Sniff tests, hair decomp, really so conclusive? Fence sitters thread

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally local6 indicates that Caylee is dead, according to detectives. They name sources, and offer confirmation. This was the last hold out of news media sources. All media sources are now reporting the same - that Caylee is dead, and she was in that trunk.

http://www.local6.com/news/17362634/detail.html

Here is the exact quote:

"(FBI) laboratory evidence, along with additional evidence that has not been made public, leads investigators to the belief there is a strong probability that Caylee is deceased," the Orange County Sheriff's Office said. "If any evidence to the contrary is provided, it will be vigorously pursued."

The Associated Press. (2008, September 2) Police: Body was in car driven by Fla. girl's mom. CourierPost. Retrieved September 2, 2008 from http://www.courierpostonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080902/NEWS01/80902008

I would like to point out that many statements reportedly made by LE have qualifiers, none of these statements have been made without leaving a way for them to backpeddle if in fact the little girl is not dead. Also, many headlines will read as if it is fact that the lab results are conclusive, yet the body of the article will have something like, indicates, strong probability, suggest that... LE imo is spinning things as much as the Anthonys. All involved with the exception of the search groups, are losing credibility in my view. I just cannot be certain, must be nice for some of you that can be so certain even when the experts are not putting their reputations on the line to say without a doubt the child is dead.

"We have scientific evidence back from the FBI lab,” Commander Matt Irwin with the Orange County Sheriffs Office said. “We have other evidence we have not yet released publicly, all of that evidence at this point in its totality leads us to believe Caylee is deceased.

Sgt. John Allen from the Orange County Sheriffs Office said,” There’s evidence to suggest there was a body in the trunk of Casey’s car and that body was Caylee’s”

and somewhere in the midst of it all we have a reported possible sighting said to be from Tim of the TES search but we have no link to read that report as yet that I know of.

NO - let's stop the madness before it starts. That tip has been deemed NOT credible and it came from CINDY! The thread was closed.

I would like to point out that many statements reportedly made by LE have qualifiers, none of these statements have been made without leaving a way for them to backpeddle if in fact the little girl is not dead. Also, many headlines will read as if it is fact that the lab results are conclusive, yet the body of the article will have something like, indicates, strong probability, suggest that... LE imo is spinning things as much as the Anthonys. All involved with the exception of the search groups, are losing credibility in my view. I just cannot be certain, must be nice for some of you that can be so certain even when the experts are not putting their reputations on the line to say without a doubt the child is dead.

"We have scientific evidence back from the FBI lab,” Commander Matt Irwin with the Orange County Sheriffs Office said. “We have other evidence we have not yet released publicly, all of that evidence at this point in its totality leads us to believe Caylee is deceased.

Sgt. John Allen from the Orange County Sheriffs Office said,” There’s evidence to suggest there was a body in the trunk of Casey’s car and that body was Caylee’s”

I agree. There is no positive confirmation. In fact Casey's delay in reporting Caylee missing, the lies and the fact she is still missing suggests Caylee may no longer be alive. They could say this without hair and air.

Here is the exact quote:

"(FBI) laboratory evidence, along with additional evidence that has not been made public, leads investigators to the belief there is a strong probability that Caylee is deceased," the Orange County Sheriff's Office said. "If any evidence to the contrary is provided, it will be vigorously pursued."

The Associated Press. (2008, September 2) Police: Body was in car driven by Fla. girl's mom. CourierPost. Retrieved September 2, 2008 from http://www.courierpostonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080902/NEWS01/80902008

That IF is putting me back on the fence. There could not be an if unless there was an if to the part they did reveal! jeepers...getting tired here. It's no wonder Cindy is having such problems.

The DA and Police being accused of a "rush to judgment" is a typical defense tactic. The cadaver dogs and their handlers will also be put on trial. Anyone that ever knew Casey and/or Caylee is also at risk of having the finger of suspicion pointed at them. It's called building a case of Reasonable Doubt. "My client didn't do it" SODDI (some other dude did it). I think the state and LE are awaiting the results of further testing to collaborate what they clearly believe the preliminary results show: Caylee's decomposing body was in the trunk of Casey's car.

MOO (my own opinion)

DT

Here is the exact quote:

the bolded sentence is quite interesting.
I guess that would include out of state sightings.

"If any evidence to the contrary is provided, it will be vigorously pursued."

Of course they are going to say that! However, to this minute, not ONE. SINGLE. PIECE of evidence has been brought to light that would allow them to do so. But evidence is mounting HEAVILY in the other direction...

