Steven Avery: Guilty of Teresa Halbach's Murder?

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Is Steven Avery responsible for the murder of Teresa Halbach?

• He did it

Votes: 253 29.7%
  • Some other guy did it

Votes: 67 7.9%
  • Looks guilty at this point

Votes: 74 8.7%
  • Not guilty based on evidence I've seen thus far

Votes: 195 22.9%
  • Undecided, but believe new trial is in order

Votes: 254 29.8%
  • Undecided all around; more information required

Votes: 55 6.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
This key was found after Avery's trailer had been entered multiple times. The first entry was a 10-minute sweep of the entire trailer, performed on November 5th after Teresa's car was found. This was just a cursory search to find any signs of Teresa alive. At 7:30pm on November 5th, officers again entered the trailer and searched for 2.5 hours, seizing around 50 pieces of evidence. They ended the search around 10:30pm, due to the late hour and bad weather. On November 6th, officers again entered the trailer for about 20 minutes, with a list of specific items to collect. The list included weapons, a vacuum cleaner, and bedding from the spare bedroom, noted the night before. This entry did not constitute a search, merely a collection of items previously noted. Also on November 6th, members of the State Crime Lab used special lighting to search the trailer for DNA evidence, and collected swabs from a few spots of blood found. (These were later matched to Steven Avery.) On the morning of November 8th, officers again entered the trailer for seven minutes. Their purpose was only to collect the serial number from Avery's computer, and they did not enter the bedroom. Also on November 8th, officers entered and spent three hours and 43 minutes doing a thorough search of the trailer. This was the search during which the key was located, and was a continuation of the search ended at 10:30pm on November 5.

Was evidence planted?

Series 2 is certainly demonstrating how evidence could have been planted /misconstrued, and someone else could have accessed the property. I've always thought that someone on the property had to have done it. Only 3 episodes in but l believe a new theory will be presented ( no spoilers please! )

IMO to figure out why Avery was more than likely set up for TH's murder we can find the answers to that in SA's previous wrongful conviction.
To think Avery's civil case against Manitowoc county and certain police officers was soon to be heard in court for Avery's wrongful conviction and what that was about to expose. So IMO it wasn't just about the money, but the public exposure of corrupt cops in manitowoc and the consequences that would have for them. All IMO

(quote)
On Nov. 8, 2005, after Lenk and Colborn were inside their murder suspect's bedroom, a spare key for the victim's RAV4 was found on the carpet next to Avery's bed. The key was later determined to contain Avery's DNA. Only weeks before Halbach vanished, Colborn was questioned by civil rights lawyers as part of Avery's $36 million lawsuit against Manitowoc County. Teresa Halbach's regular set of car keys, as well as her house keys, have never been found. Colborn and Lenk and a sergeant from Calumet County had previously spent several hours inside of the Avery bedroom, days earlier, and the spare key was not on the floor.
'Making A Murderer' Manitowoc County Deputy Colborn Retires

IMO to figure out why Avery was more than likely set up for TH's murder we can find the answers to that in SA's previous wrongful conviction.
To think Avery's civil case against Manitowoc county and certain police officers was soon to be heard in court for Avery's wrongful conviction and what that was about to expose. So IMO it wasn't just about the money, but the public exposure of corrupt cops in manitowoc and the consequences that would have for them. All IMO
and somewhere lost in the pages of the avery show is a murder of young woman simply out in the field doing her job.

it is very sad what Teresa's murder has become.

the evidence is there.
avery did it.
what isn't there is evidence somebody else did it and framed him.
what also sadly isn't there is the ridiculous narrative the prosecution put forward to allow this defense loop holes.

From the same article
(quote)
Colborn was also involved in a controversy surrounding Steven Avery's 1985 wrongful conviction for a brutal rape committed by a dangerous Manitowoc sexual predator named Gregory Allen. In 1995, when Colborn worked inside the Manitowoc County Jail, a detective in Green Bay called to explain that an inmate had confessed to committing a rape in Manitowoc County. However, Colborn did not vigorously pursue the matter at the time. The end result of Colborn's inaction was that Avery remained wrongfully imprisoned for another eight years. He was finally exonerated through DNA testing in September 2003.

and somewhere lost in the pages of the avery show is a murder of young woman simply out in the field doing her job.

it is very sad what Teresa's murder has become.

the evidence is there.
avery did it.
what isn't there is evidence somebody else did it and framed him.
what also sadly isn't there is the ridiculous narrative the prosecution put forward to allow this defense loop holes.

BBM, Yes, a gross miscarriage of Justice for the victim and others as well, and the fact that two innocent people are more than likely imprisoned because of it all, IMO

BBM, Yes, a gross miscarriage of Justice for the victim and others as well, and the fact that two innocent people are more than likely imprisoned because of it all, IMO

the point I was making was it should be about Teresa but see....what you did....you made it about avery sympathy seeking.
'two people are more than likely imprisoned because of it all" is exactly the avery circus the focus constantly becomes.

that is THE travesty here imo

@k-mac Just wanna say.... Although I don't completely agree with you about guilt/innocence, I do appreciate that you at least acknowledge that the State's narrative was crazy. It is crazy to me that they still insist that this is what happened, even KK still pushes it. I have always thought it was sad that Teresa's family was told that is what happened and they are left with those thoughts when they think of Teresa's last moments.

