Suspect: Daniel Heinrich - #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
PS:

From the linked article below about the podcast In the Dark:

"In fact, one major thrust of In the Dark is the idea that investigators only connected the dots between Heinrich’s early assaults and his later crimes thanks to the work of amateur investigators, including Jared Scheierl, the other boy Heinrich abducted, who eventually helped make the connection between what happened to him and earlier assaults in a nearby town."

http://www.vox.com/culture/2016/9/28/13066062/in-the-dark-podcast-review?0p19G=c

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow! Thank you so much. I know I sometimes let some bitterness come through. It's just that the last couple of years I've spent a lot of time observing what has gone on, and it's caused me to really appreciate history, and how we all live so fast that we miss a heckuva lot of the cause and affect. The case became unnecessarily complicated, and big. Very, very few people truly understand this case - and I know there's a whole lot more that I don't know about it, and maybe never will.

I hope that as time passes, more and more information from primary sources will be released in regard to the Wetterling case. We've seen that to some degree with the unsealing of some of the search warrants, and I hope the level of transparency only increases now that the case is solved.

I agree with your assertion that it was unnecessarily complicated, and I think there are a lot of lessons to be learned from the case. One point that you brought up in your book that was also brought up in "In The Dark" was that the massive scope of the search on a national level had the unintended consequence of causing investigators to take their eye off the ball in regard to local suspects. I certainly cannot blame investigators for conducting such a massive search at the time, given how shocking and horrifying the crime was. The crime shook Minnesota to its core, and I think that only increased the level of desperation on the part of everyone who was trying to find Jacob. That desperation led to an exhaustive national search, which led to tens of thousands of tips that had investigators chasing dead end leads all over the country, while their perpetrator was living 26 miles down the road.

As someone who grew up in Minnesota during the time of Jacob's abduction, I can tell you that it is impossible to overstate how big this case was and is. Simply put, the Wetterling abduction was not only the most infamous missing person case in our state's history, but it's arguably the biggest story in the history of the state. It captivated adults and children alike; adults related to the horror that Patty and Jerry were going through as parents, while kids related to Jacob, whose only crime was being bored in a small town on a Sunday night and wanting to rent a movie. I was the same age as Jacob when he was abducted, and I can remember clinging to the TV those first few weeks, hoping like hell to hear the news that they found him. I can remember seeing his poster for the first time at a Hardees in Glencoe. I remember Vikings players wearing "Jacob's Hope" hats on the sideline during a nationally-televised game shortly after the abduction.

Even as years passed with no answers, I never stopped following the story on various Minnesota news media websites. When I heard the news a few weeks ago that did finally find him, I mourned his loss like I would a friend, even though I never met him, and my news feed on Facebook was filled with messages from my friends who felt the same way.

Because they thought he had been abducted in a car, they thought he had been taken away from the area, They had something like 50,000 tips they had to follow. With no equipment like they have today. Not even fax machines. Paper,

I hope every LE agency in the country will pay very close attention to the way this investigation went from the beginning til the end. After all, we learn a lot through mistakes.

I can really understand why LE, the Wetterlings, and the community wanted media coverage all over the country. If it were me, I would have also asked the public for their help in every way possible. I would have tried anything I could think of, which is what the Wetterlings did. I now understand that this is a reason the LE wasn't able to focus or narrow in on the obvious.

I hope every LE agency in the country will pay very close attention to the way this investigation went from the beginning til the end. After all, we learn a lot through mistakes.

I can really understand why LE, the Wetterlings, and the community wanted media coverage all over the country. If it were me, I would have also asked the public for their help in every way possible. I would have tried anything I could think of, which is what the Wetterlings did. I now understand that this is a reason the LE wasn't able to focus or narrow in on the obvious.

I am thankful for pieces like Eloc's book and the "In The Dark" podcast that are examining the Wetterling case in great detail. For people like us who are interested in true crime, it's a remarkably fascinating case and there is a lot to be learned from it.

I totally agree. If someone I knew went missing, I would look all over the country for them, especially in a case like Jacob's, where there was no evidence at the time to suggest someone did not take him to another state. No one, except for Heinrich, knew where he was.

Looking back, though, I do think the enormity of the search did hinder the investigation a bit. It goes back to Eloc's point about how big this case was. The public interest in getting this case solved was more intense than any I have ever witnessed in a criminal investigation (I fully acknowledge bias, being that I'm from Minnesota). I think that intense interest in the case led to more leads than investigators could deal with. I don't think they were at all prepared for the level of interest this case generated among the public, and that was mostly unavoidable. There was no way they could have anticipated the level of emotional investment that many people would experience with this case.

