State vs. Jason Lynn Young 03-01-12 (P.M. session: PT closing arguments)

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not on my end. I think he's likely guilty, but would have to vote NG.

This is my basic position too. While it seems like he could have done it, there is not enough CE for me to lock him up for life.

Hopefully JY will soon have the structure he needs!

I do. When they came back and said they're OK starting at 9:30 tells me they don't think they're concerned about long deliberation.

Although, as we say in the Casey Anthony trial, that was a bad sign for the PT...

Either that! OR they know they're going to be there a while, so why lose sleep on the first day?

Interesting you would think he is "likely guilty" but would set him free

Curious, where is the reasonable doubt for you?
The only evidence the defense presented points to acting in concert.

Did the closing arguments change anyone's mind in either direction?

After the Pinnellas 12, I'm just not sure. As far as my opinion, I think he did it based on him being gone all night, someone seeing him at the gas station, him returning to the hotel at 6'ish AM.

He didn't claim the life insurance
he gave up custody of Cassidy so he wouldn't have to answer questions
No claim on the jewelry
The pocketbook was not touched
the killing itself was brutal; no rape. What kind of burglar goes in for the kill, and then doesn't take much. Oh, but said burglar is going to ransack a closet and leave the downstairs untouched.

Just some rambling thoughts - I really don't know how this jury is going to see it. I didn't sit through Jury selections, so I don't know who's on there.

MOO

Mel

ETA: If I were sitting on the jury, I might have a problem finding him guilty just because I keep flip-flopping. Yes, I think he probably did it...I just don't know if I'm convinced enough KWIM (unlike the Casey Anthony case where my feet were firmly planted on guilty).

I'd be a juror which settled for G on 2nd degree in light of the fact that I do think JY is at least involved, but that other(s) were involved in both the murder and the aftermath. Not convinced JY did the actual deed himself, but I am convinced he was fully involved.

For me, I would say there is about a 75% chance he is guilty, but that does not meet my personal level of being moral satisfied to enter a guilty verdict. Thus I a presume he is innocent and I would have to vote this way.

I would vote guilty - and I cant think of anything in jury deliberations that would change my mind.

RE closing arguments. I thought the DT did a better job of creating doubt than the PT did of proving guilt. Things that stand out to me are...

The fuel mileage.
The unknown prints - everywhere. And why not take the time to eliminate LE??

I also thought the part where Collins got choked up was a nice touch.

Here in Raleigh it's a gorgeous, sunny, 80-degree day. JLY had better take advantage of it and enjoy what will hopefully be his last day of freedom!

After the Pinnellas 12, I'm just not sure. As far as my opinion, I think he did it based on him being gone all night, someone seeing him at the gas station, him returning to the hotel at 6'ish AM.

He didn't claim the life insurance
he gave up custody of Cassidy so he wouldn't have to answer questions
No claim on the jewelry
The pocketbook was not touched
the killing itself was brutal; no rape. What kind of burglar goes in for the kill, and then doesn't take much. Oh, but said burglar is going to ransack a closet and leave the downstairs untouched.

Just some rambling thoughts - I really don't know how this jury is going to see it. I didn't sit through Jury selections, so I don't know who's on there.

MOO

Mel

I agree with you.
The PT presented a motive as far as I am concerned and the DT did not present a motive for anyone else a stranger to have done it. JMO

For me, I would say there is about a 75% chance he is guilty, but that does not meet my personal level of being moral satisfied to enter a guilty verdict. Thus I a presume he is innocent and I would have to vote this way.

I can't believe it's over.....

So, who was better Becky or Howard?

RE closing arguments. I thought the DT did a better job of creating doubt than the PT did of proving guilt. Things that stand out to me are...

The fuel mileage.
The unknown prints - everywhere. And why not take the time to eliminate LE??

I also thought the part where Collins got choked up was a nice touch.

The defense was awesome, they were so passionate, you can tell they believe in this case..

They have fought for Jason's every day since they started.

I am so proud of them !!

I would set him free, because I realize it would be my duty to do so. If I can't say they've convinced me beyond a reasonable doubt, it doesn't matter if I suspect he did it. It's my job to keep the prosecution to their burden.

The doubt for me is that there are too many assumptions we have to make in order to make the prosecution puzzle stay in place. We have to assume he stopped for gas, possibly more than once. We have to assume that he manipulated the cameras. We have to assume that he was able to evade all the other cameras in the HI to not be seen, and that the gas stations that he stopped at had no cameras. We have to assume that he was wearing the HP shoes in Cracker Barrel. We have to assume that he was lucky enough not to transfer fibers, blood, or bodily fluid, even though he didn't clean up in the house. We have to assume he made it back without speeding, without getting stopped by police, without getting recognized by anyone who knew him or would positively ID him, snuck into the hotel, then made it to his appointment without anything going wrong (meanwhile disposing of evidence). We are told he either acted in concert with another person, or alone, but we have no evidence on that matter. We have to assume that he didn't have any scratches on him because he was wearing gloves, but he left a fingerprint on the wall because he wasn't. We have to assume both FH and CB were wrong about their IDs.

To me, that's a whole lot of assuming.

ETA: Sorry if this is rambling or confusing, I wanted to respond to your post right away, and didn't put a ton of thought into everything I might have left out.

I would vote NG. Too much reasonable doubt for me. I would have like to have seen the PT closing arguments, but I wasn't able to do that. I'm not sure that would have changed my mind any, but I would have liked to see how they presented it.

Having never been a juror, I do not understand the legal concept of reasonable doubt. But I do know that I am completely satisfied that JY planned to and did murder his wife. So I would vote Guilty.

Can one of our lawyers explain reasonable doubt - once again. Either here or on the legal thread.

Thanks a lot.

I'd be a juror which settled for G on 2nd degree in light of the fact that I do think JY is at least involved, but that other(s) were involved in both the murder and the aftermath. Not convinced JY did the actual deed himself, but I am convinced he was fully involved.

But how could you vote 2nd? If JY is guilty, he ABSOLUTELY premeditated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CP95