Suspect #2: Mark Smich *Charged* 1st Deg Murder 22 May 2013 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's been some time since I last posted, I find this "bought some landscaping stones" interesting. Could some one please re-link or post links to the equipment photos from the farm. The excavator and the bobcat. Just a hunch "boulders.ca" has similar equipment and they deliver stones, rent skid steers, bobcats and possibly excavators.
They are in Oakville & mississauga. cheers

Welcome back Napper. It's worth turning over every stone to figure out how it came to be Tim ended up being the very unfortunate victim in this case. The landscaping stone theory has come up in the past along with other speculations. One I had considered was the fact Tim was an HVAC mechanic. Had he done work at the hangar; installation of the heating, cooling system when it was built or had he done repair work on the system prior to his murder? IMO I don't believe there was anything which connected them other then the accused wanting a Dodge Ram truck. If it wasn't Tim I believe it would have been someone else. They may not have been murdered but would have lost their Dodge truck and been abandoned somewhere.

Something to consider; test drive of the Dodge Ram the day before with the business owner and another person who came forward stating he had been contacted about his Dodge Ram truck which was for sale. Why would the accused take the risk of being witnessed/caught if their intention was to get back at or murder Tim for a business deal gone wrong? It doesn't seem to fit IMHO. Why even use the truck as an excuse? Why not just find a more convenient way to snuff him out?

We do know Tim had a friend who had a pilot's license, had taken Tim up in a small plane and if there ever was a time in which DM and TB's paths crossed, it could have been through this pilot friend who had a connection to the Waterloo airport. During the theft of Tim's truck, did Tim suggest to DM he recognized him from the Waterloo airport? At that point had the theft been obvious to Tim and there was no turning back for DM and/or MS and they believed they had no other option but to murdered Tim and take the chance of getting away with murder then facing charges of auto theft and forcible confinement (which also carries a hefty sentence; life)? Especially if a weapon such as a gun was involved.

I do not believe it was the original intent for Tim to be murdered and this could explains why the crime was sloppy leaving so much incriminating evidence behind. I won't be surprised to learn during the course of the trial the defense tries to paint it Tim's death was accidental or he was murdered in self defense. Tim ended up being shot because one or both of the accused lives were being threatened by Tim himself. At gunpoint Tim was ordered out of his truck, refused and a struggle ensued. There was no intention of the gun being used other then to threaten. Makes for a great defense when nothing else fits the evidence. Do I believe that to be fact; self defense or accidental? No, but that is JMHO. It will be a good attempt for raising reasonable doubt in the minds of the jurors thought. I don't think it will be a long stretch either for the defense to try and claim Tim was armed with a gun either. Why would someone be so trusting and especially late at night to go out on a test drive with two strange men? That will be defense's rational. Someone armed with a gun? Where is Tim's gun now? Well just like in so many other cases, the evidence hasn't been found and never will be (because one doesn't exist). Not everyone who carries a gun registers them and their family members didn't even know they owned such a gun ;) I have to wonder how many guns were owned by CM, WM and DM and how many owned by DM were registered. Yes I do believe the murder was committed with a gun but again that is MOO.

Kidnapping

279. (1) Every person commits an offence who kidnaps a person with intent
(a) to cause the person to be confined or imprisoned against the person’s will;

Punishment

(1.1) Every person who commits an offence under subsection (1) is guilty of an indictable offence and liable
(a) if a restricted firearm or prohibited firearm is used in the commission of the offence or if any firearm is used in the commission of the offence and the offence is committed for the benefit of, at the direction of, or in association with, a criminal organization, to imprisonment for life and to a minimum punishment of imprisonment for a term of...
(b) in any other case, to imprisonment for life.

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/C-46/section-279.html

Was the possible connection of MS and Kawasaki Robotics in Ancaster looked into any further?

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9479826&postcount=117"]http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9479826&postcount=117[/ame]

It appears that MS's father is an engineer with several patents in his name - it would make sense that he might own and/or operate a robotics business. Did MS work there?

