Steve Irwin, The Crocodile Hunter, Is Dead

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Mate tells of Irwin's last moments
September 05, 2006 09:57am

A LIFE-long friend of Steve Irwin today told how the Crocodile Hunter pulled a deadly stingray barb from his own chest before losing consciousness and dying.

Friend John Stainton said he had viewed footage of his friends last moments and*the* images*were *"shocking".

"It's a very hard thing to watch because you're actually witnessing somebody die ... and it's terrible," he said.

"It shows that Steve came over the top of the ray and the tail came up, and spiked him here (in the chest), and he pulled it out and the next minute he's gone.

"That was it. The cameraman had to shut down."

--> more at link

My heartfelt condolences go out to all who loved and knew Steve. So very sad. :(

gardenmom said:
This has really affected me, and I'm glad to see so many postings on Steve. I can't remember being so sad over a celebrity's death since Princess Diana. Both were too young, did great things, and had young children. They both died tragically. I think his death hits us hard because he brought our families together while watching his shows. We would all say how crazy he was, but we enjoyed him so much. I keep wanting this to not be true.
I haven't been this sad over a celebritys death since Princess Di either Gardenmom, only said that to a friend this morning.
Its hit me exactly the same way, like a ton of bricks.
It's like Sep 11, we all know where we were when we heard the news.
When Sep 11 happened, I remember jumping in my car and running over to my friends place, who despite having kids, was still fast sleep...
I'm like wake up, the bloody sky is falling, you are not going to believe this..
Same as Princess Di, I remember exactly where I was..
When I saw the thread here yesterday, I thought...chit it must be a joke...it can't mean our Croc Hunter and he can't really be dead..

Liz said:
Mate tells of Irwin's last moments
September 05, 2006 09:57am

A LIFE-long friend of Steve Irwin today told how the Crocodile Hunter pulled a deadly stingray barb from his own chest before losing consciousness and dying.

Friend John Stainton said he had viewed footage of his friends last moments and*the* images*were *"shocking".

"It's a very hard thing to watch because you're actually witnessing somebody die ... and it's terrible," he said.

"It shows that Steve came over the top of the ray and the tail came up, and spiked him here (in the chest), and he pulled it out and the next minute he's gone.

"That was it. The cameraman had to shut down."

--> more at link

My heartfelt condolences go out to all who loved and knew Steve. So very sad. :(
I only just heard that this morning Liz, that he tried to get the barb out.
How awful watching your friend die, they really loved each other, were great mates.
The cameraman is pretty shook up too, understandably.

englishleigh said:
Amen, Sundayrain, and I second that. To all our friends "down under", our sympathies for the loss you guys have suffered of such a wonderful national hero...know that he was loved the world over!!
Thank you Englishleigh :)
It's good to know he was so loved, it makes me feel better.
I was here yesterday when the news broke and I felt all your kinds thoughts and condolences, it meant alot to know he reached so many people.

Buzzm1 said:
I saw that on the news here dingo. We all have to be thankful for the knowledge, and understanding, that Steve provided to us, on behalf of the animals, that he so dearly loved, and respected. What an amazing impact he has had on so many of us, in such a short period of time. He burned very bright.
Buzz
I always enjoys your posts, you word things so well...unlike me who has a chronic case of foot and mouth :rolleyes:
He was a bright light that's for sure.

narlacat said:
I haven't been this sad over a celebritys death since Princess Di either Gardenmom, only said that to a friend this morning.
Its hit me exactly the same way, like a ton of bricks.
It's like Sep 11, we all know where we were when we heard the news.
When Sep 11 happened, I remember jumping in my car and running over to my friends place, who despite having kids, was still fast sleep...
I'm like wake up, the bloody sky is falling, you are not going to believe this..
Same as Princess Di, I remember exactly where I was..
When I saw the thread here yesterday, I thought...chit it must be a joke...it can't mean our Croc Hunter and he can't really be dead..
Exactly Narla.

I am still in shock and still find it hard to believe he is gone. :(

I am still in a fog over this tragedy. It was so shocking and sad! I can't believe it. :( :(

Watching all the shows makes me even sadder. What a huge loss :( :(

Just finished watching Hannity and Colmes on Fox. The entire hour was devoted to Steve Irwin, with Jack Hanna and Jim Fowler. They emphasized his role as a conservationist and their respect for him

Does anyone know if there is an online condolence book for the family anywhere? I'd really like to sign it. My youngest daughter is 8, and is just two weeks younger than Bindi. Together we looked up photos of Bindi tonight and my daughter prayed for her in her prayers for the loss of her dad. I'm sure Kate would also like to sign something for Bindi and Bob.

