So who does Aphrodite Jones think is the killer is?

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Nah, I ain't gonna flip. But you probably should not let one crackpot IDI affect you so much.

You're probably right, Roy. In this particular instance, that one crackpot IDI was the jump-off point for me, so I would have been affected either way.

Lately, though, she seems to be affecting me in other ways.

It seems she was exposed.

NOT an image I needed!

I do not align myself with other IDI's nor the IDI movement besides LE.

Wise decision!

I feel LE is now IDI. But only time will tell whether I too, myself, will be exposed. Or maybe it will be you that is exposed.

Maybe, but I ain't holding my breath. But you knew that.

The good thing, Dave, is that we both just HOPE that one of us is. Because that may mean Justice, Pilgrim.

Our star of destiny for, lo, these many years, is it not?

Just to follow up on that, I was hoping to discuss this issue, but we got sidetracked talking about Her Oiliness. So let's try again:

It seems that whenever Roy and I get into it, it always comes back to Nixon and Wategate, and there's a reason for that, because I believe in both cases, the cover-up was worse than the crime.

A few years ago, a defense lawyer-turned talking head named Larry Pozner said that a new Grand Jury should be called to investigate the Boulder police and their conduct in this case.

Now, let me establish right off that I do not like Larry Pozner or any of the other National Lawyers Guild-types like him. But that's not important. What is important is that no such action was taken and that he is ignorant enough not to know why.

Anybody want to guess? I'll save you the trouble! I'll TELL you guys why there was no Grand Jury investigation into the Boulder police department; it's the SAME reason why the DA didn't want to call one in this case and then sabotaged it when it WAS formed:

because then the DA would have had to admit their OWN sins, as Henry Lee put it. I once got into it with some IDI on another forum who agreed with Poz. I told this person, "great idea! Let's have them investigate the DA's office, Lou Smit, and the Ramsey attorneys while they're at it!"

Ths subject was QUICKLY dropped.

Just to follow up on that, I was hoping to discuss this issue, but we got sidetracked talking about Her Oiliness. So let's try again:

It seems that whenever Roy and I get into it, it always comes back to Nixon and Wategate, and there's a reason for that, because I believe in both cases, the cover-up was worse than the crime.

A few years ago, a defense lawyer-turned talking head named Larry Pozner said that a new Grand Jury should be called to investigate the Boulder police and their conduct in this case.

Now, let me establish right off that I do not like Larry Pozner or any of the other National Lawyers Guild-types like him. But that's not important. What is important is that no such action was taken and that he is ignorant enough not to know why.

Anybody want to guess? I'll save you the trouble! I'll TELL you guys why there was no Grand Jury investigation into the Boulder police department; it's the SAME reason why the DA didn't want to call one in this case and then sabotaged it when it WAS formed:

because then the DA would have had to admit their OWN sins, as Henry Lee put it. I once got into it with some IDI on another forum who agreed with Poz. I told this person, "great idea! Let's have them investigate the DA's office, Lou Smit, and the Ramsey attorneys while they're at it!"

Ths subject was QUICKLY dropped.

Can you prove to me why this is such a big deal? I mean I will listen if you want. Now I believe a GJ didn't indict because they didn't have enough. And I am not gonna buy the theory you explained about them not knowing which one did it. I think they really believed and intruder was a strong possibility due to Smit's and other testimony. Even Henry Lee himself has a few quotes out on the GJ.

Was the Grand Jury actually charged to indict on evidence presented or were they charged to examine the case and see if addional evidence could be found or were they charged with some other directive?

What did Hunter actually tell them to do?

Was the Grand Jury actually charged to indict on evidence presented or were they charged to examine the case and see if addional evidence could be found or were they charged with some other directive?

What did Hunter actually tell them to do?

Damn good questions! And thanks to Grand Jury shield laws, we may never know the answers.

Can you prove to me why this is such a big deal? I mean I will listen if you want.