It's of course easy for anyone to say in retrospect how obvious it should have been now that we know, to a large extent, what really happened. When looking at everything that was know to LE back then however, it does raise a lot of questions as to how and why they did certain things. This is why the podcast is still important at this point. Examining these things after the case has been solved is raising my eyebrows higher than ever before.

If LE knew about the Paynseville attacks, knew Heinrich was one of the few people who were suspected of committing them, believed that Heinrich was responsible for Jared's assault (which they did), and even half suspected that Jared's case and Jacob's were related, then it seems remarkable that they wouldn't remain more focused on him, even after his arrest and release. If you don't have enough to pin him, you keep working at it and keep digging ... especially in the absence of any other credible suspects. When your gut is screaming "this is the guy," you don't move on to other things just because you can't charge him with the crime. You do everything under the law to "harass" and put pressure on him.

If SO many resources went into searching for Jacob, why wouldn't you comb the remote/rural lands around where such a suspect lives? Sure it's a long shot, but those are the types of avenues that investigators are supposed to go down. Had they even searched within a two mile radius of his apartment there's a chance they would have discovered the site, but there would be even more of a chance that this type of activity would have spooked Heinrich. They had all of the legal/political resources they needed in the beginning to make these types of things happen. I would have also searched around the area where Jared was assaulted. It's all a needle in the haystack type of approach but you at least make the effort to engage in these types of methods when there is such a plausible suspect.

If they wanted to dedicate personnel to handling the plethora of remote tips coming in from all around the country/world that's fine. In fact, it would be negligible not to do so. But these types of things rarely pan out. They are the longest of long shots, and the types of case where such leads would be applicable are the ones that are so rarely solved. When you have a big, juicy suspect with at least a couple of big red arrows pointing at him, you need to keep just as many resources devoted to exhausting every possible tactic.

Having said all of that, there are clearly a lot of things that went on behind the scenes, including the politics of all of this both within LE and in general, that caused divisions in the directions this case should take. Again, that is why efforts such as the podcast are still so important. I'm looking forward to it's conclusions, and to the continued discussions about this investigation.

It's of course easy for anyone to say in retrospect how obvious it should have been now that we know, to a large extent, what really happened. When looking at everything that was know to LE back then however, it does raise a lot of questions as to how and why they did certain things. This is why the podcast is still important at this point. Examining these things after the case has been solved is raising my eyebrows higher than ever before.

If LE knew about the Paynseville attacks, knew Heinrich was one of the few people who were suspected of committing them, believed that Heinrich was responsible for Jared's assault (which they did), and even half suspected that Jared's case and Jacob's were related, then it seems remarkable that they wouldn't remain more focused on him, even after his arrest and release. If you don't have enough to pin him, you keep working at it and keep digging ... especially in the absence of any other credible suspects. When your gut is screaming "this is the guy," you don't move on to other things just because you can't charge him with the crime. You do everything under the law to "harass" and put pressure on him.

If SO many resources went into searching for Jacob, why wouldn't you comb the remote/rural lands around where such a suspect lives? Sure it's a long shot, but those are the types of avenues that investigators are supposed to go down. Had they even searched within a two mile radius of his apartment there's a chance they would have discovered the site, but there would be even more of a chance that this type of activity would have spooked Heinrich. They had all of the legal/political resources they needed in the beginning to make these types of things happen. I would have also searched around the area where Jared was assaulted. It's all a needle in the haystack type of approach but you at least make the effort to engage in these types of methods when there is such a plausible suspect.

If they wanted to dedicate personnel to handling the plethora of remote tips coming in from all around the country/world that's fine. In fact, it would be negligible not to do so. But these types of things rarely pan out. They are the longest of long shots, and the types of case where such leads would be applicable are the ones that are so rarely solved. When you have a big, juicy suspect with at least a couple of big red arrows pointing at him, you need to keep just as many resources devoted to exhausting every possible tactic.

Having said all of that, there are clearly a lot of things that went on behind the scenes, including the politics of all of this both within LE and in general, that caused divisions in the directions this case should take. Again, that is why efforts such as the podcast are still so important. I'm looking forward to it's conclusions, and to the continued discussions about this investigation.

Best.Post.Ever.!

But jumping off the OP'e thoughts, it seems like your book could be a case study in how to conduct such an investigation. Look at every detail, share information with everyone and keep asking questions.

I totally agree.

