Spain Spain - Ana Knezevich, 40, from Florida, going through divorce, missing under suspicious circumstances on trip to Madrid, 5 Feb 2024 *Arrest*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I would also add that this article asserts: “the family of the missing woman qualify the idea that the husband has never been to Spain before as an insult to intelligence.”
Didn’t they post before that Ana settled in Spain because she fell in love with it during her and David’s prior trip to Europe?

By law, what with them having been married for 12+ years, it ought to have been 50/50. No kids, and it could have been an easy divorce, even without lawyers involved, if they agreed to split their assets. And no need to spend the money on lawyers.

Some states have "community property" laws for divorce and have a 50/50 division of assets and debts. Other states have "equitable distribution" laws for divorce which do not necessarily result in a 50/50 division.

Florida is not a community property state but follows the law of equitable distribution.

Home - Elder Law, P.A

I can't decipher anything in that audio and I turned the sound all the way up.

Some states have "community property" laws for divorce and have a 50/50 division of assets and debts. Other states have "equitable distribution" laws for divorce which do not necessarily result in a 50/50 division.

Florida is not a community property state but follows the law of equitable distribution.

Home - Elder Law, P.A

Given how young David was when they got married, and how long they stayed in marriage, it would seem that they accumulated most of their wealth together, unless David god a huge inheritance. I think question of the “seed capital” might be valid, though.

I’ve literally never heard of Aliso. Far more common would be Ale, short for Alejandro / Alejandra but I don’t think it’s quite the right sound.

Lili would be relatively common too, Liliana etc.

What I heard was closest to either “Eliza” or “Liza”, or even Alyssa, and that was when Ana spoke about a trip to the mountains, this is why I paid attention. But then I thought, a man could have a similar name. Of Eliseo, Elisso and Elissar I heard, then there is also Elizo and all these names are the same as Ellis. (Out of fun, I googled Aliso, and it exists, but has a Latin origin, so, different). But I bet her friends know who the people she mentioned are.
The message is interesting because Ana comes across as a woman aware that she is single and living in a new city. She is informing people about her plans. Small wonder Sanna got concerned. It wouldn’t seem typical for Ana to just go somewhere with an unknown person without leaving information to her friends. So whoever imitated her, must have been aware of her habit to forewarn friends of her plans, and mimicked it, but poorly.

<snipped for focus>

Do we know who opened the case in court in Madrid? Was it the president of the SOS missing persons association? I ask because I read online that in Spain, anyone can open an investigation in court, it is not necessarily done by a prosecutor like in the U.S.

I do understand that the Spanish authorities are investigating the disappearance of Ana, but it isn't clear to me that the Spanish authorities have opened a case in the court system, or if a case has been opened by another person or entity. Please see below for a statement on how that is possible within the Spanish criminal justice system.

SPANISH CRIMINAL CASES​

Unlike U.S. law, where criminal charges are brought only by a government prosecutor, Spanish law allows ordinary citizens to pursue criminal actions by filing criminal complaints. If a victim files a complaint directly with an instructing (or investigative) judge, the victim becomes a party in the case during the investigation and trial phases. This is known as a private prosecution or acusación particular. Spanish law also allows people not directly connected to the crime to take part in the case. Important public interest groups often join these complaints as popular prosecutors or acusadores populares.

I’m fairly sure anyone can ‘denounce’ here in Spain, citizens or not. I even think it’s possible to do this from abroad meaning it could even be the family who have lodged it with the court. My father is a lawyer here, I’ll ask him and report back

What I heard was closest to either “Eliza” or “Liza”, or even Alyssa, and that was when Ana spoke about a trip to the mountains, this is why I paid attention. But then I thought, a man could have a similar name. Of Eliseo, Elisso and Elissar I heard, then there is also Elizo and all these names are the same as Ellis. (Out of fun, I googled Aliso, and it exists, but has a Latin origin, so, different). But I bet her friends know who the people she mentioned are.
The message is interesting because Ana comes across as a woman aware that she is single and living in a new city. She is informing people about her plans. Small wonder Sanna got concerned. It wouldn’t seem typical for Ana to just go somewhere with an unknown person without leaving information to her friends. So whoever imitated her, must have been aware of her habit to forewarn friends of her plans, and mimicked it, but poorly.
She also mentions the mountains, the Sierra, the then says a trip — but specifically “around the city”. None of this feels hugely compatible with a two-hour journey to a place with no name.

I too would bet the police know the name she’s mentioning and will have already spoken to that person.

I’m fairly sure anyone can ‘denounce’ here in Spain, citizens or not. I even think it’s possible to do this from abroad meaning it could even be the family who have lodged it with the court. My father is a lawyer here, I’ll ask him and report back

I would not be surprised if it ends up being Sanna. Ana has good friends, a testament to her own human qualities, I am sure.

She also mentions the mountains, the Sierra, the then says a trip — but specifically “around the city”. None of this feels hugely compatible with a two-hour journey to a place with no name.

I too would bet the police know the name she’s mentioning and will have already spoken to that person.

