State v. Bradley Cooper 3-29-11

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he did setup the scene to look like someone else. He hastily put a sports bra on her body without any other clothing to make it appear to be a rape/murder victim. I think Mr. Brad had no intention of her body being found even as soon as it was. First of all, I don't think he had any intention of the police becoming involved on Saturday. He made no attempt to call police or hospitals or anything regarding Nancy not coming back from a run. Heck, he didn't even return a call FROM a police officer that afternoon. I think he thought he'd wait at least the obligatory 24 hour waiting period and maybe he'd sashay over to the local police department with two children in tow and half-heartedly tell them his wife hadn't returned home from a run. Then sit back and wait, hoping it was days and days in the hot July temperatures, before her body was found in an extreme state of decay and decomposition.

Because his children were asleep at home and because he came up with the jogging story, he had to dump her relatively close. I think he thought it was a brilliant plan. I believe he believes he's smarter than your average bear, not realizing that he was making some mistakes along the way. I think grabbing two left shoes was his first critical mistake - and he was in such a hurry he didn't even notice it until much later - until it was too late. I think he fully intended to remove the earrings, but just got caught up and lost in all the things to do that he forgot them. And I bet he was kicking himself later when he realized he'd forgotten to take the earrings.

That's just my speculation of course. I think BC is a very intelligent man in some areas, and I think he's one huge doofus in others. Smart enough to earn an MBA and program advanced technology and a whiz at gadgetry - just not smart enough to get in out of the rain - as we say in the south, bless his heart.

Wouldn't it be great if CPD found her two right shoes in a dumpster somewhere? BAM! We got somethin'...

She was 2 at the time IIRC and she didn't need for either of them to 'give' her the bottle as in holding her like an infant. And if so, I think she would have finished it in 15 minutes. I think this is just more BS from Brad in a moment of panic when he couldn't think clearly.
It's this type of little thing/comment/issue that makes me think he's guilty as heck. The things that keep adding up.

My 2 year old will take her cup...take a couple of drinks. Put it down...go play with something, then come back to it, drink a little more, etc. It's not like when you are holding them and holding a bottle in their mouth.

It looks like Detective Young lied in his search warrant affidavit. It says in the document "A spare key to the 2004 BMW X5 motor vehicle was secured within the motor vehicle along with 'important personal documents' of Nancy Cooper, which included the passport of Nancy Lynn Cooper and documents pertaining to the divorce of Nancy and Brad Cooper."

The detective said under cross examination today that Nancy's passport was found in a box in the master bedroom, not her vehicle. And he verified it was her "current passport".

Maybe Detective Young got the search warrant including information provided by neighbors who were told by Nancy Cooper she kept her passport and one of her daughter's passports locked in her car. Same thing with cell phone and it also was in the residence.

I think he did setup the scene to look like someone else. He hastily put a sports bra on her body without any other clothing to make it appear to be a rape/murder victim. I think Mr. Brad had no intention of her body being found even as soon as it was. First of all, I don't think he had any intention of the police becoming involved on Saturday. He made no attempt to call police or hospitals or anything regarding Nancy not coming back from a run. Heck, he didn't even return a call FROM a police officer that afternoon. I think he thought he'd wait at least the obligatory 24 hour waiting period and maybe he'd sashay over to the local police department with two children in tow and half-heartedly tell them his wife hadn't returned home from a run. Then sit back and wait, hoping it was days and days in the hot July temperatures, before her body was found in an extreme state of decay and decomposition.

Because his children were asleep at home and because he came up with the jogging story, he had to dump her relatively close. I think he thought it was a brilliant plan. I believe he believes he's smarter than your average bear, not realizing that he was making some mistakes along the way. I think grabbing two left shoes was his first critical mistake - and he was in such a hurry he didn't even notice it until much later - until it was too late. I think he fully intended to remove the earrings, but just got caught up and lost in all the things to do that he forgot them. And I bet he was kicking himself later when he realized he'd forgotten to take the earrings.

That's just my speculation of course. I think BC is a very intelligent man in some areas, and I think he's one huge doofus in others. Smart enough to earn an MBA and program advanced technology and a whiz at gadgetry - just not smart enough to get in out of the rain - as we say in the south, bless his heart.

Love these thoughts!

