Teen sues parents after being ‘kicked out,’ wants money

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
"A psychologist certified that the parents are abusive. School faculty certified that the parents abuse the child," Helfand wrote, asking that the parents pay for a legal guardian and that a gag order be placed on all parties to refrain from discussing the case.

Family Division Judge Peter Bogaard in Morris County, who is handling the case, denied the application.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/20...seeks_guardian_for_teen_who_sued_parents.html

I don't believe this. I think you can get always get someone one to support your side whether there is evidence or not. What is abuse? beating? keeping her to the rules? Some people think making their kids eat dinner or go without is abuse.

IF she has an amazing family. She didn't grow up in a vacuum - Rachel is the person she is today in part because of her upbringing. I'm not willing to hang a halo on these parents' heads.

IMO They are amazing because no way in hello would I ever have opened the door for this selfish brat to ever come home again after all she has pulled.She was actively trying to destroy her parents marriage.After she said her father acted improper with her ,how can they ever trust her again.She is a very twisted young woman and they can come from decent,good parents. She is beyond a spoiled brat.

I wonder what the father of her friends real motive was, he was the one who financed this fiasco. Something is very off with him IMO.

According to an audiotape of the proceeding, it began with the judge saying that it was his understanding that Rachel wished to dismiss the lawsuit. Helfand said she wanted “a proper voir dire” — questioning — of her client and elicited from Rachel that she was acting in a knowing and voluntary manner and was not being forced or coerced to dismiss the lawsuit.

Helfand reminded Rachel that she returned to her parents’ home on March 11 but a few days earlier had been resistant to a reunion. She reminded Rachel that a written proposal to end the lawsuit had been sent to her parents on March 10 yet was immediately followed up by Rachel going back to Lincoln Park the next day.

“We want to make sure you are not overwhelmed or confused,” Helfand said. “Are you comfortable with what’s going on in the household at this point?” Rachel responded yes.

Saying he wanted to “keep our eyes” on the stated goal of ending the lawsuit, the judge stopped Helfand from delving into accusations Rachel made against her parents in her lawsuit by limiting her to asking Rachel whether her certifications were “true and accurate.” Rachel said they were.

Helfand also wanted to know whether Rachel intended to pursue therapy but was stopped from exploring the area.

“She’s 18 years old! You’re now opening up HIPPA?” the judge asked Helfand, referring to federal privacy regulations on an individual’s medical history.

“She’s a vulnerable person and I’m trying to make sure she’s protected,” Helfand told the judge.

Within moments, Bogaard ruled that he found Rachel was making a knowing and voluntary decision to end her lawsuit and he granted her request for dismissal.

“She’s obviously an intelligent young woman who has a very bright future,” Bogaard said. “We wish everyone good luck. The parties are encouraged to look forward, not back.”

http://www.dailyrecord.com/article/.../Rachel-Canning-drops-lawsuit-against-parents

I wonder what the father of her friends real motive was, he was the one who financed this fiasco. Something is very off with him IMO.

Inglesino in a prepared statement Tuesday said: “My family and I are pleased that Rachel Canning has reunited with her family and can now plan for her future. That’s my statement for today.”

Inglesino, who was not at the hearing, declined to say whether he would try to recoup the fees he paid Helfand from the Cannings.

http://www.dailyrecord.com/article/.../Rachel-Canning-drops-lawsuit-against-parents

I don't know what Helfand's and Inglesino's real agenda was by bringing this lawsuit, but I am pleased to see that, in the end, they both had their butts handed back to them on a silver platter, and one is out an alleged 13K.

Wow, Helfand seems to WANT to prolong the estrangement. Is it really about concern for Rachel, or is it about money? Or is it just a natural inclination to argue and engage in organized conflict, the desire to come out the "winner"?

Wow, Helfand seems to WANT to prolong the estrangement. Is it really about concern for Rachel, or is it about money? Or is it just a natural inclination to argue and engage in organized conflict, the desire to come out the "winner"?

Trying to put myself in her place, I would be concerned if a client made a sudden about-face in what she wanted for her case. I'm on the fence about what Rachel's home life was truly like. But if even part of what she claimed is true, it is certainly a volatile environment. For her to abruptly return home and then to decide to drop the suit, I think that's grounds for concern.

Now, whether Helfand was actually concerned, who's to say. But I will admit that I myself have concerns about her abrupt change. Her suit should never have been filed, and it wasn't likely to win. However, I don't think returning home to her parents is necessarily a great idea either. If she were my client, I'd want to be more certain she wasn't making this decision under duress.