I should HOPE so.

As to WHY it is such a big deal, I should think that would be fairly obvious: because to go forward with any investigation, the DA's office would have to air its own dirty laundry. That would jeopardize their little empire.

Do the names Rodrigo and Lucrezia Borgia mean anything?

Now I believe a GJ didn't indict because they didn't have enough.

Whether or not that's true--and I have good reason to believe it isn't--that is not my point, Roy. My point is that I don't think the Grand Jury was ever INTENDED to indict anyone, and even if it did, the DA would have the power to quash it and be accountable to no one. He'd done it before, you know. It was very clear to a lot of people involved that the Grand Jury was nothing more than an expensive dog-and-pony show, a stunt to cover Alex Hunter's butt in the wake of ST's resignation and look like he was actually DOING something so the Governor of the state wouldn't yank the case out from under him and appoint a special prosecutor who might stumble on to something really damaging, a la Watergate.

And I am not gonna buy the theory you explained about them not knowing which one did it.

And just why not?

I think they really believed an intruder was a strong possibility due to Smit's and other testimony.

Well, even supposing that's true, the only reason why he was allowed to go before them in the FIRST PLACE is because he threatened to do exactly what I'm talking about: drag the DA's dirty laundry out into public.

Even Henry Lee himself has a few quotes out on the GJ.

I know. He makes it very clear that the DA was not up to the job.

SD,
Trying to keep up,
with all the multiples of conspiratorial angles?, all the forces working in tandum, is your commentary regarding Smit related to a point in time, headline or media appearance?

I should HOPE so.

As to WHY it is such a big deal, I should think that would be fairly obvious: because to go forward with any investigation, the DA's office would have to air its own dirty laundry. That would jeopardize their little empire.

Whether or not that's true--and I have good reason to believe it isn't--that is not my point, Roy. My point is that I don't think the Grand Jury was ever INTENDED to indict anyone, and even if it did, the DA would have the power to quash it and be accountable to no one. He'd done it before, you know. It was very clear to a lot of people involved that the Grand Jury was nothing more than an expensive dog-and-pony show, a stunt to cover Alex Hunter's butt in the wake of ST's resignation and look like he was actually DOING something so the Governor of the state wouldn't yank the case out from under him and appoint a special prosecutor who might stumble on to something really damaging, a la Watergate.

And just why not?

Well, even supposing that's true, the only reason why he was allowed to go before them in the FIRST PLACE is because he threatened to do exactly what I'm talking about: drag the DA's dirty laundry out into public.

Rodrigo and Lucrezia Borgia mean nothing to me. Explain it. DA Hunter, from my understanding, was advised by Henry Lee that he should follow the GJ's instructions and leave this case be---at least for now. Hunter was pretty clear that he felt the Ramsey's were involved. I know you feel his actions and statements were contrary to each other.

And I would think if this was a dog and pony show, the governor would have yanked the case. Anyhow, carry on with your theory and I will listen. Subsequent DA's and LE still have this case on the burner and have yet to play their cards. Why?

Burden of proof 10/11/99
Dr Henery Lee, AH:
http://thewebsafe.tripod.com/10111999scientistonbop.htm

VAN SUSTEREN: Well, let me follow-up with a question on that. It seems rather curious: We're told that the meeting between Dr. Lee and Alex Hunter was one that was planned for a long time out in Boulder, the one that occurred over the weekend, yet our information is Dr. Lee did not testify before the grand jury over the weekend. What do you -- what are we to make of the fact that the prosecutor's meeting with Dr. Lee on the side and not -- Dr. Lee is not meeting, currently, with the grand jury?

GRANT: Well, the grand jury is not in session on weekends and court holidays. That's what's been going on the last three days. Today is a day off in the state of Colorado for Columbus Day. Whenever you have an opportunity to meet with, to pick the brain of, to get the expertise of a man of the integrity and vision and experience of Henry Lee, you take it. Clearly, whatever happens in this case, with this grand jury, Dr. Henry Lee and his vision is going to be important to the ongoing process. So, of course you take whatever opportunity you can to meet with a guy like Henry Lee.