Also, the building itself looks as though it was constructed quite recently. Could it be possible that TB could have done work there?

Was the possible connection of MS and Kawasaki Robotics in Ancaster looked into any further?

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9479826&postcount=117

It appears that MS's father is an engineer with several patents in his name - it would make sense that he might own and/or operate a robotics business. Did MS work there?

Also, the building itself looks as though it was constructed quite recently. Could it be possible that TB could have done work there?

I looked into it.

I spoke to someone at Kawasaki robotics and he said MS had nothing to do with them and he had no idea about how the phone number mix-up came to be. I also spoke to an Ancaster neighbour of KR. He told me that shortly after MS's arrest a TV crew showed up to interview puzzled KR employees.

There are a lot of errors in online phone directories. I use them a lot and would estimate their inaccuracy at 30% at least.

My guess is it was either a data entry error or a very old phone number.

No TB connection at all.

Well, there was the kijiji ad as well that was supposedly posted by a friend of TB's, that said 3 guys came, two were dropped off for the test drive and the third said he would be back.

http://websleuths.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=33926&d=1368751818

This message put out on Kijiji by one of TB's friends was information SB gathered during conversation between TB and the perps and probably herself. I doubt the part about their friend dropping them off was true, just a lie to cover up the fact a vehicle of the perps wasn't in the Bosma's driveway or visible to them from their home. The part about the fair grounds; excuse as to the destination or area of where their so called friend was going to be picking them up after the test drive. I think our sweet Mrs. Bosma was very observant which helped lead to the capture of the two charged. The business owners description just confirmed and was icing on the cake. I personally believe the perps were in her home and she was part of the whole discussion. I also think she sensed something amiss (agitated and/or nervous perps) and this is why she didn't wait too long before calling Tim's cell phone and then LE.

I believe this is where LE also got the idea there may have been a third suspect; because of the information SB gathered in conversation. Do I think there is a third suspect? No. That's JMHO though.

Our friend TB took the other 2 guys for a test drive near the fair grounds in Ancaster

I still find it interesting how it was stated MS lived at home to take care of his sick mother and dogs. Flips me back to the MR. It was claimed he also stayed at home to take care of his sick mom. Was MS at home because he wanted to be at home or because he didn't have a job and couldn't afford to live independently? This information came from his friend who was also involved in making that gore music video. I have to wonder what made him say he stands behind his friend when he hadn't seen him in three months. A person's life can drastically change in three months and not always for the good kwim. Sounds typical of someone trying to defend their friend. Maybe he was making a legit point though when he said "always helped out whoever he could". Was he innocent in Tim's murder and just helped DM try to dispose of evidence? Did DM take advantage of Mark and then try to pay him off? Interesting how DM paid off the condo the following day, May 7th. Wonder what both their bank statements showed leading up to or the days after TB's murder? MOO.

He confirmed that it is Mr. Smich in the video, and described him as “the type of guy who stayed home to take care of his sick mother and dogs,” and who “always helped out whoever he could.”

Mr. Crockett said he stands behind his friends, and added that he has not seen Mr. Smich in three months.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ree-murder-in-tim-bosma-case/article12090623/

At WS, we discuss everything and anything that we can find on whatever case is at hand and which is permissible according to TOS. Unfortunately in this case, it seems we simply haven't been able to find as much on MS as we have on DM ... certainly not for lack of trying by sleuthers (and I'm sure AB isn't the only investigative journalist who has tried to dig stuff up).

There are many cases where those accused don't have the same background as DM, but they are scrutinized just as closely in the MSM and at WS IF and WHEN we are able to find information that relates to them. It has nothing to do with money or social status or being or not being part of a dynasty. Accused perps at opposite ends of the spectrum that spring to mind would be the Gary Hiltons or John Coueys of the world compared to the Dennis Olands or Gerard Baden Clays.

