Small Details that are interesting in the Cooper Harris case, #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a car accident. I was waiting for LE and called for a tow truck while waiting. I was still on the phone with the insurance company when LE arrived. They waited patiently for me to finish.

Was your child laying on the ground dead? And instead of trying to render aid to him/her you were on the phone. And when the LEO wanted to ask you questions about how your child died, did you tell them to shut the fu** up?

Newer cars are more airtight than the clunkers some of us rode around in, lol, and therefore when RH opened the SUV door both at noon and after work he would have been hit with a rush of hot air right up his nostrils. Similar to opening a vacuum-packed can. The odor wafts out.

As a father of a 22 month old he'd know the smell of a dirty diaper. That alone would have triggered a memory of Cooper. There may have also been vomit and the smell of early decomposition, especially after work. Smells that weren't present in the morning.

Unless and until I see a report that RH lacked all sense of smell I find it impossible to believe he could have missed such an olfactory clue.

To me, vomit is an immediate smell. Within a minute, and most parents can smell a soiled diaper within a minute of the soiling. This child just had breakfast, I was be very surprised if little Cooper did not vomit. Of all the details, this issue of odor is the most suspicious, to me. I cannot say I believe, at this time, RH knew he left his child in the car when arriving at work that morning. I base this on other cases I've read. However, I do not know when RH remembered he left his child in the car. Will be interesting to know if Ross changed his actions after lunch. Exp, no more sexting, more quiet.

Trying to keep an open mind and not let my emotions take over.

To me, vomit is an immediate smell. Within a minute, and most parents can smell a soiled diaper within a minute of the soiling. This child just had breakfast, I was be very surprised if little Cooper did not vomit. Of all the details, this issue of odor is the most suspicious, to me. I cannot say I believe, at this time, RH knew he left his child in the car when arriving at work that morning. I base this on other cases I've read. However, I do not know when RH remembered he left his child in the car. Will be interesting to know if Ross changed his actions after lunch. Exp, no more sexting, more quiet.

My son at that age...the "schedule" was food went in....within the next 10 minutes, he would poop.
He was so easy to potty train!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BBM
At the PCH it was stated that the sexting continued to 3 pm.

The Republic of Texas certainly IS a Southern State....for now (kidding)

LOL!!!! Texas has also been a country and some Texans think that should be tried again. Seriously, Texas is a southern state but also has a huge Western influence which is stronger in some areas than others. East Texas where my daughter-in-law is from is just like Georgia and Alabama in terrain as well as attitudes, speech, etc. I love everything about Texas!

I had a car accident. I was waiting for LE and called for a tow truck while waiting. I was still on the phone with the insurance company when LE arrived. They waited patiently for me to finish.

Apples and oranges, here. NOT even the same (except a car and a cop... okay, I'll give you that, they're both fruit). :) Hope everyone was okay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, y'all!

I misunderstood thinking you thought RH could not be charged with anything concerning his relationship of a 16 year old. Sexual contact age of consent in Georgia is 16, but RH can be charged with sending *advertiser censored* to person under age 18. I have posted several links in the last 10 minutes. Doesn't make common sense, but it is the current law in Georgia. Sex ok but sending nude photos are not. It is my understanding that the teen could have also been charged. You may want to check out the websleuth inappropriate behavior forum. There are lots of discussions. I won't post any more on this forum.

I suspect this will be one of those things they nail him with either in the trial as a lesser charge or save for AFTER the trial so they can get him for SOMETHING should he :::shudder::: get off.

Yep! Very big precedent in 2001 when Kari Engholm got a free pass from the Judge because she "forgot." I never have been able to figure how someone consciously forgets something. If you are conscious of something how do you forget it at the same time? Makes no freakin sense., imo.

Defense attorneys had said in closing arguments that prosecutors had failed to prove that Engholm had acted recklessly. The judge agreed, saying Engholm did not consciously forget about her child and so did not act with reckless disregard for her daughter's safety.

"The court cannot hold the mother accountable in a criminal proceeding, even for reprehensible conduct, if that conduct does not fall within the statutory elements of the crime charged," he said.

A prosecutor expressed disappointment.

"The way this verdict reads, then if somebody just forgot, then there is no case," county attorney Wayne Reisetter said.

[/I]

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/distracted-mom-found-innocent/

Cracks me up. We say ignorance is no defense so now there is a valid argument that "Oopsie! I forgot!" is a defense? Cah-ray-zeeeeeeee!!

Yep - and how dare the public not sympathize enough - after all she only forgot because...she was running late for work.

Engholm said she felt as though she had been judge harshly by public opinion.

"There's probably nothing I can say to those people, but it's probably a small segment of people," she said. "Tragedies happen every day. We're all human, we're all fallible. This could have happened to anyone."

Yep - and how dare the public not sympathize enough - after all she only forgot because...she was running late for work.

But......but........but, don't you know? Haven't you heard?

