Small Details that are interesting in the Cooper Harris case, #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The last two words look to me to be "at 1". [Never mind, I don't think the word is "at"]

I think the words "go to" are in the first line, but I can't make out "buddy" anywhere.

I know this will be a hard one but I will try to find the part in court where he was given this page. Also, the link has a slideshow with this photo in extra large format.

There is a HUGE
Point by Point:
The Prosecution Case

and 2 full pages of the article!

uvanapag.jpg

Excerpts from the AJC article. The article was too long to post in it's entirety. I posted the most important points.

Questions on police account of Harris case

Updated: 6:18 p.m. Friday, July 18, 2014 | Posted: 12:00 a.m. Saturday, July 19, 2014
Email 1Facebook 98Twitter 1ShareThis 121

By Bill Rankin, Craig Schneider and Bill Torpy - The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

But a review by The Atlanta Journal-Constitution of some of the state’s evidence shows authorities may have overstated some of their case during the July 3 hearing. A close review by the AJC of video from a surveillance camera at the Home Depot office complex where Harris worked revealed discrepancies — some striking — with assertions made by Detective Phil Stoddard on the witness stand.

In addition, an exclusive interview with Harris’ brother, Michael Baygents, and a review of the transcript of the three-hour hearing reveal an emerging counter-narrative to the damning story about Harris that swayed public opinion. For instance, a thorough reading of the transcript suggests that prosecutors may have created a false impression by claiming that he searched the Internet for information about children and pets dying in hot cars.

The security tapes

But the video shows that Harris was in the car for less than 15 seconds, during which he put the vehicle in park, turned off the engine and then gathered his smart phone, computer bag and drink before sliding out of the driver’s seat.

But the video shows that Harris’ eyes remain above the SUV’s roof line. Only his arm and shoulder reach inside the vehicle. On the video it shows it took three seconds for him to open the door, place the light bulbs inside and close the door.

The video shows that Harris does stop briefly, but his eyes are on his cell phone, which he pokes at with his free hand. He never looks back at the man who walks past his car.

Harris also walks past another man who is headed in the direction of the car. Once again, Harris does not look back at this man. In both instances, he appears oblivious to the passersby.

Troubling discrepancies

But Martin, who is not part of the case and has not seen the security videos, said he found the apparent discrepancies in Stoddard’s testimony troubling.

He said he and Harris were happily making arrangements to take their families on a cruise in October. The idea had percolated since Christmas, when Baygents said he wanted to take his wife and four children on a cruise.

Baygents said Harris told him about the insurance policies while the two of them were discussing burial arrangements for Cooper. He said Harris told him to use the money for the boy’s funeral.

Baygents also said Harris gave him control of the Harrises’ accounts when he came to Marietta after Cooper’s death, so he is fully acquainted with the couple’s finances. The family had $6,000 in savings, paid their bills on time and had excellent credit, Baygents said.

“To say they were in financial trouble is just crazy,” he said.
Under questioning by Kilgore, Stoddard acknowledged the police had uncovered no evidence that Harris was in financial trouble. That allegation was based, he said, on Leanna Harris’ answer to a police question: She suggested that, like most people, the couple sometimes felt financially stressed.

“To think that he killed Cooper for $27,000 is a joke,” Baygents said.

Damning details

But in his cross-examination, Kilgore suggested that Harris’ usual routine was to drop the boy off at day care, drive to the restaurant and then head straight to work. So bringing Cooper to Chick-fil-A was a departure from an established pattern, Kilgore implied.

Experts say a break in routine is a common reason parents forget that a child is in the car.

Police, listening in on the conversation, heard Leanna ask her husband, “Did you say too much?”

But this was not a marital conspiracy, Baygents said. “It was more along the line of, ‘What’s going on here? Are we in trouble or something?’ They were in a total state of shock. Their child was dead.”

Baygents said that there are times when Leanna talks calmly and coherently about what happened. “But there have also been times when she’s on the floor in a fetal position calling out to God.

This looks like a text with a reply. Can anyone figure out which text this is? Is it when are you going to pick up my buddy?

View attachment 55284

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ged-murder-22-month-old-son-died-vehicle.html

I flipped the pic horizontally and enlarged it to read what I could.

Leanna sent a message to Harris first, can't read it.

Harris sent Leanna a message:
We're gonna go to the early movies so I should be home close to 7.

Leanna sent Harris a message:
OK

When you getting my buddy?

Leanna sent Harris a message (can't read all of it because of Stoddard's hand/fingers but it starts off):
Call me......

