South Africa - Martin, 55, Theresa, 54, Rudi van Breda, 22, murdered, 26 Jan 2015 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
No sign of Dr Elspeth Burke, the psychologist expected to testify as a witness in Henri #VanBreda's defence. Court starts shortly.

Adv Botha says defence has consulted with neurologist Dr Butler, but consultations are still underway. Refers to case law which says he may call him as a witness. Adv Galloway has told him she will not object.

Judge Desai says he wants to complete the #VanBreda case this week. Adv Botha wants to adjourn until Monday for reports and consultations. He says they will finish with both witnesses within a day, at most 2.

Adv Botha asks for matter to be adjourned until next Monday, 27 November. Also
allows Galloway to deal with consultations. Desai suggests this coming Monday, saying: "I want to get on with my life". So do I, replies Adv Botha.

Judge Desai says Dr Butler is an expert witness and if his evidence is significant, State may want to consult another witness. Adv Galloway says she will deal with this before November 27.

Dr Butler only has 1 paragraph relevant to 2h40m #VaBreda can't remember. Adv Botha says he has asked the expert to elaborate on this. Judge Desai says trial now being unduly prolonged. Accepts explanation that witness is unexpected and may be relevant; in interest of justice.

Case adjourned until November 27. Judge Desai says he wants the case completed by the end of the month.

https://twitter.com/TeamNews24

Oi vey!

Thanks everyone for your sentiments about my mother. She had a great life and ended it suddenly with a stroke. She said she always wanted to die "with her boots on". No long-term suffering.

I am departing Sydney today to Los Angeles to stay with a friend then to Florida to board the "Prinsendam" ship on Saturday bound for the Amazon via many Caribbean islands for 30 days and then to New York for Christmas with my son and family and to see my grand daughter dance in the Nutcracker at the Lincoln Centre!

So unfortunately I will probably miss the part part of this case - HvB being found guilty!!!! Internet is either not available or too expensive so I will not be able to watch it at the time so will catch up later. The psychological and neurological aspects of cases are the most interesting to me so I will be curious about the outcome of this case.

Here's hoping.......

Thanks everyone for your sentiments about my mother. She had a great life and ended it suddenly with a stroke. She said she always wanted to die "with her boots on". No long-term suffering.

I am departing Sydney today to Los Angeles to stay with a friend then to Florida to board the "Prinsendam" ship on Saturday bound for the Amazon via many Caribbean islands for 30 days and then to New York for Christmas with my son and family and to see my grand daughter dance in the Nutcracker at the Lincoln Centre!

So unfortunately I will probably miss the part part of this case - HvB being found guilty!!!! Internet is either not available or too expensive so I will not be able to watch it at the time so will catch up later. The psychological and neurological aspects of cases are the most interesting to me so I will be curious about the outcome of this case.

Here's hoping.......

I want to go just like your Mum. What a grand old lady.

Have a wonderful holiday, Estelle, and tell your granddaughter ‘Chookas’ from me.

Best wishes for a lovely holiday. It sounds an incredible trip. We shall miss your expert input on the neuro and psycho aspects of this case.

Here's hoping.......
Estelle, our Mum is very dear to us and always remembered.
Enjoy a safe terrific holiday and a wonderful time with family.
Looking forward to more of your informative posts on your return.

Here's hoping.......

This sounds like a fabulous trip Estelle, especially the Amazon which will be amazing. Have a fantastic time. Christmas with the family will be the icing on the cake. What a wonderful way to end the year.

Forget about HvB until you return home. You don't need to remember the ugliness associated with this trial while you're enjoying yourself, but we'll all miss your insightful comments.

Bon Voyage, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Here's hoping.......

My condolences, Estelle.

Enjoy your cruise; that's a great itinerary and the Prinsendam is a special ship.

http://ewn.co.za/2017/11/15/doctor-to-explain-van-breda-s-blackout-on-night-of-attack

DOCTOR TO EXPLAIN VAN BREDA’S BLACKOUT ON NIGHT OF ATTACK

Wits University neurology professor, Girish Modi, explains that someone with this condition usually experiences seizures before they wake up.
“Actual epilepsy is different to what we know as epilepsy. This is a case where your whole body jumps.”

Modi says it usually occurs in the teenage years, but can also only surface in adulthood, although this is uncommon.

https://www.iol.co.za/weekend-argus/family-was-aware-of-van-bredas-seizures-12060654

Van Breda family aware of Henri's seizures according to book to be released.

Thanks L2L.

How very odd. Why didn't the family bring this up before the case started or earlier during the case and how odd to wonder if the sister had lied about it. Very strange undertones to this story. Even if it were to be true the type of epilepsy being described involves absences not hours of unconsciousness and it doesn't account for the utterly vicious manner of the attacks for which he is being tried.

I wonder if Dr Butler requested Henri's medical records in making his diagnosis. Wouldn't be too hard to do, even if it was in Australia, with Henri's consent.

I wonder if Dr Butler requested Henri's medical records in making his diagnosis. Wouldn't be too hard to do, even if it was in Australia, with Henri's consent.

I also wonder why Dr Butler was on the Prosecution list of witnesses but was not called. Why was the PT in touch with him or should we assume it was a pure coincidence he was on their witness list rather than an indication there was something in HvB's medical history that the PT wished not to be aired?

I still find it hard to contemplate that this latest charade will make any difference to the verdict.

I also wonder why Dr Butler was on the Prosecution list of witnesses but was not called. Why was the PT in touch with him or should we assume it was a pure coincidence he was on their witness list rather than an indication there was something in HvB's medical history that the PT wished not to be aired?

I still find it hard to contemplate that this latest charade will make any difference to the verdict.
I think I remember hearing Galloway tell Desai that he wasn't a state witness, but that they consulted him for the purposes of cross-examination of a defence expert.

I don't think it will make a difference to the verdict.

I think I remember hearing Galloway tell Desai that he wasn't a state witness, but that they consulted him for the purposes of cross-examination of a defence expert.

I don't think it will make a difference to the verdict.

Thanks Tortoise. I think I must have misunderstood.

Wits University neurology professor, Girish Modi, explains that someone with this condition usually experiences seizures before they wake up.
“Actual epilepsy is different to what we know as epilepsy. This is a case where your whole body jumps.”

Modi says it usually occurs in the teenage years, but can also only surface in adulthood, although this is uncommon.

I don't believe a word this guy says.

BREAKING: Panayiotou sentenced to life

BREAKING: Pistorius sentenced to 15 years less time served =

13 years 5 months more to serve

Justice for Reeva ... at last

I'd love to end this year with a trifecta. Fingers crossed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HelloKitty1298