Small Details that are interesting in the Cooper Harris case, #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
point by point

walking back to the office after lunch visit to car. Stoddard says he stopped and began messing with or pretending to mess with his phone. Defense is saying the same. The reason behind his actions is what is being described differently IMO and only the jury can decide what they feel motivated the actions on the video at that time.

Too subjective IMO.

I suspect that LH went to the treehouse (RH work) because she assumed he found the baby on entering the vehicle to leave work for the day and not that he drove with the dead baby for some time before pulling over at Maddio's Pizza.

I mean if I just had a text conversation which indicated my DH expected me to pick up our child from daycare, the one he was in charge of dropping off, and daycare said nope Cooper never came today, LH immediately jumped to OMG he left him in the car!!! Well in those circumstances, I would assume car, husband and dead baby were at Treehouse/work. Not at some random pizza joint down the road.

IF it is true that Leanna tried to call Harris while at the daycare and it went straight to voicemail, then she should assume that he was at the movie already with his phone turned off. She arrived at daycare at 4:51. The movie started at 5. IF Harris had truly forgotten Cooper in the car, then she should assume that he had left work and went to the movies without noticing Cooper. So then she should have gone to the movie theater or at least driven in that direction. She had not gotten a phone call or text (apparently) from Harris to inform her that he found Cooper in the car.

But it is all a moot point to me anyway since I firmly believe that the whole thing was set up by BOTH adults. I also believe that is why she wanted Harris to call her instead of her texting whatever issue had possibly come up. Can't prove what is said during a phone call unless it was being recorded, which their calls weren't at the time.

MOO

unless - like us - she found it completely ridiculous to believe that her husband had gotten in the vehicle, failed to notice his dead son STILL and drove to the movie theater, got out and went in to begin viewing the movie while never once noticing his decomposing son.

and therefore assumed he must have discovered the child on exiting work. I find his little drive with dead child at his elbow absolutely unbelievable and entirely incredible. I think LH would have found it so too which is why she showed up where she did.

unless - like us - she found it completely ridiculous to believe that her husband had gotten in the vehicle, failed to notice his dead son STILL and drove to the movie theater, got out and went in to begin viewing the movie while never once noticing his decomposing son.

and therefore assumed he must have discovered the child on exiting work. I find his little drive with dead child at his elbow absolutely unbelievable and entirely incredible. I think LH would have found it so to which is why she showed up where she did.

And yet we are to believe that she found it reasonable that Harris was able to drive to work with his child at his elbow and forget him being in the car. We are also to believe that she is "grieving" in private and is so torn up about the death of Cooper but was just fine sitting in court chewing her gum without showing any emotions while listening to how Cooper died.

MOO

I don't know how they saw it. There were 3 reporters that were listed as contributing to the article. The article says, "all information was drawn from Harris' July 3rd probable cause hearing, search warrant applications filed by police and an exclusive interview with Harris' half-brother, Michael Baygents."
I just realized I cropped that part out. It's written just above the points and counterpoints.
They don't ever say where they saw the video, just that they reviewed it thoroughly along with transcripts from the PCH.

I'm now guessing that the reporters didn't see it, but the brother did as part of a defense-team meeting. Would be possible to have your brother with you when you meet with your lawyer? I have no clue. And, if this is the case that the reporters are reporting what brother says about the video, that should be made clear in the article.

the article uses the word "review" tho which suggests someone on staff personally viewed that footage.

A close review by the AJC of video from a surveillance camera at the Home Depot office complex where Harris worked revealed discrepancies — some striking — with assertions made by Detective Phil Stoddard on the witness stand.

SNIP

But the video shows that Harris was in the car for less than 15 seconds, during which he put the vehicle in park, turned off the engine and then gathered his smart phone, computer bag and drink before sliding out of the driver’s seat.

SNIP

“As that person approaches him, he stops,” Stoddard said of Harris. “He kind of stands there for a little bit as the guy walks past him. You can see that man walk up towards the car. He starts a little bit. Justin starts a little bit. He stops. The guy walks past the car, and then Justin gets on the phone and goes inside the Home Depot.”

