SIDEBAR #58 - Travis Alexander forum

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
My family and I love Christmas and the thing we enjoy most is helping to prepare and serve the homeless and needy their Christmas meal.. there are some who are just lonely with no where to go. We have done this for a few years now and it is my favorite gift of all. When I see the smiles and tears I get all emotional and thank God and realize I am truly blessed. Here is hoping that anyone reading this had a wonderful day and got their belly full. Much love to all of you. :loveyou:

Oh, our family dinner will be tomorrow, so I am not out of the prepping just yet, LOL.

My son is a Director at a homeless shelter/soup kitchen. They are inundated by people who want to volunteer Christmas and/or Thanksgiving Day. It's part of his job to *gently* let them know their help would be much more appreciated on pretty much any other days of the year. Believe it or not, the holiday volunteers here have to sign up months -- if not years -- in advance.

I'm sure it varies from place to place, and God bless you for giving back to those in need of a helping hand. I know how much good it can do for your heart, not to mention the immeasurable difference it makes to those less fortunate.

The holidays are a hard time for people working in those situations. At dinner today, my son told the story of a woman calling him yesterday from Florida. She was panicked and desperate. He used his super soothing voice and after he got her to calm down, he told her quite simply: "It's Christmas Eve. I'm here for you, and I'm going to take care of things for you." Then, he did just that.

Fills my heart with pride that I raised such a good-hearted person... It also makes me proud that I know such a good-hearted person as yourself. :heartbeat:

Well friends -- I made it -- got through another Christmas dinner! Aside from the physical issues of buying and preparing so much food, I always forget how stressful it is to get all the food done at the same time, and on the table while it's still hot. Logistics. Whew!

It was good, and everyone seemed to enjoy it and appreciate my efforts. I announced at the table that I wouldn't be doing this anymore, and my son (God bless him), said he would do anything if I would continue to cook Christmas dinner. He volunteered to pay for it, do the shopping, bring the stuff into the house, etc.

The reality is that a year from now, I will have forgotten much about how hard it is. (Kind of like if women would remember how painful childbirth is, they'd never have more than one child.) But I MIGHT take him up on at least part of his offer (i.e., doing the shopping!). lol

Hope a merry Christmas has been had by all. Wishing everyone happy holidays!!!
Maybe the idea a losing the tradition will get you more help and let you continue. I too forget how tiring it gets from year to year. I always have had to do the goodies and meal by myself while family members really didn't pitch in. But this year I am with Mandy and Bryan and Rayden and Mandy truly wanted to learn to create the holiday foods so I had good help and only half the workload and have really enjoyed myself.

I really understand your son wanting to you to continue. My Mom died in May 2003 but I didn't truly mourn her death until the first of November when I realized I wouldn't be eating her dressing and giblet gravy. It took me 4 holiday meals to get the recipe right. But now I actually have to make enough dressing to send to two of my brothers homes as part of their meal so thankful my Mom's dressing lives on!

Really great Christmas present (which also shows how well my kids know me):

"Making a Murderer" on Netflicks, (filmed over 10 years). Steven Avery was charged and convicted of sexual assault, and subsequently sentenced to a lengthy prison term. He was eventually exonerated (by DNA, via the Innocence Project). Then, after getting out, he was charged, convicted and sentenced to life for murder.

Even though he was ultimately proven not guilty of the first crime, was he guilty of the second one?

Very interesting case...

Sounds really interesting, going to read up on that one. :)

My son is a Director at a homeless shelter/soup kitchen. They are inundated by people who want to volunteer Christmas and/or Thanksgiving Day. It's part of his job to *gently* let them know their help would be much more appreciated on pretty much any other days of the year. Believe it or not, the holiday volunteers here have to sign up months -- if not years -- in advance.

I'm sure it varies from place to place, and God bless you for giving back to those in need of a helping hand. I know how much good it can do for your heart, not to mention the immeasurable difference it makes to those less fortunate.

The holidays are a hard time for people working in those situations. At dinner today, my son told the story of a woman calling him yesterday from Florida. She was panicked and desperate. He used his super soothing voice and after he got her to calm down, he told her quite simply: "It's Christmas Eve. I'm here for you, and I'm going to take care of things for you." Then, he did just that.

Fills my heart with pride that I raised such a good-hearted person... It also makes me proud that I know such a good-hearted person as yourself. :heartbeat:

How good-hearted you are, Cayle Ad!!! I will check out how I could do this in my town. But as long as I have my parents I will stay by their side during Christmas time.

What a wonderful son, GigiG! How can you not be proud?! The apples don't fall far away from the tree...How do you say this in English?
loveyou:

Good Morning the Day after Christmas! I love Christmas, but glad it's over! LOL A good time was had by all...Want to share a family tradition I started 25 years ago and it's the highlight of our Christmas.

We are big game players at family functions and we love giving silly little gag gifts at Christmas, so I got the idea of everyone bringing a fun, silly gift wrapped with no name on it and when family got here I gave everyone the same amount of play money and we had an auction bidding on the gifts they brought. Everyone loved it and each year it grew bigger and better! After 25 years we now bring many gifts all using plain brown sacks (that way no one knows their gift they brought) We each receive 1 million $$ in play money and the bidding starts after we have eaten and the 'real' gifts unwrapped. It is wild and crazy during the Auction! LOL For instance, I won the winning bid of $50,000 on this gift and when I opened it...it was a pair of 'pasties' with tassels!! Needless say , the family loved that mom 'won' those!! Fun times :)

I also got pied in the face twice! playing that new stupid game, PIE IN YOUR FACE that one of the little kids got :giggle:

:santahat:
Sending heartfelt LOVE on Christmas Day to my SB friends!
Don't forget to watch or record the movie "Coat of many colors" tonight at 9pm on NBC! I have heard it is very heartwarming, sad and funny from everyone that saw it when it first aired on Monday Dec. 10th.
The ratings were so high that NBC has decided to re-air tonight.

"Dolly Parton's Coat of Many Colors" is based on the inspiring true story of living legend Dolly Parton's remarkable upbringing. This once-in-a-lifetime movie special takes place inside the tight-knit Parton family as they struggle to overcome devastating tragedy and discover the healing power of love, faith and a raggedy patchwork coat that helped make Parton who she is today.

The film is set in the Tennessee Great Smoky Mountains in 1955. It is neither a biopic nor a musical about Dolly's whole life and performing career, but rather a family-oriented faith-based story about the incidents in her and her family's life around the time she was nine years old.

http://www.nbc.com/coat-of-many-colors

Also Christmas Full Moon tonight... First one in 38 years!

I watched it last night and really enjoyed it!

Morning! :santahat:

Yes, - thanks to Dmacky for reminding me Dolly Parton's movie! I watched it too - what a great movie! :luv:

LOTS to do today... running all my errands and grocery shopping!

I'll see you all later after my errands and chores!!

:seeya:

OMG, the Steven Avery case is utterly fascinating. Spent all day today doing a Netflix watch-a-thon. (It felt good to have a day off of holiday stuff!). I just now found out that there is a WS thread. Heading over there!

Also, since this documentary was first available (less than week ago?), the response on social media has been remarkable.

p.s. The prosecuting attorney is a Nurmi look-a-like (and sound-a-like). Sometime after the trial, he was caught up in a sexting scandal...

Good after Christmas !!!! Isn't that terrible of me? Anna and I went out to pick up one of my grandson's Legos. He and his twin brother and their step sister all got Legos, and one I bought one the other twin, was the same thing his brother received from his other grandmother that morning. So, thankfully Toys r Us had it in stock yesterday, and available for pickup today. I was surprised that I was in and out in under ten minutes. When I walked out the door it was like being hit by hurricane winds. It was hard to walk into them.

We made it in and out at Academy Sports fifteen minutes and Home Source (used to be a Garden Ridge) was longer, only because Anna and I went through the after Christmas decorations before we found planters. We found a gorgeous one. Iridescent blues and green ceramic, and it weighs a ton. Thankfully it was on sale, and we didn't have to tell dh the full price. Anna has always said poor daddy and shakes her head, so now we do it together.When he took it out of the suv he saw the price tag and his eyebrows went it and we told him we got it for thirty bucks one sale. I haven't been in that store for a long time, and could of gotten expensive for poor daddy. There was a beautiful frog planter. He's big one. If you put your made a circle of your arms in front of you,hands touching - that is how big he is, and he's two feet tall.

We're starting to get thunder and lightening. Gulf moisture has been flowing up all day, it could get ugly.

Good afternoon and evening :santahat:

Finally got back... whew!

GigiG - could you post the link to the Steve Avery case here on WS?!! TIA! :wave:

Looks like you had a full day at stores today ILikeToBendPages! Glad you got wanted you wanted! I used to collect frogs! :D
Now it's Mickey Mouse stuff... :mickey:

Just signing off for the night and wanted to "see" who was here! Not that many of you! LOL!

See you all tomorrow!!

:seeya:

Hope you all had a wonderful Christmas Day with family and friends or however you celebrate.

CJ, what a great idea and fun way to play a gift game!

Pages, it sounds as though you did some marathon shopping today! So glad you got what you wanted.

Caylee Advocate, what a lovely thing for you to do, to give of yourself on Christmas. I think I will take GGG's son's advice and try and volunteer sometime in 2016.

G3, so glad you got through your dinner and everyone loved it. Your son sounds really wonderful and you must be so proud.

Susza, I hope you are enjoying your holiday with your parents. Have fun with your hammock!

Wagara, how lovely of you to try and make your Mom's recipe and share the outcome with your siblings. Your Mom does still live on.

Neesaki, I hope you feel better soon. It is tough to be ill at holiday time.

Dmacky, stay dry! My goodness, you are having some weather.

Niner, hope your day was wonderful and your DH was not in too much pain.

Hope you all continue to experience the holiday joy! Xo

Hope you all had a wonderful Christmas Day with family and friends or however you celebrate.

CJ, what a great idea and fun way to play a gift game!

Pages, it sounds as though you did some marathon shopping today! So glad you got what you wanted.

Caylee Advocate, what a lovely thing for you to do, to give of yourself on Christmas. I think I will take GGG's son's advice and try and volunteer sometime in 2016.

G3, so glad you got through your dinner and everyone loved it. Your son sounds really wonderful and you must be so proud.

Susza, I hope you are enjoying your holiday with your parents. Have fun with your hammock!

Wagara, how lovely of you to try and make your Mom's recipe and share the outcome with your siblings. Your Mom does still live on.

Neesaki, I hope you feel better soon. It is tough to be ill at holiday time.

Dmacky, stay dry! My goodness, you are having some weather.

Niner, hope your day was wonderful and your DH was not in too much pain.

Hope you all continue to experience the holiday joy! Xo

BBM

I went from having no room for any more stuff to now having no *real* food in the fridge! I made to-go packages for everyone, and am left with just some condiments and what-not leftovers (sour cream & chives + brussel sprouts anyone? No? I didn't think so).

Not about to go back into a grocery store any time soon; still dealing with PTSD flashbacks from last week (I love food but HATE shopping, and pre-holiday shopping is the WORST).

My lunch for Monday will be some rather aged Genoa salami and provolone cheese on a stale Italian roll...

Oh, the sacrifices we make... :sigh: lol

Turkey and dumplings all gone. Now it's time for a jack and Coke before some blue bell chocolate ice cream

BBM

I went from having no room for any more stuff to now having no *real* food in the fridge! I made to-go packages for everyone, and am left with just some condiments and what-not leftovers (sour cream & chives + brussel sprouts anyone? No? I didn't think so).

Not about to go back into a grocery store any time soon; still dealing with PTSD flashbacks from last week (I love food but HATE shopping, and pre-holiday shopping is the WORST).

My lunch for Monday will be some rather aged Genoa salami and provolone cheese on a stale Italian roll...

Oh, the sacrifices we make... :sigh: lol

We lucked out and actually had enough left overs for our dinner tonight. No cooking for me other than some warmups, :happydance: Wish I could have shared them with you, Gigi :hug:

1996 - Six-year-old beauty pageant princess JonBenet Ramsey was found beaten and strangled in the basement of her family’s Boulder, Colorado home. Her mother, Patricia Ramsey, phoned police early on the day after Christmas to report that she had found a ransom note demanding $118,000 for JonBenet’s safe return. Eight hours later, JonBenet’s father, John, found his daughter’s body. Days of investigation turned into weeks, weeks into months, months into years -- and the murder remains unsolved.

In 2014 it was revealed that the grand jury said believed that John or Pasty killed JonBenet and the other one helped in her murder.

We lucked out and actually had enough left overs for our dinner tonight. No cooking for me other than some warmups, :happydance: Wish I could have shared them with you, Gigi :hug:

I heart you and my tummy almost feels full from your well wishes. :)

1996 - Six-year-old beauty pageant princess JonBenet Ramsey was found beaten and strangled in the basement of her family’s Boulder, Colorado home. Her mother, Patricia Ramsey, phoned police early on the day after Christmas to report that she had found a ransom note demanding $118,000 for JonBenet’s safe return. Eight hours later, JonBenet’s father, John, found his daughter’s body. Days of investigation turned into weeks, weeks into months, months into years -- and the murder remains unsolved.

In 2014 it was revealed that the grand jury said believed that John or Pasty killed JonBenet and the other one helped in her murder.

What is your opinion on that, Bendpages?

Let me ETA: I have had serious thoughts concerning the parents, and the son, Burt. Something was sure not right in that household, IMO.

Morning everyone! :santahat:

Still in the Christmasy mood! That's why I have the "santahat" !! LOL!

neesaki - actually JonBenet's brother's name is Burke... And this is the case that brought me to the forums! First I was on Yahoo, and then Tricia started "Forums for Justice", and than found "Websleuths"! I know you didn't ask me MY opinion - but I believe Patsy had "something" to do with JonBenet's death... it WAS her handwriting on the supposed "ransom" note!! And STILL we don't know the conclusion... :gaah:

Going to watch my Niners in a about 15 minutes - vs. the Detroit Lions!

:cheer: NINERS!!!!!!!

Was wondering "when" do you all take down all your Christmas decorations and :christmastree: ?? I wait until the week after Christmas...

We are supposed to get low snow tonight - and they DID mention our town on the news this morning! Will have to take pictures, IF it actually happens... :snowball: Today it's going to be 48 degrees, and tonight, they say, will be 31! Good enough for Snow!!

Off to read some other threads! GigiG - don't forget to post the link to Steve Avery's case here on WS!! Okay?? TIA!

Later! :wave:

Sharing with ALL my imaginary friends here! :grouphug:

Attachments

• GreatMood.jpg
    GreatMood.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 55
and WHERE IS EVERYBODY??!!! I "see" 8 guests...

come out, come out, where ever you are...

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member