Skyla Whitaker, 11, & Taylor Placker 13 - Found Murdered - #20

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I cannot believe that here we sit.....a year later...no arrests...no clues....

Their killers need to be caught...now.
Puyallup police say they did everything they could. Records of their investigation, obtained by The News Tribune via public disclosure, illustrate the sum of their efforts.
http://www.thenewstribune.com/1159/story/693191.html

the above is another case I am looking at........and i was wondering if perhaps someone there could use the public disclosure to obtain information form LE, to see what they have...........the above is a on going investigation, and yet through the pubic disclosure, they released more information then they would have......so i am asking.......thank you​

Here in Fl we have the "Sunshine Law" which is very OPEN !!
I remember reading somewhere that OK does not have such laws .. I found this info .. interesting to say the least !!

This is from an old article but worth the read again..

http://mynewsok.com/investigators-work-many-hours-in-slaying-case/article/3281811

OSBI spokeswoman Jessica Brown said the investigation involves a lot of legwork on the part of agents, primarily checking out the more than 560 leads they have received in the case.
More than half of those leads have been checked out, she said, noting that new leads are now less numerous and less frequent.
Brown said the OSBI is optimistic that the case eventually will be solved.
"We have some really good leads now that are taking us to new directions," Brown said without elaborating.
In addition to checking on leads, she said, agents have now questioned more than 100 people — with many more to go — as they hunt for suspects. More than half of the witnesses were from the Weleetka area, she said.
Also, Brown noted, that of those questioned, dozens of polygraph tests have been administered to clear them of any complicity in the killings.
Brown said dozens of DNA samples were collected from those questioned — far more than the number of lie-detector tests that were given.
She said the OSBI is employing new, innovative investigative techniques in its hunt for the slayers. However, Brown would not say what the techniques were because the disclosure "would reveal some of the evidence we have."
The OSBI has remained mum on what its full range of evidence is in the case.
What is known is that authorities know what caliber of bullets and types of guns were used in the killings, but they're not divulging that information. They've also recovered bullet casings from the scene, but they remain close-mouthed on whether the casings have yielded fingerprints.

Puyallup police say they did everything they could. Records of their investigation, obtained by The News Tribune via public disclosure, illustrate the sum of their efforts.
http://www.thenewstribune.com/1159/story/693191.html

the above is another case I am looking at........and i was wondering if perhaps someone there could use the public disclosure to obtain information form LE, to see what they have...........the above is a on going investigation, and yet through the pubic disclosure, they released more information then they would have......so i am asking.......thank you​

MrTT ~
I recently posed a similar question to a friend of mine. He has been on LE for a number of years. His opinion is that if there is an active case, it is up to LE's discretion as to whether or not information is released. If LE believes releasing information would be detrimental to the investigation, they are not obligated to do so. Even if someone (from the public forum) pressures them into releasing information, they (LE) can petition the court to honor the wishes of LE. Please know this is not something I have researched myself. It is information that was passed onto me from a member of LE.

I remember reading somewhere that OK does not have such laws .. I found this info .. interesting to say the least !!

http://mynewsok.com/investigators-work-many-hours-in-slaying-case/article/3281811

OSBI spokeswoman Jessica Brown said the investigation involves a lot of legwork on the part of agents, primarily checking out the more than 560 leads they have received in the case.
More than half of those leads have been checked out, she said, noting that new leads are now less numerous and less frequent.
"We have some really good leads now that are taking us to new directions," Brown said without elaborating.
In addition to checking on leads, she said, agents have now questioned more than 100 people — with many more to go — as they hunt for suspects. More than half of the witnesses were from the Weleetka area, she said.
Also, Brown noted, that of those questioned, dozens of polygraph tests have been administered to clear them of any complicity in the killings.
Brown said dozens of DNA samples were collected from those questioned — far more than the number of lie-detector tests that were given.
She said the OSBI is employing new, innovative investigative techniques in its hunt for the slayers. However, Brown would not say what the techniques were because the disclosure "would reveal some of the evidence we have."
What is known is that authorities know what caliber of bullets and types of guns were used in the killings, but they're not divulging that information. They've also recovered bullet casings from the scene, but they remain close-mouthed on whether the casings have yielded fingerprints.

Hi 99~
I could not resist jumping into the discussion when I saw your post. I would love to know what Ms. Jessica was referring to when she referred to, "new, innovative, investigative techniques". I had hoped that OSBI had asked for assistance in obtaining finger prints from the casings that had been mentioned in one of the other threads.

Good to see you posting again.
I wish new info. would be released.

