Tempo Restaurant: What Happened There?

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
If you look at some of the things you highlighted, it could bring up some new questions, or potential scenarios...it occurred to me that if JLM had bought those beers earlier....and was only closing a tab...well why did he leave Tempo with an open tab? Was he planning to go back to Tempo? Or had he forgotten it was open when he left? Did he leave Tempo to go meet up with someone at the downtown mall? Maybe he wasnt intending to bring Hannah in Tempo to drink at all, but he had to go close out his tab.

Could it be possible that he left Tempo to go meet Hannah? Could they have been in contact via some snap chat thing, rather then through texts?

Just thinking threw this. But if JLM had an open tab when he left tempo....why? How does that change potential scenarios.

If he didn't buy her a drink, how did he drug her?

Could she have gone more off the beaten path and smoked weed with him?
Maybe other people where with them, but don't want to come forward because it involves an illegal substance.

If he closed the tab, at around 1:10....and Hannah was never inside, but they were both spotted outside at 1:40....what were they doing for 30 min?

There are a number of versions of the same story. I thought that he bought 2 beers when he returned at 1:10. There was discussion of whether anyone saw JM drinking the beers and no one had. Tempo did not say, whoa, he only paid for earlier drinks which would end any more talk of whether Tempo provided Hannah with anything, directly or indirectly. They just say that none of the employees saw Hannah inside Tempo, and no one knows whether JM drank those beers or what. They don't remember.

My guess is that JM was able to sneak Hannah inside through some side door, and that there was a side area that was not easily viewable from bar or restaurant. I think Hannah might have sent her text if it was indeed written at 1:06am which is the last I read about the time of that, telling friends she was at a location she was not, with the intention that she would be dropped off there very soon. She also probably used the restroom, that may have been close to the side door Wish someone could give us a layout of Tempo including restroom, off areas, side door possibilities. She had been out for a while and had been drinking right before leaiving the Corner so a pit stop was probably needed. Thirsty, so she drank the beer, then maybe JM used the restrooms, and then if that beer were spiked, she start feeling it quickly. Maybe a concerned, sit down a moment here, to clear your head, and then as she became more disoriented, getting her cell phone, dunking it in water and then pitching it would work just fine, maybe dousing it with some beer if left over. that would kill it, and it may have been out of battery by then anyways. Then, they had to go, so out the side door, from which the checker says she did see JM emerge. How she noticed Hannah at first, no telling, whether she saw Hannah come ou the same door or not Lots of people milling out there by then. And Hannah is having trouble walking, maybe even standing at that time. I could see this Waiting a few minutes while JM ordered the beer, paid the tab, snuck beer to where she is. Maybe texting or playing with pnone for that time. Drinking the beer, having some chitchat, then using the restroom, Waits while Jm does the same, then is feeling dizzy, woozy. Sit and rest another few minutes. Oh yes, 35 minutes could so go by. i think Hannah was getting very disoriented in the last 10-15 minutes of that time.

Brice Cunningham, owner of the upscale Tempo Restaurant in Charlottesville, said he saw Matthew for the first time at the restaurant late on Friday, Sept. 12, and then again during the early hours of Sept. 13. Cunningham said that Matthew drank shots of bourbon with two other customers about 11:45 p.m., and that he then saw Matthew enjoying music on the restaurant’s dance floor.

Cunningham said that Matthew left the bar briefly and returned just after 1 a.m., closed a tab for two beers at 1:10 a.m. and then left sometime after that. He said that Tempo staffers, who were checking identification to ensure that patrons were at least 21 years old, saw Graham outside the bar and thought she appeared intoxicated. They saw her leave with Mathew on foot

Cunningham said that Matthew, who was not a regular at the bar, appeared to be having a good time that evening

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...2b10cc-44b1-11e4-b437-1a7368204804_story.html

yep, he might have told her he was a taxi driver......with a cab around the corner..."wait outside here, I'll be right out.....I have a customer inside"...etc.

Brice Cunningham, owner of the upscale Tempo Restaurant in Charlottesville, said he saw Matthew for the first time at the restaurant late on Friday, Sept. 12, and then again during the early hours of Sept. 13. Cunningham said that Matthew drank shots of bourbon with two other customers about 11:45 p.m., and that he then saw Matthew enjoying music on the restaurant’s dance floor.

