Steven Avery & Brendan Dassey get new representation

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Can she use the DNA reports to maybe run some DNA matches in the database? Maybe someone that has since been put into the database, since 2006/7?
I really don't know how that all works LOL There are also fingerprints that were unidentified. Could they have been run again?

I order for her to come up with anything solid right now would require two things. One, a complete DNA profile on evidence that hasn't been attributed to anyone yet. Two, access to run that profile through a database with DNA profiles of government employees. The second would require her to get a court order.

You know... Years ago I remember this story about a guy who was collecting random samples of used gum, cigarette butts, empty soda cans, etc. He created a program that could take the DNA samples and create pictures of people. The pictures were extremely accurate. If she had a random sample on something but no database to run it against she could (in theory) get that guy to run the sample to see what the donor looked like at least.

Thanks Sinsaint! Interesting about creating a picture with DNA :)

After seeing KZ interviewed in the special last night it made me think a couple of things. First of all, I feel that she knows something. I do not believe she would have taken this case and been as vocal about it as she has if she didn't feel that he was innocent. Not that she would get him off on some technicality, but that he is INNOCENT. In that he simply did not do it. This woman is smart as a whip and he could not ask for a better person to have in his corner at this time.

She also seems like she has evidence that things were planted and feels very strongly that she can prove it. She is speaking to 2 sets of people when she speaks. 1.) The real perp and 2.) law enforcement and/or people close to the investigation. If anyone is out there who is watching this and is the real killer or planted evidence, they must be seriously shaking in their shoes - or at least they ought to be. She is like a dog with a bone and she will not stop until she uncovers the truth.

Teresa Halbach deserves better than this. She deserved the Monitowoc County Sheriff's Department to stay as far away from this investigation as humanely possible. But they didn't. They acted with the same hubris they did in the first case. Their entitlement to being the heroes has caused this documentary to create the reaction it has. Without their participation, there would be no documentary. There would be no reason to think that unrelated LEOs would have tampered with evidence, etc...

I am so happy that KZ is on board now, because I truly believe that she will uncover the truth.

After seeing KZ interviewed in the special last night it made me think a couple of things. First of all, I feel that she knows something. I do not believe she would have taken this case and been as vocal about it as she has if she didn't feel that he was innocent. Not that she would get him off on some technicality, but that he is INNOCENT. In that he simply did not do it. This woman is smart as a whip and he could not ask for a better person to have in his corner at this time.

She also seems like she has evidence that things were planted and feels very strongly that she can prove it. She is speaking to 2 sets of people when she speaks. 1.) The real perp and 2.) law enforcement and/or people close to the investigation. If anyone is out there who is watching this and is the real killer or planted evidence, they must be seriously shaking in their shoes - or at least they ought to be. She is like a dog with a bone and she will not stop until she uncovers the truth.

Teresa Halbach deserves better than this. She deserved the Monitowoc County Sheriff's Department to stay as far away from this investigation as humanely possible. But they didn't. They acted with the same hubris they did in the first case. Their entitlement to being the heroes has caused this documentary to create the reaction it has. Without their participation, there would be no documentary. There would be no reason to think that unrelated LEOs would have tampered with evidence, etc...

I am so happy that KZ is on board now, because I truly believe that she will uncover the truth.

I'm not so sure she knows who the real perp is ... KZ got Ryan Ferguson out of jail and Kent Heitholt's murder is still unsolved. In any event, I do believe she has new evidence and plans on retesting all a lot of which was already "tested". And I agree that KZ does believe SA is innocent and would not get him off on a technicality.

I'm not so sure she knows who the real perp is ... KZ got Ryan Ferguson out of jail and Kent Heitholt's murder is still unsolved. In any event, I do believe she has new evidence and plans on retesting all a lot of which was already "tested". And I agree that KZ does believe SA is innocent and would not get him off on a technicality.

Well, I think everyone kind of already knows who killed KH. (Didn't he actually die though?) But who knows. I think she firmly believes that SA is innocent. When I learned she took the case, I told my family he'd be home for Christmas 2016.

Well, I think everyone kind of already knows who killed KH. (Didn't he actually die though?) But who knows. I think she firmly believes that SA is innocent. When I learned she took the case, I told my family he'd be home for Christmas 2016.

did you follow that TheDuchess? It is believed that it could be EWE, right? I never followed the case, but might have to watch the documentary.

If you read that article on KZ and who she is, she has PERSONAL REASONS for why she will ONLY work cases on which she WHOLE HEARTEDLY believes her client is INNOCENT.
She stated she can NEVER again, allow herself to defend a GUILTY person.
When she gets SA released, it will be because because she indeed found proof he is innocent, my opinion of course =)

Interesting for sure.

I for one, can't understand WHY these avenues aren't looked into THOROUGHLY, in the beginning?

BEFORE a person is convicted, possibly for LIFE. or even EXECUTED.:banghead:

We all KNOW ( if we didn't, we sure do after this case ) how DIFFICULT it is to have such cases appealed.

Sad thought, to think of what these innocent men MUST have felt.:(

Thankful, for awesome Defense Attorneys

( Says a lot for me. Was always told I should be a prosecutor growing up, as I HATED to see anyone get away with anything! Defense Attorney's were scum and only represented the guilty. Wow, just rereading this as I ramble:shame:
I am ashamed to say, until this case, I did not PAY CLOSE ENOUGH ATTENTION to the injustice that happens all over in our country. )

Our SYSTEM NEEDS FIXING, IMO
I think this man is a much better suspect: (but he is actually still alive, I believe)
http://www.freecharleserickson.org/MichaelBoyd.html

The Charles Erickson case was tragic because this young man couldn't remember what he did that Halloween night after he and Ryan Ferguson went to the bar, and 2 years later Erickson convinced himself he must have killed that man because he thought the sketch artist's rendition looked like him, he couldn't remember anything, he knew he was high and drunk that night, he was paranoid (from the drugs he was taking), and he started telling people he thought he might have had something to do with that crime. Someone reported Erickson to police and the rest was history. Talk about throwing yourself under the bus. And he took poor Ryan with him. Again it was false eyewitness testimony (along with Erickson taking a guilty plea and testifying against Ryan) that obtained the conviction. We know eye witness testimony can be wrong, so maybe the system needs to change to where there must be another corroborating piece of evidence to obtain a conviction. Eye witness alone shouldn't be enough to prove guilt.

This was posted on reddit and I thought it was interesting and a good quick summary of KZ's past cases

From Wikipedia:
Ronnie Bullock spent over 10 years in prison for the kidnapping and rape of a 9-year-old girl and a 12-year-old girl. DNA testing revealed that he was not the culprit.

Joseph Burrows spent nearly five years on death row until Zellner persuaded the real killer to confess at a post-conviction hearing.

Billy Wardell spent over 10 years in prison for robbery and sexual assault. He was exonerated in 1997 when Zellner convinced prosecutors to agree to DNA testing. It cleared him as the perpetrator.

Omar Saunders, Marcellius Bradford, Larry Ollins, and Calvin Ollins were convicted of the kidnapping, rape, and murder of Lori Roscetti , 23-year-old medical student. Bradford served six years in prison following a plea deal, but Saunders and the Ollins cousins had served nearly 15 years in prison before DNA testing was conducted that cleared all four men of the crimes.

Kevin Fox was imprisoned for eight months for the murder of his daughter, Riley. Zellner represented Fox until he was cleared by DNA evidence. He won a $15.5 million civil verdict against the government, which was reduced to $8.1 million on appeal.

Harold Hill and Dan Young were convicted of the 1990 rape and murder of Kathy Morgan. DNA testing performed in 2004 led to the release of both Hill and Young in 2005.

Alprentiss Nash spent more than 17 years in prison for the murder of Leon Stroud. In 2010, Zellner convinced the Illinois Court of Appeals to order DNA testing of the ski mask worn by the perpetrator. This testing led to Nash's exoneration. It matched the real killer, who was already serving time for an unrelated drug crime. A federal civil rights lawsuit against the city of Chicago is pending.

Cesar Munoz was convicted of the 1997 murder of his girlfriend, Magdaliz Rosario. Zellner's firm represented Munoz and won his acquittal in June 2013 after the fourth trial. (The first trial resulted in a hung jury, and the second two resulted in convictions but were reversed on appeal.)

Lathierial Boyd served 23 years in prison for the murder of Michael Fleming and the attempted murder of Ricky Warner. His conviction was vacated in 2013 based on evidence of his innocence and prosecutors withholding exculpatory evidence. A $20 million civil rights lawsuit against the city of Chicago and several police officers is pending in federal court.

Ryan Ferguson was arrested in 2004 for the 2001 murder of Columbia Tribune sports editor Kent Heitholt. He was convicted and sentenced to prison. He was released in November 2013 after Zellner and her firm convinced the only two witnesses against Ferguson, Charles Erickson and Jerry Trump, to admit that they had lied at trial. A $100 million civil rights lawsuit against Boone County, Missouri, the prosecutor, police officers, and others is pending in federal court.

Jerry Hobbs spent five years in jail for the murder of his young daughter and her friend. In 2010, DNA testing led to the apprehension of the real killer. After obtaining his release, Zellner filed a civil rights lawsuit on his behalf, which settled for $7.75 million.

James Edwards was convicted of two murders as the result of a false confession. He was exonerated for the murder of Fred Reckling after Zellner filed a motion for DNA testing; the results cleared Edwards as the murderer. Zellner is challenging his other murder conviction, as it was based on the same confession shown to be false because the DNA evidence excluded him as the perpetrator.

Mario Casciaro was released in September of 2015 after serving four years for the murder of a teenager. The Illinois Second District Appellate Court reversed Casciaro's conviction for intimidation murder. The court ruled that the state had failed to prove the elements of intimidation and that none of the forensic evidence matched the state's theory presented to the jury at Casciaro's second trial. The first trial had resulted in a hung jury.

ETA: Looks like maybe three cases could be argued to have not been conclusive:

Munoz (won acquittal after 4th trial);

Boyd (conviction vacated due to evidence of innocence and prosecution withholding exculpatory evidence);

Casciaro (lack of evidence and evidence didn't match state's theory in second trial).

https://www.reddit.com/r/MakingaMurderer/comments/44az8g/zellners_previous_exonerations/

He had another felony conviction previous to the wrongful rape conviction.

I think the Avery case is much more difficult that any exoneration she has won before. Those cases were about false eye witness identification or the convicted not leaving DNA at the scene and the DNA of the real killer was not tested. In Avery's case his DNA was found, so she will have to disprove it. It's a completely different ballgame if you ask me and not easy.

http://decider.com/2016/02/11/making-a-murderer-luminol-testing-may-release-steven-avery/

Since the docu-series aired, Avery has hired a new attorney, Kathleen Zellner, who specializes in exoneration. To date, Zellner has been instrumental to releasing 17 men in wrongful conviction cases and, according to her website, has righted more wrongful convictions in her 20 years than any other private attorney in America. The news about Zellner’s luminol approach was released through Making a Murderer’s Twitter account:

https://twitter.com/MakingAMurdererMaking A Murderer ‏@MakingAMurderer Feb 10
Steven Avery's new attorney @ZellnerLaw plans to use advanced luminol testing to exonerate Avery.

From the above link:

According to the woman in the clip that had lunch with Zellner: She (Zellner) is confident that Mr.Avery's conviction will be vacated and that the real killer will be exposed.

Nice to finally hear from Zellner!

ETA: Nice to hear that she is thinking of Brendan Dassey too.

Looking forward to it.

ESPECIALLY the REAL killer being EXPOSED!

Teresa deserves as much, IMO
From the above link:

According to the woman in the clip that had lunch with Zellner: She (Zellner) is confident that Mr.Avery's conviction will be vacated and that the real killer will be exposed.

Nice to finally hear from Zellner!

ETA: Nice to hear that she is thinking of Brendan Dassey too.

Sure that's possible too. SA has the burden to prove innocence since the appellate court did not overturn on any legal errors. Beliefs are not considered evidence and they're not proof. It comes down to evidence and that's what SA needs. As for the rifle, I don't recall SA claiming anyone else shot it; he had control of that weapon.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atriumproperties
Back