nightmare ends and I can start work again or whatever once we get our settlement but until then I'm just so stressed. I always had great insurance through work and now all I can afford is this terrible Aetna plan, My once perfect credit is now ruined, I can't afford a darn thing, it's seriously embarrassing. My parents told me to make a list of all living expenses and they would take care of it until my husband and his lawyer get things straightened out but I'm so embarrassed, I feel like such a burden on my parents. I feel so naive for thinking something like this would never happen to me. I always spent within my means, paid my bills, had a job, etc so this is just very very stressful, embarrassing, and I feel like a failure. I know my parents offered to help,but it's still embarrassing.

Has anyone ever been through tough financial times and came out the other end ok? Im so stressed I have ulcers, my hair is falling out, panic attacks, and just feeling like a failure. I'm trying to be grateful for all the good things (Family, and friends) in my life but it's hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel right now in terms of this financial mess. My husband says he will handle it but some previous poor financial decisions he has made without my consent leaves me skeptical that he is doing everything he can to assist his lawyer properly. Sorry for the rant. I prob sound like a brat but I don't know how else to describe it

Mollyandme, I have been through similar times. I stayed in a lousy marriage until the kids grew up, but left with $50 to my name. Stayed at a house my parents owned for one year, worked three jobs to make ends meet. Thankfully, I had no one else to support then. And somehow I did it all.

I eventually remarried and within a year I had to leave my GOOD job due to health issues and we had to depend on hubby's low-paying, unreliable job. His parents helped us out a lot financially, and like you I was terribly embarrassed. Somehow, I managed to push hubby into finding better employment and eventually things turned around nicely for us. We will never be rich, but it felt good when we paid the last payment to the in-laws when we were finally able. Part of our "debt" they wrote off as a gift or as "payment for my cleaning their house when I could", which really lessened the pressure, but I could not just take and not give back when I was able.

I understand the cost of child care and car gas and maintenance making a job's wages not balance out. I do hope you have applied for some assistance (food stamps at least?). Do you have friends or family that might need your services for pay, such as cleaning or yard work? Are you skilled at sewing repairs?

It must feel terribly sad to be separated from your husband when you need each other's support and shared responsibilities. I assume there is a reason you cannot move to where your husband and family are. I wish I knew what to say to make this burden a little lighter. Hang in there for those beautiful kids. They will learn to work hard and stretch a dollar from you.

Mollyandme, I think most of us has been through rough times and we survive! I'm sorry that you are going through this :hug:

When our kids were young we extended our credit beyond our means and it was rough, but we made it and you will too. God Bless you and your family and don't be ashamed or embarrassed. I will say a prayer for your needs. Hang in there...there is a light at the end of the darkness.

ETA: And, this is what the SB is all about, sharing life's problems and support :) :grouphug:

Morning all! :wave:

MsJosie said:
Remember compound words? What was once a compound word in the 50's id now two words.....and diagraming sentences....yuck!

HUH?? :waitasec: :laughing: I wasn't that great in English... it's my third language...

Caylee Advocate said:
Jodi's Toadies, I like the ring to it. Possibly her support site could rename that terrible place and use your Banner, LOL. They do like to call Juan... "Frog"

:laughcry: Oh too funny!! Thanks for my laugh for the day!!! :D

I liked Tom Jones' "Green Green Grass of Home"! But didn't like him... LOL! {now, notice how I typed Jones' } :happydance:

Hey samspace070! Nice to see you posting here! :seeya:

Zuri said:
Niner, I went to school from 1962-1980 and I can't remember nuthin. I am grateful for the input. Shanna Hogan wrote Travis's and I was like whoa, I didn't. But then again, I haven't been published...Is that a valid excuse? Lol

Yep! Good valid excuse! :lol:

coffeejunkie said:
Good Morning to All...Calling for sunshine day and I will be so glad! The last 4 days have been nothing but cold rains, it has been such a cold dampness it seeped right through your bones :giggle:

Y/N ~ I never received Nurmi's book :( so it's gonna be playing catch up with me reading your take on the book...LOL. Talked with Amazon yesterday about it and they credited my account and said that if I so happen get the book, keep it, no need send it back.

My advice for the day is...SMILE! Treat others with honesty and respect and believe in yourself. Have an awesome day and be a blessing to others.