COSSACK: All right. April Zesbaugh, it seems a little strange, Bob Grant has pointed out, you always want to use the vision of Dr. Henry Lee, but yet he was never asked to testify before the grand jury. Any reasons?

APRIL ZESBAUGH, KOA RADIO: Good question. I don't know the answer to that, but I think we can take what we got in an interview with Dr. Henry Lee a couple of weeks ago and take this for a kernel of knowledge, anyway.

Two weeks ago, he said the grand jury did not have enough forensic evidence to make an indictment in this case, and he said they need to go back to work and finish their work on this and get the forensic evidence that they need in order to pass on a decision with any clarity.

And so I wonder what different information he has two weeks later, what he could have possibly told Alex Hunter yesterday and over the weekend: that maybe, possibly, he thinks, now, they do have the evidence? I don't know. It's up to anybody's speculation.

Dr Henry Lee, MK, April 26, 2003:
http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/notorious_murders/famous/ramsey/18.html

The Denver area media is still reluctant to let the Ramseys off. The Rocky Mountain News wrote on
April 26, 2003, that Dr. Henry Lee, "the most prominent criminologist to work on the JonBenet Ramsey
case remains unsure whether the child was murdered or died in what started as an accident."
Dr. Lee had not been consulted by the new D.A. and he acknowledged that there "may be significant new
evidence in the cases since his last involvement."
"I respect her," Dr. Lee said of Keenan. "She is a very competent attorney."

I should HOPE so.

And just why not?

no Dave, he says the Ramsey's were cleared. Yes, I said cleared after the GJ investigion. Now I don't want to use Mr Lee as some great source, but that is what he said in his interview in 2008. The DNA is great but the Ramsey's were already cleared. Yes cleared.

SD,
Trying to keep up,
with all the multiples of conspiratorial angles?, all the forces working in tandem, is your commentary regarding Smit related to a point in time, headline or media appearance?

Yes, it is. This should help nail it down:

In February 1999, District Attorney Alex Hunter demanded that detective Lou Smit return evidence that he collected while he worked on the case, including crime scene photographs. Smit refuses "even if I have to go to jail" because he believed the evidence would be destroyed if returned, because it supported the intruder theory. Hunter filed a restraining order and got a court injunction demanding the evidence. Hunter also refused to allow Smit to testify before the grand jury.

Detective Lou Smit filed a motion asking Judge Roxanne Bailin to allow him to address the grand jury. It is not clear if Judge Bailin granted his motion, but on March 11, 1999, Smit testified before the jury. Later that same month, district attorney Alex Hunter signed an agreement allowing Smit to keep the evidence he had collected in the case, but prohibited Smit from "relaying prior conversations" with Ramsey prosecutors and not interfere with the on-going investigation.

Not only did he blackmail his way in front of a grand jury, he was allowed to keep evidence that he took ILLEGALLY to boot!

Rodrigo and Lucrezia Borgia mean nothing to me. Explain it.

Remember: You ASKED for it.

In a nutshell, Rodrigo Borgia and his children, Cesare and Lucrezia (a son and daughter, respectively), were a powerful family in Renaissance Italy who used intrigue, bribery, treachery and murder to achieve power and even worse means to keep it. Their methods and lack of morals were so well-known that the political philosopher Niccolo Machiavelli--who met them--was inspired by them to write his famous book on politics in which he argued that in order to maintain power and prevent chaos, a ruler could not let little things like morals interfere. Since then, the name Borgia has come to be synonymous with political treachery and debauchery.

More specifically, Rodrigo Borgia bribed, blackmailed and murdered his way to becoming Pope Alexander VI, then set out to conquer Italy and unify it through armies led by his brutal, treacherous, lecherous son, Cesare. (Now that I think of it, it would be much better to liken Mary Lacy to Cesare, not Lucrezia.)