Lots of prayers tonight, from all over the world, for Terri, Bindi, & Bob. Is Steve's dad still living? I also keep thinking, Steve is with his beloved mom Lyn, and that is comforting.

narlacat said:
Odd you should say this because last night I was up when this thread was posted and while trying to find more info this first thing that came up on google was snopes. There was an article on snopes saying that every couple of years there is a rumor that Steve had died some tragic death. So, I'm thinking to myself, well the poster must be mistaken and fooled by this hoax. I wish it had been. It wasn't until I saw it on Rueters that I believed it was true.

STEPHEN MCGINTY

STEVE Irwin, the safari-suited "crocodile hunter" and television presenter, was killed by a stingray yesterday while filming a documentary series called Ocean's Deadliest.
The Australian conservationist, who attracted a worldwide following for his energetic antics and catchphrase "Crikey!", was filming underwater at Batt Reef, off the coast of north-eastern Queensland, when the stingray's barb punctured his heart.

Irwin, 44, was hauled aboard his boat, Croc One, where crew members tried to resuscitate him.

A rescue helicopter rushed to the scene but medical staff pronounced him dead shortly after their arrival.

Stingrays have a serrated barb, or spine, on the top of their tail which is loaded with poison. It is understood it killed Irwin instantly. more at link:http://news.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=1307552006

englishleigh said:
Does anyone know if there is an online condolence book for the family anywhere? I'd really like to sign it. My youngest daughter is 8, and is just two weeks younger than Bindi. Together we looked up photos of Bindi tonight and my daughter prayed for her in her prayers for the loss of her dad. I'm sure Kate would also like to sign something for Bindi and Bob.

Lots of prayers tonight, from all over the world, for Terri, Bindi, & Bob. Is Steve's dad still living? I also keep thinking, Steve is with his beloved mom Lyn, and that is comforting.
I saw it somewhere.I will go try and find it again and post.

dark_shadows said:
I saw it somewhere.I will go try and find it again and post.
I saw it too DS, and I think it was pretty hard to post on, pretty busy. I'll look too though.

I just finished watching Larry King Live with my boys. It was a re-airing of an interview with Steve from late 2004.

Such a tragic loss. What a phenomenal man he was. His love and respect of animals was so evident. He was describing how baby seals and penguins are purposely killed in Antartica, and it was so emotional for him that his voice started cracking and tears welled up in his eyes. What an awesome man he was.

I really hate the fact that someone as genuine, gentle, and lovingly-spirited as him should die, while there are creeps who are still alive who don't deserve to share the air with others on this earth.

When it was over, I said to my boys "What a wonderful man he was," and my 10 year old looked over at me and he had tears in his eyes, and he said "He really was."

:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

englishleigh said:
Does anyone know if there is an online condolence book for the family anywhere?

I thought I saw one posted earlier on one of the news links, Leigh, but am not finding it right now. However at this site, you can leave a comment, like almost 3,500 people have already done. I'm inclined to believe they will be printed out and given to the family.

Also at that same link, you can read all of these related stories:

* Daughter's love: Bindi's touching tribute

* Public grief: Zoo becomes shrine to Aussie star

* Irwin's zoo to continue work

* Stingray death: Fateful decision led to tragedy

* Controversy: Loved in US, but Steve had enemies

* Good mate: Stars, friends pay tribute

* Croc Hunter: Death as perplexing as fame

* Obituary: Irwin shaped by his early life

* Impact: Helping children cope with the tragedy

* Callous: Irwin's Wikipedia entry defaced

* Audio slideshow: Steve Irwin, 1962 - 2006

* Australia Zoo: The official zoo website

* Icon: The Crocodile Hunter homepage

* Icon dies: Overwhelming grief for Irwin

* Crikey!: Select quotes from Steve Irwin

Again, those can be found at this link: http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,20349888-2,00.html

On another note ...
I just heard Steve's best friend, Mr. Stainton, on Anderson Cooper and he adamently denied that Steve removed or attempted to remove the sting ray's barb from his chest, after having been pierced. In fact, Stainton said he was offended that the host even asked him that, and he said it was 'rubbish'. I don't know what really occured but I just wanted to post what Steve's good mate expressed as the truth. Adding later, I'm thinking perhaps John Stainton may have misunderstood the question ... maybe he thought the host was asking him if he (JS) had removed or attempted to remove the barb from Steve's chest. ~Liz

This stuff is so hard to read. arrgh. This is so awful.

I saw Fox where they tried to say that Steve had taken the barb out.this is not true as he would have known not to do this.Where do the 'media' get off with all this missinformation.Poor Steve.!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
habitsofwaste
Back