State v Bradley Cooper 03-30-2011

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he's probably a very nice man. He is very courteous--even when upset. Like I said about Judge Gessner, I would like to live next door to him.

Gessner is awesome in person as well. So is nearly everyone involved in this.

The only one I have heard is difficult is Bob Trenkle. He has a rep as a pitbull, BUT, one that only gets involved in cases that have serious stakes (not the publicity side)

I think he sounds like Woody Allen.

Yes he does!!! You become immune to his questioning after a while-in other words, he asks every question in such an accusatory, hysterical way that I don't believe the jury can tell which questions are important!

I wonder if they checked coffee pot that day?

IIRC, from the depositions, Brad said they had an Espresso machine that made one cup of coffee at a time, and that he, Brad, had fixed himself numerous cups of coffee that morning, so he had no way of telling whether or not Nancy had fixed herself a cup of coffee that morning. You made it one cup at a time, each one who used it.

How did they know he was lying on day one? How could the determine if he was telling the truth? By going off what her friends had said?
How many red flags do you think went up when Brad didn't answer calls from CPD? I would have to go back and research what I consider lies the FIRST day.

If it were possible for ANY LE agency to conduct a full investigation the first week, we would have been to trial with this case two years ago, IMO. I believe if CPD had a RELIABLE tip concerning sightings they would have followed up immediatly. The fact is, they DID eventually interview all witnesses concerning sightings.

I read the affidavit of the woman who saw her and reported it. She seemed very credible. How much more RELIABLE than "I saw her, was close enough to almost touch her, and talked to her" do you need to at least go interview her? And again, the fact that she reported this while she was still missing says a lot. It wasn't a woman looking for attention. I've been bothered by what happened with her since 2008.

Okay, let's say that 20 people had been interviewed within the first 24 hrs who claimed to have seen Nancy. Obviously they didn't, because Nancy was dead by 6am, but let's go with this theory for a moment...

What exactly would have been the different outcome?

None.

Nancy still would have been dead, thrown off of Fielding Dr, where her husband said she would NOT have run. Her husband opined she was with her running partner, CC.

So based on Brad's statements from 7/12, CPD would be looking for people who saw TWO people running together, yes?

But even if they decided Nancy must have gone running alone, they still would have been left with *nothing* to lead them to her body.

It took a man and man's best friend to find NC's body.

SAME outcome.

The only difference would be your impression of CPD's investigation. The result still would have been the exact same thing.

Nancy was already dead.

Brad still made incriminating statements and did incriminating things.

You are assuming that CPD investigated no one else and that isn't true. Yes, Brad was the main #1 suspect, as would be expected in any homicide in which there is estrangement between a married couple who were seen fighting the night before.

Seriously... how could they NOT focus on Brad? We'd be laughing at them if they hadn't, thinking they were clueless.

Brad Cooper began LYING to the police investigating his missing wife DAY ONE. Why is it so hard to believe the police want to know WHY he's lying? WHY he didn't seem to CARE his wife was missing?

He began lying and he also displayed hostility towards Nancy when he informed the police that she didn't have a credit card because she was a shopaholic and had spent $3000 in one day. Not the type of info. a concerned husband would normally share with police the day his wife goes missing!

If Cary police hadn't started investigating Brad, they would be in deep doo doo for ignoring HUGE red flags.

Brad retained them first, then once he was arrested he claimed he was indigent and the court appointed them to his defense, since they were already his lawyers. I wonder if Brad had been arrested earlier if he would have retained someone else? I recall K&B loving them some TV time once Brad lawyered up with them (before he was arrested). They were posting videos and soliciting witnesses to support Brad way before he was arrested.

Somebody go see if Kurtz & Blum have a Big Bear Painting in their lobby. :fence:

Somebody go see if Kurtz & Blum have a Big Bear Painting in their lobby. :fence:

Custody lawyer, Debbie Sandlin, took everything of value from the Cooper home as part of her 'fee.' Not sure where the bear painting went. But she took the little kids good furniture. Yep, tis true.

Right. And how could they possibly know on that day that it wasn't a random crime? There obviously isn't a smoking gun at this point, with the exception of potentially phone and/or computer evidence. They had not even collected that evidence at that point in time, much less had it analyzed. So how could they possibly make that determination? So the defense has a valid point about this.

Perhaps someone knows this already but, how many investigators were on this case, early on, from CPD? Just a guess, but I would imagine this investigation would run much like a missing child case. Example, the Susan Smith case, where there is a dual investigation almost from the start. "Could be a random kidnapping/could be a parental abduction". YOu just don't know until you get further into it, so you have to keep all your (damn, can't think of the word I want/need here) maybe *options* open......

