Teacher, 41, resigns, leaves wife, moves in with 18-year-old student

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
This case is going to be on Dr. Phil today if anyone is interested. Just saw a commerical that featured the mother, daughter, and teacher.

I'm starting to get the impression that these people are loving the attention, however negative. :rolleyes:

This case is going to be on Dr. Phil today if anyone is interested. Just saw a commerical that featured the mother, daughter, and teacher.

I have it on now. This "man" just disgusts me. And he has trained her well to cover up for him.

The girl doesn't seem to understand the concept of how much hurt his wife and children are undergoing. At the very least, the family has their church supporting them.

I'm not a Dr Phil fan but I tuned-in today when notified above, to watch some of the show to get a better read on this pair.

Both seem to love a stage; but there was a marked difference in how they presented, as might be expected...

He, of many carefully constructed words and not much variation in facial expression. She, of 'teeny' words and plenty of brat expression on her face, in reaction shots as well.

"Leave them alone, and they will come home..." applies here, re this foolish girl. She appears to be a very immature 18. I'm left to wonder about the relationship with her Mother prior to this catastrophe...

That said, my take: Her Mother might try ignoring her daughter completely for a time. Perhaps then, the media would leave the story alone. Once reality sets-in...it won't take long...

~jmo~

Wouldn't it be ... something .... if these two and the young woman's mother set this all up? Look at the names he was called on NG's show without a shred of evidence he was a pedophile, nothing. Just a bunch of texts between them that she couldn't read.

I never saw this as a story that should have gotten this much attention UNLESS it was proved he had sex with her prior to her turning 18...then arrest him. Since he was on Dr. Phil and not in an orange uniform, I'll assume this hasn't happened yet?

Wouldn't it be ... something .... if these two and the young woman's mother set this all up? Look at the names he was called on NG's show without a shred of evidence he was a pedophile, nothing. Just a bunch of texts between them that she couldn't read.

I never saw this as a story that should have gotten this much attention UNLESS it was proved he had sex with her prior to her turning 18...then arrest him. Since he was on Dr. Phil and not in an orange uniform, I'll assume this hasn't happened yet?

I believe the investigation is still open and as such, no charges yet if ever.

It would not be easy for the Prosecutor to charge the case unless there is reliable evidence in text messages before she turned 18, or if either of them admitted sexual contact before that date (no way, not now), or if some other proof emerged about which we've not yet heard.

I must admit that I too felt something was amiss when the story first broke. Something wasn't quite right about the mother...

Time will tell on this one...or else it will just fade-away and we'll never know the outcome.

~jmo~

California Teacher in Relationship With Student Arrested for Sexual Assault

http://abcnews.go.com/US/california...ship-charged-sexual-assault/story?id=16089773

"A high school teacher who left his family to date a former student was arrested today on charges of sexually assaulting a different student years ago."

"James Hooker, 41, was arrested in Modesto, Calif., after police discovered he had an an alleged sexual relationship with a 17-year-old student in 1998. Hooker has been under investigation for his involvement with 18-year-old Jordan Powers, his former business class student, with whom he appeared on national TV programs earlier this year to profess his love."

Wonder what is going on with the 18 year old now...

Wonder what is going on with the 18 year old now...
Maybe there's hope she can be deprogrammed from him while he is locked up, and reunited with her mother! The girl might still have a future if she can see what a predator he is!

California Teacher in Relationship With Student Arrested for Sexual Assault

http://abcnews.go.com/US/california...ship-charged-sexual-assault/story?id=16089773

"A high school teacher who left his family to date a former student was arrested today on charges of sexually assaulting a different student years ago."

"James Hooker, 41, was arrested in Modesto, Calif., after police discovered he had an an alleged sexual relationship with a 17-year-old student in 1998. Hooker has been under investigation for his involvement with 18-year-old Jordan Powers, his former business class student, with whom he appeared on national TV programs earlier this year to profess his love."

In NYS 17 is legal.

Gentle reminder that we can't copy and paste from social media sites at WS. It's OK to post link and direct readers to pertinent posts.

http://www.ksee24.com/news/local/Mo...-on-Sex-Charges--146482955.html?m=y&smobile=y

On her page this afternoon, Tammie Mullins Powers wrote:"Yes, confirmed James Hooker is in custudy. I am with my daughter as I post this."

She reunited with Jordan Powers and shortly after noon packed her daughter's things at Hooker's Modesto apartment. She sent a text message to Modesto Bee reporter Nan Austin, saying she was taking Jordan to catch a flight to an undisclosed location this afternoon.

LOL he thought he was so smart, waiting until she turned 18, then right away "announcing".... saying of course there wasn't any sexual relationship until she turned 18. LOL he thought that would keep him out of trouble. He didn't consider the other kids he had taken advantage of, seeing this, and how it would affect them.

I can't help but wonder if the girl knew he had taken advantage of other students before her, that it wasn't because she was so special to him that he took the risk.

I just knew in my bones Tammie wasn't his first "romantic" encounter with a student! Prayers for justice, mother and daughter to heal, the new victim and any others out there and also for this perv's family as well-as I recall his daughter attends the same school he taught at and Tammie was from. :grouphug:

And with all the scrutiny...will she be proven to be the "one and only' girl that he has had questionable relationships with?
I have a feeling there have been others.

Boy were you right! Once a perv, always a perv. He has a total sex predator look about him. And, there is a "look."

snipped for space

Maybe he quit to avoid being fired for meddling with a student and/or problems with other concerned parents if he continued teaching?

Exactly. And BTW, in California, one cannot quit their job to avoid paying child support. He would be charged a child support payment that is based on the salary from the job he voluntarily left.

I believe the investigation is still open and as such, no charges yet if ever.

It would not be easy for the Prosecutor to charge the case unless there is reliable evidence in text messages before she turned 18, or if either of them admitted sexual contact before that date (no way, not now), or if some other proof emerged about which we've not yet heard.

I must admit that I too felt something was amiss when the story first broke. Something wasn't quite right about the mother...

Time will tell on this one...or else it will just fade-away and we'll never know the outcome.

~jmo~

I simply saw a desperate, horrified mother wanting to make sure that Hooker couldn't slink away in the night with her young, immature daughter. She saw a sex predator steal her kid. Because of the law and the age and her daughter keeping her mouth shut, there wasn't much she could do but apply pressure and make sure the authorities and the media knew what a creep he was so some attention would be paid to him. I applaud her.

In NYS 17 is legal.

It's 18 in California without parental permission.

That's a different name?

That's her mom, Tammie.

Boy were you right! Once a perv, always a perv. He has a total sex predator look about him. And, there is a "look."

Exactly. And BTW, in California, one cannot quit their job to avoid paying child support. He would be charged a child support payment that is based on the salary from the job he voluntarily left.

I simply saw a desperate, horrified mother wanting to make sure that Hooker couldn't slink away in the night with her young, immature daughter. She saw a sex predator steal her kid. Because of the law and the age and her daughter keeping her mouth shut, there wasn't much she could do but apply pressure and make sure the authorities and the media knew what a creep he was so some attention would be paid to him. I applaud her.

It's 18 in California without parental permission.

That's her mom, Tammie.

BBM

I was just making a point that it's odd that in certain stares it wouldn't be a crime. IIRC, some states are 16.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forensicsdropout
Back