***SPOILER ALERT*** Imperfect Justice by Jeff Ashton - CONTENT DISCUSSION

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Or who was really responsible for J. Perry getting the case given to him. Or who allowed such a flawed jury selection. Etc..........

He tells that when Strickland was removed it went to Perry to appoint someone to hear the case and he appointed himself.

I finally read JA's book. I did not know George tried to blame LE for planting the duct tape on the gas can. JA had to enlighten him with the truth. JA told him the picture was taken long before Caylee was found...no one knew at that time there was any significance to the tape. When GA reached the end of the hall with his lie he just looked at the table. GA knew exactly how significant that tape was to the crime and he did what every Anthony does, lie. I wish JA would have pulled out a picture of Caylee's autopsy and asked GA if that would help him tell the truth.

LE worked so hard to find Caylee and GA had the nerve to accuse them of planting the tape...unbelievable.

IMO

I finally read JA's book. I did not know George tried to blame LE for planting the duct tape on the gas can. JA had to enlighten him with the truth. JA told him the picture was taken long before Caylee was found...no one knew at that time there was any significance to the tape. When GA reached the end of the hall with his lie he just looked at the table. GA knew exactly how significant that tape was to the crime and he did what every Anthony does, lie. I wish JA would have pulled out a picture of Caylee's autopsy and asked GA if that would help him tell the truth.

LE worked so hard to find Caylee and GA had the nerve to accuse them of planting the tape...unbelievable.

IMO

I haven't read that part yet, but it doesn't surprise me. Maybe if GA knew she was going to walk free he would have thought twice about it.

I finished reading the book. While not bad, I did note a number of factual errors - things that did not jive with the discovery. There were also a number of omissions or oversights. For example, he said that KC claimed she slept in to 9:00 AM or so on the 16th, and woke to the sounds of George railing on her about Caylee's supposed drowning. Why not point out that the computer forensics showed KC chatting away on AIM before 8:00 AM that morning?

Worse, he said the desktop password was changed to Timer55 on June 16, and that indicated to him KC knew she had 55 days to come up with a story before Caylee's birthday. Problem is, the password was changed in May (according to the computer forensics report), and 55 days coincided with the date KC and friends were supposed to leave for Puerto Rico. In fact, KC texted Amy about buying tickets for the trip just moments after changing the password.

While they may not be a big deal (at least to a jury), the fact that Mr. Ashton had handled details in such a sloppy manner bothered me, and detracted from the book.

IMO
...and he had to stick with his crazy gas can story at trial...which the DT used to their advantage. IMHO, his "story" was created soley to protect Casey....and it came back to bite him in the butt.

...and he had to stick with his crazy gas can story at trial...which the DT used to their advantage. IMHO, his "story" was created soley to protect Casey....and it came back to bite him in the butt.

I think he should have just told the truth. Tell them he lied because he wanted to help free FCA. Tell them he just couldn't lie for her again. People are very forgiving when a sincere apology is given.

I still think there's a chance GA acted belligerent for the sole purpose of making him look untrustworthy. I haven't jumped on the GA is a good guy willing to tell the truth for Caylee band wagon. I think JA said he wanted to slap GA on the stand.

IMO

One more thing I found interesting in the book, LDB wanted to hire a company to do professional graphics. She was turned down due to cost.

We know there was little to no note taking by the jurors. I wonder if professional graphics were shown, the two jurors who voted for 1st degree murder would have stood their ground and used the graphics to prove their point. Perhaps a hung jury would have been possible.

Some examples could have been; a chart of the top 10 reasons of FCA's guilt, pictures of everything that tied her to the crime, A list of all her lies regarding Caylee's whereabouts. etc.

IMO

One more thing I found interesting in the book, LDB wanted to hire a company to do professional graphics. She was turned down due to cost.

We know there was little to no note taking by the jurors. I wonder if professional graphics were shown, the two jurors who voted for 1st degree murder would have stood their ground and used the graphics to prove their point. Perhaps a hung jury would have been possible.