I think he fully intended to remove the earrings, but just got caught up and lost in all the things to do that he forgot them. And I bet he was kicking himself later when he realized he'd forgotten to take the earrings.

So, the earring issue, at the dump scene it was mentioned there was fear the earring would fall out and thus was removed. I don't believe that we have heard anything about the piece of the earring that keeps it locked. Not sure what it is called, but the piece that attaches to the post, keeps the earring secure. Was this piece also recovered from the dump site?

It depends on the child. My 2 year old can drink on a sippy cup for a long time.

A bottle is a lot different than a sippy cup. Statements have been made that they were trying to wean her from the bottle so if she lost interest I don't believe they would have continued to present it to her.

Maybe Detective Young got the search warrant including information provided by neighbors who were told by Nancy Cooper she kept her passport and one of her daughter's passports locked in her car. Same thing with cell phone and it also was in the residence.

And then we have Brad, who stated that he had Bella's passport at cisco AND in his upstairs office...

So, the earring issue, at the dump scene it was mentioned there was fear the earring would fall out and thus was removed. I don't believe that we have heard anything about the piece of the earring that keeps it locked. Not sure what it is called, but the piece that attaches to the post, keeps the earring secure. Was this piece also recovered from the dump site?

Yes, but the earring was very loose. It's called a 'back' or the back of the earring.

Interesting. I think that Kurtz is looking somewhat inept at this point. I agree with an earlier characterization that he seems a bit desperate. He seems to be focusing on minor points that really don't have anything to do with JY's role in this case. MOO

BBM - those things are called "straws," and he's grasping at 'em....
But I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. He's no dummy -- it's his turn on this witness now. And young Young is holdin' his own.
icon11.gif
JMHO

I wonder what Brad would do if he got off. Run back into HM's waiting arms? Try to get custody of the girls just to spite Nancy's family? Move back to Canada? (The sentence he has served has not been near long enough, but it's better than nothing.)

Right, so why would BC tell LE that she went jogging that morning? If he killed her, IMO he would have been more careful with the explanation about where she was. He would have either given a different excuse for where she went, or he would have made it look like she went jogging (by doing all those things you mentioned). The other possibility is that he told the truth = that NC told him he was going jogging, and he believed her.

Well, he could have taken the chance of being seen in NC's vehicle taking it somewhere - like J.Jive - and dropping it off and then what? walking back home or jogging back home himself? Or he could have arranged for an accomplice to meet him with a dead NC to pretend they went running with her to fit his story? It would be a little hard to set up a run like she normally ran. But her going jogging and being raped/murdered was his only plausible story - the only one he had the best chance of floating and getting away with. What else would he have done with her body in the night time hours while his children slept? Couldn't drive her out in the country any where and risk his kids waking up in the house alone (well, he could, but I don't think he wanted to chance the older one telling someone she woke up and mommy nor daddy was home and she was scared)...couldn't say she just disappeared from the house without a whole 'nother set of questions and problems to sort out (was there forced entry, didn't hear an abduction taking place in the night, no sign of a struggle) No, his safest bet was to say "I don't know. Nancy went jogging and I don't know anything else." He didn't put pants on her because he was so busy trying to make it look like a sexual assault/kill so there was no where to store the keys to her car - yeah, sure, he shoulda threw them wherever he threw the clothes and shoes and his shoes that all disappeared. Another detail he missed. Like I've said before - intelligent, yes, okay - but a seasoned murderer - no, I think this was his first and he didn't get everything right.

It seems all testimony, with exception of Mrs. Rentz is groundwork. When the prosecution comes out with a few major shots across the bow you get an idea of what they really have. It has not happened in this case to date.

Today it seemed that the defense is spinning and making statements to put Brad's words and thoughts to the jurors without him testifying. Look at what happened today.

I wonder what Brad would do if he got off. Run back into HM's waiting arms? Try to get custody of the girls just to spite Nancy's family? Move back to Canada? (The sentence he has served has not been near long enough, but it's better than nothing.)