Are the names you mentioned of people co-accused in a case where only one receives all the attention and the other is considered boring and gets no press?

Because I have heard that even the journalists who do get information on MS seem to think that it is less interesting, which to me would make it less likely that they would write about him because, as I am sure we are all aware, only interesting news brings in a profit. There is no money in true, but boring news.

Swedie, I have tried to find out about Mark Smich and talk to people who know him although it is true that, probably like most reporters, I have never been quite as interested in his story as Millard's.

How would news on Smich be "boring". He's charged with first degree murder. Any news on Smich that does not break any publication bans would be written about IMO. If anything, Smich was likely anything but boring.

Are the names you mentioned of people co-accused in a case where only one receives all the attention and the other is considered boring and gets no press?

Because I have heard that even the journalists who do get information on MS seem to think that it is less interesting, which to me would make it less likely that they would write about him because, as I am sure we are all aware, only interesting news brings in a profit. There is no money in true, but boring news.

I don't think there is a human rights organization that deals specifically with the equality of online visibility of co-accused murderers. Maybe MS and DM should have previously ensured that their www presence was more equal than it is. If you google your own nick vs any other nick, it stands to reason that one is going to bring up more info than the other .. it's just how the world works.

Reminds me of Pierre Elliot Trudeau vs Joe Who

Bring on the boring news .. if it exists, we'll make it less boring ;)

This message put out on Kijiji by one of TB's friends was information SB gathered during conversation between TB and the perps and probably herself. I doubt the part about their friend dropping them off was true, just a lie to cover up the fact a vehicle of the perps wasn't in the Bosma's driveway or visible to them from their home. The part about the fair grounds; excuse as to the destination or area of where their so called friend was going to be picking them up after the test drive. I think our sweet Mrs. Bosma was very observant which helped lead to the capture of the two charged. The business owners description just confirmed and was icing on the cake. I personally believe the perps were in her home and she was part of the whole discussion. I also think she sensed something amiss (agitated and/or nervous perps) and this is why she didn't wait too long before calling Tim's cell phone and then LE.

I believe this is where LE also got the idea there may have been a third suspect; because of the information SB gathered in conversation. Do I think there is a third suspect? No. That's JMHO though.

Our friend TB took the other 2 guys for a test drive near the fair grounds in Ancaster

Regarding the bolded part of your post, where did you get this information?

If you go back to the first reports, it doesn't really sound like the accused were in TB's home or had a conversation with SB.

She got a quick look at the two visitors as the three men left, just before 9:30 p.m. — her husband dressed in dark blue jeans, work boots and a long-sleeved shirt.

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/2556873-missing-ancaster-man-told-his-wife-he-would-be-right-back/

I always thought the story of the third person may have started from an assumption and then grew from the second vehicle being seen on video following them as they left TB's house. I still tend to think it would be very unrealistic to think that one of them jumped out of the truck at the end of the driveway to quickly follow them away.

As for the fairgrounds, it was reported that they headed north when they left on the test drive. Looking at a map, it would seem that heading north from TB's is heading directly towards the fairgrounds.

JMO

Juballee, I totally agree you about the lack of press about MS, but IMO, it kind of leads me to believe that MS wasn't the stereotypical tech savy millennium kid we hear about all the time, so once you get past his rap sheet, there isn't really much more. He was a petty criminal and not particularly good at that! Chances are MS wasn't the type of friend that would be on DM's guest list if DM was hanging out with his fiance or European connections, but like a puppy dog, would be there for DM whenever he called.

IMO, the fact that MS was no stranger to hand cuffs, may really add to the fact that he was a lot more careful with his privacy, and chances are, he had a cheap "pay as you go" phone with limited data, because he couldn't get a regular one. Where DM dropped out of many courses, it appears the MS just avoided the attempt or couldn't afford it. IMO the big diff between DM and MS is definitely money. DM just had more "exciting" legal events to share with the world- trips, sky diving, flying, engagements and lots of times, he wasn't sharing the info, other people tagged him in it.

