South Africa - Anni Dewani, 28, shot to death, Gugulethu, 13 Nov 2010 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good gracious.

Someone tweeted that reporter numbers had really thinned out too. I wonder if it's possible there was something eaten and drunk at court, that was bad? I can't help recalling the reporter mentioning all the big, fat rats outside court early in the morning........

Groan. I kept seeing JubJub come up on twitter. Thought it was a South African TV show and just looked it up.

ETA: Killed four children, injured two while drag racing on drugs. Sentenced just reduced to ten years.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-29538787

If I remember correctly he was proved to be under the influence of drugs and drink and in SA Law they are accepted reasons for a verdict of CH. However, the judge gave him murder and 25 years. This is why there has been an appeal. Most of us would think he deserves life if he is taking drugs and drink and driving in such a way as to kill 4 children and seriously maim 2 others but it seems in SA it is considered one is not in control of what one is doing if on drugs and drink and therefore CH is an acceptable verdict.

give the man 15 minutes to go to the men's room

Or...is there something suspect going on? No communication would be allowed between Dewani and Qwabe, would it?

If I remember correctly he was proved to be under the influence of drugs and drink and in SA Law they are accepted reasons for a verdict of CH. However, the judge gave him murder and 25 years. This is why there has been an appeal. Most of us would think he deserves life if he is taking drugs and drink and driving in such a way as to kill 4 children and seriously maim 2 others but it seems in SA it is considered one is not in control of what one is doing if on drugs and drink and therefore CH is an acceptable verdict.

that's awful

send a cleaning crew to the courthouse--noro virus?

Dewani and Qwabe are in different state institutions, but are they provided with food from those places, or fed at the court house? Otherwise, it's a big coincidence they both get stomach upsets at the same time, from food? in separate institutions.

Dewani and Qwabe are in different state institutions, but are they provided with food from those places, or fed at the court house? Otherwise, it's a big coincidence they both get stomach upsets at the same time, from food? in separate institutions.

water at the courthouse would be a simple answer to that ?

or noro virus -- seriously --

The court was also told about about discrepancies in Qwabe's affidavit and his evidence in court over when the "hit" money was retrieved from the car.

Qwabe said it was "possible" he mixed up his left and right when he searched the taxi looking to retrieve evidence which would have placed him at the scene.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-bristol-29549000

This has come up on the OP thread too. Just for clarity:

In his judgment, Maluleke said: “While it is correct that the role of drugs was clearly established as well as the direct role this played in the conduct of the appellants, this in our view eliminates the conditions of dolus eventualis (direct intention).”

He said the pair had no foresight of the fatal accident. Maluleke, however, did not excuse their behaviour.

“Their conduct cut short the lives of four innocent schoolchildren and completely confined two others to a life of care.”

http://www.iol.co.za/news/crime-cour...1#.VDZ-oixxnBw

Four innocent lives lost and 2 permanently brain damaged. So you get a lesser sentence because you were on drugs? Okay, so there might not have been intent to kill, but what are 4 deaths and 2 lives ruined forever worth.

Another ghastly thing ... the parents of the victims weren't notified that the appeal was being heard today. This is supposed to be done but wasn't. One parent was actually walking past the court and wondered what all the fuss was about. She asked someone and that's how she found out. Truly appalling.

This is a very interesting article.

Here, Dewani uses the word “like” for what he, earlier in his statement, recorded as “instantly physically attracted”. The word “like” is, one must argue, quite devoid of any passion or physical longing. If Dewani was trying to be the polite, well brought-up boy, this was not the time to be doing this.

http://www.dailymaverick.co.za/arti...victim-finally-in-the-courtroom/#.VDaNHSxxnBw

This is a very interesting article.

Here, Dewani uses the word “like” for what he, earlier in his statement, recorded as “instantly physically attracted”. The word “like” is, one must argue, quite devoid of any passion or physical longing. If Dewani was trying to be the polite, well brought-up boy, this was not the time to be doing this.

http://www.dailymaverick.co.za/arti...victim-finally-in-the-courtroom/#.VDaNHSxxnBw

To put it into context, this is what he wrote:

“When we first met, I immediately liked you ... And no, not just because you are pretty ... but because you made me laugh. We had such a good time at the first dinner at Asia de Cuba. I have always wanted a girl that I can be friends with. One that understands me - and I know that that is not easy.”

I'm no fan of this guy, but I can't agree with the author of the article on this. The use of the word "like" is entirely appropriate there. Relationships that are based purely on physical attraction ("passion or physical longing") rarely last. It's important that you "like" each other, and it's quite clear that that's what he's talking about there.

Cherwell: I see what you are saying, but for me the most telling line is "I have always wanted a girl that I can be friends with". I might be reading to much in to this, but it indicates to me that he wanted a female friend rather than a female (sexual) partner. Of course, nothing has been proven yet, but I am in the camp (pardon the pun) of people who think he did arrange to get rid of Anni, motive being that he is gay and needed to cover up this fact somehow. Although, in this day and age, I didn't think that being a homosexual came with a big stigma, but it might be different in some cultures I suppose. IF he did all this to cover up being gay he failed terribly considering the whole world now knows about it and that he likes fetish S&M action! Maybe he wanted to come out of the closet and did it in a SPECTACULAR way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cherwell: I see what you are saying, but for me the most telling line is "I have always wanted a girl that I can be friends with". I might be reading to much in to this, but it indicates to me that he wanted a female friend rather than a female (sexual) partner. Of course, nothing has been proven yet, but I am in the camp (pardon the pun) of people who think he did arrange to get rid of Anni, motive being that he is gay and needed to cover up this fact somehow. Although, in this day and age, I didn't think that being a homosexual came with a big stigma, but it might be different in some cultures I suppose. IF he did all this to cover up being gay he failed terribly considering the whole world now knows about it and that he likes fetish S&M action! Maybe he wanted to come out of the closet and did it in a SPECTACULAR way.

That's probably the case, but I think it's something that anybody would naturally wish for anyway, to find a lover who will also be a friend.

Suppose that he had been in a position to have a same-sex marriage, like many people today. He could genuinely have written the same words to his lover and no one would think it odd, in fact it comes across as a grounded attitude.

I just thought the author was putting a ridiculous spin on his use of the word "like".

Hi again Cherwell,

I totally agree with you. I guess I was trying to do a Statement Analysis where they say that even liars tend to tell the truth. As you say, it sounds like a genuine comment (grounded attitude as you put it), and therefore I think this could be the truth. Statement Analysis should work on the e-mail he sent to Annie, but unfortunately not on the Plea Explanation considering his legal team probably wrote this. I did think that some of the paragraphs in the Plea Explanation sounded weird and I read stuff in to that too, but that might not have been Shrien's own words.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member