Found Deceased Spain - Julen Rosello, 2, fell into narrow and deep borehole, Totalán, 13 Jan 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Update 16 minutes ago:

"After the completion of the well parallel to which Julen is trapped, which will be about 80 centimeters in diameter and will be tubed and protected so that it does not sink or leak water, the miners will descend by a lathe with a hammer of compressed air and a hacho cut the wood and be able to post , that is, create the frame with poles to withstand the pressure of the earth."

Última hora | La búsqueda de Julen, el niño del pozo de Totalán en Málaga

He has said that they are considering the hypothesis that the ground plug that is 71 meters deep from the well was not caused by the fall of Julen. :confused:

If the blockage wasn't caused by his fall, where is he? Are they saying the blockage occurred after his fall during rescue efforts? I'm so confused.

If it is different soil I think it's possible someone partially filled in the hole after the child went in.

He has said that they are considering the hypothesis that the ground plug that is 71 meters deep from the well was not caused by the fall of Julen. :confused:

The rescue teams continue for the fourth day the tasks at the bottom of the well , in the town of Totalán (Málaga), without being able to determine the state in which Julen can be found, 2 years old and eleven kilos in weight.

La Guardia Civil toma declaración al pocero y a la familia de Julen

If the blockage wasn't caused by his fall, where is he? Are they saying the blockage occurred after his fall during rescue efforts? I'm so confused.

NYT quote:
He is believed to be more than 250 feet underground, beneath earth dislodged by his fall.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2019/01/16/world/europe/spain-julen-rosello.amp.html

I know that's what they've been saying the whole time! That it fell behind him as he fell which actually makes complete sense.

I simply do not believe that anyone dumped dirt in after he fell. Not in this case. Not with this boy. Not with these grieving parents who already lost one gorgeous little boy. Just don't believe it. I think we are losing a lot in translation here.

If it is different soil I think it's possible someone partially filled in the hole after the child went in.

Dear Ironside,

Do you mean that someone accidentally pushed the "ground plug" and caused it to happen - while yelling down to Julen or it loosened by the first officials at the scene?

Depending on how "loose" this ground plug was - I suppose anything could unjar it. I really don't know, of course.

I am more of the thought that it occurred "naturally", being loosened by the weight of Julen. Of course, I could be wrong but it seems plausible.

Last edited:
I know that's what they've been saying the whole time! That it fell behind him as he fell which actually makes complete sense.

I simply do not believe that anyone dumped dirt in after he fell. Not in this case. Not with this boy. Not with these grieving parents who already lost one gorgeous little boy. Just don't believe it. I think we are losing a lot in translation here.

Dear Ms.Facetious,

Yes, I agree with you and Elainera. The meaning behind some of the wording is distorted at times, as you say, lost in translation.

This is how I see it happening, as well.

Perhaps this "ground plug" loosened with Julen's weight, falling down with him, but somehow the candies and cup did not go down with the earth because they were "lighter" than Julen?

To me, it seems like it could have occurred this way.

Last edited:

The rescue tasks will suffer a delay of two or three days because of the surprises that the terrain presents, but this could be prolonged even more by the rain. It is the enemy that stalks Julen's rescue in the distance. The engineers who are carrying out the technical plans to make the tunnels that carry the child in the Dolmen of Cerro de la Corona de Totalán recognize that the presence of rainfall would not be good news. And it is that the Aemet gives water in the place where the works are being done. The worst forecasts are that it could start raining on Friday, when between 12.00 and 18.00 there is a 10 percent chance. This increases on Saturday between 00.00 and 12.00, when it rises to 55 percent.

According to Ángel García Vidal, representative of the Association of Engineers of Roads and Mines of Malaga, the precipitations that are predicted for this weekend would influence in the works of earthworks, that would have to be finished for when the forecast is worse. The estimate made so far is that the perforations begin before the first drops, but the delays due to the configuration of the soil can paralyze everything.

Julen, el niño que cayó a un pozo, el rescate en directo

The rescue tasks will suffer a delay of two or three days because of the surprises that the terrain presents, but this could be prolonged even more by the rain. It is the enemy that stalks Julen's rescue in the distance. The engineers who are carrying out the technical plans to make the tunnels that carry the child in the Dolmen of Cerro de la Corona de Totalán recognize that the presence of rainfall would not be good news. And it is that the Aemet gives water in the place where the works are being done. The worst forecasts are that it could start raining on Friday, when between 12.00 and 18.00 there is a 10 percent chance. This increases on Saturday between 00.00 and 12.00, when it rises to 55 percent.

According to Ángel García Vidal, representative of the Association of Engineers of Roads and Mines of Malaga, the precipitations that are predicted for this weekend would influence in the works of earthworks, that would have to be finished for when the forecast is worse. The estimate made so far is that the perforations begin before the first drops, but the delays due to the configuration of the soil can paralyze everything.

Julen, el niño que cayó a un pozo, el rescate en directo

This is terrible news. Two or Three day delay.... I'm heartbroken for everyone involved.

Some of the translations of these tweets have got to be wrong... wow. :eek:

Video going down to the plug in the borehole:
If you aren't claustrophobic you probably will be after this.
The blockage looks like the same soil as the sides to me.

Gianna on Twitter

Video is also in this article:

España, en vilo por Julen

It could start raining around Noon on Friday. That's 4 hours from now. If it holds off until midnight Saturday that buys them another 12 hours.

