GUILTY South Africa - Gill Packham, 57, murdered, Cape Town, 22 February, 2018 *arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
This trial could be interesting. Susan Galloway is prosecuting and Judge Elizabeth Baartman will be presiding. Judge Baartman is well- versed in the law. She started out as a prosecutor, became a Magistrate, has been a judge on the Western Cape Bench for the past 10 years and has been an acting judge at the SCA on a number of occasions, one being the NPA’s appeal against Pistorius’ initial culpable homicide conviction. Only three of her judgments have been successfully appealed against since she joined the High Court.

After the Masipa fiasco, I must say I really looking forward to seeing confident, competent women in the courtroom.

While detectives were breaking the traumatic confirmation of Gill Packham’s death to her heartbroken daughters at Diep River police station, their father was partying with friends at his marital home a few kilometres away when police arrived to arrest him.

A source familiar with the events of that week said, “It looked so normal. … People close to her were still hoping she would by some miracle be found alive, that the burnt body found in the boot of her car wasn’t hers. And there was Rob partying with friends. When the cops arrived he’d had a good couple of drinks already. He wasn’t badly under the influence, but under the influence. There were beer and wine bottles all over the place.”

Rob Packham was drinking, partying with friends minutes before his arrest | Weekend Argus

While detectives were breaking the traumatic confirmation of Gill Packham’s death to her heartbroken daughters at Diep River police station, their father was partying with friends at his marital home a few kilometres away when police arrived to arrest him.

A source familiar with the events of that week said, “It looked so normal. … People close to her were still hoping she would by some miracle be found alive, that the burnt body found in the boot of her car wasn’t hers. And there was Rob partying with friends. When the cops arrived he’d had a good couple of drinks already. He wasn’t badly under the influence, but under the influence. There were beer and wine bottles all over the place.”

Rob Packham was drinking, partying with friends minutes before his arrest | Weekend Argus

There are some people who are just plain evil. Whatever must his daughters think of him!

They knew he was cheating on their mother and it was widely reported that he broke his bail conditions in order to contact his ex-mistress. As a result of this, he was unable to attend his daughter's wedding.

What a toad he is! I hope he is put away for a very, very long time. Life should mean life for this despicable man.

Do we know if this will be live-streamed? Very excited to see Galloway and Baartman in action!

Gill and Rob Packham’s youngest daughter, Nicola, will be called to testify against her father in his trial. It is expected that she will shed light on her father’s infidelities, which she kept secret from her mother for years until a few months before she was murdered.

When Detectives apparently got wind that Nicola was about to fly to the UK and was unsure if she would be returning to South Africa, they served her with a subpoena last month. They are aware that she is very close to her father and is reluctant to testify against him.

It is common knowledge among Gill’s friends that Nicola was aware of her father’s infidelities. She became aware of his activities when she was in high school after finding evidence on his cell phone. After confronting her father, he promised her he would change his ways, but he continued his sexual behaviour right through her university years.

“She didn’t want to tell Gill because she didn’t want to hurt her mother or get her father into trouble. Nicola is very much daddy’s little girl. It was a terrible secret for a daughter to keep. No child should be put in that position.”

When she finished her studies at University and knew that she was relocating to Johannesburg, she stopped covering for her dad. “She knew she was no longer going to be around to control him”. “Gill was distressed. She was oblivious of Rob’s secret sex life. All hell broke lose. She tried to save her marriage. Five months later she was dead.”

A week later, while detectives were telling Nicola and her sister Kerry that the burnt body in the boot was their mother, their father was arrested at home while he partied with friends. From that moment on, Nicola has believed that her father has been falsely accused of murdering her mother and has demonstrated it in public by being one of his most constant supporters during his numerous court appearances.

“Rob sat her down, looked at her in the eye and told her he didn’t murder her mother,” said the source. “And she believes her father.”

Susan Galloway will tell Judge Elize Steyn that she is seeking life imprisonment for Packham.