JMHO, but I think that everyone close to MS knew his tendencies to get into trouble, so aside for a few close friends who were implicating others right after his arrest, there's very little denial or support in the MS camp-and MS doesn't have a dead father and missing "unconventional sexual relationship" girlfriend.-DM on the other hand seems to be the one capable of manipulating his environment with moola and business man persona. To young women and their parents, DM would have been a very good catch, to others DM was their generous rich friend-so IMO, it's no surprise there's so much denial by many in this case-because they were blinded by the bucks- the same bucks that made him a cool guy to MS- a cool guy that had all the answers and an incinerator to boot! So, in a nutshell, there's no info on MS, because he had been living a non productive, very lack lustre lifestyle.

Regarding the bolded part of your post, where did you get this information?

If you go back to the first reports, it doesn't really sound like the accused were in TB's home or had a conversation with SB.

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/2556873-missing-ancaster-man-told-his-wife-he-would-be-right-back/

I always thought the story of the third person may have started from an assumption and then grew from the second vehicle being seen on video following them as they left TB's house. I still tend to think it would be very unrealistic to think that one of them jumped out of the truck at the end of the driveway to quickly follow them away.

As for the fairgrounds, it was reported that they headed north when they left on the test drive. Looking at a map, it would seem that heading north from TB's is heading directly towards the fairgrounds.

JMO

BBM As I said, "probably" which is my assumption; because where else would this information come from? Where would you suggest Tim's friend got that information from to post on Kijiji?

Although the article you posted reads SB only got a quick look at the two men, doesn't mean she wasn't within earshot of hearing their conversation. Who knows, maybe TB text SB en route. Maybe his cell phone holds information a lot more information than what we're aware of. Whatever the situation was, SB got a good look, (although quick according to this article), at the two accused, it matched with the description given by the business owner, which led to two arrests. And nowhere in any article that I am aware of does it state the perps were not in Tim's and SB's home.

As for MS jumping out of TB's truck at the end of the driveway and following in the Yukon; it is feasible but I guess we can only wait until the trial approximately ten or so months from now to learn how it all played out. JMO.

They'd arranged to meet him at his rural Ancaster home. AND She got a quick look at the two visitors as the three men left, just before 9:30 p.m.

Juballee, I totally agree you about the lack of press about MS, but IMO, it kind of leads me to believe that MS wasn't the stereotypical tech savy millennium kid we hear about all the time, so once you get past his rap sheet, there isn't really much more. He was a petty criminal and not particularly good at that! Chances are MS wasn't the type of friend that would be on DM's guest list if DM was hanging out with his fiance or European connections, but like a puppy dog, would be there for DM whenever he called.

IMO, the fact that MS was no stranger to hand cuffs, may really add to the fact that he was a lot more careful with his privacy, and chances are, he had a cheap "pay as you go" phone with limited data, because he couldn't get a regular one. Where DM dropped out of many courses, it appears the MS just avoided the attempt or couldn't afford it. IMO the big diff between DM and MS is definitely money. DM just had more "exciting" legal events to share with the world- trips, sky diving, flying, engagements and lots of times, he wasn't sharing the info, other people tagged him in it.

JMHO, but I think that everyone close to MS knew his tendencies to get into trouble, so aside for a few close friends who were implicating others right after his arrest, there's very little denial or support in the MS camp-and MS doesn't have a dead father and missing "unconventional sexual relationship" girlfriend.-DM on the other hand seems to be the one capable of manipulating his environment with moola and business man persona. To young women and their parents, DM would have been a very good catch, to others DM was their generous rich friend-so IMO, it's no surprise there's so much denial by many in this case-because they were blinded by the bucks- the same bucks that made him a cool guy to MS- a cool guy that had all the answers and an incinerator to boot! So, in a nutshell, there's no info on MS, because he had been living a non productive, very lack lustre lifestyle.