Flossie

"Even if the fingerprint has been washed off, it leaves a slight corrosion on the metal and this attracts the powder when the charge is applied, so showing up a residual fingerprint.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0602103331.htm

9 months since that was printed...........we pretty much know, what physical evidence they collected......makes me wonder if, what they collected, current techniques at the time, was of no use..........so they had to resort to new techniques..........not sure if that is good or bad, 9 months since that posting, so i wonder how valuable the new techniques have been?.......what could they had collected, at the scene......that perhaps required new techniques that the old techniques at the time was not much help?..........it was good to read that article again..........thanks for posting........i wish they could at least give the press, a current update, even if its old information, at least it would let us know they are still working as hard as they was back when that article was posted.​

MrTT ~
I recently posed a similar question to a friend of mine. He has been on LE for a number of years. His opinion is that if there is an active case, it is up to LE's discretion as to whether or not information is released. If LE believes releasing information would be detrimental to the investigation, they are not obligated to do so. Even if someone (from the public forum) pressures them into releasing information, they (LE) can petition the court to honor the wishes of LE. Please know this is not something I have researched myself. It is information that was passed onto me from a member of LE.

thanks for responding.........
if theirs one LE case file, i would love to sit down and look through, it would be this one.............i wish we new more about the pieces of the puzzle there missing, and which ones they have...........what has caused this investigation, to come to a roadblock?......and i say roadblock, because we are approaching the one year date!
Is there a cold case squad in that state?
not implying its cold now, but just saying so in the future, if it does go cold, someone will be assigned the case to keep searching, and not just investigate when time allows.
What are we missing!!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks for responding.........
if theirs one LE case file, i would love to sit down and look through, it would be this one.............i wish we new more about the pieces of the puzzle there missing, and which ones they have...........what has caused this investigation, to come to a roadblock?......and i say roadblock, because we are approaching the one year date!
Is there a cold case squad in that state?
not implying its cold now, but just saying so in the future, if it does go cold, someone will be assigned the case to keep searching, and not just investigate when time allows.
What are we missing!!!!!!!!!!!!

i am beginning to think what they do have as far as physical evidence, its not enough to solve this case..using what technology they do have...........seems to me they may need some new SPACE AGE technology to solve this one.......i think, not feel, but think they just don't know who did it....
why don't they just bring in the national guard, or some new recruits in LE, and re comb the area before the brush there gets even thicker.............start from the bridge and work there way back towards the house, on both sides, perhaps they could find something, efven a weopon or two, perhaps something overlooked............do a massive search again.........
sending and asking them questions wont work, i have tried, and never gotten a responce, which is typical..........

partial Quote!!

I remember reading somewhere that OK does not have such laws

Getsmart, The taxpayers of Florida was very smart to get the Sunshine Law instated.
If only the good people of Oklahoma, South Carolina and all the other states would only do the same, everyone would see many more crimes solved...and less 'good ole boys' cover-up's....imo

Proposed reforms

Main article at Proposed reforms in state sunshine laws, 2009.
  • House Representative John Carey (D-Durant) proposed House Bill 1049 [7] that "seeks to clarify that police should make incident reports available to the public, even if there are no arrests." Executive vice president of the Oklahoma Press Association Mark Thomas is in favor of the bill since "the way some local police jurisdictions have interpreted the law, no incident reports are required unless someone is taken into custody". He said in some circumstances, that essentially permits “secret police actions” with no public accounting, and making it clear that incident reports are required could solve the problem. [8] HB1049 has passed the House, and moves to the Senate for further debate. [9]
  • The Oklahoma House of Representatives Public Safety and Homeland Security Committee is considering a bill that would allow the chief medical examiner to withhold the public release of autopsy reports at the request of a district attorney or law enforcement agency if the records may impede an ongoing criminal investigation.[10]
i FOUND SOME INFO HERE ABOUT WHAT oKLAHOMA WILL AND WILL NOT MAKE PUBLIC ....
http://www.rcfp.org/ogg/index.php?op=browse&state=OK
Open Records
IV. RECORD CATEGORIES -- OPEN OR CLOSED
K. Police records.
3. 911 tapes.
While not specifically addressed, 911 tapes would appear to fall under records of public calls recorded or radio logs. 51 Okla. Stat. Supp. 2005, §§ 24A.8.6 and 7.

SO does this mean the 911 call is public record and Ms Brown had to release it ..oh wait excuse me release a portion of it out if her good heart..