We don't know how close they are, I believe 22 hours ago they were 30 meters down, but we don't know how long it took to reach that. They were then going to add the 80 meters of tube. They were saying it would be like 4pm Friday before they reached the depth he's believed to be at. Then they have to dig 4 meters horizontally.

maria ibañez (@maria_ibanez) | Twitter

We have no idea how much progress has been made... other pages say they don't expect to even hit 30 meters until Saturday morning, then will begin the parallel tunnels Saturday afternoon. So if that's true I have no real hope. :(

Última hora de Julen, el niño que cayó al pozo en Málaga, en directo

We just know they hoped to reach him Friday at one point. Hopefully they are able to do that because I'm fairly certain it's the last hope. If they don't get to him before the rains hit....

Last edited:
I cannot get over how quickly they are working in the live video. I'm afraid one heavy machine is going to knock another one off. At one point one was just pushing dirt off the side rather than scooping into a dump truck. They are really moving.

En directo vídeo streaming: El rescate de Julen en el pozo de Málaga

NEW PLAN as of now

08:30

The possibility of doing two tunnels was contemplated, but García Vidal pointed out that "it is most likely that we start with one" because doing the second one would mean expanding the platform and "we prefer to do the drilling". However, another tunnel boring machine will be brought in the next hours.

09:01

According to Diario Sur, from Malaga, the road map of the rescue teams had to be modified last night: now the absolute priority is to make a vertical well, parallel to the 25 centimeters in diameter where the child is. This vertical tunnel would not be ready in less than two or three days.

Última hora sobre la búsqueda de Julen, en el pozo de Málaga, en directo

The search works after more than 100 hours without Julen. Given the possibility of rain in the coming days, ditches will be built for a possible drainage of the fallen water.

Málaga Magazine on Twitter

Last edited:
Dear Ironside,

Do you mean that someone accidentally pushed the "ground plug" and caused it to happen - while yelling down to Julen or it loosened by the first officials at the scene?

Depending on how "loose" this ground plug was - I suppose anything could unjar it. I really don't know, of course.

I am more of the thought that it occurred "naturally", being loosened by the weight of Julen. Of course, I could be wrong but it seems plausible.

No that's not what I mean. If the soil is different to the soil in the well it can't be that it was distrurbed by him on his way down and ended up on top of him. I don't believe rescuers would have been responsible for a load of soil ending up in the well.

I think it should be considered that someone added soil after the poor boy ended up in the well - before any rescuers got there. I can't see how else different soil could got there.

10:11 "Five days after Julen fell at the bottom of a well in the town of Totalán in Malaga, rescue teams are continuing work this morning to finish the platform from which to undertake the drilling of a vertical tunnel that allows access to the small."

10:16 "In the area, day and night, the movement of people and vehicles for the movement of the earth continues without rest, and this morning new heavy machinery has been added to the tasks of the Totalán well."

Rescate del niño Julen en el pozo de Málaga, en directo streaming

The work continues this morning, five days into this accident. It's hard to hold onto hope, but I am not giving up. Hang in there folks!

10:47 "The rescue of Julen, the child who has been stuck in a well since Sunday on Totalán, is getting complicated due to the instability of the land."

Rescate del niño Julen en el pozo de Málaga:Última hora en directo streaming

This news is a bit disconcerting. But I think it explains why soil collapsed in the borehole-- the terrain likely has a mix of soil types at differing layers, some more porous or brittle than say, a harder-packed surface level.

Anyway, the work continues and I hope this announcement won't inhibit the planned new tunnel they expect to start in a few hours.

Yeah... I'm confused as well.

Not sure when the drilling started, but I think it was Wednesday? I could be wrong. I'm often old & confused. ;)

As for the tunnels. they are doing-- from what I can piece together-- they have almost completed one vertical shaft. They'd planned to do a horizontal one, but there are issues with the terrain stability. (IIRC). I think once they get this first tunnel finished, they will go in and re-evaluate. If they are at a level where they can figure out just what the terrain is like down there-- does it open into a cavity as was suggested? Can they hear any movement or other sounds from Julen? Can they use that georadar down there to sort of scan the area, now that they are closer to the bottom of the borehole?

Just spitballin' ideas here.

Anyway, I suspect that things are going to heat up in the next few hours. What I fear most is that it will be determined to be a recovery effort rather than a rescue. Trying not to think that way.

Last edited:
Actually, I am probably very wrong:

11:04 "Five days after Julen fell at the bottom of a well in the town of Totalán in Malaga, rescue teams are continuing work this morning to finish the platform from which to undertake the drilling of a vertical tunnel that allows access to the small."

Rescate del niño en el pozo de Málaga: Última hora de Julen, en directo

I think I've completely misunderstood what has been going on. The update says that they are finishing a drilling platform, I assume that will be an area near the borehole that is stable enough to then allow for a vertical shaft to be drilled.

This is confusing. Also, that'll teach me that I ought to have chosen Spanish as my second language.

Okay, this latest bit explains it all a bit better:

11:51 "Also, once the platform is finished and the tunnel boring machine is positioned, it has said that they will see "the way to reconcile these perforations with the suction work to carry the two jobs in parallel" in the well. In addition, he pointed out that they are still studying a reliable work method to be able to continue with the horizontal gallery, which has had to stop because of problems in the field."

Niño en el pozo de Málaga: El rescate de Julen, en directo

So. It's the drilling platform they are nearly done with, and then they will bore one or perhaps two vertical shafts. If they can find a way to do it safely, they will drift a tunnel to just below where they estimate Julen to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenisaHerdzik