SM as a potential focus of the investigation

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, WW is NOT a blog... though it has an online presence, where it's stories are reported, and a "blog".
It has been a very well respected alternative weekly paper here in Pdx for over 35 years.

per Wiki:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willamette_Week

Willamette Week (WW) is an alternative weekly newspaper published in Portland, Oregon, United States. It features reports on local news, politics, and culture.

Willamette Week is the only weekly newspaper to have one of its reporters win a Pulitzer Prize for Investigative Reporting.[3] During 2007, WW had more 18- to 34-year-old Portland-area readers than the weekly editions of The Oregonian and more than A&E, the latter's weekly arts and entertainment publication.[4]

I am happy to see someone defend and recommend Willamette Week. A paper like that has a lot to lose if they fail in their reporting. And it wasn't the WW, IIRC, who published the false info about a body having been found. I actually think that WW can be considered MSM- they've been in business a long time, they are respected, and they have won many awards.

For anyone interested in kind of a long answer to this...

You can recover things deleted, even several times over from a computer, yes. But not if it doesn't have a hard drive. The information is stored on the hard drive, no hard drive, nothing to recover.

A camera is similar, my camera doesn't even store any images on the actual camera. Only on the memory card. (Many you can do both.) So if I take my memory card and throw it in the dumpster... put in a new one... (I have 6 anyway and they are $5, this isn't like an expensive hard drive) then absolutely not, they couldn't recover anything. Though, I am quite skeptical they could anyway.

Also, you set the time and date on a camera. My brother never set his. Mine is set correctly to the minute. I'm anal about it, he's not.

My computer will tell you what time my picture was "created" which is the time the picture was taken.

It will tell you what time it was "modified" on an edited version, when I last made an actual change that was saved.

It will tell you when it was last "accessed" on the computer as well. The last time it was opened or viewed.

All of these come with dates and times. Again, dependent on the date and time you have set on your computer.

Terri, may not even have the original image... she may have edited it or uploaded it and deleted the original. She may not have set the time or date on her camera.

There are different programs for different cameras that allow you to access even more information about an individual image. But I would not assume that they would be able to find out for sure...it depends on camera and computer settings, the type of camera, type of computer, what she did with the image...many different factors.

Hopefully that made sense... :waitasec:

Yes, made perfect sense to me. I would like to expand on this issue. An SD card (or any camera card) is kind of like a hard drive. It stores the photos you take so that you can transfer to a computer or print from.

This is something I didn't know until I made a mistake. I accidently erased my photos one time when trying to transfer to the computer. So, in search of a way to retrieve those photos I found a program that will scan your SD card and retrieve previously deleted photos that have not been saved over already (the program will work on your computer programs too). It's the same concept as what is used to retrieve info from a hard drive. It's never truly deleted until something is saved over top of it.

When I did the scan on my card I retrieved the photos I had accidentaly erased as well as photos that were previously on the card. Sometimes I was able to retrieve half of a photo because only half of the memory had been saved over (yeah, a little weird).

Now, you can place a photo by the digital number on the photo. Every digital camera saves photos w/ consecutive numbers. When transfered to a computer, the person can then rename the photo; but, if a hard drive search is done you should probably be able to find the original file name (photo number).

However, the cards are small and easily misplaced (or conveniently lost). It would be much easier to dispose of an SD card than a hard drive.

Hope this helps.

I am happy to see someone defend and recommend Willamette Week. A paper like that has a lot to lose if they fail in their reporting. And it wasn't the WW, IIRC, who published the false info about a body having been found. I actually think that WW can be considered MSM- they've been in business a long time, they are respected, and they have won many awards.

Is WW a free newspaper? We have a free paper called "The gazette" that comes out weekly and is basicly a rehash of all the news that is/ was in our regular city paper for the past week. You get it whether you want it or not. They are always put in a bag and thrown in each driveway. Why they are free I don't know. I get annoyed because I have to pick them up and throw them away...we have 2 driveways and so we get 2 papers every week. Ugh.
One time they did an article about my hubbys step father who is a famous fiddlle player. It was a nice article w/ color photo, hubby's sister got about 8 of them and had them professionally framed for each family members home. Other than that one time, I never bother reading it. I don't know how they stay in business beside advertising....you CANNOT call their office and STOP getting it, either.:banghead:

abbie

I don't know. Sounds pretty wackadoodle to me.

"Yeah, so I just happened to be looking out the window while my stepdaughter was walking to the bus stop, and I saw some lady force my stepdaughter into a car, so I hopped on my bike to chase them. I lost sight of them, though."

Now that we know it actually happened, it seems believable, but I'm sure the police were pretty skeptical.
Well isn't any abduction scenario "whackadoodle"?

I am new to this discussion, as well as, following these recent threads. Please, help me in the beginning after KH became missing I had read talk of a SO being detained that lived out on that island. I remember the talk of him being arrested for some other offense but, the general discussion was of him and maybe he could be the perp. I have not read anywhere recently of this being discussed. Does anyone know of the discussions, I am referring to? Sorry, if this is too far of topic, I did not know where to post the question.
Thank you

This thread might be what you are looking for:

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106925"]Tony P ~ alleged attempted abduction in St. Helens - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

STOP

This is not a general discussion thread. Get back on topic.

Here is the Deal.

Stay on topic. Provide Links. If you can't link it isn't discussed. Let's get back on topic.

And the FB comments are a :nono: Go back and edit your posts. If you cannot link you cannot discuss.

The FB is private and just because you read it when it was public.......you cannot link now, so you cannot discuss it. Some of your posts are really exceptional and well thought out. But if the FB keeps creeping in, I'm going to just delete your posts. So knock it off.

Another thing that bothers me is the pictures of the stepmother on the flyer. If they are cooperating, why are they just photos from the press conference at odd angles?

Why not give police some straight on photos or let them take new ones?

To be clear, I'm just articulating questions I have. That's it.

Is WW a free newspaper? We have a free paper called "The gazette" that comes out weekly and is basicly a rehash of all the news that is/ was in our regular city paper for the past week. You get it whether you want it or not. They are always put in a bag and thrown in each driveway. Why they are free I don't know. I get annoyed because I have to pick them up and throw them away...we have 2 driveways and so we get 2 papers every week. Ugh.
One time they did an article about my hubbys step father who is a famous fiddlle player. It was a nice article w/ color photo, hubby's sister got about 8 of them and had them professionally framed for each family members home. Other than that one time, I never bother reading it. I don't know how they stay in business beside advertising....you CANNOT call their office and STOP getting it, either.:banghead:

abbie

The Willamette Week is free but they aren't delivered. It is a really popular paper and I'd bet the adverts run a pretty penny. They are always reporting a side of the story that no one else will touch. I will be SHOCKED if the story about the pings is inaccurate...I have been reading the Willy Week for 18 years and I trust them more than any other news source. Of course they make mistakes, but they tend to be very accurate in their reporting.

BBM. Beyond my thoughts that Kyron was not at school that Friday morning, I have no other "theories" in the case. I've been convinced for some time that the science project was set up after school on Thursday and the photo of Kyron with his display was taken at that time. IMO, the time-line begins much earlier ;)

Didn't the PTA president verify that she saw SM there Friday morning at 8:15 with Kyron? I know I've read that in timelines about the case.

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/06/kyron_horman_chronology_of_eve.html

Exactly. Sometimes all that can be retrieved is the name of the photo.

I don't think a regular stay at home Mom, not at all into computers or photography would even think to get rid of the SD (or other memory) card. (Even those who delete and write over and wipe their hard drives several times don't think to just throw them away.) But it would be very simple and very inexpensive. And in MY case would not be that suspicious. It is not uncommon for me to use 3 in the same week. So if I just threw one away and then used another the same day... it wouldn't look that weird.

But again... I am an anomaly. Non photographers would not be in that situation, they generally have one SD card. They would likely be starting with a never before used SD card, while I would just be switching over to one that I may have had for one year instead of two.

Speaking of photography... I got the most adorable pictures of squirrels yesterday and when I downloaded them I started balling. Good thing they weren't red ones or tree frogs. :cry:

It's the same concept as what is used to retrieve info from a hard drive. It's never truly deleted until something is saved over top of it.

When I did the scan on my card I retrieved the photos I had accidentaly erased as well as photos that were previously on the card. Sometimes I was able to retrieve half of a photo because only half of the memory had been saved over (yeah, a little weird).

However, the cards are small and easily misplaced (or conveniently lost). It would be much easier to dispose of an SD card than a hard drive.

Hope this helps.

If I were TH and knew I was innocent, I think I would be freaking out, knowing I was the last known person to see Kyron and insinuations by the press that I was suspected of being resposible. "What if Terri did it?" surely is running through the minds of her friends and family, even if just briefly and Terri knows it. I imagine she is a nervous wreck... worrying for Kyron and knowing that many people are accusing her of his disappearance. There really is no appropriate way to behave... when I feel accused/nervous, I act strange, always have.

Although I am taking it with a grain of salt, I tend to believe (in this instance) it is true and they wanted that out there, as they could have cleared that rumor and as they did with not finding Kyron.

The difference in my mind is, people thinking Kyron had been found would prevent them from looking for him. Clearing up that they had not found him wouldn't hurt their investigation.

What evidence they do or do not have is not as crucial in their minds to the search. If they release that, it could hurt their investigation or their tactic to get a confession.

"Yeah, so I just happened to be looking out the window while my stepdaughter was walking to the bus stop, and I saw some lady force my stepdaughter into a car, so I hopped on my bike to chase them. I lost sight of them, though."

What is so frustrating and so different about the two cases is this.

With Jaycee they could have confirmed the step father's story. If they had DONE a search of the sex offenders, comparing the sketch to them AND especially the CAR to them...they would have easily found Jaycee. Even with less technology at the time, it would not have taken very long. He gave them plenty of information to find her. There was plenty of information to verify what he was telling them...they just didn't use his information correctly.

With Kyron, there is nothing. All we seem to have is Terri saying she left him there, with no information to verify the details of her story.

I will tell you one thing, I am horrified that so many still give them - I wonder if refusal or acceptance is what they're really looking for....these things are a joke...I wouldnt take one :/

http://www.antipolygraph.org/

I am naturally so guilt-ridden there is no way I would pass a poly, even if I was telling the 100% truth.

My balance is very poor also, I sometimes think if I was ever pulled over and made to walk heel to toe on a straight line, I would not only flunk that but would most likely fall over. Straight to jail for me, and I don't even drink!

So I am guilty, and paranoid. Oh my!

abbie

Another thing that bothers me is the pictures of the stepmother on the flyer. If they are cooperating, why are they just photos from the press conference at odd angles?

Psychological ploy by LE ,IMO.
Having one pic of Kyron and two pics of SM sends a clear message that the focus is on her.

I thought about that too. From the picture that is being used, I'm not sure that I would remember seeing her/recognize her from the pic unless I had seen her before and knew who she was....does that make any sense, lol?!

If I were TH and knew I was innocent, I think I would be freaking out, knowing I was the last known person to see Kyron and insinuations by the press that I was suspected of being resposible. "What if Terri did it?" surely is running through the minds of her friends and family, even if just briefly and Terri knows it. I imagine she is a nervous wreck... worrying for Kyron and knowing that many people are accusing her of his disappearance. There really is no appropriate way to behave... when I feel accused/nervous, I act strange, always have.

BBM, me too.

Nothing TH does will look like "the right thing" to all people. She could be completely innocent and had a day of real bad luck, which now makes her look like the perp. Who knows?
I want to know if there is video proof or receipts from her "errand running" between 9am and about 1pm. That's all I want to know. LE knows, you better believe they do. Yet they are still apparently looking at nobody but TH. JMO

I am naturally so guilt-ridden there is no way I would pass a poly, even if I was telling the 100% truth.

My balance is very poor also, I sometimes think if I was ever pulled over and made to walk heel to toe on a straight line, I would not only flunk that but would most likely fall over. Straight to jail for me, and I don't even drink!

So I am guilty, and paranoid. Oh my!

abbie

You sound like me Abbie! Guilt (about anything and everything) rules my life! My goose would be cooked!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Susielarios