IMO all the "suggestions" coming form LE are only meant to try to get Casey to confess to something. Let them suggest away but in court they will have to prove it and all their suggestions are going to make them look foolish when or if they can't prove it.

So far, despite the media constantly repeating that "the DNA proves there was a body in the trunk and it was Caylee", the authorities have not come out with anything stronger than "the evidence suggests", "there is a strong possibility that Caylee could be dead", "the hair is very likely Caylee's", etc. Tonight on that horrible Nancy Grace show that I may never watch again (used to like her), the forensics expert consulting on the show was trying to explain to Nancy that an air sample test is a long way from any kind of conclusive evidence, that it would be a "long leap" to go from that evidence and say that Caylee was dead or had been in the trunk. He also spoke about hair evidence, he said that "banding" (the dark bands that can form on decomposing hair), which is actually air pockets in the hair shaft, can begin forming in hair on a corpse beginning about 8 hours after death and continuing to darken for about 3 days. He said it is not known what other conditions may cause banding to form in hair shafts. He is not sure that it would only occur on hair that was connected to a decomposing body, it might also form on hair exposed to other conditions. He said he has also not heard yet whether it's been proved that the hair is Caylee's. While he was trying to explain this, Nancy Grace kept angrily interrupting and insisting that the hair has to be Caylee's because it has bands on it. She simply won't listen to anyone anymore. Like other experts, he wasn't saying that it's not possible that Caylee did die and was in the trunk, he's just saying that whatever evidence has been gathered, he'd have to see it admitted as evidence in court and hear all the details about it before he could know what it means at all.

Any evidence certainly will have to be scrutinized in court--not least of all the "cadaver dog" evidence. Who says there is any scientific accuracy in that at all? I know it's a popular notion and nice to believe, but who says how accurate it is at all? I mean, the dogs alerted on areas of the back yard. There wasn't anything there. So then, the rationalization that's applied is that the corpse must have been there but was moved, or someone touched a corpse and touched that area, etc, etc. There's some explanation regardless how the dogs alert. Well if it goes to court, hopefully we will hear what, if any, research has been done to determine the rate of accuracy of cadaver dogs noses. It's funny how quick some people are to just accept whatever new technique is used, though, no questions asked.

IMO all the "suggestions" coming form LE are only meant to try to get Casey to confess to something. Let them suggest away but in court they will have to prove it and all their suggestions are going to make them look foolish when or if they can't prove it.

I think you're absolutely right. That's why charges haven't been brought yet.

Thank you for posting that, Misfit76. That is exactly how I feel. I was really hoping to read this thread to find other theories about what may have happened. Unfortunately, I read through 20 pages of arguing and people being rude to each other.

I couldn't agree with you more. I started this thread hoping this would be one thread where alternative theories could be discussed without harassment. But people got on the thread for the first many pages (just a couple of people or three people, but they post enough to bog the whole thread down), endlessly harrassing and not wanting any discussion to occur that doesn't conform with their view. (The one obvious theory that keeps being repeated in the media.) I was like, can't you let us have just this one thread that we can discuss on? Maybe now that this thread is off the front page though, folks can use this page for alternative theories now. We did get some really great posts on here though, where people with science background were discussing the actual chemicals involved in decomposition and whether there actually is any difference between the "decomposition smell" of a human or other animal body.

Post away with all your alternative theories, everyone. We want to hear them here.

AND, a whole lot of us are still hoping and praying that Caylee is alive and well. God bless her and may she be found very soon.

Any evidence certainly will have to be scrutinized in court--not least of all the "cadaver dog" evidence. Who says there is any scientific accuracy in that at all? I know it's a popular notion and nice to believe, but who says how accurate it is at all? I mean, the dogs alerted on areas of the back yard. There wasn't anything there. So then, the rationalization that's applied is that the corpse must have been there but was moved, or someone touched a corpse and touched that area, etc, etc. There's some explanation regardless how the dogs alert. Well if it goes to court, hopefully we will hear what, if any, research has been done to determine the rate of accuracy of cadaver dogs noses. It's funny how quick some people are to just accept whatever new technique is used, though, no questions asked.

Seagull, your observations are very astute. Wondering if you have background in forensics or law or medicine?

I wonder about this too. I think it's very creepy that she was telling people that her parents were letting her takeover the house.

I also wonder about Cindy warning Casey's long time friend Ryan very recently that she was a socipath. Those are strong words and suggest that Cindy was pretty freaked out about things.

Maybe she was planning to do away with ALL of her obstacles? :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member