So Leanna did know that Harris was going to the movies that day, and found out before he asked her about picking up his "buddy". Yet Leanna still went to Harris' work when Cooper was not found at day care.

MOO

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ged-murder-22-month-old-son-died-vehicle.html

At a loss as to where to discuss this, but I will attempt it here. If it's in the wrong place, please remove it.

I find it very interesting that AJC has access to this "videotape" to even remark about. Also, the half brother of RH. Not sure I believe all this. Since when is it OK for a local newspaper to obtain, discuss and pick apart tangible State's evidence?

"The Atlanta Journal Constitution has carefully looked through some the evidence, including a surveillance video that captured Justin Ross Harris outside the Home Depot where he worked, and the newspaper claims authorities overstated some of their case at a July 3 hearing."

The AJC says RH was only in the car for 15 seconds after parking it. I never thought the 30 seconds was significant because everyone's stayed in their cars for an extra 30 seconds without getting out (waiting for something to finish on the radio, checking one's teeth in the mirror, looking in one's briefcase to make sure something's there, etc.). But if the 15 seconds is true, it does look like LE is exaggerating what they have.

The AJC says RH was only in the car for 15 seconds after parking it. I never thought the 30 seconds was significant because everyone's stayed in their cars for an extra 30 seconds without getting out (waiting for something to finish on the radio, checking one's teeth in the mirror, looking in one's briefcase to make sure something's there, etc.). But if the 15 seconds is true, it does look like LE is exaggerating what they have.

My point is since when is it OK for this newspaper to even gain access to this videotape unless it's been released? The discrepancies should be for the attorneys to argue out. It could be a ? of simple perception by the observer estimating a time period. That 15 seconds obviously didn't do a thing to save this baby.

I seriously doubt that Stoddard lied on the stand about how long Harris was in the car before he went into work. I also doubt that AJC actually saw the video that LE has in evidence.

When the case goes to trial, the video will be shown in court.

MOO

Even if LE exaggerated a bit there are still some things that JRH did that is hard to explain away that IMO makes him guilty.

I want to know why Leanna needed Harris to call her when he asked what time she was picking up his "buddy". I wish Stoddard's hand wasn't in the way in that pic.

OK

Leanna sent Harris a message (can't read all of it because of Stoddard's hand/fingers but it starts off):
Call me......

So Leanna did know that Harris was going to the movies that day, and found out before he asked her about picking up his "buddy". Yet Leanna still went to Harris' work when Cooper was not found at day care.

MOO

You rock! xo

OK

Call me......

MOO

Even within context, the question about picking up my buddy sounds weird. Before this, I thought it was an isolated email that sounded contrived or like a code. Within a conversation, it doesn't seem like a code anymore, but it still reads strange. I also am learning more and more toward LH not knowing what was happening.

Not sure why she went to HD, though, unless.....the original movie plan involved carpooling, but RH changed his mind about that and got out of the carpool arrangement by telling his friends he was running late.

JMO

OK

Call me......

MOO

I suspect that LH went to the treehouse (RH work) because she assumed he found the baby on entering the vehicle to leave work for the day and not that he drove with the dead baby for some time before pulling over at Maddio's Pizza.

I mean if I just had a text conversation which indicated my DH expected me to pick up our child from daycare, the one he was in charge of dropping off, and daycare said nope Cooper never came today, LH immediately jumped to OMG he left him in the car!!! Well in those circumstances, I would assume car, husband and dead baby were at Treehouse/work. Not at some random pizza joint down the road.

Don't surveillance tapes have time stamps? What good are they if they don't? All I can surmise is that Defense gave the tape to AJC around the same time that they interviewed Baygents. Quid pro quo? Either other media couldn't access the tape, or didn't want to because they were sufficiently "on notice" about defamation. No idea. Just wondering. JMO

I think access to the video surveillance was given via the defense and it was quid pro quo. They got to see the tapes and the defense got their spin out to the public via the brother. Which makes me distrust said spin immensely.

It's disturbing that the article does not include information about how the video was accessed. That seems irresponsible. After all, anyone could claim s/he saw it and spout off about it willy-nilly. Why trust an article that doesn't provide anything to give confidence to the reader that it's true? Smells fishy. Journalists don't have to name their sources, but they should at least mention SOMETHING about how they gleaned information/raw data to retain credibility.

JMO

Okay, I've put off asking this, since I feel like I should be able to figure it out, but what is PCH? I even looked in the WS Lingo thread and couldn't find it there :blush:

TIA.

lolz, sorry nosysw. it is Probable Cause Hearing. we all just got really tired of typing it out and lazy :)

Thanks (and here she goes to the lingo thread to add it, :D)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MABROUSSARD