Cunningham said that Matthew left the bar briefly and returned just after 1 a.m., closed a tab for two beers at 1:10 a.m. and then left sometime after that. He said that Tempo staffers, who were checking identification to ensure that patrons were at least 21 years old, saw Graham outside the bar and thought she appeared intoxicated. They saw her leave with Mathew on foot

Cunningham said that Matthew, who was not a regular at the bar, appeared to be having a good time that evening

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...2b10cc-44b1-11e4-b437-1a7368204804_story.html

yep, he might have told her he was a taxi driver......with a cab around the corner..."wait outside here, I'll be right out.....I have a customer inside"...etc.

Is it possible that the change in Hannah's condition was simply the result of her body absorbing alcohol that she had drunk earlier at a party?

I've thought of that. Possible. Also possible she started to get sick, get stomach pains, gas pains. Or she and JM could have imbibed in some drugs --we don't know how much of their stroll down the promenade is accounted for on tape.

So it's really not provable that Hannah's turn in condition was due to JM's purchases at the bar at around 1:10 AM. It jsut seems to me the most logical. Why would JM get take time out from getting his prey into his car, spend money, risk a scene if she's caught in there? Why would he have to get two drinks right then? It makes sense Hannah would be thirsty after all that walking, earlier drinking. And that sudden change of condition to me points to something drastic given to her. But it's not provable.

Is it possible that the change in Hannah's condition was simply the result of her body absorbing alcohol that she had drunk earlier at a party?

I would think...if anything, the long walk, and over an hour break from drinking...she would have gotten more sober not less...

Can anyone think of any type of drug that would take almost an hour to hit your system? I know if you trip, on acid or shrooms it can take that long to feel the full effects...and then they would keep intensifying for a few hrs before wearing off. Does anyone know of something else that could have been in her system before her walk that would have taken a while to kick in?

I'm not saying HG did drugs, I'm just thinking what drugs it would even be possible for the effects to strengthen not weaken on that walk.

I keep going back to Longos quote about her world being turned upside down. He indicated that sometime before she even encountered JM that her world was already flipped that night. I think there was weight in those words. I just am not sure if it was a drug induced flip, or an emotional/bad news type of flip.

There are a number of versions of the same story. I thought that he bought 2 beers when he returned at 1:10. There was discussion of whether anyone saw JM drinking the beers and no one had. Tempo did not say, whoa, he only paid for earlier drinks which would end any more talk of whether Tempo provided Hannah with anything, directly or indirectly. They just say that none of the employees saw Hannah inside Tempo, and no one knows whether JM drank those beers or what. They don't remember.

My guess is that JM was able to sneak Hannah inside through some side door, and that there was a side area that was not easily viewable from bar or restaurant. I think Hannah might have sent her text if it was indeed written at 1:06am which is the last I read about the time of that, telling friends she was at a location she was not, with the intention that she would be dropped off there very soon. She also probably used the restroom, that may have been close to the side door Wish someone could give us a layout of Tempo including restroom, off areas, side door possibilities. She had been out for a while and had been drinking right before leaiving the Corner so a pit stop was probably needed. Thirsty, so she drank the beer, then maybe JM used the restrooms, and then if that beer were spiked, she start feeling it quickly. Maybe a concerned, sit down a moment here, to clear your head, and then as she became more disoriented, getting her cell phone, dunking it in water and then pitching it would work just fine, maybe dousing it with some beer if left over. that would kill it, and it may have been out of battery by then anyways. Then, they had to go, so out the side door, from which the checker says she did see JM emerge. How she noticed Hannah at first, no telling, whether she saw Hannah come ou the same door or not Lots of people milling out there by then. And Hannah is having trouble walking, maybe even standing at that time. I could see this Waiting a few minutes while JM ordered the beer, paid the tab, snuck beer to where she is. Maybe texting or playing with pnone for that time. Drinking the beer, having some chitchat, then using the restroom, Waits while Jm does the same, then is feeling dizzy, woozy. Sit and rest another few minutes. Oh yes, 35 minutes could so go by. i think Hannah was getting very disoriented in the last 10-15 minutes of that time.

I wouldn't be surprised. A bar that busy, less then an hour from closing time...with lots of drink orders, and lots of ringing up of drinks....that its reasonable to suspect that when he had been given the drinks, vs when he paid for the drinks...would NOT be precisely remembered by who ever rang him up. My guess is they looked back through the sales receipts, and reported based on the time stamp on that receipt.