Definitely haven't seen the last of her.

Maybe she was offered $14K per year, so over four years that would be correct.

Trying to give her the benefit of the doubt, lol.

'Spoiled' cheerleader who lost lawsuit against parents picks a college and brags about $56,000 scholarship - even though tuition is just $47,000

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...s-56-000-scholarship-tuition-just-47-000.html

According to your link, that tuition rate is for just one year! My kid would be going to the local community college if I were her parents.

From the Daily Mail site:

According to the school's website, engineering students can expect to pay $47,560 a year to attend the school, an estimate that includes tuition, a student activities fee, services fee, and room and board

Any man who ends up marrying this entitled, self serving brat deserves what they get.

“Decision made. WNE U class of 2018 BME Major w/ 56,000$ scholarship,” read the Facebook post.

The post had more than 145 likes before it was removed or restricted to the public at about 1:30 p.m. Tuesday.

A Western New England spokesman on Tuesday confirmed Canning was accepted into the university Tuesday afternoon.

http://www.dailyrecord.com/article/20140401/NJNEWS/304010024/

I'm sure it's $14,000 per year, a typical scholarship from a private school.

According to the College Board, SAT requirements to get into this school are:

Critical Reading: 470-570
Math: 490-610
They do not take into account the writing part of the SAT test.

ACT: 22-26

https://bigfuture.collegeboard.org/...sity?tp=bf&searchType=site_qfs&bf_cat=college

Less selective: 82% of applicants admitted

About 90 percent of Western New England College students receive some form of financial aid. Assistance may include merit scholarships, need-based scholarships, grants, employment, and loans. In 2010/2011, annual merit based scholarships ranged from $5,000-$15,250.

bbm

According to the College Board, SAT requirements to get into this school are:

Critical Reading: 470-570
Math: 490-610
They do not take into account the writing part of the SAT test.

ACT: 22-26

https://bigfuture.collegeboard.org/...sity?tp=bf&searchType=site_qfs&bf_cat=college

Less selective: 82% of applicants admitted

About 90 percent of Western New England College students receive some form of financial aid. Assistance may include merit scholarships, need-based scholarships, grants, employment, and loans. In 2010/2011, annual merit based scholarships ranged from $5,000-$15,250.

bbm

Thanks for the link JerseyGirl. I tried to find the financial stuff the other day, but wasn't able. This site does state it is $48,990 on-campus per year. Surely you are right that her scholarship is broken down for the four years expected. I imagine each new year (or semester) is dependent on passing each year/semester, or some other stipulation.

Thanks for the link JerseyGirl. I tried to find the financial stuff the other day, but wasn't able. This site does state it is $48,990 on-campus per year. Surely you are right that her scholarship is broken down for the four years expected. I imagine each new year (or semester) is dependent on passing each year/semester, or some other stipulation.

Probably need to maintain a 3.0 average in college in order to continue to receive merit scholarships.
___

Further proof the $56k was for all 4 years:

http://www1.wne.edu/admissions/index.cfm?selection=doc.4133

If you look at the chart in the above link:

If GPA is between 3.25 and 3.60 and your SAT scores are between 1060 and 1250 or ACT scores between 23-28, you'll receive
$14,000 annually or $56,000 for 4 years.

bbm

I really do not understand this phenomena of posting every single detail of your life online, set to public, for all the world to see. What was this girl and her parents thinking when they allowed her to post which college she will be attending??? Do they not understand how notorious and reviled she has become?

Hello-- there are bad people out there who could be stalkers, or worse. This seems to be incredibly bad judgment to me.

Clearly she doesn't want to quietly try to blend back into life, and try to make amends to those she hurt. It's still "all about her". Big shot on campus.

I feel badly for her classmates and future college teachers and colleagues. I sure wouldn't want to hire her, no matter how good her grades are.

Too bad she didn't quietly petition the courts to change her name, and disappear anonymously to start her life over.

ETA: And if she was MY kid, the only way she would be starting ANY college on MY dime is at a community college for at least one- two years, living at home, and taking public transportation to get there. And holding down a part time job to pay some rent at home. And doing household chores. IMO, her parents just rewarded her with a fancy college experience, to celebrate the misery and publicity she caused them. They hold some blame in this kid's narcissism and entitlement, too, IMO.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hernak
Back