Boring repeated that scenario in his summation to the judge, saying that Harris “stops when a person starts walking toward his car and waits until that person passes, and then re-enters” his office building.

The video does show Harris pass a man walking toward the car. In fact, the man walks through the open space next to Harris’ parked SUV, passing within three or four feet of the vehicle and walking the full length of it. If he had turned his head and glanced inside, he almost certainly would have seen Cooper.

The video shows that Harris does stop briefly, but his eyes are on his cell phone, which he pokes at with his free hand. He never looks back at the man who walks past his car.

Harris also walks past another man who is headed in the direction of the car. Once again, Harris does not look back at this man. In both instances, he appears oblivious to the passersby.

http://www.myajc.com/news/news/local/defense-for-toddlers-dad-writes-its-own-story/ngh3p/ (sorry do not have ready access to the document which was uploaded with this article and the link above requires pay to read)

Stoddard did not testify that RH looked at the man who walked past as he re-entered his office building after lunch. He described him stopping and starting (assuming forward movement) and then proceeding to use his phone. Which is what the defense also describes, RH taking out his phone and proceeding to use it. The motivations behind those movements are what is being disputed and neither Stoddard nor defense attorney can know those. They can only speculate as to the cause.

the article uses the word "review" tho which suggests someone on staff personally viewed that footage.

A close review by the AJC of video from a surveillance camera at the Home Depot office complex where Harris worked revealed discrepancies — some striking — with assertions made by Detective Phil Stoddard on the witness stand.

SNIP

But the video shows that Harris was in the car for less than 15 seconds, during which he put the vehicle in park, turned off the engine and then gathered his smart phone, computer bag and drink before sliding out of the driver’s seat.

SNIP

“As that person approaches him, he stops,” Stoddard said of Harris. “He kind of stands there for a little bit as the guy walks past him. You can see that man walk up towards the car. He starts a little bit. Justin starts a little bit. He stops. The guy walks past the car, and then Justin gets on the phone and goes inside the Home Depot.”

Boring repeated that scenario in his summation to the judge, saying that Harris “stops when a person starts walking toward his car and waits until that person passes, and then re-enters” his office building.

The video does show Harris pass a man walking toward the car. In fact, the man walks through the open space next to Harris’ parked SUV, passing within three or four feet of the vehicle and walking the full length of it. If he had turned his head and glanced inside, he almost certainly would have seen Cooper.

The video shows that Harris does stop briefly, but his eyes are on his cell phone, which he pokes at with his free hand. He never looks back at the man who walks past his car.

Harris also walks past another man who is headed in the direction of the car. Once again, Harris does not look back at this man. In both instances, he appears oblivious to the passersby.

http://www.myajc.com/news/news/local/defense-for-toddlers-dad-writes-its-own-story/ngh3p/ (sorry do not have ready access to the document which was uploaded with this article and the link above requires pay to read)

Stoddard did not testify that RH looked at the man who walked past as he re-entered his office building after lunch. He described him stopping and starting (assuming forward movement) and then proceeding to use his phone. Which is what the defense also describes, RH taking out his phone and proceeding to use it. The motivations behind those movements are what is being disputed and neither Stoddard nor defense attorney can know those. They can only speculate as to the cause.
Almost like he paused expecting the man to yell out?

That's what I thought when I heard it the first time.moo

yes, almost as if he paused to see if the discovery would be made and prepare for it. That is what is being suggested-implied by Stoddard at the hearing IMO. RH stops moving forward, digs out phone and begins pushing buttons or the screen (poking at it). Then when the person does not cry out or act as if they have seen Cooper forward movement resumes.

Defense is saying RH was simply a man walking through a parking lot who decided to make a call or check his msgs and paused long enough to get the phone out and do so. That the other person who happened to be passing RH at that time and headed toward the vehicle was incidental and RH's actions were completely unrelated to that person.

I flipped the pic horizontally and enlarged it to read what I could.