@k-mac Just wanna say.... Although I don't completely agree with you about guilt/innocence, I do appreciate that you at least acknowledge that the State's narrative was crazy. It is crazy to me that they still insist that this is what happened, even KK still pushes it. I have always thought it was sad that Teresa's family was told that is what happened and they are left with those thoughts when they think of Teresa's last moments.
yes it does drive me nuts missy.
just give me the facts!
no dot joining!

it wasn't necessary. there was plenty to put him away with.
muddied the waters unnecessarily imo

the point I was making was it should be about Teresa but see....what you did....you made it about avery sympathy seeking.
'two people are more than likely imprisoned because of it all" is exactly the avery circus the focus constantly becomes.

that is THE travesty here imo

It is about seeking real Justice. That is my point.
The thread title is:
"Is Steven Avery guilty of Teresa Halbach's Murder"?, And that is what is being discussed here.

yes it does drive me nuts missy.
just give me the facts!
no dot joining!

it wasn't necessary. there was plenty to put him away with.
muddied the waters unnecessarily imo

So in your opinion what are the actual facts?, seeing as the so called facts are so questionable in this case, as has been pointed out by KZ's investigations with what she has found?
I would think everyone wants the Truth don't they?

It is about seeking real Justice. That is my point.
The thread title is:
"Is Steven Avery guilty of Teresa Halbach's Murder"?, And that is what is being discussed here.
yes true!
fair call :)

So in your opinion what are the actual facts?, seeing as the so called facts are so questionable in this case, as has been pointed out by KZ's investigations with what she has found?
I would think everyone wants the Truth don't they?
well since you ask lol....so

its pretty clear I am comfortable with the evidence found and as presented.
I baulk at the dot filling.(both sides)
and I baulk at the conspiracy. because it just involves way too many hoops to get through, way too many people have to be involved, and there isn't any sign of evidence to actually incriminate ANYONE ELSE.
and look while we going I haven't said it before as I didn't want to but the more episodes of mam 2 I watch the more I distrust KZ. i feel she is stubbornly going to loose her street cred over this case.

so there are my bug bares .
as upsetting to me as it is Teresa gets forgotten here I am at peace that avery is in jail where he belongs.

jmo

I am so interested in what everyone has to say on this - even though my opinion will be the polar opposite to the next person’s, I’m so fascinated in how a situation can be seen from so many angles.

This is my 1st time making a post...typically I just like reading the various viewpoints being discussed on the cases I’m following. Something introduced at the end of MaM season 2 by KZ really shocked me, though, and I’m so surprised I haven’t seen lots of talk about it.

For the record, I’ve really had an open mind about this case & have been waiting for that one piece of evidence that would lock this down for me either way.

KZ talks about TH’s day planner and the fact that it was in the possession of her ex-boyfriend, who then turns it over to LE. He was supposed to have gotten it from her house after she disappeared. KZ says there are 2 witnesses her team interviewed that say they spoke w/ TH on her cell phone the day she went to SA’s. TH told both of them she was driving in her car during those conversations. Both witnesses said they scheduled appt’s w/ her. Those appt’s do appear written in that day planner in handwriting consistent w/ TH’s other writing in that planner (photos of those entries, as well as other pages in the planner are shown). One witness even says TH told him she needed to pull over to jot their scheduled appt down. TH’s cell phone records back up these calls taking place on that day & at those times, shortly before she is known to arrive at SA’s.

How did her ex-boyfriend get ahold of this day planner if it was in her car w/ her the day that she went to SA’s and never left that property alive? If you look at the timing and the general location of her cell phone during those calls in reference to the time she is known to have gotten to SA’s, there just wasn’t enough time for her to have driven to her house and left her planner there before getting to Avery’s Salvage Yard. The prosecution has never said they believe or offered any evidence/testimony that TH was at her own home any time that afternoon.

For me, this is the huge hole in the entire case. I honestly have tried thinking of any way for this to be possible that doesn’t include something egregious and I just can’t find a scenario that works. With the majority of the evidence in this case there are things that can be disputed...experts from both camps that offer conflicting opinions, witnesses that have given inconsistent statements, claims of LE planting evidence, etc..., but this revelation about the day planner is something much more factual and not subjective, IMO.

Did anyone else have a jaw-dropping moment when this was introduced in season 2? Is there some alternate scenario I’m just not thinking of that explains this in some innocent way? I don’t think it’s proof that TH’s ex-boyfriend is responsible for her death, but it definitely supports the idea of extreme corruption in this case. To me, it literally brings this investigation back to square one because if it’s true, everything LE & the prosecution has presented is based on a theory that fundamentally could not have happened.

I am so interested in what everyone has to say on this - even though my opinion will be the polar opposite to the next person’s, I’m so fascinated in how a situation can be seen from so many angles.
me too
it is a very interesting concept that we can grasp things so differently!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allihounds