How would you explain them still being spotted outside at 1:40 then? If he closed the tab at 1:10....would they really have just stood outside Tempo for another 30 mins?

And wouldn't she know better then to think a cab driver parks his car, and drinks in a bar in btw drives. I mean aren't cab drivers kind of known for staying in their cabs, not recruiting clients on foot? And what can driver, has to go back into a restaurant to check on his client? Aren't cabs more drop and go...not come drink with me and keep driving?

I guess I give HG more credit, even hammered, for falling for such lines.

I do not believe for a minute JM tried to pretend to be a cabi to HG.

I've thought of that. Possible. Also possible she started to get sick, get stomach pains, gas pains. Or she and JM could have imbibed in some drugs --we don't know how much of their stroll down the promenade is accounted for on tape.

So it's really not provable that Hannah's turn in condition was due to JM's purchases at the bar at around 1:10 AM. It jsut seems to me the most logical. Why would JM get take time out from getting his prey into his car, spend money, risk a scene if she's caught in there? Why would he have to get two drinks right then? It makes sense Hannah would be thirsty after all that walking, earlier drinking. And that sudden change of condition to me points to something drastic given to her. But it's not provable.

If she was thirsty, I'd think at that point, shed be far more grateful for water! But even before water I bet she'd be really needing a bathroom...drinking for a few hrs before...probably had "broken the seal" at that point, which always seems to have to make you need to go more frequently...and she probably hadn't been near a bathroom in an hr.

Maybe JM promised her he could sneak her into Tempo via the side door so she could pee.

If she was thirsty, I'd think at that point, shed be far more grateful for water! But even before water I bet she'd be really needing a bathroom...drinking for a few hrs before...probably had "broken the seal" at that point, which always seems to have to make you need to go more frequently...and she probably hadn't been near a bathroom in an hr.

Maybe JM promised her he could sneak her into Tempo via the side door so she could pee.

It seems realistic that HG would need to use a bathroom at some point on her journey that night, but why not try to go in the gas station she passed, or enter a restaurant where she would not need to be IDed? Other posters on this site have already brought up the fact that JM admitted to his family and LE that he bought HG drinks, but claims they 'went their separate ways' afterwards (so I think its safe to assume that the purchase of 2 drinks around 1:10am were for himself and HG). I can't decide if I beleive that HG snuck into Tempo and consumed the beverage with JM inside, or if she waited outside for him and they drank together in the immediate area. Considering witnesses place them leaving Tempo together (with JM supporting her) around 1:45am, I have to assume that they were together inside, or just outside, the bar for about 30-35 minutes together. I think HG must have been drugged in that time for her judgment to become so clouded that she would accept a ride from a virtual stranger who had been drinking. In a sober state of mind HG sounds like the type of young woman who would be too smart and too responsible to accept a ride from a stranger, especially one who would risk drinking and driving.

Also I just thought of this...if JM bought HG a water....if it was just tap...it would have been free....and wouldn't have been rung in.....also a lot of times if someone just orders a soda at that time, they just spray it from the bar gun, and don't always ring it in.

ETA: perhaps JM got 2 beers and a water. Maybe there was another guy friend their he bought the beer for, and gave Hannah the water....still could have drugged it (I believe)...LE says pretty firmly that they have a witness that will put Hannah in that bar....we know he was palling around with male friends earlier....could it be an acquaintance of JM that can put HG in that bar that night?

It seems realistic that HG would need to use a bathroom at some point on her journey that night, but why not try to go in the gas station she passed, or enter a restaurant where she would not need to be IDed? Other posters on this site have already brought up the fact that JM admitted to his family and LE that he bought HG drinks, but claims they 'went their separate ways' afterwards (so I think its safe to assume that the purchase of 2 drinks around 1:10am were for himself and HG). I can't decide if I beleive that HG snuck into Tempo and consumed the beverage with JM inside, or if she waited outside for him and they drank together in the immediate area. Considering witnesses place them leaving Tempo together (with JM supporting her) around 1:45am, I have to assume that they were together inside, or just outside, the bar for about 30-35 minutes together. I think HG must have been drugged in that time for her judgment to become so clouded that she would accept a ride from a virtual stranger who had been drinking. In a sober state of mind HG sounds like the type of young woman who would be too smart and too responsible to accept a ride from a stranger, especially one who would risk drinking and driving.

