Teen sues parents after being ‘kicked out,’ wants money

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
http://www.mycentraljersey.com/vide...1/Judge-denies-Rachel-Canning-s-support-claim

Why is Inglesino standing with Rachel and her lawyer before the judge at 7:00 in this video? I thought he was only there for financial support, looks to me he's representing her in some fashion.

Are you referring to him being in front of the bar with the girl's lawyer after her father went to try and talk to her? If that's the part, he's just "protecting" poor Rachel from her horrible dad. Technically, the Dad isn't allowed to talk to her about the case since she's represented by counsel.

There is a certain degree of "prestige" associated with any student whose parents opt to send them to private or parochial schools. Rachel's parents have paid $12,000+ annually (plus books, fees, transportation, uniform, etc.) for their daughter to attend a Catholic high school rather than the local public schools. I'm sure that there are schools that are more elite, pricier, and perhaps more prestigious, but Morris Catholic still offers a private education as opposed to Rachael attending public school.

Yes. I was just saying that, in this area, that school is pretty far down the totem pole in terms of prestige. These are not, for the most part, the children of wealthy families compared to most of the immediate area. In other words, Rachel's snooty attitude would be taken down about 100 pegs by her "peers" at, say, Far Hills Country Day. Which is an elementary school that costs about 5 times as much as Morris Catholic. Among many, many others. Not sure if you saw my post -- but I actually went to Morris Catholic. We weren't all that - BY FAR lol [I secretly hope she reads this lol]

Don't know why this case brought me back to my own childhood with Claire and Cliff... but, here it is...

[video=youtube;gJ92MLZSMXM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJ92MLZSMXM[/video]

My mom was a single mother of three girls. ONE TIME, my sister (in her teens of course) threatened to call DCF on my mom (totally false allegations) and my mom handed my sister the phone and told her she better call 911 immediately after because she was going to whoop her butt.

My mother NEVER abused us. Of course she had to be tough. My mom went through hell with my older sister and myself and my younger sister were so hurt by how my sister treated our mother, we never treated her the same way. My sisters behavior made my mother sick. Literally sick.

Luckily... because of tough love... my mom has all three of her adult daughters living productive and healthy lives.

I want to take this kid and SHAKE her. She had everything in the world handed to her (we didn't) and she is going to throw it all away? If I were her parents, I'd be done with her for a while. It sucks! My mom had to do it with my older sister, but trust me when I say, they do learn from tough love.

Are you referring to him being in front of the bar with the girl's lawyer after her father went to try and talk to her? If that's the part, he's just "protecting" poor Rachel from her horrible dad. Technically, the Dad isn't allowed to talk to her about the case since she's represented by counsel.

Actually, that's incorrect. Parties can talk to one another about the case all they want. The Cannings attorney could not talk to Rachel about the case when she is represented, however.

Actually, that's incorrect. Parties can talk to one another about the case all they want. The Cannings attorney could not talk to Rachel about the case when she is represented, however.

You're right. Sorry. If I was his lawyer I wouldn't have let him do it, though. That had the potential to go way South.

eta: you practice family law, right. In that area of practice are the parties encouraged to talk to each other directly?

Gitana - do you have any feelings about the "no fault" " you gotta pay for this kid no matter what" and what Rachel's lawyer also said about the Canning parents make false statements? How is she going to prove that? Does it matter? Can she say whatever she wants in a hearing but have nothing to back it up?

I see Casey Anthony and her family antics going on here.
What a terribly sad situation for this family.:facepalm:
Especially the parents.

I watched and read the papers, too. I think the girl's lawyer was gilding the lily on a lot of her claims -- including this one. Based on the pleadings, I think it will come out that the school called the Inglesino's as an alternative because Rachel was staying with her boyfriend and THAT was totally unacceptable to the school. Not sure what the school's understanding was about why Rachel was not staying at her home, but I think they had initiated the DYFS investigation based on Rachel's reporting. So maybe the timing of the school letting her go to the Inglesino's as an initial matter was pending the DYFS investigation that found no abuse, idk. I'd also like to read the Schilling affidavit. The lawyer says that Rachel was absolved of the drinking, but I think it was more like they just couldn't prove it. The list goes on. Fortunately, it sounds like the Judge isn't having any of it. He was basically saying to Rachel's lawyer, work it out amongst yourselves, because you won't like what I do. jmo

I agree with everything you wrote. I shook my head at the part where her attorney rambled on about what bad parents they were for not contacting their daughter or going to group therapy (that is after she left the home in Nov, I believe that RC parents tried for group therapy prior to her leaving). The judges asks her attorney what RC's therapist said about group therapy - and she had to admit that the therapist recommended no contact with the parents. (I heard wa waa waaaaaa in my head while that was happening)

IMO - The judge, very nicely, mopped the floor with RC's attorney. Is she attached to Mr. Inglesino's firm?

https://www.facebook.com/educationforrachel
Read the comments to her posts, one post has over 1,000 comments.

I hate to say this, but I feel a little sorry for Rachel looking at that FB page. Serious hate going on.

Her father spoke today:
“The war drums keep beating against her. My wife and I are pained to see this, to see her be savaged, to see Rachel be tabloid fodder.”
Sean Canning said: “We don't think Rachel wrote those; maybe it's someone close to her. We just think this is a terrible tragedy, it's just become tabloid material. We want Rachel to come home.”
http://www.dailyrecord.com/article/...aughter-savaged-by-public-after-lawsuit-filed

I feel doubly bad for Mom and Dad. But.... they still seem to think it's "other people" who are to blame for Rachel's behavior

http://www.mycentraljersey.com/vide...1/Judge-denies-Rachel-Canning-s-support-claim

Why is Inglesino standing with Rachel and her lawyer before the judge at 7:00 in this video? I thought he was only there for financial support, looks to me he's representing her in some fashion.

In a different video I saw him sitting at the table with a chair in between Rachel and her attorney. Then it looked like court had begun and he had been sent to the gallery and his chair removed....What is that about?

I agree with everything you wrote. I shook my head at the part where her attorney rambled on about what bad parents they were for not contacting their daughter or going to group therapy (that is after she left the home in Nov, I believe that RC parents tried for group therapy prior to her leaving). The judges asks her attorney what RC's therapist said about group therapy - and she had to admit that the therapist recommended no contact with the parents. (I heard wa waa waaaaaa in my head while that was happening)

IMO - The judge, very nicely, mopped the floor with RC's attorney. Is she attached to Mr. Inglesino's firm?

The lady attorney saying that the Cannings were lying, that they should have been so embarrassed by this whole episode, that they rejected Mr Inglesino's attempts to help....Made my blood boil
.... then when the judge asked her if she was aware that the MC teacher had actually reported something different to "The Division" and she answered
"Well, Morris Catholic has retained an attorney now" ...... I felt a little better

I don't think she's directly attached to Inglesino's firm, but I'm sure there's a connection. Her office is close by in Whippany and I'm guessing Inglesino knows a colleague or two who's used her in a divorce proceeding, at least.

I hate to say this, but I feel a little sorry for Rachel looking at that FB page. Serious hate going on.

I feel doubly bad for Mom and Dad. But.... they still seem to think it's "other people" who are to blame for Rachel's behavior

In a different video I saw him sitting at the table with a chair in between Rachel and her attorney. Then it looked like court had begun and he had been sent to the gallery and his chair removed....What is that about?

The lady attorney saying that the Cannings were lying, that they should have been so embarrassed by this whole episode, that they rejected Mr Inglesino's attempts to help....Made my blood boil
.... then when the judge asked her if she was aware that the MC teacher had actually reported something different to "The Division" and she answered
"Well, Morris Catholic has retained an attorney now" ...... I felt a little better

Re the bold, usually only the lawyers arguing and their clients are allowed past the gallery. He's an attorney himself, so it was fine for him to be there before court started. jmo. Gitana will smack me if I'm wrong :seeya:

As a single mother sending half of her paychecks to her daughter, this case caught my eye. She has always worked hard and went to a second choice school for her undergraduate because it was a full ride. She excelled and was admitted to a school on the east coast that I completely scoffed at. (graduate school) She will owe much in student loans but I am helping as I can. It is her dream.

I don't know who is more pathetic. The man fronting this absurd lawsuit or the daughter who believes her parents owe her. I am astounded.

Watching her parents break down during the hearing sealed the deal for me. Rachel is not right and needs help. I'm not even sure she can be helped.

The judges asks her attorney what RC's therapist said about group therapy - and she had to admit that the therapist recommended no contact with the parents. (I heard wa waa waaaaaa in my head while that was happening)

And I believe another argument the parents have is that they haven't even been able to speak to this therapist, so how is that helping the family?

RC's attorney is not attached to Inglesino's firm, but she's just a puppet of his.

Re the bold, usually only the lawyers arguing and their clients are allowed past the gallery. He's an attorney himself, so it was fine for him to be there before court started. jmo. Gitana will smack me if I'm wrong :seeya:

but he's not of record so I don't believe he belongs on that side of the wall in the courtroom. He can sit and lean over if he needs to talk. Just strikes me as why does he need to be there in the frey, is he coaching the lawyer??

but he's not of record so I don't believe he belongs on that side of the wall in the courtroom. He can sit and lean over if he needs to talk. Just strikes me as why does he need to be there in the frey, is he coaching the lawyer??

Whether he should be there is a completely different issue then whether he can be there. lol If someone like that was harboring my daughter, trying to tell me what I could do to "get her back," encouraging her and paying for her to sue me -- well, let's just say the meeting at Paul's Diner wouldn't have ended without a police presence. Not even kidding.

Whether he should be there is a completely different issue then whether he can be there. lol If someone like that was harboring my daughter, trying to tell me what I could do to "get her back," encouraging her and paying for her to sue me -- well, let's just say the meeting at Paul's Diner wouldn't have ended without a police presence. Not even kidding.

Karmady, I so very much agree! i can't help but think the BF's father has caused much of this and turned this girl's future into even worse chaos.

I have zero sympathy for her. Ya reap what you sow. Another life lesson she needs to learn...on her own.
If she had any sense at all, she'd take down her Facebook page. Her benefactor attempted to distance her from that page, he was doing damage control. He failed. He knows how to have that page removed .... If that's what she wanted. It's obvious to me, she's enjoying this. All of it.
She's enjoying hurting her parents, she enjoys the attention.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Karmady, I so very much agree! i can't help but think the BF's father has caused much of this and turned this girl's future into even worse chaos.

He certainly isn't helping the situation. But this girl...owns the bulk of it.

Her parents have made the mistake of believing she's been influenced by others.
I have news for them... Their little snowflake is the ring leader in this circus. Her best friends father is just part of the side show. IMO

When is the next court date?

Unless I am missing something, being unemancipated means that you do NOT have the freedom to do as you are please. Once she turned 18 and walked out that door voluntarily, she was emancipated. You don't require a judge to sign off on it.

BBm

Someone else probably already replied to this. For most issues you are correct. Except for FASFA. FASFA requires either the parents financial information or a court document stating the person requesting financial assistance has been legally emancipated. This is required until the person is 21.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Painauchocolat2024
Back