Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by otto View Post
Is Meredith's undergrad degree in psychology?
I have no idea. She did mention a psychologist was at her house, though so it was someone who must be licensed.

I'd like to hear more.

JMO
I have no idea. She did mention a psychologist was at her house, though so it was someone who must be licensed.

I'd like to hear more.

JMO

Yes, her undergraduate degree is in psychology.

The Judge can direct a verdict FOR THE DEFENSE at the end of the State's case, or at the end of all the evidence. That is not going to happen. I guarantee it. The Judge is also not going to overturn the verdict of a jury, or direct a verdict for guilty. It will not happen in a murder trial. There is a reason this is not a bench trial.

And yes, alternates are dismissed when a Judge dismisses them. But he will NOT substitute an alternate for a seated juror after deliberations are begun because a verdict has not been reached. That, I also guarantee.

This is all correct. But, the jurors must be dismissed before deliberations begin. If the jury hangs, it hangs. Like you said, the judge could enter an order in favor of the defense, but I find that unlikely as well.

I'm wondering if some of the citing of incorrect legal procedure is intentional.

The Judge can direct a verdict FOR THE DEFENSE at the end of the State's case, or at the end of all the evidence. That is not going to happen. I guarantee it. The Judge is also not going to overturn the verdict of a jury, or direct a verdict for guilty. It will not happen in a murder trial. There is a reason this is not a bench trial.

And yes, alternates are dismissed when a Judge dismisses them. But he will NOT substitute an alternate for a seated juror after deliberations are begun because a verdict has not been reached. That, I also guarantee.

Thanks but I'll continue to hold my opinion.

Nobody can guarantee what this Judge will do but he's already displayed an intolerance for juror misconduct to the point he said he was considering contempt charges. If he suspects juror misconduct in the deliberations phase, absolutely he'll replace a juror rather than declare a mistrial and start over entirely. Of that, I have no doubt.

JMO

This is all correct. But, the jurors must be dismissed before deliberations begin. If the jury hangs, it hangs. Like you said, the judge could enter an order in favor of the defense, but I find that unlikely as well.

I'm wondering if some of the citing of incorrect legal procedure is intentional.

Exactly, I stated before that alternates are dismissed as soon as deliberations begin. It's fairly straightforward procedure, so I am not sure why it's being misrepresented.

Nobody can guarantee what this Judge will do but he's already displayed an intolerance for juror misconduct to the point he said he was considering contempt charges. If he suspects juror misconduct in the deliberations phase, absolutely he'll replace a juror rather than declare a mistrial and start over entirely. Of that, I have no doubt.

JMO

You don't have to have any doubt, <modsnip>.

I have learned a lot about shoes. This lady is passionate about her work, which is a good thing. :)

I think that the potential problem with issues like the medicine is that to some observers it shows that the State is stretching to get evidence to fit their theory of the case.

There is no time or person associate with when the medicine was administered but it fits the States theory that JY gave it to CY to put her to sleep. It could be that Michelle sometimes gave it to CY as part of a bedtime routine. We do not know as both are reasonable conclusions.

The medicine is important because we know, as an indisputed fact, that Jason Young had greater knowledge of this specific adult strength medicine than the average layperson. He was a pharmaceutical salesman and his previous employer confirmed that as a requirement for that job, he would know this medicine. So in the context of everything else about this case that I won't restate, it becomes one more piece of the puzzle.

If the medicine had not been found in Cassidy Young's room the very day her mother was murdered? Then the medicine wouldn't matter. But it was, and it is. It's reasonable to assume it is relevant and when you consider Jason Young's expertise as to the medicine, you're darn right it's important. Of course the jury will be free to consider that possibly a mother of a two-year-old child chose to give that child adult strength medicine as a regular part of her bedtime routine, and to leave the medicine in the child's room overnight. I suspect that Michelle Young wasn't the type of mom to do that.

JMO

Didn't something like that happen in the Scott Peterson trial? Wasn't the foreman dismissed halfway through deliberations and the red headed alternate added? Maybe the rules are different in different states?

I have learned a lot about shoes. This lady is passionate about her work, which is a good thing. :)

You are so right, I'm glad there are people who can enjoy working with shoes. I am afraid I would last about a week in that sub-field.

The medicine is important because we know, as an indisputed fact, that Jason Young had greater knowledge of this specific adult strength medicine than the average layperson. He was a pharmaceutical salesman and his previous employer confirmed that as a requirement for that job, he would know this medicine. So in the context of everything else about this case that I won't restate, it becomes one more piece of the puzzle.

If the medicine had not been found in Cassidy Young's room the very day her mother was murdered? Then the medicine wouldn't matter. But it was, and it is. It's reasonable to assume it is relevant and when you consider Jason Young's expertise as to the medicine, you're darn right it's important. Of course the jury will be free to consider that possibly a mother of a two-year-old child chose to give that child adult strength medicine as a regular part of her bedtime routine, and to leave the medicine in the child's room overnight. I suspect that Michelle Young wasn't the type of mom to do that.

BBM

The problem is the jury probably will not have enough to determine what I just bolded though. How would the jury know that MY would not give CY this medicine? Was it testified to by MF?

BBM

The problem is the jury probably will not have enough to determine what I just bolded though. How would the jury know that MY would not give CY this medicine? Was it testified to by MF?

How about extrapolation and common sense?

"Not enough information to determine right or left"??? I thought it was the clear pattern on the sole of the shoe that indicated size, etc. If none of the markings indicating the shoe are present - since she can't say whether it's a left or right shoe - how does she know it's the same shoe? Presumably the sole pattern is mirrored on each shoe, not the same.

How about extrapolation and common sense?

Doesn't that just become a straight out assumption at that point? 'Well, JY must have gave it to her, it was in her room'? 'No mother would give her child adult strength medicine'?

His foot has indentation marks and a blistery appearance. This was 4 days later, I think it could come from those too tight Franklins

I agree. Why would he buy a franklin in his size? If he wanted to throw off police? He purposely bought them smaller so it looked like someone else. I think the partial hushpuppie sole was a mistake! moo

Doesn't that just become a straight out assumption at that point? 'Well, JY must have gave it to her, it was in her room'? 'No mother would give her child adult strength medicine'?

Adult 'knockout' drops??? What would she have needed her knocked out for?

Adult 'knockout' drops??? What would she have needed her knocked out for?

I don't know, but I can see the first question a juror asks is 'how do we even know that CY had medicine in her system'? And what's the answer to that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FindIreneFlemingWAState