Yikes.Kurtz is trying using symantics to make JY appear in error..or untruthful..but the more he asks questions or makes statement..He is actually showing the opposite to the jury :loser:

So frustrating for us watching, I can also only imagine how the juror's feel:maddening:

These shoes they keep discussing are running shoes an true Althlete and marathon runner uses..not regualr ones most would use for just running.. I imagine Nancy used only the best available and what she could afford..or what Brad would spring for :banghead:

There is missing shoes??..OKay..never found?? only a few reasons..Disgarded innocently enough by Nancy..or whomever murdered her grabbed a pair of shoes not seeing they were two lefts to make it appear she had been wearing jogging shoes or somehow got lost in that house of cluttered mess :banghead:..Move on..Please:pullhair:

Earlier in a post to Sleuthygal, I suggested that she add a couple of adjectives to her "Marauding Band of.. ...Mormon Cannibals..." bunch.

One of my suggestions was "left-handed..." (I shoulda said "left-footed," too... but the implication s/be clear....

Case closed. Book'em, Danno. :takeabow:

Perhaps someone knows this already but, how many investigators were on this case, early on, from CPD? Just a guess, but I would imagine this investigation would run much like a missing child case. Example, the Susan Smith case, where there is a dual investigation almost from the start. "Could be a random kidnapping/could be a parental abduction". YOu just don't know until you get further into it, so you have to keep all your (damn, can't think of the word I want/need here) maybe *options* open......

They put something like 8 officers on the stand? And there were probably about 15 to 20 officers involved in the investigation, maybe more in the beginning. There was a HUGE search effort. Hundreds of people searched every running trail, lakes, woods, around the Regency area, where Nancy was known to go running.

Custody lawyer, Debbie Sandlin, took everything of value from the Cooper home as part of her 'fee.' Not sure where the bear painting went. But she take the little kids good furniture. Yep, tis true.

Oh wow, that's interesting. I thought the bear painting in the law office comment was a hysterical tongue-in-cheek remark, but I guess that sort of thing really happens.

One time I was asked to be a witness in a custody battle. Yes, a neighbor, but it was the husband, not the wife. I didn't really *want* to get involved, but knew the children were far better off with the father than the mother, so I agreed. I can't recall the name of the attorney right now, I think he's dead now, but at the time he was one of the top in his field in Raleigh. Soloman comes to mind, not sure if that's it or not though. Anyway, he began questioning me to see if *I* had any vulnerablities myself, and I remember his exact words were always "Can anyone testify that you've had an affair with anyone?" "Can anyone testify that you've stolen anything?" etc., looking for ways I could be impeached by the opposing counsel.

That's pretty scary. I'm sure you passed with flying colors.
I have provided a lot of testimony in various courts but always from the LE end of things. I was never able to overcome my fear and nervousness.

He began lying and he also displayed hostility towards Nancy when he informed the police that she didn't have a credit card because she was a shopaholic and had spent $3000 in one day. Not the type of info. a concerned husband would normally share with police the day his wife goes missing!

If Cary police hadn't started investigating Brad, they would be in deep doo doo for ignoring HUGE red flags.

No kidding. And it appears Brad was about as forthcoming as Scott Peterson when it came to giving something useful to the canine person to track Nancy's scent.

Okay, let's say that 20 people had been interviewed within the first 24 hrs who claimed to have seen Nancy. Obviously they didn't, because Nancy was dead by 6am, but let's go with this theory for a moment...

What exactly would have been the different outcome?

None.

Nancy still would have been dead, thrown off of Fielding Dr, where her husband said she would NOT have run. Her husband opined she was with her running partner, CC.

So based on Brad's statements from 7/12, CPD would be looking for people who saw TWO people running together, yes?

But even if they decided Nancy must have gone running alone, they still would have been left with *nothing* to lead them to her body.

It took a man and man's best friend to find NC's body.

SAME outcome.

The only difference would be your impression of CPD's investigation. The result still would have been the exact same thing.

Nancy was already dead.

Brad still made incriminating statements and did incriminating things.

You are assuming that CPD investigated no one else and that isn't true. Yes, Brad was the main #1 suspect, as would be expected in any homicide in which there is estrangement between a married couple who were seen fighting the night before.

Seriously... how could they NOT focus on Brad? We'd be laughing at them if they hadn't, thinking they were clueless.

As I recall from my vast Law and Order viewing experience....

Objection: Assumes facts not in evidence.

And thanks to the group for knowing what BBM means.

BBM

Six detectives. Also, for this particular case, at that particular time, based on the rotation, the two detectives who ended up with the case were NOT the leading Dom. Viol. (nor the most experienced homicide) investigators and the person who would have been was re-assigned early on. He's been mentioned several times.

Cary PD often does some odd things though. There was a male-on-male rape case earlier this year there that involved kidnapping and being basically tortured over a 12 hour period that went **poof** and became non-news within a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
birdistheword14