Small Details that are interesting in the Cooper Harris case, #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
BBM- Carnival cruise does not have an area for topless sunbathing.

Thank goodness! For a moment there I was beginning to understand why my 80-year-old father had suddenly developed a penchant for cruises! (Ewww).

I just don't see taking a little one on a regular cruise. I would be a nervous wreck. Kids are noisy (uh-hum), and I would be worried that mine was keeping up fellow passengers at all hours, that they would be tired and cranky and bored, the safety factor of "open" decks and...well lots of other reasons come to mind. Nope. I would not even consider taking a small child on a cruise...but then the operative word there is consider, the root word for considerate, something IMO RH is not.

I've seen it stated repeatedly.
I'm looking for the actual source of the statistics. Thank you for the links, but they're not what I'm looking for. I was interested in the year the study was done, where, and under what conditions and methodology used.

I'm not implying you have a duty to find the original source. I'm simply curious and don't arbitrarily believe statistics unless I understand the source.

Where's the study?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In what is believed to be the largest study ever done of child seats, Safe Kids reviewed 79,000 car seat checklists collected at inspection events the group held in 2009 and 2010. Because parents voluntarily take their vehicles to checkups, the rate for proper usage is likely even lower, Safe Kids says, which underscores the need for more education.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/money/autos/story/2011-09-15/gaps-in-child-seat-safety/50419556/1

Also: http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/Pubs/811679.pdf

We do not know that. There was an earlier text that we were trying to make out yesterday. It was from LH. It said
"Get to work OK?"
Hell yes! Or something like that. We don't know what time that text came in. It could have been from another day I guess.

Because it followed the text about going to the movies. I assumed it was later in the day and they she was instructing him to return to work and he responded in the affirmative. NOT asking if he had gotten in okay in the AM.

Because it followed the text about going to the movies. I assumed it was later in the day and they she was instructing him to return to work and he responded in the affirmative. NOT asking if he had gotten in okay in the AM.
No it was before.
Get to work ok? (Top blue bubble)
Hell yeah!! ( next comment)

He talks about movie

she says OK

When you gonna get my buddy?

Call me or call when... was at the bottom.
yvehuqem.jpg

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=55345
All posts are MOO

BBM- Carnival cruise does not have an area for topless sunbathing.

FWIW, the last time I did a Carnival cruise (it's been several years), they DID allow it on the ship I was on... saw it (the entrance to the topless area) with my own two eyes. It was exactly as described in the linked article:

"...a few years back Carnival did allow you to show the goods in special private areas on certain ships. These areas were usually at the very top of the ship and included a sign designating it as a topless area. That sign also said “No Cameras Allowed...”

Glad to hear they discontinued it! I always felt it was inappropriate on a ship with kids (tots to teens). And trust me, I saw kids hanging around the entrance...and from what I could tell, there was no "guard" or staff watching the door. I wouldn't have a problem with it on an adult-only cruise...it's not MY thing, but hey, to each his own...but I definitely didn't think it belonged on a ship with kids. Moo.

Can you even imagine? You'd have to leave him at "camp" all day to even enjoy yourself a little. Cooper already went to daycare every day, why would he care about a cruise? Imagine the weather too, it is hurricane season as well some rough seas and 10-12 green folks.
EXACTLY when I'd want to take my wife and 4 kids! Do Alabama schools have a fall break? They could be homeschooled.
That story sounds so false!
More research was needed before he told that whopper.
I'll believe it when I see tickets and passports.

All posts are MOO

We have friends who live in Huntsville, AL and their elementary aged kids have a one week Fall break from school. IIRC, they start back to school early in August and then get a week long break in early October. Not sure if this applies state wide though.

We have friends who live in Huntsville, AL and their elementary aged kids have a one week Fall break from school. IIRC, they start back to school early in August and then get a week long break in early October. Not sure if this applies state wide though.
Kids here get. Oct 11-14
(I think) Saturday-Tuesday
Maybe they were gonna go.
:dunno:

All posts are MOO

Just a few bits and pieces here...

The grand jury term had just begun at the time of the crime. IIRC, it was mentioned that the prosecutors want to give themselves time to do more investigation. Also, since it is a new grand jury, they are inexperienced. It's more than likely that the prosecution wanted the grand jury to have more experience under its belt before presenting such a major case.