Youngest Packham daughter will testify in her father's murder trial | Weekend Argus

It seems that there has been a change of Judge. Judge Steyn was previously an advocate and has been on the Bench for about 9 years.

Do we know if this will be live-streamed? Very excited to see Galloway and Baartman in action!

No news on this yet.

It looks like the Judge will now be Judge Steyn. I'm not sure what I think about this judge. She's 66 years old, was an advocate for 30 years, took silk in 1999 and has been on the Bench since 2010. These are the only two cases I've been able to find:

In 2016 she sentenced Aljar Swartz to 22 years – He was 17 when he beheaded a 15 year old boy for his body parts. This was quite a bizarre case.
Family shocked at sentence in beheading case

In 2017 she sentenced Nigel Plaatjies' to life plus 15 years – He was 18 when he strangled a 77 year old female writer and robbed her. This terribly unfortunate woman had mentored him since he was a child.
Winnie Rust's family to continue her legacy of hope after her killers get life

Burning candle found next to gas stove at Winnie Rust death scene

Galloway wants a life sentence. I hope the Judge doesn't disappoint us.

Last edited:
High risk of load-shedding on Monday

This could affect a live broadcast today.

Thanks Hag. I was just about to update my previous post. It's now after 11:00. What can I say, OISA. If it's not one thing it's another. I'll keep checking on an hourly basis. If it did get a start, I'll post anything that turns up in the media. So disappointing. I've checked the usual tweeters including NvdL ... nothing.

Thanks JJ for all your posts. I’ve been checking for something, anything, but not a word could I find. Very disappointing, but we almost expect it, I think!

Last edited:
My post has disappeared. I'll log out and come back in again!!!!!

Rob #Packham in the dock of the Western Cape High Court. He is accused of murdering his wife Gill in their Constantia home last year as well as defeating the ends of justice. His trial starts shortly. (@TammyPetersen87)

Gill #Packham’s remains had been found in the boot of her burnt out car at Diep River station on February 22 last year, the same day she disappeared. She had died of blunt traumatic head injuries and her body had been burnt post mortem.

Prosecutor Adv Susan Galloway reads out the charges: murder and obstructing the course of justice. #Packham tells Judge Elize Steyn he pleads not guilty.

Team News24 (@TeamNews24) | Twitter

#Packham will not provide a plea explanation, his advocate Craig Webster confirms.

[No PE? I haven’t seen this before]

The first witness is Bernice Moore, a secretary at Springfield Convent School. She was Gill #Packham's colleague. Gill hadn't been at school at 7:30 and she became worried.

The 3 secretaries had their own whatsapp group. Moore decided to contact Gill #Packham, but there was no answer. When the bell had rung at 7:50, there was still no answer on her cellphone or home landline.

At 8:15, Moore reported it to management. They decided to check up on #Packham's residence at 8:30. The estate manager found everything locked, with the alarm light on. Nobody was home.

I’m glad Tammy Petersen is tweeting. She’s good]

Moore phoned Rob #Packham, Gill's emergency contact. There was no answer - at times it rang, or went straight to VM. She phoned his work at 9:10, but was told he wasn't in yet. She phoned their daughter Nicola, who was in Johannesburg, who would try to reach them.

Moore said she continued to try Gill #Packham's number. She later spoke to Rob, just after 10:30. He was on the school premises, said he was coming up to her office as he wanted to know who he was talking to.

Moore testifies that she and Packham spoke about where Gill could be. She knew Gill had two flats in Claremont, but #Packham said only she had the keys. He said he would drive to their favourite beach and see if she was there.

The #Packham house was only 3-4km from the school, Moore says. They took the same route to school through side roads to skip traffic. She suspected that Gill hadn't taken that route as she didn't see her on the way as she usually does.

Moore said she got a funny feeling when #Packham said he wanted to see who he was speaking to on the other end of the line. His eyes were big in his head when she saw him, Moore said - not necessarily worried, but frazzled.

#Packham didn't want school management involved to help find his wife, Moore testifies. The State has no further questions.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ava l
Back