It is refreshing that we agree on some things. I agree that out of the two of them, MS was the more likely of the two to have a pay-as-you-go phone. If the phone that booked the appointments belonged to MS, and was destroyed when TB's phone was turned off, that could have been why LE had such a hard time tracking down MS compared to DM, and why LE went back over the route MS took when he was running from them, to look for a cell phone that was never found. What 20-something doesn't have even a cheap cell phone these days, so if he didn't have one on him or in his home when he was arrested, that would explain a lot, in my opinion. DM's number might have been one of the numbers that the 'burner' phone called regularly, which LE would have had a record of quite quickly, no matter who that phone was registered to. That would have helped lead them to DM, if he had a phone registered in his name that was contacted by the burner phone regularly. If the number for the burner phone in DM's phone was listed with a knickname, and DM wouldn't say who it was, that would explain why it took them so long to track down MS. In that case, if the third suspect was a contact in MS's burner phone but not DM's registered phone, that could be how he is still eluding police. Personally, I still have a sneaking suspicion that the one who was smart enough not to be seen, who stayed in the truck instead of going to the door, and who still hasn't been caught, may be the mastermind or possibly the only one who knew what was actually going to happen that night.

I half agree with the anti-stereotypical tech savvy millennial assumption, but I was thinking that DM was equally unconventional in that he wasn't posting anything about himself online. It seems that all the photos we see of DM enjoying his leisure time are posted by other people, except for an abandoned Facebook page from what I recall. Perhaps when DM and MS hang out together, no one cares enough about social media between the two of them to document the events on the web, which again, would account for why it took LE so long to track down MS. Perhaps MS erased his cyber footprint in the extra time he had before his capture, which would explain why there isn't even a gamer profile for him that I recall being found. Or perhaps that is one of the things that their friendship was based on, that neither seemed interested in social media, in truth we don't know anything about their relationship. I think that the relationship between them should be investigated further, because I agree that if DM was considered the generous rich friend and MS had tendencies for trouble as you suggest, that it could have been that MS was taking DM for a ride. I agree that maybe MS was like a puppy dog to DM, but I think maybe one that followed him around like an inadvertently adopted street dog because he had made the mistake of feeding it a few times, and was now obligated to be responsible for it and protect it.

Just because other people have posted pics of DM on vacations or getting engaged does not make him any more newsworthy in my opinion. For all we know there may be accidental deaths, family suicides or missing people in MS's life, but no one seems to have dug into anything to see what there could be. He may have been engaged, or taken courses or worked somewhere, I don't remember reading anywhere official that he has not done those things. Even if he was non-productive, as many here have accused DM of being as well, then there still should have been some discernible way that he spent his days. My point is that we don't know one tenth as much about MS as we do about DM because the media has decided that one is more interesting than the other, yet I think a lot of people would like to know just as much about MS, even if it is less exciting because there are less planes and yachts and cars.

If the phone that booked the appointments belonged to MS, and was destroyed when TB's phone was turned off, that could have been why LE had such a hard time tracking down MS compared to DM, and why LE went back over the route MS took when he was running from them, to look for a cell phone that was never found. What 20-something doesn't have even a cheap cell phone these days, so if he didn't have one on him or in his home when he was arrested, that would explain a lot, in my opinion. DM's number might have been one of the numbers that the 'burner' phone called regularly, which LE would have had a record of quite quickly, no matter who that phone was registered to.
Juballee, IMO, I've yet to read anything that would make me think they had a hard time tracking anyone down. IIRC, the big break was the Oakville truck owners recollection of the Ambition Tattoo and TPS having matching tag info on DM. IMO, that's what quickly lead them to DM. As far as the phones are concerned, I seriously doubt that either perp truly understood "triangulation", "cell tower pings" and all the good stuff that LE would immediately utilize. Considering that they would have needed a warrant to bring MS in, leads me to believe that they knew who he was but were waiting for production orders. I seriously doubt that LE let MS out of their sight from the time they zeroed in on DM.