If you don't get your book, I have a poster from the Discussion thread that just mailed me her copy; so, if you would like to read it, she said I can just continue to pass it around...
and here's my SMILE for the day!
big-smile2-smiley.gif

And you TOO have an awesome day Lady!
bliss-smiley.gif

snipped by me
Mollyandme said:
Has anyone ever been through tough financial times and came out the other end ok? Im so stressed I have ulcers, my hair is falling out, panic attacks, and just feeling like a failure. I'm trying to be grateful for all the good things (Family, and friends) in my life but it's hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel right now in terms of this financial mess. My husband says he will handle it but some previous poor financial decisions he has made without my consent leaves me skeptical that he is doing everything he can to assist his lawyer properly. Sorry for the rant. I prob sound like a brat but I don't know how else to describe it

Oh :hug: - I have been through hard financial times too! I got laid off from a very good job in 2008 when Wall Street crashed; couldn't find ANY kind of job, when all through my life I've had some good ones. I believe it was my age - had to apply for unemployment, and thank goodness they extended that for 99 weeks! Had to go on Social Security before I wanted to. The Huz didn't have a job at that time either, but we made it through. There IS light at the end of the tunnel. Like Spellbound said - apply for food stamps and other benefits you can get! :luv:
from-me-to-you-smiley.gif

and it's been VERY cold here
freez-in2-smiley.gif
Last night it was 34 and today's high 55!

Hoping Bernina checks in with us soon! Wonder what she is up too?

Okay - I think this post is long enough!
Later!

Good-Afternoon-Graphics-25.jpg

Link: http://www.graphics20.com/funny/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Good-Afternoon-Graphics-25.jpg
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Never did go out shopping yesterday. I'm not feeling well. My son seems to have given me his cold that he has had all during this past holiday. :(
Rainy, cold, and deary day here.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ashley Darby's death ruled a homicide

"Nearly two months have passed since searchers found Flagstaff residents Jeriah Hildwine and Ashley Darby shot to death on the San Francisco Peaks. Now, the Coconino County Medical Examiner’s Office has declared Darby’s death a homicide...."

http://azdailysun.com/news/local/cr...cle_76fbb84e-c3c4-5004-8f50-9192cf273af5.html
-----------------------------------------------------------------

TORRANCE MOTHER CONVICTED IN STABBING DEATHS OF 3 DAUGHTERS

"TORRANCE, Calif. (KABC) -- A Torrance mother was convicted on three counts of first-degree murder charges Monday for stabbing her three young daughters to death last year.

If she is found to be sane, 32-year-old Carol Ann Coronado faces life in prison without the possibility of parole....

Prosecutors were not seeking the death penalty, according to the L.A. County District Attorney's Office."

http://abc7.com/news/torrance-mother-convicted-in-stabbing-deaths-of-3-daughters/1104475/

Mother accused of stabbing her three young daughters to death pleads not guilty by reason of insanity

"Carol Ann Coronado was also charged with the attempted murder of her own mother in Torrance, California

The 30-year-old is eligible for the death penalty over the multiple murders in May

Coronado's attorney said she was suffering from undiagnosed post-partum depression at the time of the stabbings

The mother-of-three was taken to a mental hospital after she tried to take her own life by stabbing herself in the chest..."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-death-pleads-not-guilty-reason-insanity.html
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mom could go to jail for letting her son play outside alone :sheesh:

"...That's what happened to Sonya Hendren when she let her 4-year-old son, Tomahawk, play on their gated Sacramento, California, apartment complex playground by himself. She felt her son could handle playing unsupervised 120 feet from her apartment's front door, but her neighbor disagreed. According to local news outlet CBS8, the neighbor, Sonja Horrell, reported Hendren to Child Protective Services, and Hendren was arrested for felony child neglect and endangerment.

The charges were later reduced to misdemeanors, and Hendren is hoping to get them dropped completely...."

http://www.sheknows.com/parenting/articles/1104363/mom-faces-jail-son-play-outside-alone
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Boy's murder conviction sharpens debate on whether juveniles are fit to waive rights

"Jseph, 10, had just told police he shot his father while he slept. The father had threatened to remove smoke detectors from the home and burn the family in it, the boy related, and had beaten him and his stepmother.

A detective told Joseph he had the right to remain silent and asked whether Joseph understood that.

"That means I have the right to stay calm," Joseph replied.

After hearing more explanation from the detective, Joseph waived his rights and was later convicted of murder. He was one of hundreds of juveniles interrogated by police in California each year who waive legal rights that some experts say the youngsters do not understand..."

http://www.latimes.com/local/crime/la-me-kids-confess-20151129-story.html
-------------------------------------------------------------

Judges not supposed to be 'tough on crime'

"The predictable criticism by a segment of our society that routinely lambasts judges for being “soft on crime” because of sentencing decisions they make is generally misguided because the critics often fail to appreciate the adverse consequences of excessive sentences...

A judge is only supposed to sentence a person to prison if confinement is necessary to protect the public, the person needs correctional treatment available only in confinement, or it would unduly depreciate the seriousness of the offense to not confine the person...

Judges are not supposed to be “tough on crime.” Judges are supposed to be fair and independent. Justice is supposed to be blind. Our Constitution and our system of justice demands that judges adhere to this principle of fairness and justice based on the facts of a specific case, not based on emotional and ill-informed demands for draconian sentences."

http://www.sheboyganpress.com/story...recidivism-sentencing-united-states/76447072/
---------------------------------------------------------------

Details in crime coverage can present problems

"Journalists must always strive to make coverage of the criminal justice system as fair and complete as possible.."

http://www.kansascity.com/opinion/opn-columns-blogs/public-editor/article46795835.html
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Teen who sprayed mace at clerk said crime ‘looked easy’ on TV :sheesh:

"EVERETT — The 17-year-old said it looked easy on TV, so he thought he’d give it a try.

Nearly two months later he remained behind bars, charged with first-degree robbery. Prosecutors allege that the teen and his 15-year-old brother turned a beer run into a painful attack on a convenience store clerk.

The teens reportedly stole three bottles of beer and sprayed the clerk with powerful mace intended to ward off bear attacks..."

http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20151128/NEWS01/151129172
------------------------------------------------------------

Jewish peer who fled Nazis is rescuing Christians fleeing Isis to repay 'debt'
Lord Weidenfeld, 95, credits Christians with helping him get to Britain in 1938

"....Lord Weidenfeld says he has “a debt to repay” to Christians fleeing Isis, because the Quakers and the Plymouth Brethren fed and clothed him and helped him to reach Britain in 1938...."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...ians-fleeing-isis-to-repay-debt-10388388.html
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Kids Return The Love To 'Grandma In The Window' Who Waves To Them Daily (with clip)

"Love is what makes the wheels on this school bus go round and round.

Every afternoon, the students riding on bus 7 in Arlington, Washington, receive warm waves from an elderly woman as they pass by her home, KING 5 reported. Known as “the grandma in the window,” she is a daily staple for this group of kids, as well as for the bus driver, Carol Mitzelfeldt. So, when one morning in September, the window was empty, the students on the bus were concerned and wanted to make sure their "grandma" was OK..."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/grandma-in-window-bus-driver-washington_562a8056e4b0443bb563ef58

12065653_1049639115046831_1915369848409327564_n.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I need a little advice or opinion. the past two years have been incredibly rough for me, prob the hardest in my life for a multitude of reasons. i have been staying home with the kids, the oldest is 4, youngest is 16 months. I got a new job but after a week, the cost of day care and gas to and from work was not good, plus with traffic I couldn't get to their school by the time they had to be picked up and both my parents work and my husband is in The old state we used to live in dealing with all the workers compensation and legal stuff from his accident that occurred on the job. It's a huge mess and I have never been so bad off financially in my life. The state my husband is in randomly cut off his workers compensation bc one of the Drs filled out form wrong. The lawyer we have said they would get it fixed but it hasn't been yet. I am so embarrassed. I got health insurance through the health insurance market place for me and the kids until this nightmare ends and I can start work again or whatever once we get our settlement but until then I'm just so stressed. I always had great insurance through work and now all I can afford is this terrible Aetna plan, My once perfect credit is now ruined, I can't afford a darn thing, it's seriously embarrassing. My parents told me to make a list of all living expenses and they would take care of it until my husband and his lawyer get things straightened out but I'm so embarrassed, I feel like such a burden on my parents. I feel so naive for thinking something like this would never happen to me. I always spent within my means, paid my bills, had a job, etc so this is just very very stressful, embarrassing, and I feel like a failure. I know my parents offered to help,but it's still embarrassing.

I'm so sorry you are going thru these rough times, our baby mommy. You know that everyone goes thru them at some time in their lives-unfortunately, this is your turn.
I just want to tell you something (think of me as some old Italian grandma who's been thru some pretty hard times).

Of course you are embarrassed, but this embarrassment will not put food on the table for your 3 precious babies. Because they are so young, they don't understand what you are going thru financially (and mentally). You brought those precious little things into the world- now you have to swallow your pride for them. You are a parent now and parents must take care of their children in any way possible.

