Steven Avery & Brendan Dassey get new representation

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Not to dissuade from what Malli said, I watched a program on ID where the Innocence Project was involved. Barry Scheck (?) was interviewed. He stated they roughly go through the same process but he said they would review all the court records prior to accepting any case. His organization would look to see if biological evidence was collected but not tested. They would also talk to the defendant but the determining fact for taking on a case was made prior to accepting the case and only after all the court records were reviewed.

Yes, as I mentioned, in my meaning of 'taking on a case is not always taking on a case'. In theory people believe you have taken on a case from the moment you request those documents, what I meant was as you quoted, that this is not always the case. It is not the definitive moment of the case going forward until all these documents have been combed through.

The DNA part is very important in older cases as the ones we worked with Princeton. (I don't know if I can say this, because we are very PC in the UK, and I know this is sensitive to some people so feel free to mod if I can't say this- but usually our US convictions were really old convictions and 80% of them were black men who had been prosecuted in the most part, we believed, because of their race. This is usually where DNA evidence was so important to us because it usually hadn't been tested and would exonerate).

First of all, the 'glove' did fit, OJ Simpson play acted and had a pair of latex gloves on and he made sure that glove wouldn't fit. A few of the jurors in their book said they didn't believe that spectacle by Simpson or Cochran and didn't give any weight to it. So you can put that to rest. That glove *did* fit. And he did own those "ugly *advertiser censored* shoes," the ones he said he would never own or wear. Pictures taken 10 months before the murder prove that very fact.

The only way LE found out what happened to Teresa was through their interviews with Branden Dassey. Until he told them, they had no idea what all went down that day. All they knew was TH showed up, took her pictures, gave SA the receipt and was never seen alive again. Her charred remains were found in the burn pit in SA's yard. What were they to think?

Now we can say Brendan made it all up under pressure and none of it can be believed, but without hearing what Brendan had to say, the investigators wouldn't all be saying anything about what happened during her visit as they wouldn't have known those details.

Without the investigators Brendan would not have known the details either. IMO.

IMO, Zellner's biggest obstacle might be explaining away the *67 calls before TH arrived on 10/31 and then the 4:35 regular call to TH's cell phone after TH had supposedly left.

Wonder if Avery was ever asked by investigators about the calls ?

Day 1, page 128 ... opening statements:

5 What we do know is that someone sees her

6 later. And Steven Avery calls her later, as a

7 matter of fact, from his cell phone. Again, he

8 calls her cell phone at about 4:35 that

9 afternoon. Why, because he thought, I have got

10 another car I would like to sell. I might as

11 well, if she's still around, or if she can swing

12 back, I might as well have her shoot that one

13 too.

14 But he doesn't get an answer from her,

15 doesn't answer the phone, when he calls at 4:35.

16 He sticks around.

So that is as close as we are going to get to an explanation. Strang goes on to say that Jodi called a land line phone at 5:30 and 9pm. There is another answer, yes he did have a land line, which I think most of us assumed since Jodi had to call collect and you can't call a cell collect.

ETA: I have copied this to the 3 phone calls thread so we don't hijack this thread, sorry. http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?298353-The-3-Phone-calls

Poor Stevie. Everybody was and/or is out to get him. Please. His pathetic attempt at an alibi backfires, so his advocates engage in wild leaps of logic. Avery calls Halbach's employer twice using Star 67, and then calls a 3rd time inquiring as to why Halbach has not shown up for her scheduled photo shoot. Avery is subsequently interviewed by a local TV station and admits that Halbach DID show up for the appointment. While awaiting trial, Avery admits to Nancy Grace in a televised phone interview that Halbach DID show up for the appointment. In terms of the timeline of the bonfire in Avery's yard, he responds to a profanity laced phone call from his sister by admitting that her son left his residence around 9 PM. What were these two poor innocent souls doing prior to Dassey returning to his residence? According to Avery, they were watching the bonfire in Avery's yard.

Avery supporters question whether there was enough time to burn Halbach's body to the point where only bones were left. They ignore the fact that tires were found entwined with the bones. If Avery began setting the fire shortly after he made the 3rd phone call to Halbach's employer, there would be plenty of time for Halbach's body to be destroyed. In essence, we're talking about a MINIMUM of 4 hours burning time with assistance from debris that literally melted around Halbach's bones. In order to sell the conspiracy narrative put forth by Avery's advocates, one would have to argue that mythical murderers would burn Halbach's body in another location, move her bones to Avery's fire pit, and hope that Avery wouldn't notice the 270 bones in his fire pit prior to setting his bonfire.

Unfortunately, the two documentary filmmakers have managed to manipulate a majority of their audience into believing in this mythical conspiracy AND to ignore key inculpatory evidence in this case. This includes Avery's Touch DNA being found under the hood of Halbach's vehicle; the license plates from that vehicle being found inside another vehicle on Avery's compound; items from Halbach's handbag were found in a burn barrel located 20 feet from Avery's front door; the tool used to mutilate Halbach's corpse was found in the fire pit; a portion of Halbach's pants were found in that same fire pit; etc., etc., etc.

It's important to note that during Avery's trial, two women came forward and accused Avery of raping them in 2004. These women didn't know one another, yet they provided law enforcement with the same reason why they didn't come forward in 2004. Both women stated that Avery threatened to kill them and their entire family if they notified law enforcement. These are allegations, but it corroborates the claim from Avery's ex-fiance that he threated to kill her and her entire family if she didn't portray him as Mr. Nice Guy. This also speaks to Avery's penchant for deviant behavior. Brenden Dassey told his mother that Avery had touched him in his private parts and Avery set a cat on fire prior to his rape conviction in 1985.

Avery was wrongfully convicted of rape in 1985. That injustice, however, has no REAL connection with the murder of Teresa Halbach. The evidence, both concrete and circumstantial, prove beyond all doubt that Steven Avery murdered Teresa Halbach. Avery supporters claim that there is no evidence of his guilt, but the evidence presented at trial has passed muster with a district court judge, 3 circuit court judges, and the Wisconsin Supreme Court.

Poor Stevie. Everybody was and/or is out to get him. Please. His pathetic attempt at an alibi backfires, so his advocates engage in wild leaps of logic. Avery calls Halbach's employer twice using Star 67, and then calls a 3rd time inquiring as to why Halbach has not shown up for her scheduled photo shoot. Avery is subsequently interviewed by a local TV station and admits that Halbach DID show up for the appointment. While awaiting trial, Avery admits to Nancy Grace in a televised phone interview that Halbach DID show up for the appointment. In terms of the timeline of the bonfire in Avery's yard, he responds to a profanity laced phone call from his sister by admitting that her son left his residence around 9 PM. What were these two poor innocent souls doing prior to Dassey returning to his residence? According to Avery, they were watching the bonfire in Avery's yard.

Avery supporters question whether there was enough time to burn Halbach's body to the point where only bones were left. They ignore the fact that tires were found entwined with the bones. If Avery began setting the fire shortly after he made the 3rd phone call to Halbach's employer, there would be plenty of time for Halbach's body to be destroyed. In essence, we're talking about a MINIMUM of 4 hours burning time with assistance from debris that literally melted around Halbach's bones. In order to sell the conspiracy narrative put forth by Avery's advocates, one would have to argue that mythical murderers would burn Halbach's body in another location, move her bones to Avery's fire pit, and hope that Avery wouldn't notice the 270 bones in his fire pit prior to setting his bonfire.

Unfortunately, the two documentary filmmakers have managed to manipulate a majority of their audience into believing in this mythical conspiracy AND to ignore key inculpatory evidence in this case. This includes Avery's Touch DNA being found under the hood of Halbach's vehicle; the license plates from that vehicle being found inside another vehicle on Avery's compound; items from Halbach's handbag were found in a burn barrel located 20 feet from Avery's front door; the tool used to mutilate Halbach's corpse was found in the fire pit; a portion of Halbach's pants were found in that same fire pit; etc., etc., etc.

It's important to note that during Avery's trial, two women came forward and accused Avery of raping them in 2004. These women didn't know one another, yet they provided law enforcement with the same reason why they didn't come forward in 2004. Both women stated that Avery threatened to kill them and their entire family if they notified law enforcement. These are allegations, but it corroborates the claim from Avery's ex-fiance that he threated to kill her and her entire family if she didn't portray him as Mr. Nice Guy. This also speaks to Avery's penchant for deviant behavior. Brenden Dassey told his mother that Avery had touched him in his private parts and Avery set a cat on fire prior to his rape conviction in 1985.

Avery was wrongfully convicted of rape in 1985. That injustice, however, has no REAL connection with the murder of Teresa Halbach. The evidence, both concrete and circumstantial, prove beyond all doubt that Steven Avery murdered Teresa Halbach. Avery supporters claim that there is no evidence of his guilt, but the evidence presented at trial has passed muster with a district court judge, 3 circuit court judges, and the Wisconsin Supreme Court.

There are only 206 bones in the adult human body.

Using the fact that a district court judge, 3 circuit court judges, and the Wisconsin Supreme Court agree that he is guilty is basically a non-argument, because the exact same thing happened in the case where he was eventually exonerated.

I think it's very possible SA killed TH, but I believe evidence was planted. They wanted to make sure a conviction would stick so they went overboard, which now puts everything in question.

That's probably true. SA, with his very qualified, seasoned, and committed defense team, still was convicted. And that jury did hear a defense case in which alleged tampering, possible planting, and conspiracy was introduced during cross examination of state witnesses. Yet that jury still voted unanimously to convict.

IMO, Brendan's confessions would have been tossed with an experienced lawyer(s) due to vast inconsistencies. That's where Zellner will eat them alive ...

IMO, Brendan's confessions would have been tossed with an experienced lawyer(s) due to vast inconsistencies. That's where Zellner will eat them alive ...

I think she'll get some good traction there (with BD's case).

However, SA's guilt doesn't depend totally on BD's version of events. The physical evidence doesn't go away. SA absolutely had the means and opportunity, as he was without a doubt with TH that afternoon. And she was never heard from again and her cell phone was never used again. Circumstantial evidence for sure, but it's compelling and can't just be ignored.

I am pretty sure Brendan's "confession" was not used in Avery's trial.

You are correct, but they were surely used @ Brendan's. As I understand it, Zellner will be tackling both men's convictions.

I think she/he means if Brendan had high priced lawyers for his trial as SA did, and not public defenders; who seem to have their own agenda anyways.

Once again, the chain of custody means absolutely nothing on the RAV4 when it was found on the Avery lot. If blood evidence was planted, it could have easily been done overnight under the cover of darkness before Pam Sturm "found" it and when the Avery's were up at the cabin in Crivitz.

Oh, and how do we know the key found in Avery's bedroom was not the SPARE key and someone else had the working set TH was using ?

And more about the key from Katheen Zellner ....

https://twitter.com/ZellnerLaw/status/690366573996064768

She is probably right. Steven Avery could have quiet possibly tried to wipe any trace of Teresa off that key by rubbing it on his clothes.

Sure, makes sense. Steven cleaned the key of all TH's DNA and left his own on it. Probably never thought LE would actually try the key on the RAV4.

No, it reeks of something far more sinister and Zellner knows it.

IMO, all of the attempts to poke holes in concrete chain of custody documentation/testimony lack merit, and are merely speculation presented as fact. The burden is now on Steven Avery to prove these claims. Avery nor his advocates have come close to proving their mythical conspiracy narratives. Even their strongest "proof" of a conspiracy lacks any tangible corroboration. The key found in Avery's trailer contains Avery's Touch DNA rather than a DNA profile from his blood. How does law enforcement place Avery's Touch DNA on that key? If they planted Avery's blood in Halbach's vehicle, why not place a minute amount of his blood on the key? I've always embraced the KISS theory when it comes to true crime cases and this case needs a healthy dose of that theory.

Yeah cause K. Zellner always takes cases that "lack merit". I'm sure she is just another, "Avery advocate" unicorn chaser with poor critical thinking skills, putting her reputation on the line for her 15 minutes of fame... /s

Yeah cause K. Zellner always takes cases that "lack merit". I'm sure she is just another, "Avery advocate" unicorn chaser with poor critical thinking skills, putting her reputation on the line for her 15 minutes of fame... /s

Then where has she been for the last 9 years?

Then where has she been for the last 9 years?

Working maybe? She primarily works to exonerate death row inmates. Perhaps the national outrage over this case has illuminated the gross injustice, and she saw the opportunity to make a real difference in the sytem by stepping up.

She certainly doesn't need the fame, or the cash, she clearly expresses her belief that SA is innocent and that evidence was planted.

s/ What a "sucker" she must be huh? /s

You are correct, but they were surely used @ Brendan's. As I understand it, Zellner will be tackling both men's convictions.

The Center of Wrongful Convictions of Youth is handling Dassey's case. Zellner is only doing Avery's. The confessions were used only in Dassey's trial.

The Center of Wrongful Convictions of Youth is handling Dassey's case. Zellner is only doing Avery's. The confessions were used only in Dassey's trial.

As of now ... but if Avery is exonerated, what do you think will happen to BD ?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gretyr
Back