Suspect - Daniel Heinrich #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
In Eloc's book he talks about how they tried to get him to confess with the special room set up and the flag. At the time some of us thought this was a reference to Hollinger and were trying to figure out the reasoning. Now we know it was because he was in the Guard.

Yes, to me this was one of the great mysteries of my research, the identity of that man that was arrested and let go. I knew it wasn't Hart or Hollinger, as Garber ruled out both, but he said he couldn't recall who it was. Jared was unaware that the man had been arrested until after I read and shared the details in Garber's book.

The other great mystery (aside from the obvious question of "where is Jacob"?) to me is why didn't LE broadcast that they were trying to find the car that DR saw. Why ask for a host of other cars when you have an eyewitness seeing one at the place and time of the abduction?

Adam and his friend can be added to the list of youngsters likely haunted forever by the thought that they escaped the slavering clutches of this creep, thus avoiding the fate of poor Jacob.

Over time leads were forgotten and I believe local le got shoddy and focused on dr to look good to public eye

They turned different DR into a human voodoo doll because he probably accidentally changed his story once. So they said ok lets just let this ride out and see what happens, because this other guy who left the tracks has given us nothing to arrest him.

They turned different DR into a human voodoo doll because he probably accidentally changed his story once. So they said ok lets just let this ride out and see what happens, because this other guy who left the tracks has given us nothing to arrest him.
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Sasquatch321
I think you could say it's not over yet. I don't think he's involved and another huge twist is on the way.

Sasquatch, could you expound upon the twist and who isn't involved? Thank you!

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Sasquatch321
I think you could say it's not over yet. I don't think he's involved and another huge twist is on the way.

Sasquatch, could you expound upon the twist and who isn't involved? Thank you!

I said that when I thought the tires and footprints were inconclusive. They are not inconclusive, they are a match. So I retract that statement just like DR retracts his mistake.

I feel LE, or whoever the heck was heading up this INVESTIGATION from 89 until now should answer that question AND more.
Poor Jacob
In Eloc's book he talks about how they tried to get him to confess with the special room set up and the flag. At the time some of us thought this was a reference to Hollinger and were trying to figure out the reasoning. Now we know it was because he was in the Guard.

le continued to look at lots of people including a guy in prison who had his car taken apart.

I think we are all totally mystified why DJH was not brought forward in clues to the public such as asking for any imfo re cars or incidences. They did not have to name him. I am so stunned by this situation by a guy who seems to be so obviously involved.

They did observe him for months, but why not ask the public for info like they did on several other people?

I said that when I thought the tires and footprints were inconclusive. They are not inconclusive, they are a match. So I retract that statement just like DR retracts his mistake.

I appreciate the correction thank you.

Human I believe it was negligence

As harsh as I have been towards SCSD, I am forced to admit that they may not have had the skill sets and tools needed to investigate this case, and having territorial control over the case, they may have had the State and Federal agencies as consultants rather than investigators. And with time (even tho this was a benchmark case), they moved resources onto other pressing cases. I have lost count of the number of cases I have worked on (and still work on) that have gone cold and receive little to no resources after the initial investigation. One case I have on my books, LE refuses to investigate further, even when I hand them evidence.

As harsh as I have been towards SCSD, I am forced to admit that they may not have had the skill sets and tools needed to investigate this case, and having territorial control over the case, they may have had the State and Federal agencies as consultants rather than investigators. And with time (even tho this was a benchmark case), they moved resources onto other pressing cases. I have lost count of the number of cases I have worked on (and still work on) that have gone cold and receive little to no resources after the initial investigation. One case I have on my books, LE refuses to investigate further, even when I hand them evidence.

Your last sentence says it all.

I don't understand the Paynnesville PD they had to have an idea of who did the attacks there .....And did Nothing!!

I was just talking with my aunt this weekend, who has lived in Paynesville for about the last 11 years, and she was saying how LE there would just turn a blind eye to laws being broken... so much so that their authority was no longer respected by members of the community.

I was just talking with my aunt this weekend, who has lived in Paynesville for about the last 11 years, and she was saying how LE there would just turn a blind eye to laws being broken... so much so that their authority was no longer respected by members of the community.

Interesting article in Saturday's paper (portion below with link) on how the meeting tonight in Paynesville will somehow attempt to "correct" the perception that not much was done at the time by LE in Paynesville. I, too, have read that a lot of assault reports were ignored. It will be interesting to see how they spin this.

