Found Deceased Spain - Esther Dingley, from UK, missing in the Pyrenees, November 2020 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
She favoured yoga, warmth etc...

I think that’s quite important to note.. even though we hear a lot about how Esther likes to push herself ... she also likes her home comforts.. which might easily influence decision making. Do we know on what night she was last in her van as opposed to sleeping out?

Yes, on the 19th Nov she went back to van, however this was because the other option was to hang about the cabane from 2pm, rain was forecast the next day and she only had enough food for 1 more night. So having a opportunity of a lift back to the van seemed like the better option, despite her reluctance to cut the trip short.

She favoured yoga, warmth etc...

I think that’s quite important to note.. even though we hear a lot about how Esther likes to push herself ... she also likes her home comforts.. which might easily influence decision making. Do we know on what night she was last in her van as opposed to sleeping out?

My recollection was that the van wasn't that nearby as an option to get back to in reasonable time that night. but I can't find the details. Can anyone advise?

Yes, on the 19th Nov she went back to van, however this was because the other option was to hang about the cabane from 2pm, rain was forecast the next day and she only had enough food for 1 more night. So having a opportunity of a lift back to the van seemed like the better option, despite her reluctance to cut the trip short.
Well that shows that she does think about food provision and having sufficient for her hikes. So although she does on occasion asks for food it doesn’t necessarily reflect she relies on others.. it may be just a way of engaging with others.

Well that shows that she does think about food provision and having sufficient for her hikes. So although she does on occasion asks for food it doesn’t necessarily reflect she relies on others.. it may be just a way of engaging with others.

I've noticed that some long term travellers that I have met have a special charisma about them. The back story can be a way of engaging with strangers, which can then lead onto offers of assistance etc. I think that ED's direct approach is not typical. Also we often hike in late spring when we meet anyone the easiest introduction is 'where have you been and what are the conditions like'. A little surprised that the skier hadn't asked ED what her plans were, but then again he is quite young.

My recollection was that the van wasn't that nearby as an option to get back to in reasonable time that night. but I can't find the details. Can anyone advise?
The route back to the road is 900m down, so that would take about 2 hours from the Pic. However the van is 15km away in Benasque.
There is a small hut at the trailhead, shelter Plan d'Estan Google Maps

This is a case in Europe. Kindly consider using European time and date notation since all reports use this notation: Day, Month, Year.
You could also write 'November' instead of 11.
But for instance 11/3 is confusing. Europeans read this as 11 March.
Agree it is confusing. Thanks.

Just picking up on the phone battery comments a page or two upthread. I hiked for about two hours at -2 yesterday and my otherwise-reliable phone switched itself off about 7 times during that time, usually when I was trying to take a photo. Keeping it inside a spare glove didn't seem to help much either!

Just picking up on the phone battery comments a page or two upthread. I hiked for about two hours at -2 yesterday and my otherwise-reliable phone switched itself off about 7 times during that time, usually when I was trying to take a photo. Keeping it inside a spare glove didn't seem to help much either!

I wonder whether she had a portable charger.

Apparently those can be affected by low temperatures as well - Power Banks and cold weather - TentLife

Someone posted upthread the temperature charts for that week and I commented that the nights of 21/22 and 22/23 were the coldest there had been for a while, both going well below zero for the first time in a while. Phone problems might well have compounded the situation.

I seem to recall early in the case a reference to someone saying he had allowed her to use his charger during their encounter.

I think it was referring to earlier in the trip, not the last few days before she disappeared, but it may indicate she didn't carry a charger or at least not always.

Sorry I can't find the reference.

MOO

I seem to recall early in the case a reference to someone saying he had allowed her to use his charger during their encounter. I think it was referring to earlier in the trip, not the last few days before she disappeared, but it may indicate she didn't carry a charger or at least not always. Sorry I can't find the reference. MOO
Auntie Cipation, it was likely this you are remembering:

"Mountain refuge manager Chema Grau, 60, said Esther paid £15.50 to stay at his 7,000ft Angel Orus Refuge on November 17 after her plans to camp were thwarted by snow. He said she had watched the sunset and risen early next day to watch the sunrise, before leaving at 10pm [am]. Mr Grau said: “She seemed in very good spirits and very happy and was quite obviously relaxed and enjoying the mountains. At one point I lent her a charger – she spent a long time on her mobile. There was nothing untoward about her behaviour. It’s very, very strange what’s happened.”

BBM

Family of Brit hiker missing in Pyrenees fear she may have been kidnapped

Last edited:
Auntie Cipation, it was likely this you are remembering:

"Mountain refuge manager Chema Grau, 60, said Esther paid £15.50 to stay at his 7,000ft Angel Orus Refuge on November 17 after her plans to camp were thwarted by snow. He said she had watched the sunset and risen early next day to watch the sunrise, before leaving at 10pm [am]. Mr Grau said: “She seemed in very good spirits and very happy and was quite obviously relaxed and enjoying the mountains. At one point I lent her a charger – she spent a long time on her mobile. There was nothing untoward about her behaviour. It’s very, very strange what’s happened.”

BBM

Family of Brit hiker missing in Pyrenees fear she may have been kidnapped
Yes! That was it, thank you for finding.

I just want to pipe up to say that this battery drainage talk is so strange to me.
I am in Canada.
I’ve had iPhones for over 12 years.
The temperature range is usually around -8 to -38 here during the winter months. It’s presently -10. I have never ever had an issue with battery power. Maybe I’ve been fortunate but this has honestly never been an issue and I’ve never given it a thought.

I just want to pipe up to say that this battery drainage talk is so strange to me.
I am in Canada.
I’ve had iPhones for over 12 years.
The temperature range is usually around -8 to -38 here during the winter months. It’s presently -10. I have never ever had an issue with battery power. Maybe I’ve been fortunate but this has honestly never been an issue and I’ve never given it a thought.

It is definitely a known thing and was also true with alkaline batteries. Mountaineering headlamps in the old days had wires to the battery pack so that it could be stored in your jacket. Lithium batteries are even more susceptible to cold. Next time it hits those temps, try using your phone outdoors for 10-15 min and you will likely experience this phenomenon!

Why Does Cold Weather Drain Your Phone Battery? | Live Science

Like I said the antarctic guys used to keep their batteries in their breast pocket near their skin under their jacket.

Makes a huge difference to keep them warm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper