Steve Irwin, The Crocodile Hunter, Is Dead

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
kazzbar said:
I saw Fox where they tried to say that Steve had taken the barb out.this is not true as he would have known not to do this.Where do the 'media' get off with all this missinformation.Poor Steve.!
They got it from the videotape of the incident.

kazzbar said:
I saw Fox where they tried to say that Steve had taken the barb out.this is not true as he would have known not to do this.Where do the 'media' get off with all this missinformation.Poor Steve.!

Hi Kazzbar,

It is mentioned in this link that he pulled the barb out:

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,20349888-2,00.html

Also in that link Steve's great friend, John Stainton, is quoted, as having viewed the video footage. On CNN's Anderson Cooper earlier, I saw/heard Mr. Stainton say that he could not bear to view the footage. So I don't know .... :confused:

He pulled the barb out Kazz, it's true, then he died.
Can't help but wonder if his last thoughts were 'oh crikey'.
I just saw John Stainton on the news, he has watched the footage.

Irwin pulled barb out before death
Tuesday Sep 5 10:07 AEST

Fatally injured by a stingray, Steve Irwin pulled its barb out of his chest before losing consciousness, dramatic footage of his last moments reveals.

Friend John Stainton said the footage of the stingray attack which took the life of the Crocodile Hunter on the Great Barrier Reef was "shocking".

Mr Irwin, 44, died after the stingray barb punctured his chest while snorkelling off Port Douglas, in far north Queensland.

A cameraman captured the incident during filming for Irwin's new project with daughter Bindi, eight, that was to debut in the United States next year.

"I did see the footage and it's shocking," Mr Stainton told reporters in Cairns.

--> more at link:
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=127802

Two things in the article above and in the article I linked earlier totally contradict what Mr. Stainton said on CNN's Anderson Cooper 360°, which originally aired less than 8 hours ago.

I watched, and even recorded, the replay of the phone interview between Mr. Stainton and the host filling in for Anderson. On that phone interview, Stainton said it was "absolute rubbish" when asked if Steve had removed the ray's barb. Stainton also said he was unable (as in he couldn't bear) to view the footage and stated it was in the custody of police. I guess it must be attibuted to that 'bad phone connection' Mr. Stainton alluded to. :confused:

Have a question, does the barb detach itself from the stingray then grow another? Does say Irwin pulled the serrated barb from his chest...

Wikipedia had updated there encyclopedia already.
Irwin's attack and death is in it....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stingray

Aggression

Dasyatids generally do not attack aggressively, or even actively defend themselves. When threatened, their primary reaction is to swim away. However, when they are attacked by predators or stepped on, the barbed stinger in their tail is mechanically whipped up. This attack is normally ineffective against their main predator: sharks.[1] Humans are usually stung in the foot; it is also possible, although less likely, to be stung by brushing against the stinger. Contact with the stinger causes local trauma (from the cut itself), pain and swelling from the venom, and possible infection from parts of the stinger left in the wound. Injuries to humans include, but are not limited to: poisoning, punctures, severed arteries and possible death. Fatal stings, such as that which killed Australian naturalist and television personality Steve Irwin in 2006,[2] are extremely rare (as of 1996, worldwide known deaths from stingray barb injuries numbered 17),[3] but can occur if a stinger punctures the heart or chest, causing complications due to both the sting's location and the poison in the barbs. As of 2001 there has been only one person documented to have survived a stingray injury to the heart.[4]

Treatment for stings includes hot water (as hot as the victim can stand), which helps ease pain and break down the venom, and antibiotics. Other possible pain remedies include papain (papaya extract, contained in unseasoned powdered meat tenderizer), which may break down the protein of the toxins, though this may be more appropriate for jellyfish and similar stings. Folklore incorrectly holds that one should urinate on the stung area; in actuality, urine and vinegar are not effective treatments. [1] Pain normally lasts up to 48 hours but is most severe in the first 30–60 minutes and may be accompanied by nausea, fatigue, headaches, fever and chills

i watched a program last night, that was filmed in 2004....there was a short segment of Bindhi (sp?) talking about her daddy...omg, she's got to be the cutest little girl i've ever seen!...absolutely adorable & for 6 yrs old, (at the time) the most sparkling personality ..... i imagine Steve's death will be the hardest for her :(

there was a portion of the show where Steve talked about his own mama's death...it just broke my heart...

i believe that Steve knew that he'd die while dealing with animals/nature & was 'prepared' for it...i feel so bad for his children though...especially Bindhi..

narlacat said:
He pulled the barb out Kazz, it's true, then he died.
Can't help but wonder if his last thoughts were 'oh crikey'.
I just saw John Stainton on the news, he has watched the footage.

Did you notice how swollen his eyes were from crying? The clip here of Stainton talking about what happened showed him with a cap pulled down over his eyes but you could tell his eyes were red and swollen. :(

kazzbar said:

Oh, I bet he knew. He knew so much about animals of all kinds. And he may have been dazed and just pulled it out without thinking about it at all. He was so brave, even in his last moments. It was in the footage so it has to be true.

englishleigh said:
Did you notice how swollen his eyes were from crying? The clip here of Stainton talking about what happened showed him with a cap pulled down over his eyes but you could tell his eyes were red and swollen. :(
When he started talking about him being a dad he just lost it! SO SAD!

