Source: Casey's Attorney Marketing Photos To Media

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with this post, the photographer/filmographer owns all rights. Sometimes the subjects, if they have not signed a model's release form or something, can cause problems, but as a general rule of thumb, the photographer owns the photo. You do not 'own' the image of your children.

Yeah, I think commercial use might require permission...but the photograph and copywrite still belongs to the photographer.

It's just a casual hobby for me, so I haven't went too deep into it.

This is simple 'supply and demand'.

I hate to be the party-pooper, but as long as people are tuning in for NG's latest "bombshell", GR's "exclusive interview" or to see CA get snippy on LK... or picking up the latest People Magazine or NE, there is a market to sell the sensationalism of the case. And if paying a license fee for some videos or pictures will help make it more sensational and draw more viewers, you can bet they're going to do it. The media doesn't exist as a public service. They're in it for the money. (Maybe that's a misconception I should post in the "Myth-Busters" sticky.)

The viewers/audience/public (i.e., you and me) create the demand for this stuff. No one cares WHY you buy that fabric softener or breakfast cereal... as long as you DO!

Forget the distaste you feel. Consider the ROI. Let's say the MSM has collectively paid $200,000 for various photos and videos. How much ad revenue do you think that has generated? Millions? Not only have they paid, but I would imagine those who made the decision to do so will be receiving hefty bonuses this year.

Anyway, I'm just saying you guys should be informed about the 'where' and 'why'. And I'm not even advocating that WS'ers boycott anything, because you/we make up such a small percentage of the revenue-generating public that it wouldn't matter to anyone.

I'm just saying that while we might find it distasteful that KC, the A's or JB or anyone involved are making money off this case... they can do so because people like us make it possible.

This is sadly true.

But there is a deeper issue here. And one that is very troubling. It is JB, the defense attorney. How on earth does this pass any legal ethics tests or standards? There is a reason why in Florida, criminal defense attorneys cannot reresent clients on contingency. And this reeks of that activity.

There is a reason why you pay a lawyer up front or enter into a clear contract with them involving real property or assets. It insures that the lawyers needs are me up front, and in return that the lawyer is free to service the clients needs to the best ability. Conflict occurs when the lawyers needs have not been met, and what is best for the client in a criminal case may not be best for the lawyer financially. This is clearly what is going on here. JB is feeding the media and continuing to feed the frenzy, which in turn will drive up the price of any photos or similar Caylee related objects. and it is from these contingent earnings that the lawyer will apparently be getting paid. So it is in JB's best interests to keep the circus going. But is it in the best interests of his client, and the criminal charges she faces? Will JB discuss or offer KC advisement about a plea deal if it means dropping the sale price of Caylee memorabilia or pictures? Who's interests are now being served when he goes on Geraldo?

I am thinking that this is something that the Florida bar should probably be looking at, not to mention the trial judge. This action outside the bounds of the courtroom, or criminal proceedings can also leave open an appeal based on ineffective council. Moreso then any of JB's obvious bumblings.

This is sadly true.

But there is a deeper issue here. And one that is very troubling. It is JB, the defense attorney. How on earth does this pass any legal ethics tests or standards? There is a reason why in Florida, criminal defense attorneys cannot reresent clients on contingency. And this reeks of that activity.

There is a reason why you pay a lawyer up front or enter into a clear contract with them involving real property or assets. It insures that the lawyers needs are me up front, and in return that the lawyer is free to service the clients needs to the best ability. Conflict occurs when the lawyers needs have not been met, and what is best for the client in a criminal case may not be best for the lawyer financially. This is clearly what is going on here. JB is feeding the media and continuing to feed the frenzy, which in turn will drive up the price of any photos or similar Caylee related objects. and it is from these contingent earnings that the lawyer will apparently be getting paid. So it is in JB's best interests to keep the circus going. But is it in the best interests of his client, and the criminal charges she faces? Will JB discuss or offer KC advisement about a plea deal if it means dropping the sale price of Caylee memorabilia or pictures? Who's interests are now being served when he goes on Geraldo?

I am thinking that this is something that the Florida bar should probably be looking at, not to mention the trial judge. This action outside the bounds of the courtroom, or criminal proceedings can also leave open an appeal based on ineffective council. Moreso then any of JB's obvious bumblings.

Thanks!!!! :blowkiss:

This speaks to my earlier question about who made the suggestion to sell the pix in order to keep the coffers full. If Baez had undue influence. After all, it's he that will be getting paid. The perp does have the choice of a public defender if she cannot pay, does she not? Was this the only alternative offered, I wonder.

Furthermore, I understand that the pix offered are also of Caylee and the perp. It would be a double win for the defense- money, and endless and free publicity reinforcing the lie that the perp was a wonderful mother.

