Spain Spain - Ana Knezevich, 40, from Florida, going through divorce, missing under suspicious circumstances on trip to Madrid, 5 Feb 2024 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
So here is my question. Ana chose Spain based on her previous travels in Europe. She did not plan to settle forever, at least initially. Prior travels might include a cellphone that is unlocked and used for foreign travels, and when unused, kept at home. During travels, US calls might be forwarded to a European SIM card number. Maybe several unlocked phones are kept at the household, if people are frequent travelers? Perhaps some additional information can be found out this way? One wonders if she had a phone (device) bought in Spain, or an unlocked US one? Expat guide to getting a SIM card and phone number in Spain

Ana Knezevic and her best friend, Sanna Rumeau. (Sanna Rumeau/Courtesy)

“I think the focus should be on a horrible tragic situation of a missing young woman and finding her,” Ken Padowitz, David Knezevic’s Fort Lauderdale-based attorney, told the Sun Sentinel on Tuesday. “The focus should not be on a man who was not in the country and has been cast as a person in the role of a hotly contested divorce, which is just not accurate. That narrative is false.”

David Knezevic still owns the couple’s Fort Lauderdale home on Northeast Eighth Avenue.

Police have responded to the address 26 times since the couple bought the home in 2018, records show. Reports detail multiple noise complaints over parties, break-ins and thefts of David Knezevic’s belongings, a construction employee harassing Knezevic over not being paid, and a stop work order because of a bathroom remodeling he was doing without a permit. But nothing indicates Ana Knezevic might have been in danger.

Asked if David Knezevic would speak to the Sun Sentinel, Padowitz said, “David’s first inclination was to speak out. But I cautioned him and gave him legal advice that that’s not a prudent thing to do in this situation. It would be malpractice if I told my client, ‘go out and answer a thousand questions from media.'”
Husband of Fort Lauderdale woman missing in Madrid says divorce was amicable; FBI experts weigh in on case

Ana Knezevic and her best friend, Sanna Rumeau. (Sanna Rumeau/Courtesy)

“I think the focus should be on a horrible tragic situation of a missing young woman and finding her,” Ken Padowitz, David Knezevic’s Fort Lauderdale-based attorney, told the Sun Sentinel on Tuesday. “The focus should not be on a man who was not in the country and has been cast as a person in the role of a hotly contested divorce, which is just not accurate. That narrative is false.”

David Knezevic still owns the couple’s Fort Lauderdale home on Northeast Eighth Avenue.

Police have responded to the address 26 times since the couple bought the home in 2018, records show. Reports detail multiple noise complaints over parties, break-ins and thefts of David Knezevic’s belongings, a construction employee harassing Knezevic over not being paid, and a stop work order because of a bathroom remodeling he was doing without a permit. But nothing indicates Ana Knezevic might have been in danger.

Asked if David Knezevic would speak to the Sun Sentinel, Padowitz said, “David’s first inclination was to speak out. But I cautioned him and gave him legal advice that that’s not a prudent thing to do in this situation. It would be malpractice if I told my client, ‘go out and answer a thousand questions from media.'”
Husband of Fort Lauderdale woman missing in Madrid says divorce was amicable; FBI experts weigh in on case
In my opinion his "first inclination" was to hire a former Homicide prosecutor to represent him. Ana's brother and Sanna's first inclinations were to speak out - because that is what they did first. In my opinion.

Has this been posted before? Feels important.

Hear the audio message Ana Knezevic sent to her friend before she disappeared | Fox News Video

Ana specifically says she's "actually feeling really good." Just after that, there's a line that's garbled, can anybody make it out? Something about "which made me feel good"?

At the end, she actually mentions wanting to go on a trip outside of Madrid and flags up La Sierra. However, that's 45 minutes in car and not much more by train.

Hear the audio message Ana Knezevic sent to her friend before she disappeared | Fox News Video

Ana specifically says she's "actually feeling really good." Just after that, there's a line that's garbled, can anybody make it out? Something about "which made me feel good"?

At the end, she actually mentions wanting to go on a trip outside of Madrid and flags up La Sierra. However, that's 45 minutes in car and not much more by train.
Nope, just mumbles and yesterday, good, make me feel really nice.

interestingly newsnation covered this and apparently cut that part out.

Last edited:

BBM
To me it sounds like she says
"yesterday ??name?? sent me this really sweet message which made me feel all nice" and then she laughs/giggles a little.

Sounds to me like she says "Lilly" sent me this really sweet message.
What I heard was “yesterday (Lili? Ali? Eli?) sent me a nice message”. But the name is unclear. It can be an abbreviation, LE.
However, at the end, Ana definitely mentions a name (Alyssa? Elissa?), the person who she hopes to convince to make a trip outside to the mountains. She doesn’t say her or him, though. It can be an obvious female name, but there are male versions, Eliseo, Eliso and Elisso. Even Aliso, that would be more Basque.

