Skyla Whitaker, 11, & Taylor Placker 13 - Found Murdered - #19

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with you. And it just breaks my heart to feel the pain that they are feeling! I just wish there was something I could do for them. I know we all feel that way.
Has anyone made a connection with the fires? Were the fires targeted at people who are suspects... or maybe just random, trying to give locals something to focus on besides the criminals? It seems someone in that town is harboring a lot of hate! I don't understand this behavior! Someone needs alot of help!

Morning frog,

They will never be whole again.....their lives are forever changed and shattered now but I do think if they could just find out who did this to the girls and why it would bring them some relief. It has got to be sheer torture for the families to know that no one is paying for what they have done to these innocent girls.

Like PP said it won't bring them back but they need to know who and why this happened.

I can understand Vicki being afraid. The killer or killers are still out there and no one knows if they know them are not. That has to be frightening for all in Weleetka. Do they people see these killers everyday thinking they are just a part of their community that means no harm? It has got to be nerve wracking for these families.

imoo

Hi there Boots! Thanks for posting the link... :)
Cheers,
KP

"She said someone in the community who likely drives the Interstate 40 route knows something about the deaths. It is hoped the billboard will serve as a constant reminder of the slayings and will work on somebody's conscience", she said.

Howdy, Kbd...having a good Saturday, I hope... The above is a Jessica Brown quote from the linked article.

Sorry to say it again, but, I find the need for the billboard to be discouraging. My hopes were that they were closer to an arrest...guess not?

Since they aren't - the billboard is a good idea - I agree with the other posters, though, why is the $30K not bolded and highlighted. Oh well, these people (Lamar Advertising) have done this for years and know what works I guess.

Yeah, I find it discouraging too, really... But then again, I haven't completely ruled out the possibility that the billboard may only be part of their strategy, and they actually MAY be closer than we think to figuring this one out, but they don't want people to know that. Granted, that is a very REMOTE possibility in my mind. I agree with you, though, the $30k should be on there in very BIG, BOLD LETTERS.

So far so good this weekend, Boots... Hope you're having a great weekend as well!
Cheers,
KP

Sorry, last one.

So again, Crime Stoppers approached Lamar and asked if they would put up billboard. Brown is calling it a “new medium” for the OSBI. Yikes.

snips

The billboard, on the north side of I-40 a mile west of the U.S. 75 interchange, is a joint effort by Oklahoma Crime Stoppers and Lamar Outdoor Advertising of Tulsa to help solve the nearly 4-month-old case.

Lamar spokesman Pat Selcer said Crime Stoppers approached the company to ask if it was interested in posting the reward information. Lamar quickly agreed and designed the ad. "We've done this before on other Oklahoma cases, and we've done this in other states using digital billboards," Selcer said. "You'd be surprised how effective these are."

He said he didn't know how much Lamar spent on the billboard but noted that the monthly advertising fee at the location is $600. Lamar is absorbing the costs.

Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation spokeswoman Jessica Brown welcomed the billboard as another tool in the hunt for the killers of Skyla Jade Whitaker, 11, and Taylor Paschal-Placker, 13. Brown called it a "new medium" for the OSBI.

"We've always believed that someone close to the killers knows something, and hopefully the billboard will wear on them to the point they come forward and help solve this case," she said.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?articleID=20080927_12_A14_ALamar462054

Sorry, last one.

So again, Crime Stoppers approached Lamar and asked if they would put up billboard. Brown is calling it a “new medium” for the OSBI. Yikes.

snips

The billboard, on the north side of I-40 a mile west of the U.S. 75 interchange, is a joint effort by Oklahoma Crime Stoppers and Lamar Outdoor Advertising of Tulsa to help solve the nearly 4-month-old case.

Lamar spokesman Pat Selcer said Crime Stoppers approached the company to ask if it was interested in posting the reward information. Lamar quickly agreed and designed the ad. "We've done this before on other Oklahoma cases, and we've done this in other states using digital billboards," Selcer said. "You'd be surprised how effective these are."

He said he didn't know how much Lamar spent on the billboard but noted that the monthly advertising fee at the location is $600. Lamar is absorbing the costs.

Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation spokeswoman Jessica Brown welcomed the billboard as another tool in the hunt for the killers of Skyla Jade Whitaker, 11, and Taylor Paschal-Placker, 13. Brown called it a "new medium" for the OSBI.

"We've always believed that someone close to the killers knows something, and hopefully the billboard will wear on them to the point they come forward and help solve this case," she said.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?articleID=20080927_12_A14_ALamar462054

Cloudajo-

This is my interpretation of this. I know that other forums have interpreted this as a desperation move by the OSBI. But I don't think that the OSBI had anything to do with this except to give it's final stamp of approval.

Scenario only:
With the economy being slow, Lamar had a billboard that was not bringing in revenue. Let's face it, they probably did not kick off a paying client off the billboard to do this. It was vacant or left over from an expired contract. They are as upset with this case as we are. They then approached crimestoppers to get involved, not to mention the free advertising (and good will) they got in the newspaper (therefore tax write-off?). And I suggest no nefarious intentions here, but just a win-win situation for all involved. OSBI approved- and why not? A little extra help can't hurt and it only stenghthens their case they did every thing they could to look at other options. Scenario only.

Cloudajo-

This is my interpretation of this. I know that other forums have interpreted this as a desperation move by the OSBI. But I don't think that the OSBI had anything to do with this except to give it's final stamp of approval.

Scenario only:
With the economy being slow, Lamar had a billboard that was not bringing in revenue. Let's face it, they probably did not kick off a paying client off the billboard to do this. It was vacant or left over from an expired contract. They are as upset with this case as we are. They then approached crimestoppers to get involved, not to mention the free advertising (and good will) they got in the newspaper (therefore tax write-off?). And I suggest no nefarious intentions here, but just a win-win situation for all involved. OSBI approved- and why not? A little extra help can't hurt and it only stenghthens their case they did every thing they could to look at other options. Scenario only.

RPS, good points! I'm being overly critical. :)

Interesting quote from DD's Mom on her myspace:

"Some day he will be sorry, some day when he is free, memories will remind him of what he used to be."

"Some day he will be sorry, some day when he is free, memories will remind him of what he used to be."

Very interesting indeed.

imo

If the killers were young and local and if LE doesn't know who did this, which I think is the case, then LE seriously muffed this investigation at the beginning.

I hate to see them at a point where the only way this case can be solved is if somebody talks. That is beyond depressing.

I'm glad to hear Vickie talking. Now she needs to convince Rose to join her and they need to take it up a notch. I would only give this current campaign a bit more time and then if I were them I would start seeking help in going around the current investigators.

If the killers were young and local and if LE doesn't know who did this, which I think is the case, then LE seriously muffed this investigation at the beginning.

I hate to see them at a point where the only way this case can be solved is if somebody talks. That is beyond depressing.

I'm glad to hear Vickie talking. Now she needs to convince Rose to join her and they need to take it up a notch. I would only give this current campaign a bit more time and then if I were them I would start seeking help in going around the current investigators.

I am not so sure I believe that is the case at all. I think OSBI does have suspects in mind and have since early on. However like many Cold Case detectives have said that they did not have the evidence they needed to take it to trial at the time. Many times the actually perpetrators will be the ones that LE suspected back then, all along.

What I see is they have plenty of forensic evidence but those findings involve the girls and their DNA. Imo, what they are lacking is the forensic evidence to tie the perps to this crime. If this case is ever solved or a new type of forensic testing reveals more than the testing of today's standards, I do believe OSBI will have been right and these killers are local and able to blend in to their own community. I also believe that they will be young killers when the crime happened. (late teens-early 20s)

This case will be solved by one or two things or both. New type of forensic testing done. A tip from someone who is very knowledgeable about the perps and what happened that day. Sometimes it takes years for those kind of witnesses to come forward out of fear of the killers.

But imo OSBI does think they know who did this........they just can't prove it sufficiently enough for a trial. I certainly hope they will get a break. I think that is all they need and are waiting for. That one call where they know for certain the person they talk to has the information they need.

imoo

I am not so sure I believe that is the case at all. I think OSBI does have suspects in mind and have since early on. However like many Cold Case detectives have said that they did not have the evidence they needed to take it to trial at the time. Many times the actually perpetrators will be the ones that LE suspected back then, all along.

What I see is they have plenty of forensic evidence but those findings involve the girls and their DNA. Imo, what they are lacking is the forensic evidence to tie the perps to this crime. If this case is ever solved or a new type of forensic testing reveals more than the testing of today's standards, I do believe OSBI will have been right and these killers are local and able to blend in to their own community. I also believe that they will be young killers when the crime happened. (late teens-early 20s)

This case will be solved by one or two things or both. New type of forensic testing done. A tip from someone who is very knowledgeable about the perps and what happened that day. Sometimes it takes years for those kind of witnesses to come forward out of fear of the killers.

But imo OSBI does think they know who did this........they just can't prove it sufficiently enough for a trial. I certainly hope they will get a break. I think that is all they need and are waiting for. That one call where they know for certain the person they talk to has the information they need.

imoo

Ocean, good thoughts. Other than releasing 911 call, setting up roadblock, using GJ, just going out and talking to people, billboard, etc. is there anything else they can do to compel someone to come forward if they are either fearful, don't want to get involved, or want to protect someone?

I wonder what happened at the preliminary hearing on 9/18.

Hi RPS and welcome to WS.

Do you have the link handy to DD's mother's MySpace page?

Ocean, good thoughts. Other than releasing 911 call, setting up roadblock, using GJ, just going out and talking to people, billboard, etc. is there anything else they can do to compel someone to come forward if they are either fearful, don't want to get involved, or want to protect someone?

Thank you.

I think at this time that is all they can do. They are trying to keep these girls in the memories of the people who live in those surrounding communities. They are trying to keep the message out there that the killers still runs loose and most of all they want that certain someone to see the haunting photos of those murdered little girls hoping and praying it sparks some semblance of compassion and decency in them.

Sometimes the wheel of justice moves slowly but it does move and there is no limitation on murder. It has become a waiting game now. I do think that the four OSBI agents still assigned to this case work it daily and are always looking for new avenues that may bring them to these horrid people.

Maybe by calling certain people to testify in the GJ was done as a mind game. To let them know that one day OSBI will be closer than ever before. They may have wanted to make them very nervous hoping they would run and tell someone the real story. I am just using that as an example. Many times a DA uses a GJ as an investigative tool and is not seeking an indictment at that time. Whatever they may have said in a GJ under oath they are locked in with that now and if any deviation is discovered it heightens the suspicion of LE and they will keep coming back applying pressure.

imoo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member