Steve Irwin, The Crocodile Hunter, Is Dead

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I have been so sad today over this. I remember when my son was about 2 my brother bought him the animal planet toys and we would watch the discovery shows and watch steve. I think the world lost really caring person who loved animals dearly. Its very heartbreaking.

Thank you Mr Peter Hamilton for saying the right words....to our distant friends.
It was always such a pleasure to invite Steve into our homes and watch his amazing work.......

Sundayrain said:
To all of Our Australia Friends.......Dingo,Cyndi, Kahskye,Narlacat...and many who I havn't yet met or know...... We are all very sad, and it is not a happy day here thinking about loosing him, and about his family. People with hearts, and compassion...have already forgotten that 5 min. baby issue. I am sure he knew what he was doing. He was born and raised with them......
I honor his work, his teachings, his dedication to animals, the risks he took, and all that his personality eluded too......You were so lucky to have him as one of your own. Remember only the good words here on WS.......
Thank you Sunday for your kind words and your thoughts :)
Yes, we are remembering only the good words here on WS.
Thanks everyone for embracing him like we did.

Sundayrain said:
To all of Our Australia Friends.......Dingo,Cyndi, Kahskye,Narlacat...and many who I havn't yet met or know...... We are all very sad, and it is not a happy day here thinking about loosing him, and about his family. People with hearts, and compassion...have already forgotten that 5 min. baby issue. I am sure he knew what he was doing. He was born and raised with them......
I honor his work, his teachings, his dedication to animals, the risks he took, and all that his personality eluded too......You were so lucky to have him as one of your own. Remember only the good words here on WS.......

Just to let our Aussie posters know: Germans are upset about Steve's passing too, you know. it's been on and off telly all day and a German was the one who passed the news to me.

Sundayrain said:

Amen, Sundayrain, and I second that. To all our friends "down under", our sympathies for the loss you guys have suffered of such a wonderful national hero...know that he was loved the world over!!

Floh said:
Just to let our Aussie posters know: Germans are upset about Steve's passing too, you know. it's been on and off telly all day and a German was the one who passed the news to me.
Hi Floh :)

I appreciate your effort in this thread, thank you so much for trying to point out that baby Bob wasn't in danger.
I didn't think it was a very bright thing to do, but Steve had full control and if you look at the footage, the Croc wasn't anywhere near the baby.
We love you guys too, I think I am German descent actually lol, but thats a whole other story :D

And finally, from me tonight,:

Calls grow for state funeral to honour Steve Irwin

Queensland Premier Peter Beattie says there has been an outpouring of sympathy for the family and many calls for the State Government to acknowledge Irwin's contribution to tourism and conservation.

Mr Beattie says a state funeral is one of several options being considered to recognise Irwin's work, but he will wait to hear the wishes of the conservationist's family before making any decisions.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200609/s1732886.htm

He was a great ambassador for Australia, i think. having said that, i believe Steve would have been humbled at the idea.

Many thanks for all of your good thoughts.
Floh....I didnt realise Steve had made it to German tv.....he certainly was larger than life.
Theres talk of Steve being offered a state funeral which are only offered to our true ledgens and icons...its up to Terri to decide.Somehow I think she will decline..we,ll wait and see.

We must have being posting at the same time Floh:eek:

Floh said:
And finally, from me tonight,:

Calls grow for state funeral to honour Steve Irwin

Queensland Premier Peter Beattie says there has been an outpouring of sympathy for the family and many calls for the State Government to acknowledge Irwin's contribution to tourism and conservation.

Mr Beattie says a state funeral is one of several options being considered to recognise Irwin's work, but he will wait to hear the wishes of the conservationist's family before making any decisions.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200609/s1732886.htm

He was a great ambassador for Australia, i think. having said that, i believe Steve would have been humbled at the idea.
You bet.
Whatever Terri decides is fine with me.

My girls and I are just shocked at the news. We loved to watch Steve and hfamily on television. He did such wonderful work and showed my girls and I animals we wouldn't have seen otherwise and gave us information about them in such an enthusiastic way that it was so much fun to watch.