Wow! Thank you so much. I know I sometimes let some bitterness come through. It's just that the last couple of years I've spent a lot of time observing what has gone on, and it's caused me to really appreciate history, and how we all live so fast that we miss a heckuva lot of the cause and affect. The case became unnecessarily complicated, and big. Very, very few people truly understand this case - and I know there's a whole lot more that I don't know about it, and maybe never will.

BBM

“The tragedy of life is not so much what men suffer, but rather what they miss.” - Thomas Carlyle

It time, it will become obvious the contribution you made in finding Jacob. The dust must settle first.

BBM

“The tragedy of life is not so much what men suffer, but rather what they miss.” - Thomas Carlyle

It time, it will become obvious the contribution you made in finding Jacob. The dust must settle first.
Love the quote, Tracker.

You have the right perspective on this😉
" when the dust settles "
I happen to believe you're right😊

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

In the podcast about this case, the last one , so far, is about tge problems with sex offenders.

This is going to sound disgusting, but to me it is what is postulated on that podcast.

Heinrich is pretty much a success story. He did his hand's on crimes, bought a house, had steady employment. Does not appear to have physically touched another child over 27 years. Success, right?

If he had been prosecuted in Jacob's death in 89, he would have had a sentence of 15 years was it? Don't they serve like 2/3?

I don't think he would have been prosecuted for Jared and the others cuz the DNA evidence could not be accessed with the technology available at the time.

So, is the kind of justice that we want?

In the original book I raised the possibility that it was one of Duane Hart's victims who kidnapped Jacob. A year ago I told Stearns County that one of Hart's victims knew where Jacob was buried. It was laughed off according to a local reporter.....

http://www.paynesvillearea.com

I'm getting only 1 page as well.

In the original book I raised the possibility that it was one of Duane Hart's victims who kidnapped Jacob. A year ago I told Stearns County that one of Hart's victims knew where Jacob was buried. It was laughed off according to a local reporter.....

Even though in 89 Duane Hart was dismissed as having nothing to do with it, I felt there was somethung there ( I can say that as it turned out to be that he did)

When I found WS, I kept asking on here who the guy was in Paynesville who worked on a turkey farm and had abused lots of boys.

I googled and googled and got nowhere as I had info mixed up-- combined Paynesville with Duane Hart.

I kept asking the question until somehow jbrown figured out to look in the Paynesville paper . I think Sher suggested how to access the archives.

It is very strange to me how such a truly perverted person did try to help by giving Heinrich's name-- a person he had molested when Heinrich was a child. Such strange things.

I'm not so sure how strange it is. It might be a matter of taking the spotlight off himself. It might be that child murder was repellent even to a molester. It also might be that he had reason to know what he said was true. Just my thoughts on this.

I'm not so sure how strange it is. It might be a matter of taking the spotlight off himself. It might be that child murder was repellent even to a molester. It also might be that he had reason to know what he said was true. Just my thoughts on this.

His history was so horrendous. The abuse he suffered and inflcted was sickening beyond words. The only thing that makes sense is that he wanted the spotlight off of him,

In light of recent events...your words in the original book become illuminescent. Incredible! You told Stearns County that one of Hart's victims knew where Jacob was buried....and it was ignored?!!! Thankfully you've been vindicated and justly so. There are some here who glom on to your vindication but their glom will never stick. You deserve kudos for your "stick to it-ness" and your perseverance and faith in pursuing the facts. It's "funny"(not really at all) but those who "laughed it off" now must face their own previous demeanor.

In light of recent events...your words in the original book become illuminescent. Incredible! You told Stearns County that one of Hart's victims knew where Jacob was buried....and it was ignored?!!! Thankfully you've been vindicated and justly so. There are some here who glom on to your vindication but their glom will never stick. You deserve kudos for your "stick to it-ness" and your perseverance and faith in pursuing the facts. It's "funny"(not really at all) but those who "laughed it off" now must face their own previous demeanor.

What is even more stunning, now that we know exactly what Stearns was doing and where their focus was from July 2013 up until September 2014 (On Duane Hart), is they should have been ALL OVER any tip that originated from known associates of Duane Hart and/or Danny Heinrich. Another big whiff.

Furthermore, and this is totally coincidence, I sent a tip that Heinrich and Hart used to hang out by a secluded pond by trees north of the RR tracks, north of Paynesville, by the Crow River. Total coincidence that LE was searching that same place that very same day. Must have freaked them out to read that one! Again, what it was, was a Paynesville resident who told me that her siblings used to hang with Hart and Heinrich in that spot back in the day. I have long said...the burial spot will be somewhere that Heinrich felt comfortable.

BTW...it seems very calm right now....always a calm before the storm. Sure feels like a storm brewing up...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Starlitedragon
Back