Nope, just mumbles and yesterday, good, make me feel really nice.

interestingly newsnation covered this and apparently cut that part out.

(No offense, but what is on Cuomo’s forehead? Ashes?)

Now, when I googled Aliso, I found out that “Lili” could be a version of it. It would probably be most common in Italy, but the name could be used alternatively with Lili. (There are many versions, and it might be another name that is derived from a Hebrew origin and then, not related to Lily, but still something to consider.) i noticed that while Ana’s “s” and “z” are soft, “l” is very obvious. I think that if we hear “l” in her speech, it is definitely there, “s”, however, could be “z” and the vowel coming after it, anything.

Last edited:

Now, when I googled Aliso, I found out that “Lili” could be a version of it. It would probably be most common in Italy, but the name could be used alternatively with Lili. (There are many versions, and it might be another name that is derived from a Hebrew origin and then, not related to Lily, but still something to consider.) i noticed that while Ana’s “s” and “z” are soft, “l” is very obvious. I think that if we hear “l” in her speech, it is definitely there, “s”, however, could be “z” and the vowel coming after it, anything.

It's the sign of the cross made at the imposition of ashes on Ash Wednesday the day before the beginning of the 40 day Lenten season.

I’ve literally never heard of Aliso. Far more common would be Ale, short for Alejandro / Alejandra but I don’t think it’s quite the right sound.

Lili would be relatively common too, Liliana etc.

Feb 26th, 2024 article states:

"Now, the SOS Desaparecidos association is collecting documentation to appear in the case opened in a court in Madrid. Its president, Joaquín Amills, assures Infobae Spain that “the pieces of the puzzle fit together and point to a person.”

The main obstacle to the divorce agreement with her husband was the distribution of the assets.
She proposed a 50-50 and he demanded at least a 75-25."

When an agreement was not reached, Ana María took the step of starting divorce proceedings and in December she moved to Spain.

The concern of the family of the missing woman has multiplied when they learned that David Knezevich, who is supposedly in his country of origin, has sold “a large percentage, well over half,” of the assets he shared with Ana María.

“The economic motive is everywhere and his attitude leaves much to be desired,” says the president of SOS Desaparecidos.

Relatives denounce that it is “flatly false” that David has collaborated with the family in the search for Ana.

Ana María's “working class” family asked him if he could help if they needed, for example, hiring private detectives. David “refused.”

Translated from Source:

Last edited:

"Now, the SOS Desaparecidos association is collecting documentation to appear in the case opened in a court in Madrid. Its president, Joaquín Amills, assures Infobae Spain that “the pieces of the puzzle fit together and point to a person.”

The main obstacle to the divorce agreement with her husband was the distribution of the assets.

When an agreement was not reached, Ana María took the step of starting divorce proceedings and in December she moved to Spain.

The concern of the family of the missing woman has multiplied when they learned that David Knezevich, who is supposedly in his country of origin, has sold “a large percentage, well over half,” of the assets he shared with Ana María.

“The economic motive is everywhere and his attitude leaves much to be desired,” says the president of SOS Desaparecidos.

Relatives denounce that it is “flatly false” that David has collaborated with the family in the search for Ana.

Ana María's “working class” family asked him if he could help if they needed, for example, hiring private detectives. David “refused.”

Translated from Source:
If this is true, where does that leave the claim by Padowitz — that they were so amicable they didn’t even need separate divorce lawyers? Let alone the suggestion that assets were already sold from under Ana’s nose…

Now, the SOS Desaparecidos association is collecting documentation to appear in the case opened in a court in Madrid.
<snipped for focus>

Do we know who opened the case in court in Madrid? Was it the president of the SOS missing persons association? I ask because I read online that in Spain, anyone can open an investigation in court, it is not necessarily done by a prosecutor like in the U.S.

I do understand that the Spanish authorities are investigating the disappearance of Ana, but it isn't clear to me that the Spanish authorities have opened a case in the court system, or if a case has been opened by another person or entity. Please see below for a statement on how that is possible within the Spanish criminal justice system.

SPANISH CRIMINAL CASES​

Unlike U.S. law, where criminal charges are brought only by a government prosecutor, Spanish law allows ordinary citizens to pursue criminal actions by filing criminal complaints. If a victim files a complaint directly with an instructing (or investigative) judge, the victim becomes a party in the case during the investigation and trial phases. This is known as a private prosecution or acusación particular. Spanish law also allows people not directly connected to the crime to take part in the case. Important public interest groups often join these complaints as popular prosecutors or acusadores populares.

Translated from Source:

By law, what with them having been married for 12+ years, it ought to have been 50/50. No kids, and it could have been an easy divorce, even without lawyers involved, if they agreed to split their assets. And no need to spend the money on lawyers.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieV
Back