Found Deceased Spain - Esther Dingley, from UK, missing in the Pyrenees, November 2020 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
To be clear the dog walker felt "FLOBBED OFF" by LE when she made the report to them FWIW of course I wasn't VICTIM BLAMING.

Snipped from the link...

...The young dog walker, called Lucia, said she first saw the light on in the van when she took her dog Tipo for a walk at about 7pm on December 2 in Benasque, Spain.

However, she became increasingly concerned when saw the figure laying down in the back when she popped out a second time at 10pm.

In an exclusive interview with MailOnline, Lucia said she was 'fobbed off' when she called the Spanish police.

DC reportedly wanted an investigation into who was seen in the camper van 10 days after ED disappeared. That could suggest he was not satisfied with the explanation it was a forensic officer. If such an investigation took place, DC's recent FB update with the hint of having information from LE, was perhaps sourced from receiving new evidence.

IMO, some snippets of information on MSM, with few details offered, tend to confuse rather than clarify, for example:

"...Officers ruled out the van sighting, claiming it was a plain clothed forensic officer – working late at night without protective clothing and driving an unmarked vehicle."
Search for Esther Dingley: Spanish police say it's 'impossible' and all but give up | Daily Mail Online

Fellow ED sleuths discussed this upthread, and, IIRC, one suggested the forensic officer may have been looking for evidence from that position. The photograph is blurry, but when enlarged, it appears to me the person is lying on his/her side, with the bed covers pulled up under the chin.

Others might see something different?

From the UNODC – United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime:

Crime scene and physical evidence awareness for non-forensic personnel. Preservation of the scene and its evidence.

... Preservation of the scene and its evidence aims at implementing appropriate protective and anti-contamination measures to keep disturbances of the scene and the physical evidence to a minimum.Scene preservation starts as soon as possible after the incident is discovered and reported to the appropriate authorities. Concerns for scene protection end only at the point where the scene investigation process is completed and the scene is released. Delineation of the area to be protected is a complex activity and the boundaries of the scene may change as the investigation unfolds. What appears to be obvious at the outset may change and need to be re-evaluated. Once delineated, the area is clearly cordoned off using any kind of physical barrier. Any non-essential people who entered the scene before the cordon was established are removed (and this information is recorded) and any non-essential people are prevented from entering the scene during the entire scene investigation...

...From the beginning to the end of the crime scene investigation, strict anti-contamination measures are important. They include: wearing protective clothing, gloves and shoe covers; using a single path when entering the scene (this is also valid for medical personnel providing care to victims); keeping away from using any facilities available at the scene (e.g. toilet, water, towel, telephone), eating, drinking or smoking; avoiding moving anything/anybody, unless it is of absolute necessity (if something or somebody is moved, the initial location should be carefully documented….)
https://www.unodc.org/documents/scientific/Crime_scene_awareness__Ebook.pdf

Surely lying on a bed at a potential crime scene would be considered a similar violation to use of the toilet, towel, etc. on the above list.

From FORENSIC SCIENCE REGULATOR:

Guidance The Control and Avoidance of Contamination In Crime Scene Examination involving DNA Evidence Recovery

“...1 Personal Protective Equipment 8.1.1Personal protection equipment (PPE)serves a double purpose: a.to protect the wearer from contact with hazardous materials; and b. to protect exhibits from contamination by the wearer. For serious crimes on entering the scene PPE shall consist of the following:

Over-suit: This shall be worn at all times, including the hood, at the scene. It shall not be modified by making holes or openings in the suit that expose skin or clothing, or be otherwise handled unnecessarily at the scene.d.Overshoes: These shall be worn at all times within the scene unless otherwise directed by theCrime Scene Manager (CSM). Exposure of skin or clothing between the scene suit and overshoes should be avoided, if necessary by taping them together. Overshoes shall be removed or changed when exiting locus or entering a separate area of interest within the same scene…"

https://assets.publishing.service.g...66/206_FSR_SOC_contamination_consultation.pdf

Would a forensic officer be in the van without protective clothing? From the photograph, I can't tell what the person is wearing, so why would it be considered necessary to mention the officer was not wearing protective clothing, other than to have us believe it was, in fact a forensic officer in the van?

