Tempo Restaurant: What Happened There?

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Jmo I worked in restaurants/hotels for years but never in a place where everyone would agree to "lie" about something so serious as a police investigation. Makes no sense to me that everyone involved would agree to "mis-remember" as if that happened, it will surely come out, jmo.

Oh my goodness... the layers of cooperation that would be required for everyone to agree to lie to cover the behind of the owner boggle the mind. I cannot imagine a restaurant/bar staff collectively agreeing to pretend not to remember something that happened. If anything, I think it's more likely that the owner held a group meeting, made an appeal to everyone to report everything they remember, and "reminded" them that underaged patrons are not allowed. To be caught saying anything BUT that would be horrible PR and probably have legal consequences. That is not to say that an individual employee would necessarily always tell the truth, but I doubt that the owner/manager was crazy enough to be on record telling people to do anything but cooperate.

It wouldn't take "everyone" to follow the lie. It only would take the 1 or 2 people who actually served/engaged with her (bouncer/bartender/waitstaff) to say "nope, don't remember her." Everyone else working would have no reason to remember her; wouldn't have beent their patron. The back-end staff (kitchen, bussers, etc) would have no reason to engage with a customer at this restaurant.

Oh my goodness... the layers of cooperation that would be required for everyone to agree to lie to cover the behind of the owner boggle the mind. I cannot imagine a restaurant/bar staff collectively agreeing to pretend not to remember something that happened. If anything, I think it's more likely that the owner held a group meeting, made an appeal to everyone to report everything they remember, and "reminded" them that underaged patrons are not allowed. To be caught saying anything BUT that would be horrible PR and probably have legal consequences. That is not to say that an individual employee would necessarily always tell the truth, but I doubt that the owner/manager was crazy enough to be on record telling people to do anything but cooperate.

It wouldn't take "everyone" to follow the lie. It only would take the 1 or 2 people who actually served/engaged with her (bouncer/bartender/waitstaff) to say "nope, don't remember her." Everyone else working would have no reason to remember her; wouldn't have beent their patron. The back-end staff (kitchen, bussers, etc) would have no reason to engage with a customer at this restaurant.

I agree. My point was that I very highly doubt there was a coordinated effort led by the owner of the restaurant telling everyone (or anyone, for that matter) to lie or say they don't remember HG being there. When I worked in restaurants, the last thing that I cared about was covering anything for the owner and I doubt the owner would be dumb enough to think that whatever he's paying his staff is enough for them to cover up evidence of a crime.

ETA: I agree that kitchen staff wouldn't necessarily have known whether she was there or not, but bussers, even if they don't "engage" would be as likely as any other staff person to have remembered a nearly six-foot-tall woman with a sparkly top if they saw her.

Tempo (or her other stops that night) are neither here nor there for me now and I'm dropping off this particular board. What is more important (for me) to keep up with now - is the search for her last stop with him. And...how many others there were. He hasn't offered any information on HG's whereabouts so far but these results may change that.

I keep thinking of the gentleman who almost intervened that evening - how he must be feeling right now. If I am ever in that situation and start to hesitate - I will always think of HG and err on the side of caution. How he must wish that he had called police and continued to follow them but no one knew. Does anyone else find it odd that his description of JM aligns with the sketch in MH's case?

Tempo (or her other stops that night) are neither here nor there for me now and I'm dropping off this particular board. What is more important (for me) to keep up with now - is the search for her last stop with him. And...how many others there were. He hasn't offered any information on HG's whereabouts so far but these results may change that.

I keep thinking of the gentleman who almost intervened that evening - how he must be feeling right now. If I am ever in that situation and start to hesitate - I will always think of HG and err on the side of caution. How he must wish that he had called police and continued to follow them but no one knew. Does anyone else find it odd that his description of JM aligns with the sketch in MH's case?

I've always found it extremely odd that the description was so close to the sketch in MH/Fairfax cases. Esp. in light of the man's sneaky, look-over-your shoulder / hide in the doorway / stalking behavior. I mean — JLM stepped right in front of him and hooked up with a girl he was supposedly very "concerned" about — you'd think he'd have noticed those mile-long dreads at the very least. Something seems not quite right about that situation.

I've always found it extremely odd that the description was so close to the sketch in MH/Fairfax cases. Esp. in light of the man's sneaky, look-over-your shoulder / hide in the doorway / stalking behavior. I mean — JLM stepped right in front of him and hooked up with a girl he was supposedly very "concerned" about — you'd think he'd have noticed those mile-long dreads at the very least. Something seems not quite right about that situation.

Yes, something's not right. Hopefully we will find the answer soon.
As Judge Judy says - if you struggle and struggle to make sense of a story -STOP_ it doesn't make sense because it's not true!