Bindi loves her dad so much and her love for animals is apparent. I believe that if Terri and the children stay in Australia, Bindi will grow up and follow in her father's footsteps. I remember the episode when she was born. Take care Terri, Bindi and Bob. Steve was loved by many.

This news is just devastating, I couldn't believe it when I first saw this on my computer this morning...my thoughts now are with his wife and children, I pray they find peace with this soon...

i heard this on the news, before i left for work this morning...i've never been a big fan, but my husband sure is...heartfelt sympathy goes out to Steve's family :(

This has really affected me, and I'm glad to see so many postings on Steve. I can't remember being so sad over a celebrity's death since Princess Diana. Both were too young, did great things, and had young children. They both died tragically. I think his death hits us hard because he brought our families together while watching his shows. We would all say how crazy he was, but we enjoyed him so much. I keep wanting this to not be true.

gardenmom said:
This has really affected me, and I'm glad to see so many postings on Steve. I can't remember being so sad over a celebrity's death since Princess Diana. Both were too young, did great things, and had young children. They both died tragically. I think his death hits us hard because he brought our families together while watching his shows. We would all say how crazy he was, but we enjoyed him so much. I keep wanting this to not be true.
I feel the same way, gardenmom. Animal Planet was one of the few TV channels that I let my kids watch----never had to worry about what they were going to see on it, and I never had to do a quick scramble for the remote control to change the channel.....so we spent alot of time watching the Crocodile Hunter. People who truly love animals--I just hold them in such high regard. I've been raising my kids to be animal lovers, as I am, and they do love and respect animals, and Steve helped contribute to that so much. For that, I thank him tremendously.

Animal Planet is showing the Croc Hunter right now---and Steve and Terri were discussing when they first met and their wedding. So sad!!! It's repulsive to me that a great man like him loses his life, yet scum like John Mark Karr are still breathing the air on this Earth!!!! :banghead:

Much love to his family...

gardenmom said:
This has really affected me, and I'm glad to see so many postings on Steve. I can't remember being so sad over a celebrity's death since Princess Diana.

gardenmom - i said the same thing to my husband today. i'm still emotional over princess di's death.

RIP Steve. i loved ya, mate!

You know I just re watched the video of Bob and Steve.Even his wife said We live in Croc country we need to teach Bob Savy about them. Bob was never in danger Steve would have been chomped first.
How many of us with little ones told the kids the stove was hot. But baby crying and picking them up in one arm and still stir the noodles on the stove.Different lives for all of us.And just because his job was dangerous doe that mean a Policeman after he marries gives the job up? Steve died doing what he loved to do.
Watching animal Planet right now. Bindi Sue had that man wrapped around her finger.Teri knew the risks of his job and never complained.
Steve you did good and you caused me to laff watching your adventures.
Teri and Bindi Sue and Bob Your dad love you all dearly. Yes he will be missed
Adding seeing Steves sense of humour I can see him seeing the Ray and saying Crikey I did it this time.

Sassygerl said:
...swimming with stingrays and petting them is a very peaceful thing...
Are you thinking of Manta Rays? They look similiar to stingrays. Here's a link.
http://www.ladyelliot.com.au/manta/manta-facts.html

I think people generally avoid sting rays because of their lethal tails.

I didn't enjoy watching Steve Irwin taunt the animals. I feel that wild animals/creatures will strike when they feel threatened. I can imagine that this stingray incident wasn't his first mishap with wildlife. Unfortunately, it was his last.

Here's an article with a few photos, to include one of his American wife. Forgive me if it has already been posted.

http://apnews1.iwon.com//article/20060904/D8JUA0Q00.html

RIP Steve - he had a dangerous job, and was good at it, and considerate of the animals he was working with. I think it's shameful if people hold the baby thing against him - he knew how crocs move, knew what was safe and what wasn't - it wasn't a good idea, but it wasn't anything horrible either.

I can't say I watched him much at all - but from all I've heard on this thread and from my husband, he was a great environmentalist, educator, and entertainer.

narlacat said:
You bet.
Whatever Terri decides is fine with me.
Whatever she decides......but when the State Funeral was mentioned.....I got the chills all over down to my fingertips....That would be wonderful....wouldn't it be matey's?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
habitsofwaste
Back