Maybe LE should just release all the pictures they've confiscated from the web in the next doc dump? The web would be saturated with them and they wouldn't be worth a plugged nickel!

Guys... I don't know how to complain or start a new thread, but something is very wrong in "todays current news topic!"

Ok, thank you. I got nervous... sorry. was away for a bit and came back to that....

Maybe LE should just release all the pictures they've confiscated from the web in the next doc dump? The web would be saturated with them and they wouldn't be worth a plugged nickel!

I agree, but I think the web might already be saturated with them. If Casey took them (the only way she could sell rights) she probably put them on her myspace/facebook. So IMO, it will be pictures like:
m_35e1612d74e940f398adf862eb99b462.jpg

Who the he!! is WFTV's source on this? I'm not doubting the validity, but who would know except JB, KC and the company they were trying to hock the pictures to? Any other insider who would know, you'd have to believe JB trusts them. And he has to know where the leak is coming from.

I just checked, and WFTV's national affiliate is CNN. Is CNN the wealthiest national news outlet? Just wondering. Do they 'own' the LKL and NG and GR shows?

On another note... has it been confirmed yet which news outlet paid Caylee's murderer the $200,000 blood money for Caylee's pictures? I want to know this for personal reasons - I will carefully check ALL their affiliates, and I will never again watch or read ANYTHING put out by them.

TIA,
BeanE

I just checked, and WFTV's national affiliate is CNN. Is CNN the wealthiest national news outlet? Just wondering. Do they 'own' the LKL and NG and GR shows?

On another note... has it been confirmed yet which news outlet paid Caylee's murderer the $200,000 blood money for Caylee's pictures? I want to know this for personal reasons - I will carefully check ALL their affiliates, and I will never again watch or read ANYTHING put out by them.

TIA,
BeanE

"News Corporation" is the largest media conglomorate.

It is owned by Murdoch, who owns alot of the world's media, including new york post, wall street journal, fox news, fox searchlight, The Sun, News of the World, 20th century fox, speed TV, Myspace, and much more!

"Time Warner" is the 2nd largest. They own ...CNN, HBO, The CW, TheWB.com, Warner Bros. Entertainment, Cartoon Network, HNN .. and much more!

The best things in life are free...
But you can't tell that to the Anthony's -
Now give 'em money...that's what they want.

Stolen checks give KC a thrill,
but they don't pay the Baez bill...

I totally apologize to Barrett Strong, but I couldn't resist.

I wonder if there are any squirrel photos? You know, to prove about the smell in the car.

Hi all. This is my first post - please be gentle!

I think if JB were truly smart, he would give the press pictures for FREE that depict KC and Caylee together looking happy, with KC looking as maternal and nurturing as possible. He needs to get pics out there that show her <pretending to be> a loving mother. JMO...

Hi all. This is my first post - please be gentle!

I think if JB were truly smart, he would give the press pictures for FREE that depict KC and Caylee together looking happy, with KC looking as maternal and nurturing as possible. He needs to get pics out there that show her <pretending to be> a loving mother. JMO...

Welcome.

You would think that they would want those kinds of pics out there...but no one EVER accused JB of being smart.

Work with me on this one, peeps-Didn't Baez rant in court and afterwards with the last hearing that he was not in the business of selling photos? That he didn't own photos and that it was a spurious allegation?? Anyone???

Only my opinion but despite the rep CA & GA have given themselves I do not believe for one second that they will allow JB to exploit their dead grand daughter regardless of who it benefits, it would not suprise me to see them seek an order to stop the sale of any images of their Caylee. MOO

:mad: How sad! I guess I can't be surprised that a woman willing to kill her child b/c she is getting the way of "life" isnt above pimping the dead daughter out. Is she not releasing the body for burial b/c she is still working on a deal for the dead baby photos & still shopping for the most bucks?

I don't think this looks good for Casey. I hope every single person they discussed shopping those photos with is called to the stand. Let them tell in their own words how grieving this b!tch was.
I agree with you. And "pimping" is just what she and JB are doing too. Her actions do not surprise me. I just hope that this is brought before the jury during the trial by the prosecution to show exactly how she's been "grieving".

You know I try really hard to have compassion for people, but HER? I have none for her. There is no redeeming quality in her at all that I can see.... to use her words... she's a "huge waste." And I hate to feel that way about people, but it's true about her. No redeeming qualities in her at all... she is beyond help.

And JB should be disbarred, and ashamed of himself... IMO

Work with me on this one, peeps-Didn't Baez rant in court and afterwards with the last hearing that he was not in the business of selling photos? That he didn't own photos and that it was a spurious allegation?? Anyone???

brought this up in another thread...isn't it interesting that the same day that the body is released from defense is the day you hear of photos being sold for money...makes me think a deal was made....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olalalala