I think that the relationship between them should be investigated further, because I agree that if DM was considered the generous rich friend and MS had tendencies for trouble as you suggest, that it could have been that MS was taking DM for a ride. I agree that maybe MS was like a puppy dog to DM, but I think maybe one that followed him around like an inadvertently adopted street dog because he had made the mistake of feeding it a few times, and was now obligated to be responsible for it and protect it.
IMO, I think this is an area where we have to seriously avoid tunnel vision. Yes, perhaps DM was just being generous out of sympathy for MS, but then perhaps MS was really DM's drug dealer or perhaps even his lover? Maybe they got sexual gratification getting hopped on drugs and doing nasty things. DM wouldn't be the first person in history to be living two lives.

Even if he was non-productive, as many here have accused DM of being as well, then there still should have been some discernible way that he spent his days. My point is that we don't know one tenth as much about MS as we do about DM because the media has decided that one is more interesting than the other, yet I think a lot of people would like to know just as much about MS, even if it is less exciting because there are less planes and yachts and cars.
Juballee, IMO, the only differences between DM and MS was money and family success. Take away DM's family money and you've taken away everything that has made DM interesting. Prior family achievements and wealth offer no immunity from raising a manipulative, psychopathic underachiever. IMO, there's no shortage of people who just can't wrap their head around this. :scared:

Without his families money, chances are DM would never have been a pilot, he wouldn't have a have a multi million dollar business to blow, he wouldn't have an 80 acre farm to burn bodies on, he wouldn't have a selection of big enclosed trailers to hide trucks in and he wouldn't be buying an incinerator for the heck of it. IMO, without the families money, there's a possibility that DM would not be in jail today-or at best he'd be a petty criminal just like MS who can only really afford a can of spray paint.

On the other hand, we know that MS's existence in his middle class home was dismal at best- but that's nothing to do with any family hardship- it's because he's been getting busted from an early age. MS is 25 and since he's been working on the rap sheet portion of his resume since he was 18, that may have a pretty negative impact on how employers view him. The chances of MS having a legal job are pretty slim. I don't buy the argument that DM was pulled into MS's evil ways-IMO they're peas in a pod. Take away DM's money and you've got MS's twin in the ambition department. MOO
http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/sunnews/straighttalk/archives/2013/05/20130524-085924.html

"At this point, Mr. Smich will be pleading not guilty". Dungey then went on to say they would defend vigorously and that's been quoted many times. But what does anyone make of the words "At this point", above? Meaning at this point he is, but if there's solid evidence against him, he isn't?

http://m.thespec.com/news-story/3236885-clairmont-accused-bosma-killer-cowers-in-court/

Sent using Tapatalk 2

Generally they(Defense Att.) claim to be interested in ensuring rights and in the proper judicial treatment of their client wrt to the "State." In this case the "State" is Canada, the charge is 1st deg. murder.

During that interview I doubt Dungey "knew" or even cared if MS was guilty. His concern was that MS has full representation in Court against the "State" of Canada who has brought these charges against a citizen of the "State" of Canada to be answered in a Court of Law.

Dungey, given the above circumstances and having 25 yrs experience, covered the bases by using "at this point" being as forthcoming and honest as possible at that time. He knew full well that with the following conditions things could change:

1. Dual accused...many variations in Judicial proceedings, ie. try separate, together, one pleas, one left holding the bag?

2. Change Plea...Once he gets deeper into the case he realizes the best possibility for his client is to change the plea to guilty.

3. Wait until the jury is "seated," look them over, consider the odds, then decide to plead guilty.

4. Plead not guilty, one can't win if one doesn't play the judicial game, especially if one is actually wrongly accused.

It simply gives the outward initial appearance/ impression of being not guilty while reserving the right to be guilty if MS needs to be, later, in proceedings.

Wow tag-team <modsnip>. Good luck with your trials guys.

WTH. Sorry but these are rotten to the core. OMG. What we all suspected so long

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member