Leo Strauss wrote about Machiavellianism in 1958, saying:

Machiavelli is the only political thinker whose name has come into common use for designating a kind of politics, which exists and will continue to exist independently of his influence, a politics guided exclusively by considerations of expediency, which uses all means, fair or foul, iron or poison, for achieving its ends - its end being the aggrandizement of one's country or fatherland - but also using the fatherland in the service of the self-aggrandizement of the politician or statesman or one's party.

Could not have said it better myself.

Right. That should end the history lesson. Do you see the connection now? Because if you don't, I'll be more than happy to give you some real-world examples!

DA Hunter, from my understanding, was advised by Henry Lee that he should follow the GJ's instructions and leave this case be---at least for now. Hunter was pretty clear that he felt the Ramsey's were involved. I know you feel his actions and statements were contrary to each other.

It's more than that, Roy. Steve Thomas talks extensively about the process in which the GJ was selected and how the DA handled it:

My heart sank as Beckner outlined the DA's game plan:

--The grand jury might have the sole mission of helping us secure records, testimony and evidence;
--It might not hear the entire case at all;
--It would not be used to obtain an indictment;
--And if a runaway grand jury somehow returned an indictment on its own, the DA would not be obligated to prosecute.

They seemed willing to go to any lengths, even to distort the grand jury processes, to avoid a courtroom fight with the Ramseys.

I mentioned how Hunter had done this before, and it might help to know what I mean:

I received a copy of a letter containing information on the cold case of one Thayne Smika, who had been arrested in the slaying of Sid Wells. The accused murderer is today, in cop talk, in the wind, because Alex Hunter secretly promised the defense attorney that the 1983 Grand Jury hearing the case would not indict Smika. The victim's family, the cops, and the grand jurors were not told of the deal. In the letter, an attorney named Dan Hale wrote that based on what he had seen, he reached the preliminary conclusion that the agreement "may be in contempt of court."

Just to reinforce my whole "incestuous politics" angle, it should be noted that when Dan Hale became a judge, he forgot all about his problems with Alex Hunter.

And I would think if this was a dog and pony show, the governor would have yanked the case.

Well, you MIGHT think that, but you'd be wrong. The Governor could only intervene if there was clear evidence of impropriety. And the problem with Grand Jury Secrecy is that it prevents exactly that kind of knowledge from coming out. More than that, ver few people want to barge in on an "Active" case, even if they think that calling it "Active" is just a way to avoid intervention in the first place.

Prosecutorial discretion is just about absolute, Roy. Prosecutors are rarely beholden to ANYONE.

Anyhow, carry on with your theory and I will listen.

GOOD

Subsequent DA's and LE still have this case on the burner and have yet to play their cards. Why?

I've been TELLING you why! But, on the off-chance that I've been too cryptic, let's get literal here.

Number one, this case is like nuclear radiation. Nobody wants to go near it, because it contaminates everything and everybody. This case represents the very danger that I've been talking about for the last week now: the danger of having their little ship of state fall apart like a house of cards. They want it to JUST GO AWAY.

Number two, and even more importantly, WHO would they charge, and WITH what? See, that's the whole point of what I'm trying to tell you about the cross finger-pointing problem. You said you weren't going to buy that explanation, but you STILL haven't told me why. So before you do, maybe it would help if I told you about a few prosecutors--GOOD ones--who agree with me:

Bill Ritter, from PMPT:

That left prosecutors with the troubling question of which parent had knowingly caused the child's death. Until investigators could identify each parent's individual actions, two suspects meant no suspects.

And Vincent Bugliosi:

the inevitable question presents itself: which parent did it? A prosecutor can't argue to a jury, "Ladies and gentlemen, the evidence is very clear the either Mr. or Mrs. Ramsey committed this murder and the other one covered it up." Even if you could prove that Patsy Ramsey wrote the ransom note, that doesn't mean she committed the murder."

And if THAT's not enough, Wendy Murphy writes extensively about this case in her book, And Justice for Some, in which she outlines how the Ramsey case is the best-known example of cross finger-pointing in modern history.

But, you'd know that if you'd bother to read the thread I created on this very subject. Despite what you might think, pilgrim, I'm trying to HELP you.

no Dave, he says the Ramsey's were cleared. Yes, I said cleared after the GJ investigation.

I KNOW what he said, pilgrim. I've read it, remember?

Now I don't want to use Mr Lee as some great source, but that is what he said in his interview in 2008. The DNA is great but the Ramsey's were already cleared. Yes cleared.

Don't misinterpret it, pilgrim. He clearly meant it in the sense that they got away with it. I'm not a fool.

Given how she and her predecessor kissed up to people with connections, stabbed their own witnesses in the back and generally acted as if they were of account to no one--right out of the Machiavellian playbook--somehow the comparison to Rodrigo and Lucrezia Borgia seemed appropriate!

Just in case anyone missed this!

Remember: You ASKED for it.

In a nutshell, Rodrigo Borgia and his children, Cesare and Lucrezia (a son and daughter, respectively), were a powerful family in Renaissance Italy who used intrigue, bribery, treachery and murder to achieve power and even worse means to keep it. Their methods and lack of morals were so well-known that the political philosopher Niccolo Machiavelli--who met them--was inspired by them to write his famous book on politics in which he argued that in order to maintain power and prevent chaos, a ruler could not let little things like morals interfere. Since then, the name Borgia has come to be synonymous with political treachery and debauchery.

More specifically, Rodrigo Borgia bribed, blackmailed and murdered his way to becoming Pope Alexander VI, then set out to conquer Italy and unify it through armies led by his brutal, treacherous, lecherous son, Cesare. (Now that I think of it, it would be much better to liken Mary Lacy to Cesare, not Lucrezia.)

Leo Strauss wrote about Machiavellianism in 1958, saying:

Machiavelli is the only political thinker whose name has come into common use for designating a kind of politics, which exists and will continue to exist independently of his influence, a politics guided exclusively by considerations of expediency, which uses all means, fair or foul, iron or poison, for achieving its ends - its end being the aggrandizement of one's country or fatherland - but also using the fatherland in the service of the self-aggrandizement of the politician or statesman or one's party.

Could not have said it better myself.

Right. That should end the history lesson. Do you see the connection now? Because if you don't, I'll be more than happy to give you some real-world examples!

It's more than that, Roy. Steve Thomas talks extensively about the process in which the GJ was selected and how the DA handled it:

My heart sank as Beckner outlined the DA's game plan:

--The grand jury might have the sole mission of helping us secure records, testimony and evidence;
--It might not hear the entire case at all;
--It would not be used to obtain an indictment;
--And if a runaway grand jury somehow returned an indictment on its own, the DA would not be obligated to prosecute.

They seemed willing to go to any lengths, even to distort the grand jury processes, to avoid a courtroom fight with the Ramseys.

I mentioned how Hunter had done this before, and it might help to know what I mean:

I received a copy of a letter containing information on the cold case of one Thayne Smika, who had been arrested in the slaying of Sid Wells. The accused murderer is today, in cop talk, in the wind, because Alex Hunter secretly promised the defense attorney that the 1983 Grand Jury hearing the case would not indict Smika. The victim's family, the cops, and the grand jurors were not told of the deal. In the letter, an attorney named Dan Hale wrote that based on what he had seen, he reached the preliminary conclusion that the agreement "may be in contempt of court."

Just to reinforce my whole "incestuous politics" angle, it should be noted that when Dan Hale became a judge, he forgot all about his problems with Alex Hunter.

Well, you MIGHT think that, but you'd be wrong. The Governor could only intervene if there was clear evidence of impropriety. And the problem with Grand Jury Secrecy is that it prevents exactly that kind of knowledge from coming out. More than that, ver few people want to barge in on an "Active" case, even if they think that calling it "Active" is just a way to avoid intervention in the first place.

Prosecutorial discretion is just about absolute, Roy. Prosecutors are rarely beholden to ANYONE.

GOOD

I've been TELLING you why! But, on the off-chance that I've been too cryptic, let's get literal here.

Number one, this case is like nuclear radiation. Nobody wants to go near it, because it contaminates everything and everybody. This case represents the very danger that I've been talking about for the last week now: the danger of having their little ship of state fall apart like a house of cards. They want it to JUST GO AWAY.

Number two, and even more importantly, WHO would they charge, and WITH what? See, that's the whole point of what I'm trying to tell you about the cross finger-pointing problem. You said you weren't going to buy that explanation, but you STILL haven't told me why. So before you do, maybe it would help if I told you about a few prosecutors--GOOD ones--who agree with me:

Bill Ritter, from PMPT:

That left prosecutors with the troubling question of which parent had knowingly caused the child's death. Until investigators could identify each parent's individual actions, two suspects meant no suspects.

And Vincent Bugliosi:

the inevitable question presents itself: which parent did it? A prosecutor can't argue to a jury, "Ladies and gentlemen, the evidence is very clear the either Mr. or Mrs. Ramsey committed this murder and the other one covered it up." Even if you could prove that Patsy Ramsey wrote the ransom note, that doesn't mean she committed the murder."

And if THAT's not enough, Wendy Murphy writes extensively about this case in her book, And Justice for Some, in which she outlines how the Ramsey case is the best-known example of cross finger-pointing in modern history.

But, you'd know that if you'd bother to read the thread I created on this very subject. Despite what you might think, pilgrim, I'm trying to HELP you.

Thanks for explaining that. And I have heard some of Wendy Murphy's theories but not in detail on that. As a matter of fact, I heard her mention that theory in regards to the Anthony trial. I may read some other books on this case if I ever get the time.

Anyhow thanks for your explanation. I am gonna let it sink in some but I will also retort with the DNA. No matter what politics or all these other factors play, the DNA is more real and more of a factor in this case than way back 12 to 15 years ago.

Thanks for explaining that.

It was a PLEASURE.

And I have heard some of Wendy Murphy's theories but not in detail on that.

Well, there's a difference between her theories on the case and this, Roy. The cross finger-pointing strategy is no theory. It's a very real, tried-and-true legal tactic.

As one of the Assistant DA's in this case put it, "so what if [Patsy] wrote the note? That doesn't prove she killed her kid."

As a matter of fact, I heard her mention that theory in regards to the Anthony trial.

So did I, pilgrim! :grin:

I may read some other books on this case if I ever get the time.

If something's important to you, you make the time.

Anyhow thanks for your explanation.

Anytime, my friend. Anytime at all.

I am gonna let it sink in some but I will also retort with the DNA.

Sink in? Sounds more to me like you're dismissing it. Lot of that goin' around, if you catch my meaning.

No matter what politics or all these other factors play, the DNA is more real and more of a factor in this case than way back 12 to 15 years ago.

I don't think I've ever claimed differently, Roy. But one leads to the other, you follow me?

Aphrodite is good entertainment, but she really has no idea what she's talking about.

I'm still waiting, Roy. We've got a lot to talk about.

Not sure what there is to discuss really. Anyhow, I am still feeling the stinging burn of the Anthony verdict. I feel I need to step away a bit. I consider my interest in such cases a hobby now. I know you feel JBR is a big miscarriage of justice. We both agree for different reasons.

However, for me and I hope you will try and understand, I need a break after witnessing the Casey Anthony debacle. It has given me a deep heart ache and challenged my beliefs. I know we have the best system in the world but I am still trying to come up with the right thing to explain to my family on how this can happen.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove
Back