I will never understand...if she was IN Tempo... how is there not ONE patron that can say she was... it seems very difficult that nobody would notice a near 6ft tall female with a midriff sequined shirt on...

Chief Longo says they have "at least one eye witness who places her inside Tempo" that evening...

Yes, something's not right. Hopefully we will find the answer soon.
As Judge Judy says - if you struggle and struggle to make sense of a story -STOP_ it doesn't make sense because it's not true!

At this point, I am going to assume that CPD suspected JM before they released the video footage from the Downtown Mall. If that is the case, then you have to wonder why they decided to initially focus the public's attention on the WG. I think it is because they wanted to put pressure on the WG. I will leave others to speculate as to the reasons they might have wanted to do that.

As I've said before, don't write off the WG or the group of young guys that were initally directly behind HG.

What happened on the Downtown Mall, and at Tempo may be critical to understanding this case. (which is why Longo was so adamant about witnesses coming forward.)

I agree. My point was that I very highly doubt there was a coordinated effort led by the owner of the restaurant telling everyone (or anyone, for that matter) to lie or say they don't remember HG being there. When I worked in restaurants, the last thing that I cared about was covering anything for the owner and I doubt the owner would be dumb enough to think that whatever he's paying his staff is enough for them to cover up evidence of a crime.

ETA: I agree that kitchen staff wouldn't necessarily have known whether she was there or not, but bussers, even if they don't "engage" would be as likely as any other staff person to have remembered a nearly six-foot-tall woman with a sparkly top if they saw her.

There wouldnt have been any bussers after midnight. Door person, bartender, cocktail server(s) (depending on business volume) , the owner and possibly a fry cook if they served appetizers at the bar.

Thats it.

And every single one of their livelihoods dependent on bar business.

And every single one of their livelihoods dependent on bar business.

Those kind of jobs (no disrespect intended :) ) are super easy to come by in a college town, though. Huge amount of employee turnover as well as employment at multiple establishments.

Those kind of jobs (no disrespect intended :) ) are super easy to come by in a college town, though. Huge amount of employee turnover as well as employment at multiple establishments.

Good point. Just the thought of looking for another job is daunting to some people though. Would be interesting to find out how long the staff had been working there.

any chance jm was in mcgradys and the footage on the cctv is cut and added back together to make it look like HG didn't go in? Are there any gaps in his timeline?

they did weird speeding up and cutting of the Elisa lam cctv footage before they released it?
I guess anything is possible, but it's not likely. See Coy Barefoot's article: LJ's Timeline. He was at The Lazy Parrot at 10 p.m., then the Blue Light Grill. After running into a guy he knew, he attached himself to that group, then followed the group to Tempo.

I guess anything is possible, but it's not likely. See Coy Barefoot's article: LJ's Timeline. He was at The Lazy Parrot at 10 p.m., then the Blue Light Grill. After running into a guy he knew, he attached himself to that group, then followed the group to Tempo.
I didn't realise before how far Lazy Parrot Grill is from the others

I keep thinking of the gentleman who almost intervened that evening - how he must be feeling right now. If I am ever in that situation and start to hesitate - I will always think of HG and err on the side of caution. How he must wish that he had called police and continued to follow them but no one knew.

I feel sorry for him (assuming his stalking wasn't as nefarious as it looked). I can't imagine how I'd feel in his shoes.

<snip>Does anyone else find it odd that his description of JM aligns with the sketch in MH's case?

I'm wondering now if that sketch-based description was deliberately planted by LE just to mess with JLM's head.... They've been very strategic in dealing with him.

The FBI profiler has been quoted as having been convinced about a link bet. the two cases from the start due to the similarities involved (http://www.chron.com/news/crime/article/Police-report-lead-from-missing-UVa-student-case-5788222.php)

That makes a lot more sense to me than WG missing the dreadlocks....

Unless WG is somehow associated w/JLM. Wasn't DNA (vomit) of a 3rd party (witness) found by MH's body? Too awful to contemplate.

I'm wondering now if that sketch-based description was deliberately planted by LE just to mess with JLM's head.... They've been very strategic in dealing with him.

The FBI profiler has been quoted as having been convinced about a link bet. the two cases from the start due to the similarities involved (http://www.chron.com/news/crime/article/Police-report-lead-from-missing-UVa-student-case-5788222.php)

Unless WG is somehow associated w/JLM. Wasn't DNA (vomit) of a 3rd party (witness) found by MH's body? Too awful to contemplate.
I had not heard about this 3rd party DNA. Could he have had help disposing of Morgan's body?

I am not understanding how you read a third party anything into the link you referenced. Nor vomit. Can you please help me out? TIA.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pizzaguy
Back