State files motion to proceed with check fraudUPDATE CASE TO BE SCHEDULED

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DOCUMENT: Defense Fought Motion
http://www.wftv.com/pdf/20090130/detail.html

Very interesting to note that in JB's motion against the "early" check fraud case, that one of his arguments is that they will be busy with mitigating evidence in the murder case. Page 2 of motion).

That sounds to me like he has admitted she did it.

At least, "she didn't do it, but if she did, she did it because...."

I don't think Casey would go to prison for this for two reasons.

1. She is in the process of a DP case and has to be nearby for her conferences with her attorneys.

2. As a first-time offender, she has already served and will serve more time in jail than the sentence.

If she doesn't decide to take some sort of plea, I can see the defense trying to delay, delay, delay this trial for change of venue and who-knows-what else.

I am so HAPPY! This is great news.
I don't know if this has been asked before, but will Casey have to take the stand or speak in any way?
Thx

I totally agree with Star12:

Very interesting to note that in JB's motion against the "early" check fraud case, that one of his arguments is that they will be busy with mitigating evidence in the murder case. Page 2 of motion).

Several times AL has mentioned "we are trying to save KC's life" or words like it to describe her upcoming trial. This has made me think they believe KC will be found guilty and are doing everything they can to avoid the death penalty before her trial has even started.

I respectfully disagree. First of all, in addition to the check fraud charges, which only involve Amy, there is abundant evidence she has stolen before, from her grandfather's account and GA said she faked a $4400 deposit to steal from her own parents. Not to mention potentially tens of thousands of dollars in credit card fees that CA apparently had to pay. Just because her family covered up her previous crimes does not mean she did not commit them or that it does not show an escalating pattern of behavior - a lack of concern for the property of others.

I am one who believes that the ultimate theft is that of stealing someone's life - taking something away from someone else that belongs to them and is considered inviolable or sacred. While not all financial thieves are murderers; I do think that murderers are the highest level of thief; they have such little respect and disregard for others that they take away from them what is most precious; their lives. (I also think that some thieves like A.Madoff are sociopaths who perhaps prefer stealing money, but have no feeling for how it affects others' lives).

If charges had been pressed on KC's previous financial crimes, then this trial would indicate recidivism and an acceleration of criminal activities and would indeed be germaine to her general character and state of mind regarding her murder charges. She has lived her entire life with a family that either minimized or covered up her accumulated misdeeds and I think it's only fair that she should have to pay for her track record, no matter how "low level" it may seem in this instance.

C: you are so right about murder being the ultimate theft. Steven King wrote in 'The Stand' a compelling bit about theft being the root of all sin that has always stuck with me. Worth the read.

A friend's step-daughter went to prison in Oklahoma a few weeks ago for writing bad checks. No previous crimes other than a speeding ticket. So jail time does happen. And the dollar amount involved with KC kicks it into felony territory if I am not mistaken.

Very greatful for Judge Strickland's decision. I think Amy's attorney very successfully squashed the defense's argument that they are too busy preparing for the murder trial by pointing out that JB has taken on 20 new clients in the interim. Hard to ignore that point. That was not sufficient reason to continue to deny Amy justice.

I totally agree with Star12:

Several times AL has mentioned "we are trying to save KC's life" or words like it to describe her upcoming trial. This has made me think they believe KC will be found guilty and are doing everything they can to avoid the death penalty before her trial has even started.

High Drama. AL thinks folks should be shocked that AL might get the DP.

She needs to realize that her saying it just makes folks get use to the idea.

If I was on the jury and she made comments like that, that would certainly cause negative reactions. It would remind me how Bullies love to bully little folks. But whine when they are caught.

This is some of the best news I've heard in a while.

DOCUMENT: Defense Fought Motion
http://www.wftv.com/pdf/20090130/detail.html

I just wonder if the "mitigating evidence" JB speaks of is Casey's statement to George..."it was a time of desperation". I can see that'll fly with a jury...not.

Finally! Yep, she's going to get convicted on the check fraud charge and will be transferred to prison. YAY!!! Again, thanks to Judge Strickland who I might be developing a crush on. :blowkiss:
BBM- LOL...me too. And I'm 'Yay'ing too that this is going ahead in the near future. Its about bloody time! Poor Amy needs to get on with her life. She seems like she was such a great friend who worked her butt off to save her money, just to have her BFF swipe it out from under her.
JMO

BBM- LOL...me too. And I'm 'Yay'ing too that this is going ahead in the near future. Its about bloody time! Poor Amy needs to get on with her life. She seems like she was such a great friend who worked her butt off to save her money, just to have her BFF swipe it out from under her.
JMO
And KC needs to ,finally,be held accountable for something.Maybe once she's sentenced for this she'll start realizing she's not getting off on the murder charge.

I, too, feel that this is very good news indeed. Or should I say, "absolutely"? lol
Can't wait for the speedy trial!!!!!!!
Can't wait for the document dump tomorrow. Sheesh, there goes the puffed wheat squares, pop newmans and borscht that I was going to make.
YIPPEE!!!!!!!! Giddyup, Strickland :oD:blushing:

I am so HAPPY! This is great news.
I don't know if this has been asked before, but will Casey have to take the stand or speak in any way?
Thx

No, she doesn't have to testify, and no COMPETENT attorney would advise her to do so in the check fraud case. There is nothing she can say that would help her defense.

It will be interesting to see how she acts when Amy takes the stand.

It will be interesting to see if any one from that circle of friends come with Amy to support her!! I sure hope they do and show KC what true friendship means!!
grouphug.gif

I'm curious about what her defense will be? If she does not take the stand, that will only leave the defense to refute the evidence, which is on video for all of the juror's to see. They can cross examine Amy to try to get her to say that she may have unintentionally indicated to KC that she could use her check book but I'm sure Amy's lawyer is ready for that one.

I picture a "boo hoo poor ME" demeanor. Other than that I would expect her usual soulless stare.:cool:

I'm curious about what her defense will be? If she does not take the stand, that will only leave the defense to refute the evidence, which is on video for all of the juror's to see. They can cross examine Amy to try to get her to say that she may have unintentionally indicated to KC that she could use her check book but I'm sure Amy's lawyer is ready for that one.

Coco, I'm curious what her defense will be as well. Any of you legal WSers have an angle about why she continues to plead not guilty (faced with ALL of the evidence!!!) and why a lawyer would allow their client to do so?????
WTF.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toomanywomenmissinginbc
Back