4. Investigatory records.

Investigatory records of the Attorney General, County and Municipal Attorneys are confidential except as required by law to be made public. 51 Okla. Stat. 2001, § 24A.12. Investigatory files are not listed among the files which must be released by law enforcement agencies and thus are presumptively closed unless required by law to be made public or where a court finds that the public interest or the interest of an individual outweighs the reason for denial. 51 Okla. Stat. Supp. 2005, § 24A.8.B. See also 1999 Okla. Op. Att'y Gen. 58. However, a public record cannot be removed from the public domain by placing it in an investigatory file. 51 Okla. Stat. 2001 § 24A.20.
Open Records

10. Police techniques.
Oklahoma law does not address this issue.
----------------------------

So this section might be of interest:
V
PROCEDURE FOR OBTAINING RECORDS
A How to start

I was very intrigued when watching something on the WE network the other night about Tommy Lynn Sells. Wow. I never thought this was a random murder or serial until I saw that. Now I don't know what to think. But unfortunately, I'll bet there's a 1000 more people like Sells out there. Sick sick people.

Proposed reforms

• House Representative John Carey (D-Durant) proposed House Bill 1049 [7] that "seeks to clarify that police should make incident reports available to the public, even if there are no arrests." Executive vice president of the Oklahoma Press Association Mark Thomas is in favor of the bill since "the way some local police jurisdictions have interpreted the law, no incident reports are required unless someone is taken into custody". He said in some circumstances, that essentially permits “secret police actions” with no public accounting, and making it clear that incident reports are required could solve the problem. [8] HB1049 has passed the House, and moves to the Senate for further debate. [9]

• The Oklahoma House of Representatives Public Safety and Homeland Security Committee is considering a bill that would allow the chief medical examiner to withhold the public release of autopsy reports at the request of a district attorney or law enforcement agency if the records may impede an ongoing criminal investigation.[10]
Open Records
K. Police records.
3. 911 tapes.
While not specifically addressed, 911 tapes would appear to fall under records of public calls recorded or radio logs. 51 Okla. Stat. Supp. 2005, §§ 24A.8.6 and 7.

SO does this mean the 911 call is public record and Ms Brown had to release it ..oh wait excuse me release a portion of it out if her good heart..

Investigatory records of the Attorney General, County and Municipal Attorneys are confidential except as required by law to be made public. 51 Okla. Stat. 2001, § 24A.12. Investigatory files are not listed among the files which must be released by law enforcement agencies and thus are presumptively closed unless required by law to be made public or where a court finds that the public interest or the interest of an individual outweighs the reason for denial. 51 Okla. Stat. Supp. 2005, § 24A.8.B. See also 1999 Okla. Op. Att'y Gen. 58. However, a public record cannot be removed from the public domain by placing it in an investigatory file. 51 Okla. Stat. 2001 § 24A.20.
Open Records

10. Police techniques.

V
A How to start
........this is positive news, and i am glad to see it has passed and moved on for another discussion and vote.........it will pass there also im sure, and will be passed into law...........i am not to concerned, if at all, about the homeland security getting involved, if something occurred that concerned national security, then by all means, don't release it if you feel its best not to......
...............but we are here, to try and gather more informaion into the demonic killings of two young children, and not having access to LE files, to see what is there, and what roads tthey have traveled on.......it is hard for us to help in supplying information on possible subspects and or motives for these senseless killings................Its my belief, that the law will be passed and inacted, to ensure the public, and the famalies of love ones envolved, will know that not only are LE helping, but the general public as well are involved, and in a case such as this, i rather have 1000 pairs of eyes looking for connections, then merely a few dozen, when that few dozen have all the information...........
THANKS for posting this information, i know it took you time in your searching and it is very much appriecated...........you can almost hear the wheel starting to turn again, in the correct direction.

I was very intrigued when watching something on the WE network the other night about Tommy Lynn Sells. Wow. I never thought this was a random murder or serial until I saw that. Now I don't know what to think. But unfortunately, I'll bet there's a 1000 more people like Sells out there. Sick sick people.
http://www.geocities.com/verbal_plainfield/q-z/sells.html
I WAS JUST READING ABOUT HIM THIS AM...PURE EVIL!!

In September 2000, he was sentenced to death in the Dec. 31, 1999 murder of Harris near Del Rio, Texas.

Sells told investigators that in 18 years time he'd traveled around cutting throats, bludgeoning and shooting people to death. Authorities are not sure how many murders he really committed.

