Supreme Court Nominee

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Should a person be judged on something done over 40 years ago?

• Yes

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • No

Votes: 17 11.3%
  • Depends

Votes: 75 49.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
He said versus she said regarding an incident from HS. She can't remember where or when? I thought a person was innocent UNTIL proven guilty. There actually wasn't even a rape. I feel this is all political. I feel sorry that she has been used in this way, and I especially feel sorry for anyone who can be accused of anything by anyone at anytime and they are tried and convicted without any proof. God help us if we go down this road! JMO MOO
I completely agree!

The question is MISLEADING! It assumes HE DID SOMETHING which has never been proven. What kind of question is that? I thought a person was innocent until proven guilty...regardless of their political party nonsense! Good grief!

Ditto. I would add the following:

Feelings aren't facts.
Accusations aren't proof. Not in this country...not yet, anyway, thank God. (And I say that reverently).

I agree with Senator Graham: Judge Kavanagh has nothing to apologize for, IMO. It is the Kangaroo Court posing as a Judiciary Committee that should be apologizing abjectly to both Judge Kavanagh and the accuser. I think she genuinely believes "her truth." However, I do not believe that "her truth" is THE truth. By her own self-report, the accuser has serious psychiatric diagnoses, i.e, she is mentally ill. IMO, her PTSD diagnosis is NOT a result of what she stated happened to her 36 years ago, and I think whatever undisclosed traumatic event(s) DID lead to the PTSD diagnosis contributed to her having either a faulty or a false memory from her teenage years. Again, IMO. IMO, the Senate has victimized both the accused and the accuser.
She has PTSD. Many people do.IMO
Any conclusions on the mental health of Kavanaugh?

I wish the ABA would suspend his law license until the allegations are investigated. I’m glad they called for an investigation; that says a lot. I doubt the Senate Judiciary Committee cares, though. They’ve got their agenda to complete.

So we should just accept his word and not try to delve into it by asking questions.

How does stating there was no witness turn into 'so we should just accept his word and not try to delve into it by asking questions'?

I do not understand the leap from one thing to another dramatically different thing. IMO, there is a lack of logic and civics lessons.

I wish the ABA would suspend his law license until the allegations are investigated. I’m glad they called for an investigation; that says a lot. I doubt the Senate Judiciary Committee cares, though. They’ve got their agenda to complete.

Suspend someone’s professional license based on an allegation?

Yikes.

He said versus she said regarding an incident from HS. She can't remember where or when? I thought a person was innocent UNTIL proven guilty. There actually wasn't even a rape. I feel this is all political. I feel sorry that she has been used in this way, and I especially feel sorry for anyone who can be accused of anything by anyone at anytime and they are tried and convicted without any proof. God help us if we go down this road! JMO MOO
He is not being tried and he cannot be convicted. He has not been charged with crime.

This is not a trial. It is a hearing to determine if this candidate it suitable for the job as U.S. Supreme Court Justice. Information is being examined and he is being questioned with regard to his candidacy for the job. He is not in a court of law and he is not standing trial.

This is not a trial.

jmo

How does stating there was no witness turn into 'so we should just accept his word and not try to delve into it by asking questions'?

I do not understand the leap from one thing to another dramatically different thing. IMO, there is a lack of logic and civics lessons.
I don't know what is hard to understand about my post. This is a big deal and people should be interviewed and investigated and not just taken at their word.IMO

I watched a good portion of yesterday's hearing and my gut is telling me that Judge Kavanaugh is telling the truth.
This is JMO and I am going with it.
What's your assessment on how he told the truth? (I don't think he was truthful, but totally understand that others do think he was.) Do you find his demeanor acceptable?

Serious question, not snark.

jmo

The question is MISLEADING! It assumes HE DID SOMETHING which has never been proven. What kind of question is that? I thought a person was innocent until proven guilty...regardless of their political party nonsense! Good grief!

No, they’re not literally innocent per se; they’re legally presumed innocent for purposes of a trial. This wasn’t a trial. And before a trial, an investigation occurs. That’s not happening here. So there’s a woman with credible allegations, supported by a lie detector test, who asked for the fbi to investigate, who has nothing to gain and so much to lose...and the gop reps tell Kavanaugh they’re sorry for what he’s been through. Stick me with a friggin fork. It’s abhorrent.

No worries, and hugs to you too. :)

I actually did, a little while earlier , call a rape crisis hotline to tell everything that happened, every single thing, for the first last and only time, over 40 years later.

To other rape survivors who have never told or only partly told , I highly recommend making that call. I feel wiped out emotionally, but definitely, absolutely LIGHTER. And relieved.

Signing off and away from the upsetting farce unfolding, holding onto the lighter & relieved. :)

OHhhhh

good for you

there will be some painful retriggers -- but walking through the forest , when you get to the where the forest finally ends and the sun comes out , at the end of the journey , you will find it worth and helpful to have taken the first step.

Sounds trivial - it. is. not. When ready write a letter to the violator (for you only)

Start a dairy of your journey

just suggestions

congratulations are in order

it will be worth it I promise you

lean on people - you will find them there for you

I am with you that this man didn’t and doesn’t appear to be someone I would want (if I were American) on SCOTUS.

However, that is a complete and separate issue from these allegations.
The question at hand, is whether or not these allegations should be factored into the decision.

Put someone you really admire in K’s seat. Would these allegations suffice to make him ineligible for the highest judgeship in the land?

These are extremely important positions with respect to the quality and type of life you wish to live.

Quoting my own post here but I really like this question as it can sum this entire thing up with one answer.

However, you must understand that there very likely will come a time when someone you admire and wholeheartedly believe in, will be sitting in Judge K’s seat.

With that said, I open this question up to everyone:

Put someone you really admire in K’s seat. Would these allegations suffice to make him ineligible for the highest judgeship in the land?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jasonax3