Teen sues parents after being ‘kicked out,’ wants money

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
A Western New England University spokesman confirmed to New Jersey's Daily Record that Canning was accepted to the school. While the university declined to disclose the scholarship amount, citing privacy laws, a spokeswoman did discuss in general its scholarship policy.

"To be clear, Western New England University routinely offers merit scholarships to incoming freshmen based on academic achievement." "These scholarships range from $5,500 to $16,500 annually and are renewable for four years -- as long as a student continually meets certain academic benchmarks. Therefore, these merit scholarships can total between $22,000 and $66,000 over the course of four years. These scholarships are awarded to all incoming freshmen who meet the academic criteria, independent of financial need."

http://www.ibtimes.com/rachel-canni...-support-gets-56k-scholarship-western-1566466

_________

One year of tuition at the school for an undergraduate engineering student is $32,606, and room and board is an additional, $12,700, according to the university's website.

So, basically all she received was enough scholarship money for room and board. She'll still need to come up with at least $30,000 a year for tuition.

Stupid. Go to Rutgers, get some scholarship money and spend not even half that!

Didn't she have truancy issues? How do you manage academic achievement AND truancy problems at the same time?

I really do not understand this phenomena of posting every single detail of your life online, set to public, for all the world to see.

I agree. The concept of "private" seems to be becoming obsolete. I just read today that Tory Spelling and her husband will begin filming a reality show "to document the end of their marriage." WTH?! Why would anyone want to document a contentious divorce for all the world to see? Are they really that desperate for money? It seems many people have no problem selling out for a buck these days, young children and personal dignity notwithstanding. Anything and everything needs to be "shared."

A Western New England University spokesman confirmed to New Jersey's Daily Record that Canning was accepted to the school. While the university declined to disclose the scholarship amount, citing privacy laws, a spokeswoman did discuss in general its scholarship policy.

"To be clear, Western New England University routinely offers merit scholarships to incoming freshmen based on academic achievement." "These scholarships range from $5,500 to $16,500 annually and are renewable for four years -- as long as a student continually meets certain academic benchmarks. Therefore, these merit scholarships can total between $22,000 and $66,000 over the course of four years. These scholarships are awarded to all incoming freshmen who meet the academic criteria, independent of financial need."

http://www.ibtimes.com/rachel-canni...-support-gets-56k-scholarship-western-1566466

_________

One year of tuition at the school for an undergraduate engineering student is $32,606, and room and board is an additional, $12,700, according to the university's website.

So, basically all she received was enough scholarship money for room and board. She'll still need to come up with at least $30,000 a year for tuition.

Stupid. Go to Rutgers, get some scholarship money and spend not even half that!

They say its typical for freshmen but my son was offered alot to go to WNE and he's actually starting as a junior once he has his associates credits this summer. He grads hs in June & was seriously considering it, but decided to go somewhere else bc once dorm/apartment fees, food, transportation/gas are considered it tends to build up to alot more money. He's doing exactly what you said JerseyGirl. He's finishing his ba here in NJ and should be able to swing that for just about free based on merit, community service, helping to assist teach, etc. then he'll go somewhere in FL when we move. It won't take him long for his ba bc he'll go all year long. Plus something else to consider is that books are expensive even when rented, but def alot cheaper than buying outright. Wonder why she chose WNE over Rutgers. Maybe to get farther away? I think it's smart to keep loans to a minimum and do what you can for in state rates when you're looking at alot of years. My boy's looking at 6-8 more after this. O. M. G.

Didn't she have truancy issues? How do you manage academic achievement AND truancy problems at the same time?

Not o y that but how is someone awarded a merit scholarship with a track record of truancy and getting into trouble no matter how good their grades are? You can get all 99's in every subject but get busted for pot & lose a scholarship. You can be passed up on scholarships and also not even admitted to certain universities if you don't have community service hours in. WNE? Hmmm...

Not o y that but how is someone awarded a merit scholarship with a track record of truancy and getting into trouble no matter how good their grades are? You can get all 99's in every subject but get busted for pot & lose a scholarship. You can be passed up on scholarships and also not even admitted to certain universities if you don't have community service hours in. WNE? Hmmm...

They probably didn't have the truancy in her high school transcript, or it'll be there in her final transcript. She was suspended twice in early senior year. Besides, maybe they didn't ask on her application or she lied.

Clearly, she received the minimum in scholarship money from a private school. The school will give anyone who is accepted at least $5500 a year.

I had to keep reading back and forth to figure out we have two Jersey ladies here! JerseyGirl and Jersey*Girl are two different people! :floorlaugh:

Jersey*Girl, congrats to your boy for using common sense! Hope he does well and reaches his goals!

...ETA: And if she was MY kid, the only way she would be starting ANY college on MY dime is at a community college for at least one- two years, living at home, and taking public transportation to get there. And holding down a part time job to pay some rent at home. And doing household chores. IMO, her parents just rewarded her with a fancy college experience, to celebrate the misery and publicity she caused them. They hold some blame in this kid's narcissism and entitlement, too, IMO.