I agree about the sentence. Same thing I said about the OJ murder trial....at least both served some time.
I have a feeling he would move back to Canada. He doesn't seem to have an overabundance of friends in NC or strong emotional ties. I am not sure how his employer feels about this case as I haven't seen or read any quotes from his immediate supervisor regarding his job--don't know if they are holding it for him, etc. If acquitted and if he moves back to Canada, he would probably have a better chance of regaining custody of the children there. But my heart of heart tells me he doesn't really want the responsibility of children, especially alone. Of course, these are just my own thoughts but I have given thought to the what ifs should he be acquitted.

Being computer literate I would imagine BC smart enough not to use any gear traceable to him when searching for dump sites. I don't think it is unreasonable to believe that this dump site was known to BC. It is close to his home and it is the site of a Toll Brothers new development. It has been mentioned before that the Coopers were looking at Toll Brother developments.

That's what I think. I don't think Brad researched any dump sites. What's to research. In my drives around our area I've seen plenty of places to dump somebody. :blushing: Comes with following true crime I guess. As a couple people have suggested, Brad couldn't dump the body too early, don't want somebody to accidentally find Nancy before a normal jogging time. I'm all for him dumping her just before the first Harris Teeter trip. She got home around 12:30/12:45...who know's when the argument started. One thing I've always wondered, would Brad have known by leaving her naked and dumped head first into a gully like that, she would decompose much faster than leaving her clothed & high and dry? Wonder if he watched/read crime type stuff? Just curious. He actually dumped her in a pretty good spot, considering it had to be close to home. I wouldn't dump a body in one of the lakes, who knows where and how quickly it might *float* and be found. But dumping a body, naked, in a ditch with rainwater, etc., lots of major decomposition quickly.

I honestly don't remember hearing it was recovered. I may very well be wrong about that though. My working theory on that (since I don't believe it was found)... Upon returning home and cleaning the trunk, Mr. C found it in the trunk at which point he slapped his pointed forehead and said to himself, "Brad, you big dummy, you forgot to keep the earrings!!" And then the back of the earring went away, far far away.

It seems all testimony, with exception of Mrs. Rentz is groundwork. When the prosecution comes out with a few major shots across the bow you get an idea of what they really have. It has not happened in this case to date.

Today it seemed that the defense is spinning and making statements to put Brad's words and thoughts to the jurors without him testifying. Look at what happened today.

Yep, Kurtz has been testifying for Brad from early on. You can tell what Kurtz is really worried about, we have seen the tip of it with the phone talk, the computers scare the kittens out of Kurtz. :D

That's what I think. I don't think Brad researched any dump sites. What's to research. In my drives around our area I've seen plenty of places to dump somebody. :blushing: Comes with following true crime I guess. As a couple people have suggested, Brad couldn't dump the body too early, don't want somebody to accidentally find Nancy before a normal jogging time. I'm all for him dumping her just before the first Harris Teeter trip. She got home around 12:30/12:45...who know's when the argument started. One thing I've always wondered, would Brad have known by leaving her naked and dumped head first into a gully like that, she would decompose much faster than leaving her clothed & high and dry? Wonder if he watched/read crime type stuff? Just curious. He actually dumped her in a pretty good spot, considering it had to be close to home. I wouldn't dump a body in one of the lakes, who knows where and how quickly it might *float* and be found. But dumping a body, naked, in a ditch with rainwater, etc., lots of major decomposition quickly.

Interesting. Aiding decomposition would make sense that he left her naked, save for the sports bra that he needed to back up that she went running. Maybe it was rolled up to expose the maximum amount of skin to the elements. Like they said, when they went to do a trace on her skin, it peeled her skin off.

Yep, Kurtz has been testifying for Brad from early on. You can tell what Kurtz is really worried about, we have seen the tip of it with the phone talk, the computers scare the kittens out of Kurtz. :D

RC! So good to see you!

My point is that it's hard to make the argument that anyone in this country should feel they are unable to get a job over a green card issue when we have 20 million people doing it right now. Many places don't even request proof of citizenship anymore or there would be way less illegal immigrants working here. The banks even give them accounts, mortgages and car loans w/o citizenship doc. Just saying.

One bank didn't do that -- I worked there for 30 years. In fact I supported the system that double-checked new accounts & txns every night. Multiple federal laws in several arenas - Patriot Act, OFAC, etc., etc. And these are checked by Uncle Sam quarterly. Failure to comply results in heavy fines and ultimately the shutdown of the business. Just sayin.'
icon7.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member