Leanna sent a message to Harris first, can't read it.

Harris sent Leanna a message:
We're gonna go to the early movies so I should be home close to 7.

Leanna sent Harris a message:
OK

Harris sent Leanna a message:
When you getting my buddy?

Leanna sent Harris a message (can't read all of it because of Stoddard's hand/fingers but it starts off):
Call me......

So Leanna did know that Harris was going to the movies that day, and found out before he asked her about picking up his "buddy". Yet Leanna still went to Harris' work when Cooper was not found at day care.

MOO

:clap: :clap: Torismom, you are awesome!

I want to know why Leanna needed Harris to call her when he asked what time she was picking up his "buddy". I wish Stoddard's hand wasn't in the way in that pic.

My suspicious mind thinks it was to talk about the 'big reveal'

Wouldn't want to put that in text form KWIM

Well, i'm sure Stoddard can count, and I believe defense and AJC can, too. So, how many seconds did JRH sit in the car? If it's Stoddard's mistake, its a dumb one presuming that the tape shows time and seconds. I tend to believe LE but they made a big issue of the 30 seconds and if that is inaccurate it doesn't help their case. JMO

Prosecution says 30 secs
Defense says 15 secs

Why didn't Kilgore challenge this at the PCH?

Definitely Ross' brother saw the video since the publication could have run the story about video discrepancies without any of his other input into this case. In fact, I believe Ross' brother approached the media with his information. JMO

Even within context, the question about picking up my buddy sounds weird. Before this, I thought it was an isolated email that sounded contrived or like a code. Within a conversation, it doesn't seem like a code anymore, but it still reads strange. I also am learning more and more toward LH not knowing what was happening.

Not sure why she went to HD, though, unless.....the original movie plan involved carpooling, but RH changed his mind about that and got out of the carpool arrangement by telling his friends he was running late.

JMO

He didn't tell her he was knocking off work early. She went to HD because it was before 5 PM. She thought he'd still be at work and I think she expected to find an alive Cooper in his car, which is why she took a "witness."

JMO

Definitely Ross' brother saw the video since the publication could have run the story about video discrepancies without any of his other input into this case. In fact, I believe Ross' brother approached the media with his information. JMO

I'm thinking this scenario is what happened.

Might be why AJC used the word "review" as opposed to outright saying they 'viewed' the video. JMO but who the heck knows :waitasec:

on the point by point I notice the defense does not address the ill fitting carseat and its continued use after the Alabama trip, the setting for an infant etc. He simply explains why he was told that carseat was being used. Nothing further to explain why it was not at least adjusted to a larger child or not swapped back for the new one when the trip to Alabama ended.

SNIP

SNIP

Stoddard doesn't mention anything about Ross' eyes. I think his point was that Ross took out his phone to avoid any interaction with anyone. Most folks I know usually exchange a hello or good morning when they pass each other at the office parking lot. Ross was pretending to be oblivious to both. And, by now, detectives have no doubt identified these men and know whether they did know Ross.

JMO

point by point. one witness said RH was trying to get to his child. Others indicated he was placed in cuffs because he refused to get off the phone and told the female officer onscene to "F" off.

The defense does not address the other reports about the incident, only cherry picks the one which seems to portray his client as an "organically" grieving father.

Stoddard doesn't mention anything about Ross' eyes. I think his point was that Ross took out his phone to avoid any interaction with anyone. Most folks I know usually exchange a hello or good morning when they pass each other at the office parking lot. Ross was pretending to be oblivious to both. And, by now, detectives have no doubt identified these men and know whether they did know Ross.

JMO

agreed

I think I will sit back and wait for trial and the surveillance to be reviewed in court. Let's just say that newspapers have money and stories on the mind, and they don't HAVE to prove what they feel is fact. They have to get people to read their stories. The LE involved in the case will have to prove it in court, and lying in police reports and on stand serves them no benefit. This feels a little too sensational to me on the paper's part. Its pretty convenient that they see the footage and report on it, but no one else can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bethechangeyouseek88