Some examples could have been; a chart of the top 10 reasons of FCA's guilt, pictures of everything that tied her to the crime, A list of all her lies regarding Caylee's whereabouts. etc.

IMO

Bolding by me....

And yet the indigent defendant was able to use pricey professional graphics in court that was paid for by whom? The state of Florida. Incredulous! This makes me so angry!:furious:

Well I finished the book yesterday. I was on a waiting list at my library. When I picked it up I was finishing another book at the moment and I kept on looking at it saying to myself do I want to do this to myself?
After finishing what I was reading I picked it up and the first thing I did was look at the pictures which just stirred it all up in my stomach again.
Many of you here, we were here everday watching that trial, I was home on a medical from work at the time so was able to see the whole thing. Except when I had doctors appoinments which I flew right back home or caught re-caps on Nancy Grace.
I wanted to read the book because I wanted basically to see what happened behind the scenes that we did not see on TV. Jeff said some but not to much, I found myself reading what I already knew and getting more and more pissed with each page.
I thank the prosecution team with all my heart for all the hard work they put into trying to convict a child murderer that walked free. I don't know how they were able to go on after losing that one bit it is what it is. Imperfect Justice or Perfect Injustice.
All I can do now is wait for Casey to get hers and I am sure she will. Maybe not now but someday.She supposedly is the most hated person in America right now and I would say that Jose Baez is the most hated lawyer even though he had no idea that she was going to walk free. Dumb bunny he is. Of course he owes it all to that intelligent jury that held court.

Well I finished the book yesterday. I was on a waiting list at my library. When I picked it up I was finishing another book at the moment and I kept on looking at it saying to myself do I want to do this to myself?
After finishing what I was reading I picked it up and the first thing I did was look at the pictures which just stirred it all up in my stomach again.
Many of you here, we were here everday watching that trial, I was home on a medical from work at the time so was able to see the whole thing. Except when I had doctors appoinments which I flew right back home or caught re-caps on Nancy Grace.
I wanted to read the book because I wanted basically to see what happened behind the scenes that we did not see on TV. Jeff said some but not to much, I found myself reading what I already knew and getting more and more pissed with each page.
I thank the prosecution team with all my heart for all the hard work they put into trying to convict a child murderer that walked free. I don't know how they were able to go on after losing that one bit it is what it is. Imperfect Justice or Perfect Injustice.
All I can do now is wait for Casey to get hers and I am sure she will. Maybe not now but someday.She supposedly is the most hated person in America right now and I would say that Jose Baez is the most hated lawyer even though he had no idea that she was going to walk free. Dumb bunny he is. Of course he owes it all to that intelligent jury that held court.

Yes. It's tough isn't it? And it hurts a lot. Still. :therethere:

IMO
I do not think any charts or graphs would have mattered. The jurors turned off their ears and their brains right after the Opening Statements were given. Once they heard the titillating version of events painted by Jose, they drank it all in. That was it, for them, end of story. From then on it was all about what movie was scheduled and what did the Dessert Lady have on the menu.

I just started reading this book, am about 1/4 of the way through. I noticed the first chapter is devoted to a sort of autobiography of JA himself, pointing out his excellent work record. Interesting that he tried the very first case introducing DNA evidence back in the 80's.
BUT... he does seem to be very intelligent and dedicated to the job. I guess one could say that I have a newer sense of respect for him as a person and a prosecutor.
I've already discovered a few things that I didn't know before regarding the case and am looking forward to learning more. It's a good book, so far.

I do not think any charts or graphs would have mattered. The jurors turned off their ears and their brains right after the Opening Statements were given. Once they heard the titillating version of events painted by Jose, they drank it all in. That was it, for them, end of story. From then on it was all about what movie was scheduled and what did the Dessert Lady have on the menu.