There is no execution date set as Sells appeals the death sentence.
http://mynewsok.com/7-years-later-girls-slaying-haunts-town/article/1856483

Griesel and investigators said Wofford's family does not want to a speak about the case.
Tommy Lynn Sells, 41, who said he killed Wofford, is on death row in Texas in a separate murder case. But the self-proclaimed serial killer's confession in the Wofford case is shaky and just plain unbelievable to a lot of people, Griesel said.
No one has ever been charged in Wofford's murder.
Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation agents, who have worked on the Wofford case over the years, still welcome any help from the public, spokeswoman Jessica Brown said.
"Just because someone said they murdered a person doesn't mean they did it," Brown said. "Even if someone confesses, we check all the facts and then move forward. We haven't moved forward in this case." Wofford's death still is considered unsolved in the Kingfisher County sheriff's office, Sheriff Dennis Banther said. Banther said he thinks people just want to find the truth, "whatever it is."

Proposed reforms

Open Records
K. Police records.
3. 911 tapes.

Open Records

10. Police techniques.

V
A How to start

99~
I checked my e-mail today and saw this link that you sent. Thank-you for searching and finding this information. I have not had the time to try and research all the ramifications, but, I will. You Rock!!! :clap:

Thanks again~ :blowkiss:
Flossie

........this is positive news, and i am glad to see it has passed and moved on for another discussion and vote.........it will pass there also im sure, and will be passed into law...........i am not to concerned, if at all, about the homeland security getting involved, if something occurred that concerned national security, then by all means, don't release it if you feel its best not to......
...............but we are here, to try and gather more informaion into the demonic killings of two young children, and not having access to LE files, to see what is there, and what roads tthey have traveled on.......it is hard for us to help in supplying information on possible subspects and or motives for these senseless killings................Its my belief, that the law will be passed and inacted, to ensure the public, and the famalies of love ones envolved, will know that not only are LE helping, but the general public as well are involved, and in a case such as this, i rather have 1000 pairs of eyes looking for connections, then merely a few dozen, when that few dozen have all the information...........

THANKS for posting this information, i know it took you time in your searching and it is very much appriecated...........you can almost hear the wheel starting to turn again, in the correct direction.

Mr TT~
I could not have said it better. 1,000 pairs of eyes, says it all. From your lips to Gods ears...............

~Flossie

This is about TK. Does LE have the capability to distinguish blood from wood stain, on an article of clothing?

This is about TK. Does LE have the capability to distinguish blood from wood stain, on an article of clothing?

Yes, LE can easily distinguish blood from other fluids. IIRC, the clothing was tested and his story proved to be true.

Thanks,Ruf. I hadn't heard that about TK.

Would it take a long time to test the article of clothing?

Thanks,Ruf. I hadn't heard that about TK.

Would it take a long time to test the article of clothing?

Hi Little ~
Below are two links to websites that you might find interesting. I have used them both for help in understanding serology. Maybe one of these sites will help you determine how long it would take to conduct analysis on whether a stain is blood or another substance.

~Flossie

Collection and Preservation of
Blood Evidence
from Crime Scenes
by George Schiro
Forensic Scientist
Louisiana State Police Crime Laboratory

http://www.crime-scene-investigator.net/blood.html

A number of substances such as fruit-stains or dye-stuff may soil clothing and take on the appearance of bloodstains.

http://www.policensw.com/info/forensic/forensic6a.html

i am beginning to think what they do have as far as physical evidence, its not enough to solve this case..using what technology they do have...........seems to me they may need some new SPACE AGE technology to solve this one.......i think, not feel, but think they just don't know who did it....
why don't they just bring in the national guard, or some new recruits in LE, and re comb the area before the brush there gets even thicker.............start from the bridge and work there way back towards the house, on both sides, perhaps they could find something, even a weapon or two, perhaps something overlooked............do a massive search again.........
sending and asking them questions wont work, i have tried, and never gotten a response, which is typical..........
[/center]
.start from the bridge and work there way back towards the house, on both sides, perhaps they could find something, even a weapon or two, perhaps something overlooked............do a massive search again.........
If they were to do another massive search of both sides of the road starting from the bridge and working back towards the house, and they found the remains of someone......that could be a motive, in the crime.......all speculation of course
but if they came upon someone, dumping a body inside those woods, it could be the reason?.......but like i said, just speculating.

While searching from the bridge backwards would be a good place to restart this investigation, I don't expect them to find anything of value. When they graded the road, most evidence was lost and whatever the girls could have seen, imo, was taking place on the road not in the woods. I would be surprised if someone dumped the weapons near the location of the murders, but I guess it is always possible.

I am planning on taking a day trip to the area when things settle down here. I want to see for myself how difficult it is to find this road and the location. I want to see the bridge on a warm Sunday afternoon for myself to watch the activities. These are two things which I find are very important.

I wish OK had a Major Case Squad like the one in Illinois. They made all the difference in the Coleman murders investigation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member