Portion of article:
"Patty and Jerry Wetterling have organized a community meeting Monday night in Paynesville that is described as a night of sharing and healing among community members….
…Monday night’s event is a chance to talk about resources that are available for the people who have been affected by the news, and what happened in Paynesville more than 25 years ago, said Paynesville Police Chief Paul Wegner.

The event is intended for Paynesville-area people and is scheduled for an hour at the Paynesville High School Auditorium.

There’s a perception that the police department didn’t do enough at the time to solve the assaults and that possible links to the Wetterling abduction were missed, Wegner said. “It’s also an opportunity to show to not only the victims but the community as a whole, and for those media that cover it, that what happened 30 years ago in Paynesville doesn’t define who we were then and doesn’t define who we are now,” Wegner said.

Media will be allowed at the event, but with limited access to portions of the event, Wegner said.

http://www.sctimes.com/story/news/local/2015/11/27/wetterlings-organize-paynesville-talk/76450712/

Interesting article in Saturday's paper (portion below with link) on how the meeting tonight in Paynesville will somehow attempt to "correct" the perception that not much was done at the time by LE in Paynesville. I, too, have read that a lot of assault reports were ignored. It will be interesting to see how they spin this.

Portion of article:
"Patty and Jerry Wetterling have organized a community meeting Monday night in Paynesville that is described as a night of sharing and healing among community members….
…Monday night’s event is a chance to talk about resources that are available for the people who have been affected by the news, and what happened in Paynesville more than 25 years ago, said Paynesville Police Chief Paul Wegner.

The event is intended for Paynesville-area people and is scheduled for an hour at the Paynesville High School Auditorium.

There’s a perception that the police department didn’t do enough at the time to solve the assaults and that possible links to the Wetterling abduction were missed, Wegner said. “It’s also an opportunity to show to not only the victims but the community as a whole, and for those media that cover it, that what happened 30 years ago in Paynesville doesn’t define who we were then and doesn’t define who we are now,” Wegner said.

Media will be allowed at the event, but with limited access to portions of the event, Wegner said.

http://www.sctimes.com/story/news/local/2015/11/27/wetterlings-organize-paynesville-talk/76450712/

These cases were publicized in the local paper when they occurred, and we know now that Heinrich was on Paynesville police department's radar. It seems they were doing what they could do to nab him at the time. It's interesting that there would be a perception otherwise. Having said that, we have no idea what perspective the victims and near-victims have of all this.

26 years is a long time and people are different , techniques are different, and research is far more advanced.

People in small towns do hold grudges for generations. I saw that where I lived, population 2000. And people make up stuff as well . What a mess.

Something I stumbled upon while going over this case is that in 2004 Kevin was interviewed at length by the Minnesota BCA but I can find no reference to him being interviewed by the FBI or there being any involvement of the FBI during the "DR" stage of the investigation: roughly 2003 when Kevin came forward until the "Heinrich" stage of the investigation where Jared's clothing was retested for DNA.

From what I can tell, in 1989 the FBI had no jurisdiction in the Jacob Abduction case but they were permitted to "assist" local Law Enforcement. The FBI had access to manpower, investigative resources and forensic facilities the Local Law Enforcement agencies would lack.
The locals would still have jurisdiction and once the FBI had made the decision to end their involvement, the locals would still feel the political pressure to solve the case.

Presumably the locals would have access to all of FBI's records and reports but who controlled the evidence the FBI collected?

What I am getting at is what was the roll of the FBI during the "DR" stage of the investigation? Were they notified about Kevin? Did they decline to get involved? Does anyone know.

If they had not been involved. What prompted them to get involved at the start of the "Heinrich" stage? Was this just a Cold Case that had come up for reevaluation, did Steans County request their assistance or did something else cause them to reopen the case?

I keep coming back to Joy Baker's revelation of the Paynesville incidents as a critical turning point but all I know is what I've read online.

Does anyone know what w as really going on behind the scene?

Something I stumbled upon while going over this case is that in 2004 Kevin was interviewed at length by the Minnesota BCA but I can find no reference to him being interviewed by the FBI or there being any involvement of the FBI during the "DR" stage of the investigation: roughly 2003 when Kevin came forward until the "Heinrich" stage of the investigation where Jared's clothing was retested for DNA.