The guilt that they have to live with is worse than any punishment they could receive from the court.

But......but........but, don't you know? Haven't you heard?

The guilt that they have to live with is worse than any punishment they could receive from the court.

:puke: Argh, I'm soooo tired of that sentiment! I'm sure many of these parents will spend the rest of their lives suffering from their loss - that they caused - but to hear it from a prosecutor or judge? I'm all for considering the parent's suffering during sentencing but to use it as an excuse to not bring charges is beyond comprehension.

Yet another reason why RH may have thought he was going to get away with the murder of his son. Bah.

He knew. If he didn't stop for breakfast he may have got away with it. He knew, he knew, he knew. They can spin it anyway they want. This was supposedly his buddy, they talked the whole 60 seconds it took on that decision to turn left or right. I always talked to my little girl just to know she was all right back there. Was breakfast good, excited about seeing your friends? For crying out loud he had just buckled him in. I think we may find out at trial things were heating up with the 17 year old and he wanted out. Just a thought but he knew Cooper was there when he got out of that car and he left him. Little Teghan broke my heart and I swore to stay away from these stories and than comes along little Cooper left to bake on purpose. But of course there was no malicious intent was there.

'Harris was supposed to drop Cooper to daycare around 9 a.m. last Wednesday but instead went straight to work, allegedly forgetting the boy was strapped in his car seat in the back of the vehicle for seven hours.
But instead of confessing to the tragic blunder – and admitting his baby had been dead for hours – it has been claimed Harris tried to cover his tracks by driving to a nearby shopping center with the dead child and telling onlookers the child had just been choking.'
http://www.georgianewsday.com/news/...-to-die-in-hot-cars.html#sthash.85wYMzhe.dpuf

eta:
'Eyewitness Edward Cockerham, 49, told MailOnline: ‘I was interviewed by the police last night and I told them I thought the guy was acting, he was really over-reacting to the situation.

'I know he had lost his baby but he was acting up more than he should have been. It seemed like acting to me. When he pulled in and people started asking him what had happened, he said that the baby had just started choking.

‘But the baby didn’t look like it had been choking, it looked like it had been sweating, like it had been in a swimming pool, his hair was all wet.'
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...or-awful-day-make-supporters-think-twice.html
So sorry but glad I asked :). I do remember that, now that you've posted it. I'm at that age where forgetting is more commonplace than remembering :blush:. But, glad I asked because that seals the deal for me about his guilt. I'm sure this has been discussed, intensely, but how could you possibly think your child was choking if you just found him in the car having left him in there the entire day! Choking? That is an active state. There was obviously nothing active about poor Cooper at that point. Oh my goodness- how could he have actually said that? That's it for me. I had a shadow of a doubt somewhere in my mind, but no more.

He knew. If he didn't stop for breakfast he may have got away with it. He knew, he knew, he knew. They can spin it anyway they want. This was supposedly his buddy, they talked the whole 60 seconds it took on that decision to turn left or right. I always talked to my little girl just to know she was all right back there. Was breakfast good, excited about seeing your friends? For crying out loud he had just buckled him in. I think we may find out at trial things were heating up with the 17 year old and he wanted out. Just a thought but he knew Cooper was there when he got out of that car and he left him. Little Teghan broke my heart and I swore to stay away from these stories and than comes along little Cooper left to bake on purpose. But of course there was no malicious intent was there.

rbbm

Same here. I followed JR's trial to the end and took a break after. One thing that case taught me is that there are no boundaries limiting what tortures a sick human is willing to do to a child. None. And I'm still waiting to hear if Helen Reyes will ever go to trial on the negligent child abuse charges.

While I'm surprised RH would choose such a painful death for his son I don't find it impossible to imagine. It fits right in with his total lack of emotional connection to Cooper. And yeah, that statement informing LE there was no malicious intent. A walking law book he is....

I don't know where to put this since we don't have a general discussion thread any more :tantrum:

But, I'm watching Dr Drew and he said coming up is the mom of a child that died after being left in a hot car by the mom's father. They didn't mention a name.

ETA: On HLN

I don't know where to put this since we don't have a general discussion thread any more :tantrum:

But, I'm watching Dr Drew and he said coming up is the mom of a child that died after being left in a hot car by the mom's father. They didn't mention a name.

ETA: On HLN

There was a recent case in Texas. Grandpa forgot to drop his 20-month old granddaughter at daycare in the a.m. His grandson found her in the backseat when Grandpa picked him up from school. I think it was in April.

A North Richland Hills grandfather was arrested Wednesday, accused of leaving his 20-month-old granddaughter for about eight hours in a hot car where she died of heatstroke.

James M. Hollingsworth, 59, surrendered to authorities Wednesday morning and was released after posting $5,000 bail.

He was supposed to drop the child off at a day-care center about 7:30 a.m. April 22 but forgot, police said.

http://www.star-telegram.com/2014/07/23/5991086/grandfather-arrested-in-death.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucysmom20