Tempo Restaurant: What Happened There?

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Could you clarify your thoughts a bit on this? Are you suggesting that the videos of them walking together might have happened post-Tempo? I don't think that can be the case, but I'm not sure if that's what you mean.

Yes that's what I mean. Is it at all possible that the time stamps were wrong? And that's why she didn't jump or react to his arm being around her?

Ordered two drinks @ 1:09 am closed tab @ 1:10
Yes, this.

Further: “He came out the side door,” she says of LJ Matthew. “I saw him come walking by and I thought, there’s that obnoxious guy from before. I noticed he had his arm around a girl."

So that means he told HG to go around the side and wait for him. He entered the front (not remembered) or the side door (seems not likely possible), ordered 2 beers and paid for them, put them under his unbuttoned shirt and walked out the side door.

HG was waiting and they drank the beers outside somewhere.

30 minutes later they walked past the front door where the ID checker was sitting.

Went toward his car and vanished.

I think LE either has a cell phone selfie he took with her and their beers, or a text he sent to a friend. I don't think LE has much more. (We know they don't have her clothes or shoes.)

Yes that's what I mean. Is it at all possible that the time stamps were wrong? And that's why she didn't jump or react to his arm being around her?

OK thanks for the clarification, but no I don't believe that that's possible. The two videos from the mall basically have the same time stamps, so they back each other up.

Hannah is walking toward the direction of Tempo in both videos and in the 2nd video they're both walking together. And WG is in both. So there's not really any doubt that the two videos belong together in the same timeframe. It would be odd for both timestamps to be off by the same large time interval, so I think it's safe to conclude they're reasonably accurate - within say maybe a minute or so of the true time.

I think the only explanation is that the Tempo timestamps are off.

But to your point it is strange though that the door attendants at Tempo said that they walked toward the mall but we don't know of any video footage from any mall cameras showing that.

And yes it is also strange that she seems to be walking alone one minute and literally the next minute be walking comfortably with a complete stranger.

OK thanks for the clarification, but no I don't believe that that's possible. The two videos from the mall basically have the same time stamps, so they back each other up.

Hannah is walking toward the direction of Tempo in both videos and in the 2nd video they're both walking together. And WG is in both. So there's not really any doubt that the two videos belong together in the same timeframe. It would be odd for both timestamps to be off by the same large time interval, so I think it's safe to conclude they're reasonably accurate - within say maybe a minute or so of the true time.

I think the only explanation is that the Tempo timestamps are off.

But to your point it is strange though that the door attendants at Tempo said that they walked toward the mall but we don't know of any video footage from any mall cameras showing that.

And yes it is also strange that she seems to be walking alone one minute and literally the next minute be walking comfortably with a complete stranger.
The entrance to Tempo is on a side street, 5th St SE, not E. Main Street (the Mall). From Tempo, walking toward the mall doesn't mean walking through the mall.

They probably walked right by the mall down 5th between the post office and National Park Trust, then left on E. Market, then right on 4th where his car was parked. (Unless they parted ways, but I don't think so since he was acting quite the wolf.)

But first, they probably drank those beers in the alley off Water between Bikram Yoga and The Water Street Center. For 30 minutes.

Look at Tempo on Google maps, satellite view.

I think the time stamps are off no more than a minute or two, and otherwise everything is in sequence. They were walking pretty fast at Tuel Jeweler and Tempo is very close.

They are going back to verify the accuracies of all three time stamps, iirc. Tough to see 1:08 in Mall and completion of sale of two drinks at 1:10, so as the two videos seem to be in sync with the distance walked, I wonder if the Tempo register clock is slow?

I agree. If it is two minutes from Sal's to Tuel Jewelers it is at least that to then entrance of Tempo. Add in getting past "Abby" at the door, getting the bartenders attention, shouting your order, having it filled, and then paying via credit card, and you are likely much past 1:10. So yeah, either the Tempo register clock is slow, or the clocks on the videos at Tuel Jewelers, Sal's, and the place on second street are all fast.

I recall a post earlier saying "last call" time by law in Virginia is 1:30 A.M. and that it means all alcohol off the table at 1:30 A.M. (IIRC) Maybe there is a an economic benefit for the register clock to be somewhat slow? Does the register time appear on the receipt or is it stamped based on communication with the credit card company?

I recall a post earlier saying "last call" time by law in Virginia is 1:30 A.M. and that it means all alcohol off the table at 1:30 A.M. (IIRC) Maybe there is a an economic benefit for the register clock to be somewhat slow? Does the register time appear on the receipt or is it stamped based on communication with the credit card company?

Yes I was thinking the same thing.

The entrance to Tempo is on a side street, 5th St SE, not E. Main Street (the Mall). From Tempo, walking toward the mall doesn't mean walking through the mall.

They probably walked right by the mall down 5th between the post office and National Park Trust, then left on E. Market, then right on 4th where his car was parked. (Unless they parted ways, but I don't think so since he was acting quite the wolf.)

Ah thanks. I was thinking that his car was actually parked somewhere south of Main St. so I imagined that they would have had to walk on the mall to get to his car, but I guess they didn't necessarily have to.

I believe all beverages need to be "reclaimed" by 2am in VA. 1:45am is not that unusual for a bar that's still entertaining on a Fri. night/Sat. morning.