<respectfully snipped>

It's bad enough that Canning's parents will fork over mega-bucks for their spoiled daughter's higher education, but the over-indulged teen will probably demand a trendy wardrobe now that she won't be wearing a school uniform. From photos of her formal frocks, it seems that Rachel has expensive taste in wearing apparel and won't settle for less. College roommates can be very competitive, and no doubt Rachel will expect her folks to give her whatever she wants to keep up with her peers. Can't say that I feel sorry for her parents: They have enabled Rachel's behaviors. :moo:

<respectfully snipped>

It's bad enough that Canning's parents will fork over mega-bucks for their spoiled daughter's higher education, but the over-indulged teen will probably demand a trendy wardrobe now that she won't be wearing a school uniform. From photos of her formal frocks, it seems that Rachel has expensive taste in wearing apparel and won't settle for less. College roommates can be very competitive, and no doubt Rachel will expect her folks to give her whatever she wants to keep up with her peers. Can't say that I feel sorry for her parents: They have enabled Rachel's behaviors. :moo:

Disclaimer*

I'm not defending this girls behavior!

But... It's normal for teens to have a certain sense of entitlement and behave in a way that looks remarkably like narcissism.
Their parents usually are very successful and nipping it in bud and giving the necessary reality check.

What isn't normal...is the child having an adult, a lawyer no less, thwart the parents attempts to modify and correct the behavior.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Disclaimer*

I'm not defending this girls behavior!

But... It's normal for teens to have a certain sense of entitlement and behave in a way that looks remarkably like narcissism.
Their parents usually are very successful and nipping it in bud and giving the necessary reality check.

What isn't normal...is the child having an adult, a lawyer no less, thwart the parents attempts to modify and correct the behavior.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well said.

They probably feel it is worth every penny to get her out of their home !

I really[/I

ETA: And if she was MY kid, the only way she would be starting ANY college on MY dime is at a community college for at least one- two years, living at home, and taking public transportation to get there. And holding down a part time job to pay some rent at home. And doing household chores. IMO, her parents just rewarded her with a fancy college experience, to celebrate the misery and publicity she caused them. They hold some blame in this kid's narcissism and entitlement, too, IMO.

rsbm; You're generous, imo. After her obnoxious public defaming, if me- she would have to take out student loans, and participate in a work study program for the rest. I wouldn't give her a dime.

Yes, Rachel posted that she was accepted;
college confirmed she was accepted;
both said agreed on amt of scholarship $.

Have parents stated they plan to pay for her to attend?
To make up the for the diff at that college?

IIRC, I read that they said /ack'ed in ct docs,
that her college fund would still be avail to her.
But I do not recall any discussion of $ amt.

Anyone?

Yes, Rachel posted that she was accepted;
college confirmed she was accepted;
both said agreed on amt of scholarship $.

Have parents stated they plan to pay for her to attend?
To make up the for the diff at that college?

IIRC, I read that they said /ack'ed in ct docs,
that her college fund would still be avail to her.
But I do not recall any discussion of $ amt.

Anyone?

&#8220;Decision made. WNE U class of 2018 BME Major w/ 56,000$ scholarship,&#8221; read the Facebook post.

The post ... was removed or restricted to the public at about 1:30 p.m. Tuesday.

http://www.dailyrecord.com/article/20140401/NJNEWS/304010024/

"Decision made" she said, I don't know if it was "her" decision or a "family" decision.

bbm

EXCLUSIVE: The brat is back! Spoiled cheerleader Rachel Canning pictured partying weeks after moving back home - with the very boyfriend her parents banned her from seeing

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...yfriend-mom-dad-banned-seeing-moved-home.html
Big surprise! NOT!! What a waste of a good scholarship that could've gone to somebody deserving that would actually benefit from it. I'll bet her parents are having second thoughts about taking her back in. Maybe the Kitzmillers would be willing seeing as their son is such a good influence on her!

There are hundreds of thousands of teens in the US who are neglected, abused, raped, addicted to drugs, sold into sex slavery, etc. Thinking about them makes me want to b^*%
slap this spoiled rotten brat.

Rachel Canning has gotten a domestic violence temporary restraining order against her boyfriend -- the man her parents had wanted her to stop seeing.

Canning accused Lucas Kitzmiller of choking her with his hands during a quarrel after midnight Saturday into the early morning hours Sunday. Canning and Kitzmiller were together in Mine Hill when he allegedly assaulted Rachel on the street. She fled in her vehicle -- while Kitzmiller allegedly tried to stop her -- and drove to Denville Police headquarters. She filed a domestic violence complaint against Kitzmiller and a temporary restraining order was issued by a municipal court judge based upon her allegations..

The pair are to appear Wednesday in Superior Court, Morristown, for a hearing on whether the restraining order should be made final. Kitzmiiller could agree to the restraints or a trial could be held where the order could be dismissed by the judge or Canning could seek its dismissal.

http://www.dailyrecord.com/story/ne...ts-gets-restraining-order-boyfriend/12984967/

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Karla Enriquez
Back