From what I can tell, in 1989 the FBI had no jurisdiction in the Jacob Abduction case but they were permitted to "assist" local Law Enforcement. The FBI had access to manpower, investigative resources and forensic facilities the Local Law Enforcement agencies would lack.
The locals would still have jurisdiction and once the FBI had made the decision to end their involvement, the locals would still feel the political pressure to solve the case.

Presumably the locals would have access to all of FBI's records and reports but who controlled the evidence the FBI collected?

What I am getting at is what was the roll of the FBI during the "DR" stage of the investigation? Were they notified about Kevin? Did they decline to get involved? Does anyone know.

If they had not been involved. What prompted them to get involved at the start of the "Heinrich" stage? Was this just a Cold Case that had come up for reevaluation, did Steans County request their assistance or did something else cause them to reopen the case?

I keep coming back to Joy Baker's revelation of the Paynesville incidents as a critical turning point but all I know is what I've read online.

Does anyone know what w as really going on behind the scene?

You raise several good questions. It's my understanding that the FBI at the time had little jurisdiction unless asked to be involved by the County. Clearly they did ask for help. Technically speaking the County has always been in charge of the investigation. The FBI was present during the DR farm dig but I believe only as a resource not as a primary investigative agency.

With regards to what triggered the most recent cold case review, we may never know the answer to that. I've read that Patty asked for one last shot at it, and I've read that the FBI proposed a task force to give it another look. One thing Al Garber told me was that the case needed investigative pressure. Certainly the media attention surrounding the Paynesville cases contributed to that, and I know that the FBI took particular interest in the Hart notes that I turned in in the late summer of 2014, along with my interpretation of the notes that Hart was attempting to assist the investigation and was pointing at Heinrich specifically. It is quite evident in the notes. The County has said they've had the notes for years. The local FBI clearly did not.

Long story short, it appears it took a fresh set of eyes to go "back to the box".

I've been trying to imagine a "what if" scenario, and the only outcome I can imagine is bleak... If the public knew then what we know now, I'm certain we would've demanded that DJH be arrested. And then what? A trial built on circumstantial evidence, and no opportunity to retry him? It's easier to understand that LE is/was trying to do the right thing in the long run. Silver lining?

Where are you Jacob??

What prompted them to get involved at the start of the "Heinrich" stage? Was this just a Cold Case that had come up for reevaluation, did Stearns County request their assistance or did something else cause them to reopen the case?

Does anyone know what was really going on behind the scene?

With regards to what triggered the most recent cold case review, we may never know the answer to that.

Patty Wetterling has answered this question. See the last video available at the bottom of the page here @ 3:35 – 7:00 minutes. In this interview, Mrs. Wetterling confirms that she was made aware of Danny Heinrich early in the original 1989-90 Wetterling Task Force investigation, and also describes the more recent efforts of Jared Scheierl and Joy Baker as “critical in breaking this piece open.” Mrs. Wetterling goes on to state that in August 2014, she and her husband met with the Stearns County Sheriff and Captain and asked that they “go back to the beginning, go through every lead,” and that thereafter the Sheriff set up a meeting with the Minnesota BCA, and the FBI. The FBI then said they would bring a CARD Team in to take a look at the case, which subsequently occurred in November 2014. For that, Mrs. Wetterling says she is “eternally grateful.”

Prov. 11:14

Patty Wetterling has answered this question. See the last video available at the bottom of the page here @ 3:35 – 7:00 minutes. In this interview, Mrs. Wetterling confirms that she was made aware of Danny Heinrich early in the original 1989-90 Wetterling Task Force investigation, and also describes the more recent efforts of Jared Scheierl and Joy Baker as “critical in breaking this piece open.” Mrs. Wetterling goes on to state that in August 2014, she and her husband met with the Stearns County Sheriff and Captain and asked that they “go back to the beginning, go through every lead,” and that thereafter the Sheriff set up a meeting with the Minnesota BCA, and the FBI. The FBI then said they would bring a CARD Team in to take a look at the case, which subsequently occurred in November 2014. For that, Mrs. Wetterling says she is “eternally grateful.”

It's a classic 'chicken or egg' argument. You don't know what you don't know. In the end, it doesn't really matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
appt