Hi All,

I live in C-Ville, been to Tempo twice. It's snooty. It's expensive. It has tried to improve it's nightlift to compete with another restaurant right around the corner which has a roof-top bar. I don't know how a patient Technician (or whatever he called himself) could afford drinks there.... but hey, we afford the things we want.

snip

I was trying to say that a couple days back. I seriously doubt that buying those drinks was casual. Even if it was something he wanted to buy, I don't think he wanted to regret spending that money the next day without getting a return on his investment.

Living in that scene and hanging out there at 32, I'm willing to bet he had spent money on female party-goers before and may have felt that he was taken advantage of even, in that they weren't interested in what he was interested in, and he had on-going financial issues.

He may have had a love-hate relationship with the seemingly wealthy young partiers.

I agree. If it is two minutes from Sal's to Tuel Jewelers it is at least that to then entrance of Tempo. Add in getting past "Abby" at the door, getting the bartenders attention, shouting your order, having it filled, and then paying via credit card, and you are likely much past 1:10. So yeah, either the Tempo register clock is slow, or the clocks on the videos at Tuel Jewelers, Sal's, and the place on second street are all fast.

Last call is usually anywhere from 1:30 to 1:45. It's at the manager's discretion. The law is all alcohol off the table by 2:00am.

ETA... most bar clocks are fast, not slow.

12:18am: Tempo Restaurant
Computer records at Tempo show that at 12:18am, LJ Matthew uses his Visa card to purchase three bourbon shots. He drank one and passed two to others at the bar, one of whom was DJ

1:10am: Back at Tempo
Abby, who had been checking IDs at the door since about 10pm, does not remember seeing LJ come back to Tempo just after 1am, which would have been only a few minutes after he’d left. Nor does she recall Hannah coming up to the door or asking to come inside. “I don’t remember her,” she says. “Not then. I saw her later.”

According to the records that were shared with me by Cunningham, LJ ordered two drinks at 1:09am and paid for them exactly one minute later. The bartender rang them up at $7 a piece. Witnesses with whom I spoke do not recall whether they were beers or mixed drinks or one of each. And no one I spoke with recalls watching LJ drink one or both of those drinks. Nor does anyone recall him taking them outside to share with someone

1:45am: Last Call - Abby
He came out the side door,” she says of LJ Matthew. “I saw him come walking by and I thought, there’s that obnoxious guy from before. I noticed he had his arm around a girl. She was wearing a crop top...........

When I saw her that night,” Abby says, “I remember thinking, she’s really drunk. She couldn’t walk well. She was slouched into him, leaning against him, like she was having difficulty standing up. He was talking to her, and his right arm was around her, not over her shoulder, not at the waist, but around her back and holding her right arm. He was holding her close, like he was almost holding her up. They walked away together up the street towards the Mall.”

http://insidecville.com/blog/ljs-timeline/

What a frightening account! It plainly paints imo a picture of an inebriated Hannah being led by JM. Did JM buy her drinks to further her condition so he would have control over her? READING THAT HE SEEMED TO HOLD HER UP as they walked GIVES ME CHILLS.

Hmmm....If this account is accurate, it sounds like she did wait outside (in back? around corner?) and he bought the 2beers, stuck them in his shirt or pants and went where she was waiting to drink the beer. This does sound like he put something in her beer. 30 minutes later, she can barely walk. Awful. JMO

There is no way someone is going to hang around outside a bar for 30 minutes for a guy she's just met. Come on. That's just ridiculous. If she DID hang around outside for that length of time people would notice. And she's gone from being able to walk quite purposefully to being "incapacitated" and needing to be held up. This allegedly over an hour and a half since her last alcoholic drink consumed at the party she left. She's energetically walked to the mall. She's outside in fresh air. How is she getting MORE incapacitated then? She should be starting to sober up after that length of time.

I think she was in the bar. I think she probably did drink something JM bought her. I think the bar is trying to cover itself so it doesn't lose it's licence.

sbm... tempo statement does not address what time Jesse placed the order for either of the beers he paid for at 1:10am.

i am assuming the orders ( if he didn't order two at the same time) were between "just after 12am" and the time he left tempo the first time as he returned and closed out his tab at 1:10am.

I don't think he was running a tab. He paid for his drinks when he ordered them.

Drinks at Tempo - two times he got drinks

12:18am
Computer records at Tempo show that at 12:18am, JM uses his Visa card to purchase three bourbon shots. He drank one and passed two to others at the bar, one of whom was DJ.

1:09am
What is not contested is the fact that JM used his Visa a second time that evening at Tempo. According to the records that were shared with me by Cunningham, JM ordered two drinks at 1:09am and paid for them exactly one minute later. The bartender rang them up at $7 a piece. Witnesses with whom I spoke do not recall whether they were beers or mixed drinks or one of each. And no one I spoke with recalls watching JM drink one or both of those drinks.

http://insidecville.com/blog/ljs-timeline/

The scene at Tempos gives me the impression that they didnt spend much time together at all when at Tempos. If its true from 110 to 145. Where was HG this whole time? outside? why wait for JM?

But she was supposedly seen in the bar by at least one eyewitness. She was seen outside by bar staff and others.

Oh, I know, I'm just trying to come up with other plausible places she might have been if* she wasn't in Tempo or standing outside

*I'm with Longo, I believe she was in the bar

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
poohgirl2001w
Back