JRH put that little boy down on the boiling pavement. It was rough, it was hot. There was an area with the trees he was thrashing at with grass. It would have placed the child in a better environment to be resuscitated. That area was only steps away.

IMHO, LE's biggest clue that there was a problem, aside from the bizarre behavior at the scene, was the fact that JRH's original timeline had a glaring omission. He did not mention his that he went out to lunch with friends at Publix, went to Home Depot to buy light bulbs and put them in his front seat. By leaving out all of this information, he put a spotlight on it. An innocent person would have included this hunk of the day in answer to the questions about what he did that day because it had no significance for him.

Yet, he went into great detail about his pleasant morning with Cooper from the time they got up, watched cartoons, got in the car, went to eat breakfast, put Cooper back in the car and make sure he was fastened in tightly for his own protection. The embellishment of the kisses given and returned was meant to strike the cords of LE's heart as to what a "good" father he was.

BBM:

This is what sums it up for me on his guilt, the part I bolded. I just can't get past that nor can it be explained away, IMO. He went into detail that morning with Cooper, got him dressed, strapped him into his car seat, drives to CFA, unstraps him out of his car seat, walks him into CFA, walks him out, straps him in the car seat again, kisses him, THEN IN LESS THAN A MINUTE HE FORGETS!!!!!!?????? I know, I'm repeating myself here but it's beyond me. He didn't forget to go to CFA, he didn't forget to go to work, he didn't forget his backpack, but good o'l dad forgets his son?????? really????? not buying it!

My how things change. We went on a carnival cruise and there was a specific deck that was for topless sunbathing. Carnival has apparently done away with topless sunbathing. Now I feel old :sigh: because I realize that was 20 years ago.

BBM. :therethere: I'm there with you, lol! I've been on been on 4 or 5 (sitting here, racking my brain trying to name all the ships, but I can't remember, will have to ask hubby later). All of mine were in the last 10 years, I think, but heck, it could have been further back than that. I can't remember. I've never had a good memory, and as I get older it seems to get worse. :frown:

My how things change. We went on a carnival cruise and there was a specific deck that was for topless sunbathing. Carnival has apparently done away with topless sunbathing. Now I feel old :sigh: because I realize that was 20 years ago.

No kidding! 20 years ago we weren't monitored and legislated by the "morality police". JMOJMOJMO

If forward facing, you want the straps at or above the shoulder (not ear level, I can't even imagine how uncomfortable that would be). Rear facing, the straps are lower than the shoulders and wrap over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, y'all!

Here ya go

Attachments

• rear-facing_harness.jpg
    rear-facing_harness.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 171
I still wonder about the comment from the staffer at LA who said to LH "What are you doing here?". I know they did not expect to see her because Cooper wasn't there, but why wouldn't they just say, "Hey, L! We missed Cooper today; is he sick?"

IDK, that wording just seems off to me. [emoji53]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If that 6 minutes call from RH to LAA connected, and the staff was aware of what happened to Cooper, I can see this response.
It's not their job to inform the mother... they wouldn't be prepared for that, and I'd bet they were stunned and darn near speechless when she showed up (if they knew).

Based on what we know of RH, it wouldn't surprise me at all to learn that his statment 'I've killed our child!' was made to a LAA staff member, in the hopes that they would break the news. They weren't prepared to do that, and after hearing her jump to the conclusion that he left Cooper in the car, tried to placate her with other possibilities.

One would expect that a mother who has just heard the worst news she will ever hear, will cause quite a scene, one that you wouldn't want small people exposed to.

No recording of a 911 call.
No record of him informing LH.
The less coming from his big ole face, the better.

(All speculation!)

I have no idea why they were using that seat--that would be an interesting question for RH and LH to answer. On this forum, it's been said that the small seat was actually in LH's car up until a recent trip she took to AL when they switched seats. I just don't see anything sinister about it--maybe stupid, but not sinister.

It's not that I feel so strongly that Cooper wasn't buckled in, but I do feel strongly that there is no evidence of that fact. The same as there is no evidence of the baby being buckled tight into a car seat that was too small for him, no evidence of that at all--except for RH's statement to LE.