I completely agree! :maddening:

I completely agree! :maddening:

I used to completely agree but I'm starting to wonder because we have many many posters on the board who obviously do not agree with what was presented in court and despite the overwhelming evidence are coming up with all kinds of opinions about how this all went down. Very very confusing...:waitasec:

Not to me, but why the jury voted the way they did.

I'm really glad that Jeff has come out and said that he didn't believe the death penalty should have been reinstated.

I think that was the problem all along for the jury, they didn't believe in it and certainly not in this case.

And I have to agree, I never thought that the death penalty should have been an option, no matter if it was justly deserved.

No death penalty and no Lyons, no Finnell, no Bolin, no death penalty motions, no opportunity for Baez and Mason to take the high moral ground. It put the prosecution in a dangerous position and probably lost them the trial. Lesson learned for everyone I think.

I don't think it can be overstated in how important Bolin was in helping pick the jury.
I also think the DT used the questions that Ann F asked each of the jurors, about mitigating circumstances, to put thoughts in their minds that Casey had been abused, etc. (I don't believe it BTW) If the death penalty hadn't been on the table the DT wouldn't have had that opportunity.

I used to completely agree but I'm starting to wonder because we have many many posters on the board who obviously do not agree with what was presented in court and despite the overwhelming evidence are coming up with all kinds of opinions about how this all went down. Very very confusing...:waitasec:

Not to me, but why the jury voted the way they did.

I have to agree LG! Confusing to me as well! Here's what gets me, I heard overwelming evidence, I heard about a mother who "pawned" her child off on her parents to go to "work," when she was out with her friends because she didn't work, who had a relatively new boyfriend, who didn't feel comfortable with Caylee being around (understandably w/college kids and drinking), who shows up at his new boyfriends house one day and never really leaves, seems to have a good time, and her beautiful daughter is never seen again. I then heard experts who stated there was evidence that a dead Caylee was in the truck of the car, that smelled of decomp, and ultimately Caylee's body was found thrown away like grabage close to the monster mommy's home with duct tape that held her little jaw in place, and oh, monster mommy got a "GOOD LIFE" tattoo in the process (and, at some point prior googled chloroform that was detected in the car as well, amongst other stuff)... I head this but I believe the jury was more concerned about food and what to watch on TV, rather than do their job. and, i will always think the pros did a fantastic job! I am still heartbroken!

One thing I learned from reading the book (or somehow missed/forgotten?) was RK's tip (can't remember which one) making it to Yuri's desk, and Yuri believing the area had already been searched. JA was pretty straightforward about all things RK and I appreciated that. He mentioned all the cr@p RK had thrown at him...included the "bloggers" in the mess. I started to wonder about Amy Singer's online presence. Yes, we know that she followed the "blogs"...but was she also behind a lot of the talk? Not just planting seeds about Kronk, but also planting seeds about George. I don't think she (and her staff) sat idly by just reading...I think they may have been instigators he$$ bent on manipulating public opinion. I know this is old news, but it still sickens me.

Somewhat OT: Are we close to hearing Muzicman's story yet?

It was a long and complex case and eventual trial. Lots of details that if there weren't so many of them that were flat lies and so much effort weren't required to determine what they were and why, it may have been easier for this jury to see the fact from fiction. Unfortunately, the fiction continued right on through via the defense team using the shock factor and hypotheticals to give the Pinellas 12 a "feasible" explanation as to why this woman went on about HER life after knowing her own child's life was over. It was the only thing that made sense to them. When the jury stated, there's nothing to prove it was OCA that "murdered" her child, they mean it. That is far too difficult to process in their minds whereas, an accidental drowning is. OCA got away with the ultimate act of defiance after practicing it all her life IMO. She hasn't fooled me though for one second. That first phone call from jail told me everything I wanted to know and everything she uttered from her mouth and her actions continued to solidify my thoughts as to what happened to Caylee. You reap what you sow...........I hope I live to see the day.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EllaMichael
Back