This incident hangs in my mind as one of the odder events reported during dear Esther's disappearance.

DC reportedly wanted an investigation into who was seen in the camper van 10 days after ED disappeared. That could suggest he was not satisfied with the explanation it was a forensic officer. If such an investigation took place, DC's recent FB update with the hint of having information from LE, was perhaps sourced from receiving new evidence.
Snipped BM
That incident seems to be highly relevant but seems to have got lost in the amount of other detail. It is impossible to believe the person in the van was a person in authority of any description. The fact that DC felt it needed further investigation also suggests it wasn't him. A possibility that was also raised here. Do you think that the French woman who reported it was fobbed off because the police believed the man in the van was there legitimately, but were avoiding publicity about it? The only person who could have OKd him being there would surely be ED. It's very curious.

Last edited:
Or did the police not want that individual to know that he’d been seen? Perhaps there had been a previous report or they had been watching the van for activity.

Esther was reported missing non Nov 25. Search in mountains started on 26th. This would have been 6 days after that. Wouldn’t Esther have locked the van before leaving. Did police leave it unlocked and unsecured after they searched? Surely they had searched it by Dec 2?

The van was moved by the police at some point but I think the person was seen beforehand. The police would also have known by then that the van was also owned by EDs partner and wasn't literally abandoned. I guess DC was given an explanation that satisfied him as he doesn't raise the issue in his dossier, unless it's too sensitive for the public to know.

The van was moved by the police at some point but I think the person was seen beforehand. The police would also have known by then that the van was also owned by EDs partner and wasn't literally abandoned. I guess DC was given an explanation that satisfied him as he doesn't raise the issue in his dossier, unless it's too sensitive for the public to know.

It could be one of the other pieces of information he alludes to...that has convinced him of third party involvement.

DM article above: ‘Mr Colegate, 38, had stayed at the £1000-a-week holiday let while long-term partner Esther embarked on a solo hike trip in the Pyrenees mountains last month.’

Wadam college interview..

Dan: On the plus side, the French restrictions allow us to go jogging at least and we also have a friend who is letting us stay at his house in the Gers Department. In return for paying the bills we are at least not restricted to a motorhome for the time being.

Expensive....

Last edited:
Well, I wasn't going to post today after the DC FB update, out of respect for his anguish. But you guys got me going!

Having owned a small RV before, I get the general floor plan, etc. and what a pain they are to maintain! What strikes me as odd in the picture of the person in the back of ED / DC's van is his/her head appears to be in the middle of the bed at a very awkward angle - like they were sitting up on the right side of the bed and fell over asleep.

1. Here is DC / ED blog about their new van they bought 8/2017. It is a 2011 Fiat Chausson Welcome 64 model.
Back On The Road.....In A New Motorhome! | Esther & Dan - Adventuring Together - Life, Love, Health & Travel

2. You can see some pics of the layout of their new small motorhome from their blog, but this brief marketing video might provide a better visual of the bed in the back.

3. The bed in this model runs the length of the back wall, above a large storage area. The person's head in that 2/12/2020 picture appears in the middle of the bed.
Search for Esther Dingley: Spanish police say it's 'impossible' and all but give up | Daily Mail Online

ED Van with Person Sleeping In it.jpg

IMO this occurrence is very important to this case, and all your thoughts above seem very reasonable. So this post may not help at all - its just an observation I had.

Whilst it's clear that ED does experience emotional/psychological struggles to some extent she is also very health and body conscious with her diet, yoga and general fitness.

I think Esther's fitness needs to be studied in proportion to the challenges she was facing.

Esther was fit by standards of the general population of office workers, retail workers and customer service employees. Esther could also out perform people engaged in light to mderate excersize etc.

But.... Esther was facing challenges that exceeded the norm of the general population.

She was not only quite possibly under nourished, and running a sleep deficit, but was also under dressed and under equipped for the weather and engaging in a repeated series of strenuous hikes. Then factor in that Esther was facing these challenges alone- which is psychologically debilitating

In short and to paraphrase another member with extensive out door experience: It is quite possible that Esther was operating at the very edge of her fitness and experience level.

When one gets close to the edge- and espescially when one is alone and close to the edge, even small problems can deteriorate into life threatening problems.

Last edited:
I just can’t see the person. I’ll keep trying.
I see what Redhaus means about the head in the middle .. but I don’t think that is the head! It seems too small to be a person’s head and yes it would be way too awkward to have the head in that position. From the photo shown in the post I don’t think the head is visible in that image?

I see what Redhaus means about the head in the middle .. but I don’t think that is the head! It seems too small to be a person’s head and yes it would be way too awkward to have the head in that position. From the photo shown in the post I don’t think the head is visible in that image?

Oh I see it now...in the lit part in the back. Blanket pulled up...looks tucked in for the night. Could it be a woman? Could they think it’s Esther?

I'm sure I read that DC had bought himself a small van, but can't find it now. In any case I wonder why the van ED was using hasn't been returned to him after all this time. He certainly hints that the police have additional information that can't be revealed, and seems convinced that a 3rd party is involved somehow.

Oh I see it now...in the lit part in the back. Blanket pulled up...looks tucked in for the night. Could it be a woman? Could they think it’s Esther?
The photograph is blurry, but when enlarged, it appears to me the person is lying on his/her side, with the bed covers pulled up under the chin.
snipped for focus

Yes, it was actually @Puzzles up thread a bit who got me trying to see what she was seeing. So maybe we are all seeing the same thing or seeing nothing at all. I wonder if anyone here has more sophisticated photo viewing technology?....

When I first heard about that story, I actually thought maybe it was Esther... if she had been in some sort of fugue state.

Alas, I am not sure we are actually seeing a person there... but I did try to see a head. If it is a head, it is weirdly placed.

Well, I wasn't going to post today after the DC FB update, out of respect for his anguish. But you guys got me going!
I was exactly the same! And then I saw this post on the campervan and it is one of the things that has really bugged me!
3. The bed in this model runs the length of the back wall, above a large storage area. The person's head in that 2/12/2020 picture appears in the middle of the bed.

I was also looking at that. But check out the third pic down on here Our Motorhome | Esther & Dan - Adventuring Together - Life, Love, Health & Travel and look at the cushion/pillow arrangement. I'm not sure if it is a person's head or if it's possibly a red cushion to the left of what seems (very vaguely) like a head ,or if the cushion is just making it look like a head?

I wonder how close the witness actually got to the van. In the description she mentioned light brown hair so seems quite specific. Also must have been a bit scary for her TBH, so I'm wondering if she crept up close and took a peek, then retreated and got a less convincing picture from further away before leaving.

If it did prove to be the case that there actually was a person sleeping in or on the bed then it should be regarded as a person of significant interest regardless of what LE have said about this - IMO.

I wouldn't say this raises a red flag for me but it's certainly an amber.

Last edited:
I was exactly the same! And then I saw this post on the campervan and it is one of the things that has really bugged me!

I was also looking at that. But check out the third pic down on here Our Motorhome | Esther & Dan - Adventuring Together - Life, Love, Health & Travel and look at the cushion/pillow arrangement. I'm not sure, is a person's head I think it's possibly a red cushion to the left of what seems (very vaguely) like a head or the cushion is just making it look like a head?

I wonder how close the witness actually got to the van. In the description she mentioned light brown hair so seems quite specific. Also must have been a bit scary for her TBH, so I'm wondering if she crept up close and took a peek, then retreated and got a less convincing picture from further away before leaving.

If it did prove to be the case that there actually was a person sleeping in or on the bed then it should be regarded as a person of significant interest regardless of what LE have said about this - IMO.

I wouldn't say this raises a red flag for me but it's certainly an amber.
Well, as it turns out, the motorhome in that blog is not their current one... a different model! I believe they've had three. But your points are well taken of course. I do wonder how much the witness saw up close. Ahh.. to know the facts!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back