I know you would walk thru fire for those 3, so walk thru fire now and take yourself and your embarrassment/pride to your county's social services office. Get all you can from them to help you- that's what they are there for- to help parents get thru the tough times for their children's sake. You need to develop, what my mother always said I had/have, a "faccia tosta" - a tough/hard face. That's a person that can hold their head up high when things are tough and embarrassing, with pride, and hide your embarrassment to get what you need to survive the hard times in life. Everyone needs some kind of help sometimes thru no fault of their own- there are no exceptions, IMO. Life is hard- always, with some little rays of happiness that you make for yourself.

As for your generous parents, thank them for their gracious help while you take whatever help they are giving you for they are your parents and would walk thru fire for you and their grandchildren. You are lucky because some people do not have family to help or ones that have the means to help.

When I hear "settlement", I think of months/years of waiting for it- especially from Workman's Compensation. I hope this is not so for you and your husband. Don't depend on this type of financial help- waiting around hoping for it at some future time. This is the present and you need to get help now.

Get yourself to a MD for help with your medical problems (most "ulcers" are caused by a bug called H. Pylori and are not from stress- not saying that your's are) and get to a psychologist/social worker for your mental help for some talking and meds if you need them, please.

You are so very young, my dear, and you will survive because you have to- for your children's sake. There is always a light at the end of the tunnel- maybe not the light you may want to see, but it's there waiting for you. You won't get to the light if you sit on your duff and wait for stuff to happen- you have to make it happen. Wishing and hoping will get you nothing but wishing and hoping.

I just know you can do this, baby mommy. You're no failure/brat- no good mother is, IMO. When your children grow up to be good people/citizens, you have achieved what all parents can hope for. That's really what's important in life, IMO. Your children need your help now by providing all you can for them and I know you will do this. You can do this.

Now you come here to this "faccia tosta" old lady and let me give you a great big hug and a kiss (and kiss those babies for me
hug1-smiley.gif

:blowkiss:

This made me cry, all the bad in the world and there is this. How sweet.

Trapped with Ms. Arias

Section 4

Preparing for the Mitigation

this phase most imp because could be difference between life /death sentence

jury learns more about defendant- things not heard before

murderer's case not typical, but still had mit.- "likely to come into evidence in a different way"

in Chapter 25: what mit phase involves

in Chapter 26: mit investigation by prior counsel

in Chapter 27: what L did to find mit

in Chapter 28: what State did to "counteract" the murder's "case for life"
==========================================

Chapter 25

What is the Point of the Sentencing Phase and Mitigation?

"...if we are going to impose the death penalty system as a punishment we must allow juries to know who they are sentencing" (pg. 143)

L talks about time when DP was Illegal- when became legal, jury, not judge must determine sentence to be legal who must consider everything about the person and circumstances

DP sentence can get overturned if atty doesn't present everything he/she can find and must have good reason why they didn't present info- "...'I did not believe it' is not a sufficient reason"

L gives hypothetical story about "Jim" and preparing for sentencing phase - must tell complete story of "Jim's" life "from conception to the day he was sentenced"

"...law dictates that jurors must not only hear the evidence but give it meaningful consideration"

L gives background history of this hypothetical "Jim"

"in Ms. Arias' situation her entire realtionship with Mr. Alexander was of the sort that it could lead to a finding that Ms. Arias was guilty of a lesser included offense (such as second degree murder and manslaughter) which is why,....that much of Ms. Arias' mitigation came out in the guilt phase of her trial" (pg. 146)
=====================================================

Chapter 26

The Mitigation Investigation by Prior Counsel

the murderer's previous atty collected info- had it documented as "memoradums that were writen by Gwen, the woman who, at the time, was working as"..the murderer's Mit Spec

according to L- interviews taken weren't good- didn't "paint a good picture of Ms. Arias, in fact, far from it...interviewees...most..either ..friends or family, presumably people who loved her, did not say nice things about her"

-claims that she abused animals as child; described as a "weird child" who was violent with her mother; from school/work- described as "highly sexual and acted as if she was 'in heat', to others she was quiet and professional a and talented student and/or a quiet" (pg. 148)

L talks about the murderer being sexually abused as child again- "...these victims turned offenders 'learn' at a far too young of an age that their value to the world is their sexuality.. they are oversexualized...as related to Ms. Arias, it seemed ...from reading ...interviews that Ms. Arias was an otherwise quiet and reserved person, but at the same time....would assert her sexuality when she wanted to be liked" (pg. 148)

L claims that memos could have remained confidential- atty/client confidentiality- he would have kept them confidential "way too many harmful statements"- not "wise move" [to disclose to State]

memos were disclose to State already by time L received case before Aug 2009- was his job to "deal with it"
============================================================

Next:

Chapter 27
My Mitigation Investigation

Chapter 28
The State's Sentencing Phase Witness

End of section 4 (pg. 166)
=======================================================

You don't sound like a brat. You sound like a young mother who would be understandably stressed even if all that was going on was attempting a return to work after years home with babies, much less being a single mother of babies (husband not there to help) facing a whole pile up of serious financial difficulties and complications.

Advice? Most importantly....BE KIND TO YOURSELF. You haven't done anything wrong, and there is no need whatsoever to be embarrassed by life happening to you and needing help for the time being.

It sounds like your parents want to help and are in a position to do that, so accept their help. If and when my son ever finds himself in a situation like yours I'd be terribly upset if he DIDN'T ask for help, and I bet your parents feel the same way.

Take one day at a time- trite, but it works, and take whatever time you can steal from the day (or night) to take care of yourself and find some minutes of calm.

(((Mollyme)))).

One more thing, baby mommy:

If Social Services don't help that much, go to Catholic Charities, the Salvation Army, and/or your local church for help. That's what they're there for. There's also your town's food bank/pantry.

"Facia tosta" my dear and keep your chin up and smile. :)

I have a stupid question to ask so here goes. We received an email last week from a woman my husband had worked with for a short time. It was an invitation to a 'dinner party'. We accepted and yesterday she emailed back "Just a reminder dinner Friday is at*6:30*and the theme is Italian so please bring whatever you'd like."
Does she mean we should bring a dish, or a bottle of wine? Kind of ticks me off that we're supposed to bring our own food.

Morning all, and glad to see some have wander over our way. We like company.

And today we can learn about

“After the German surrender, one of Hitler’s high-ranking naval officers was asked why the Nazi U-boats had been withdrawn from U.S. coastal waters early in 1943. The answer was exploded in a curt guttural: ‘It was because of those damned little red and yellow planes!’” -- From Robert E. Neprud’s Flying Minute Men
Civil Air Patrol members became the Minutemen of World War II, volunteering their time, resources, and talents to defend the nation’s borders. They filled the gaps left by the men, women and resources mobilized to fight abroad. These Flying Minutemen, all volunteers, performed valiantly on many missions including coastal patrol to search for enemy submarines, search and rescue missions throughout the United States, cargo and courier flights to transfer critical materials and personnel. They even towed targets so Army Air Corps personnel could practice air-to-air gunnery techniques. In all, these volunteers amassed a stunning record -- flying more than half-a-million hours, sinking two enemy submarines, and saving hundreds of crash victims.

Where did these volunteers come from? Although Pearl Harbor propelled the United States into World War II, many Americans saw the AXIS threat long before Dec. 7, 1941. Among them were nearly 150,000 men and women involved in aviation.

As early as 1938, they began to argue for the creation of an organization to harness their experience in the event America entered the conflict. Their efforts, led by writer-aviator Gill Robb Wilson and supported by Gen. Henry ‘Hap’ Arnold, resulted in the creation of the Civil Air Patrol. The Director of Civilian Defense, former New York Mayor Fiorello H. LaGuardia, signed a formal order creating the CAP on this day in 1941 -- one week before Pearl Harbor.

A thankful nation recognized the vital role CAP played during the war and felt that it could continue to provide invaluable help to both local and national agencies. On July 1, 1946, U.S. President Harry S Truman signed Public Law 476 incorporating the CAP as a benevolent, nonprofit organization. And on May 26, 1948, Congress passed Public Law 557, permanently establishing the CAP as the Auxiliary of the new U.S. Air Force.

With more than 53,000 members, 535 light aircraft and an extensive communications capability, the Civil Air Patrol is fully equipped to continue its mission for America.

[video=youtu;wpcFA484PT0]http://youtu.be/wpcFA484PT0[/video]

I'm going over to my sister's now and start dinner, and set the table. See ya'll on the flip side. Tonight is a poor night. It's what the poor grow up on. Beans, cornbread, fried potatoes, and hot links and sausages. We're all tired of turkey and dressing util Christmas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ioprgee