Heck, I don't think anyone here even knows Cooper's height and weight, do they? Or is everyone pretty much guessing his size and how he fit into the car seat? And from the conversations I've seen, it's just a guessing game as to which specific car seat he was even in that day.

I know you think Stoddard made up everything he said, but according to his testimony, the seat being used was the smaller "infant" seat that had been replaced recently with a more suitable seat. Stoddard said Ross indicated that he knew the seat was not appropriate, but that the correct seat was still in Leanna's car after her trip to see family two weeks earlier. No explanation was given for it NOT having been moved to [modsnip]'s car. If Cooper had not been buckled in, would he not have gotten up and pounded on windows, crying, screaming, wiping tears and boogers on the glass? Beating his little head against the windows? Why would he sit patiently in a seat he was not strapped into, bashing his head against the back and clawing his face instead?

I just don't understand why he wouldn't have buckled him in. Are you thinking that something distracted him from doing the buckle after he placed Cooper in the seat, or that he was in too much of a hurry to do the buckle as he was running late to work? If you are in the habit of using a car seat it is just kind of second nature to do the buckle after placing the child in the seat. I would venture to say that if you stopped 100 cars with children in car seats, at least 99% of them would be buckled in. Buckling is the norm for those who use car seats....NOT buckling is what would be unusual. I have 2 kids and I don't ever remember arriving at my destination only to find that I had neglected to buckle them in. Is forgetting to fasten the buckle a common oversight?

Also, if LE is lying about Cooper being buckled in, what is their motivation? If they are just trying to make Ross look like a bad father, I would think they would LOVE to publicize the fact that Ross didn't even bother to properly secure his child.

The only thing that would make this helpful to Ross is if he THOUGHT he buckled the baby in but forgot to do so, then the child slid out of the seat before they got to HD, and thus was not IN the car seat when Ross looked back to be sure he had dropped him off. But even Ross didn't think fast enough to come up with that one..

He'd be a dead man walking!
I don't care where I was I would have tried to beat the tar out of him!

On top of killing MY baby I get publicly humiliated by his activities at his place of business where he is supposed to be working
AFTER I supported us while he played college frat boy.

[emoji84]I'd die.

Then again... we are where we are because of the choices we make. Soo.... [emoji821] link of the chain...

If that 6 minutes call from RH to LAA connected, and the staff was aware of what happened to Cooper, I can see this response.
It's not their job to inform the mother... they wouldn't be prepared for that, and I'd bet they were stunned and darn near speechless when she showed up (if they knew).

Based on what we know of RH, it wouldn't surprise me at all to learn that his statment 'I've killed our child!' was made to a LAA staff member, in the hopes that they would break the news. They weren't prepared to do that, and after hearing her jump to the conclusion that he left Cooper in the car, tried to placate her with other possibilities.

One would expect that a mother who has just heard the worst news she will ever hear, will cause quite a scene, one that you wouldn't want small people exposed to.

No recording of a 911 call.
No record of him informing LH.
The less coming from his big ole face, the better.

(All speculation!)

All posts are MOO

He'd be a dead man walking!
I don't care where I was I would have tried to beat the tar out of him!

On top of killing MY baby I get publicly humiliated by his activities at his place of business where he is supposed to be working
AFTER I supported us while he played college frat boy.

[emoji84]I'd die.

Then again... we are where we are because of the choices we make. Soo.... [emoji821] link of the chain...

All posts are MOO

Seriously.
No conference calling for the funeral. Probably no mention of his existence at the funeral, let alone letting him dominate my babys send off. It would take me a good long time before I could speak my husbands name without gagging.
And that would be after getting no satisfaction from opening a can of whoop all on him the first moment I saw him.
The humiliation... ugh. Talk about adding insult to injury.

Why would they have adjusted the rear facing seat back down to the lowest setting since they were going to have to use the rear facing seat in one of their cars? Didn't they only buy one larger forward facing car seat?

I assume they had one small seat and moved in between cars. They got a larger seat with the intent of moving it as well. It got put in L's car, and for some reason yet unexplained, instead of the switching off, Ross chose to re-install the smaller seat in his own car, knowing it was not big enough for his child, rather than buy a second seat. My belief was that they had stowed the older seat in preparation for another child, and that they did not intend to re-use it for Cooper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
erinrebano