LinetteH said:
When he started talking about him being a dad he just lost it! SO SAD!

I missed that part but I think I'm glad I did. :( I still can't believe this happened.

My dad just emailed me and we were writing back and forth talking about the Croc Hunter's death, and he reminded me how much my youngest brother, now 20, loved watching Steve as a kid. In fact, I have a distinct memory of him telling me, when he was about 4-5, that he wanted to be an "alligator farmer" so he could be like Steve Irwin. My little brother is now in college, and going to be a veterinarian, and my dad and I were saying that we bet Steve Irwin was part of his inspiration for choosing that career path.

Thank you, Steve, on behalf of my brother.

englishleigh said:
My dad just emailed me and we were writing back and forth talking about the Croc Hunter's death, and he reminded me how much my youngest brother, now 20, loved watching Steve as a kid. In fact, I have a distinct memory of him telling me, when he was about 4-5, that he wanted to be an "alligator farmer" so he could be like Steve Irwin. My little brother is now in college, and going to be a veterinarian, and my dad and I were saying that we bet Steve Irwin was part of his inspiration for choosing that career path.

Thank you, Steve, on behalf of my brother.
Awesome post.

I am watchin Regis and Kelly now and they are talking about it, Kelly had a lot of pics of all of them together and they were friends, she was starting to cry. Its so sad.:( They are having a little tribute to him now.

I took Dark Shadows, or was it Dark Knights,.......well........I took the advice and turned on Animal Planet last night.
It was such a tribute. It showed from his early life with the animals, gosh...he was brave then too. It told the history of his family. It ran along in a wonderful journey ... childhood, how they met, marriage, and Bindy's birth...
My it is very tearful to watch. He even said that he would like to be remembered for his "passion and enthusiasm" while working with the conservation. At one point he looked into the camera and said something like this......not actual quote.......I do this for you, so you can get up close and personal with the animals along with me. So we can study the animals together. His face being about 2 inches from the camera.
Such a wonderful "people" person. He loved his animals and the people he was doing this for.
My sister and her daughter were crying yesterday......and I think that there are tears all over the world. I know we have a few other TV people that are out there. One I saw in person(Corbin) at a TV show......But, just no one has Steves wide-eyed, jester, enthusiasm, and talent......this man is irreplaceable.

He was a crazy maniac - lovable to the end. My heart breaks for his wife and kids. Gotta wonder why people like this get killed so young. May he rest in peace!!

Its so heartbreaking here watching the TV and seeing all the kids crying.

Steve actually visited a lot of schools and also had Educational packs made for primary school aged kids, so aussie kids just love Steve.

Those educational packs were about the dangers of our aussie wildlife and the what/ how/whens the kids should do if they where in or confronted with danger.

Depending on the ages of the kids, these packs contained projects, work sheets, videos plus a teachers manual on how to teach the kids etc

They were fantastic and the kids absolutely loved them
I used these educational packs with special needs kids and they just made learning so much fun for the kids.

I would like to state too that these edu packs were designed/created by Steve and Terri for the sole purpose of educating young kids to the dangers and risks of our wildlife and they did this FREE of charge for the education department.

Steve was an over-the-top type personality but he always admitted that and being a drongo really helped get peoples attention :crazy:

He had a huge heart and totally loved his family.

I'm so glad i came back on here today because after reading here yesterday those few posts about him being an idiot, about the "putting bob in danger BS" and also accusing him of being cruel to animals, I actually left WS in a huge snit and in tears.

So its now nice to see posts by people who actually saw the man as he really was .. a True-Blue Aussie drongo with a huge heart, a loving/adoring dad, husband, son and mate and a true animal lover/activist. A true aussie icon who will be missed

~aussieblue

PS I keep wondering if Terri will OK it for a state funeral, some how i think Steve would have not wanted the fuss. He would probably say "CRIKEY just donate some money to the wildlife fund". :)

michelle said:
I am watchin Regis and Kelly now and they are talking about it, Kelly had a lot of pics of all of them together and they were friends, she was starting to cry. Its so sad.:( They are having a little tribute to him now.
I watched that too and my eyes watered all up again. I'm sure Kelly and her kids will treasure those pictures forever. The tribute to him left both Regis and Kelly speechless. I think Regis said something like, "where do we go from here?" as tho there wasn't much else to talk about. I also watched Animal Planet last night for 3 hrs!!! I'm still walking around in a daze that this great compassionate person is gone.

Steve Irwin was a father, a brother, a son, a husband, a friend, a conservationist, a educator, and yes, a risk taker. He was a larger than life in many ways. He also was human meaning he felt the same feelings of love and joy, of happiness of sadness of fear and excitement. He also made good and poor decisions ..just as we all do. It seems that now is a time to remember all the great things about him not focus on those brief moments of bad choices or the risks that he took. For without those moments we would lose some of the essential intangible qualities that made Steve Irwin larger than life and brought so much focus to the evironmentalist and educational activites of his... without that personality, those risks.. it would have just been another animal show..

The world and environment lost a lot with his death.. but his family and friends have lost so much more. My deepest condolences to those who loved him. :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Teemariee
Back