I looked up the Sierra on the map. Isn't it far from Madrid, @FacelessPodcast? I would expect Ana to provide a detailed information of her trip in this case. Like she did about Barcelona, that it would be for one day only, and that her friend was looking forward to it. Having listened to the two of her messages - to me, they sound a little bit like diaries. Perhaps she found it therapeutic, to leave auditory testimony of her life in Madrid?
Which brings up another point. Therapists often recommend people to keep diaries and journals, to unload the burden of their thoughts. I would expect Ana, who was depressed and in therapy, to keep something of sorts. Either on paper, or maybe she preferred dictation. But Ana comes across as a methodical person; many therapists would recommend journaling, and i think she'd enjoy it. Perhaps her therapists in Madrid, and in Florida would know if she was keeping a diary/a journal, and if so, then in what form, written or audio? I think it could be informative.

I looked up the Sierra on the map. Isn't it far from Madrid, @FacelessPodcast? I would expect Ana to provide a detailed information of her trip in this case. Like she did about Barcelona, that it would be for one day only, and that her friend was looking forward to it. Having listened to the two of her messages - to me, they sound a little bit like diaries. Perhaps she found it therapeutic, to leave auditory testimony of her life in Madrid?
Which brings up another point. Therapists often recommend people to keep diaries and journals, to unload the burden of their thoughts. I would expect Ana, who was depressed and in therapy, to keep something of sorts. Either on paper, or maybe she preferred dictation. But Ana comes across as a methodical person; many therapists would recommend journaling, and i think she'd enjoy it. Perhaps her therapists in Madrid, and in Florida would know if she was keeping a diary/a journal, and if so, then in what form, written or audio? I think it could be informative.
It depends whether you go by car or train. But let’s say anywhere between 45 minutes on the former and 1h 15 on the latter. You would just go on a local train, likely for the day to hike. This is why Ana conflates the Sierra with “around Madrid” — because you could easily go in the morning and come back in the evening. Of course there are people who live in that region or stay there for a few days. Particularly for the skiing. But the idea that she would say 2 hours and no signal doesn’t fit. To say nothing of her 3 week disappearance.

As for her voice notes, they sound completely normal to me. They’re particularly common here in Spain, you see everyone doing them. I would say, though it’s obviously subjective, that you can hear excitement or positivity in her voice. It lines up with the “good recent situation” that has been talked about. JMO

Feb 28, 2024

“I leave it to the authorities to investigate why he lies.” Sanna Rameau assures Informativos Telecinco that Ana's still husband, David, does not tell the truth about where he was when his trail was lost.

Ana's circle went from making statements openly to stating that, for their safety, they now prefer to remain silent.
The same as some of the North American's friends, who only speak anonymously: why are they afraid? Whom? What element is missing from public opinion?

Ana told a friend that she had money to retire early, but she was planning to start her own business in Madrid.

One fact that has drawn attention is that one of the couple's properties, with five bedrooms and a swimming pool, was sold on January 26 for around 950,000 euros. These days you can still see Ana's Mercedes convertible next to a Nissan and several motorcycles. Was David in Florida when that house was sold or in Serbia? Was Ana aware of the sale of this property?

Foreclosures and death threats from two men to David in 2018, The Daily Mail, reports that the couple had been involved in a series of recent lawsuits, including a bank taking them to court last year for allegedly defaulting on a mortgage of around €399,000. David was sued again last October for falling behind on a second mortgage of around €435,000, but both cases were dismissed.

Ana's husband managed to file a restraining order in 2018 against two men alleging that they harassed him and threatened to kill him.

Snipped + Translated from:

Last edited:
Ana's husband managed to file a restraining order in 2018 against two men alleging that they harassed him and threatened to kill him.

SBM. Didn't one of the previous articles claim that the men were builders? Perhaps they were working on his and Ana's properties and didn't get paid. He didn't follow through because he failed to appear in court. IMO those people would not have had a motive to harm Ana.

SBM. Didn't one of the previous articles claim that the men were builders? Perhaps they were working on his and Ana's properties and didn't get paid. He didn't follow through because he failed to appear in court. IMO those people would not have had a motive to harm Ana.
I'm not too sure. I don't think anyone is suggesting that they would harm Ana in my opinion. However, in my opinion, it shows the type of people David may have had in his circle.

Feb 28, 2024

“I leave it to the authorities to investigate why he lies.” Sanna Rameau assures Informativos Telecinco that Ana's still husband, David, does not tell the truth about where he was when his trail was lost.

Ana's circle went from making statements openly to stating that, for their safety, they now prefer to remain silent.
The same as some of the North American's friends, who only speak anonymously: why are they afraid? Whom? What element is missing from public opinion?

Ana told a friend that she had money to retire early, but she was planning to start her own business in Madrid.

One fact that has drawn attention is that one of the couple's properties, with five bedrooms and a swimming pool, was sold on January 26 for around 950,000 euros. These days you can still see Ana's Mercedes convertible next to a Nissan and several motorcycles. Was David in Florida when that house was sold or in Serbia? Was Ana aware of the sale of this property?

Foreclosures and death threats from two men to David in 2018, The Daily Mail, reports that the couple had been involved in a series of recent lawsuits, including a bank taking them to court last year for allegedly defaulting on a mortgage of around €399,000. David was sued again last October for falling behind on a second mortgage of around €435,000, but both cases were dismissed.

This channel is a national broadcaster and has also openly spoken about the man in question as the main suspect. There are fairly strict defamation laws in Spain (although it's called calumnia, calumny). It would be instructive -- whether or not the man in question will take legal action against them, or the various other outlets, that made these points.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gisberthanekroot
Back