I think all the restraunts would have been functioning as bars at that time of night, and if she didn't have a fake would not have been let in.

How would you explain them still being spotted outside at 1:40 then? If he closed the tab at 1:10....would they really have just stood outside Tempo for another 30 mins?

And wouldn't she know better then to think a cab driver parks his car, and drinks in a bar in btw drives. I mean aren't cab drivers kind of known for staying in their cabs, not recruiting clients on foot? And what can driver, has to go back into a restaurant to check on his client? Aren't cabs more drop and go...not come drink with me and keep driving?

I guess I give HG more credit, even hammered, for falling for such lines.

I do not believe for a minute JM tried to pretend to be a cabi to HG.

ya never know.....we don't know what was said between the two....moo

ya never know.....we don't know what was said between the two....moo

True we don't know much with absolute certainty. But we also try to rule things in and out by there plausibility. At least in my opinion, that angle, has a very low chance of being plausible.

The reasons for not believing it being plausible I listed in my first quote.

I was trying to consider its possibility by considering those questions. If you feel strongly about it being likely, how would you answer those question I proposed? (I'm genuinely curious, I'm not being sarcastic, or rude).

What if he told her he was under cover and he saw she seemed intoxicated? He acts like the nice cop that gives second chances. And offers to drop her back at home but wait I have to go inside tempo to tell my partner. And I will bring you some water...

I think all the restraunts would have been functioning as bars at that time of night, and if she didn't have a fake would not have been let in.

McGrady's is not releasing any statements. The only thing that has come out is that a worker there did ask Hannah if she needed anything and she said she was fine, and declined help. LE did state at some time that she tried to gain entry and was denied as she did not have appropriate or any id. It is possible that she asked to use the restroom there and they did not allow her to do so. McGrady's would not be so eager to have that kind of info out. Better they stay quiet, I'm sure is the stance they are taking.

That JM might have been able to sneak into Tempo through a side door and get her a decent bathroom to use could have also been a draw in going with him. Nice guy with a sweet approach, right out in the open of the mall, and he's offering her a ride, a drink and access to a restroom. Probably was the answer to a number of her problems. She might have run out of battery on her phone, not brought money or id with her, and just not feeling like walking back, not to mention that she probably got lost going there, and might do the same again. The mall area is just minutes from the Corner by car. She was going to be right where she wanted to be in short order, and could relieve herself and get a nice cold beer for the road. I'll bet that a number of young women who would have made that same decision without being intoxicated.

Also I just thought of this...if JM bought HG a water....if it was just tap...it would have been free....and wouldn't have been rung in.....also a lot of times if someone just orders a soda at that time, they just spray it from the bar gun, and don't always ring it in.

ETA: perhaps JM got 2 beers and a water. Maybe there was another guy friend their he bought the beer for, and gave Hannah the water....still could have drugged it (I believe)...LE says pretty firmly that they have a witness that will put Hannah in that bar....we know he was palling around with male friends earlier....could it be an acquaintance of JM that can put HG in that bar that night?

All possible. He could have also given Hannah's cell phone a beer douse and soak before pitching it. That would have killed the battery.

I did not get the sense that the person who placed Hannah in the bar had much info or insight in the matter. Though I think it's probably that Hannah was in Tempo, the ID of one witness at that time of the night in a bar is not particularly reliable, especially, if indeed there was someone dressed like her in the place as the manager of Tempo said. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of info from Tempo, and LE isn't pushing the issue of whether Hannah was in there or not. I guess it's not all that important as she did leave the area alive, though not walking steadily as she was when going TO Tempo.

Yes. If I look at my own experiences in college, it was not uncommon for people to play drinking games (beer pong, etc.) and consume multiple drinks in a short space of time. Depending on what she'd eaten (and at what time), if she'd also drank heavily, HG might have continued to grow progressively intoxicated as time passed that night. Walking, exercise, etc. does not significantly affect liver function and would therefore have no real effect on her body's ability to metabolize the alcohol she'd consumed prior.

Others have mentioned weed. Here again, my own experiences were that my friends and I could go out and drink pitchers of beer and be perfectly fine - intoxicated, sure, though not incapacitated - but all it took was one hit of good weed at the end of a night of drinking, and things would go downhill very quickly. Within minutes 'the spins' would set in, often followed by vomiting, some memory loss or even 'blacking out', and/or passing out for a period of time. I learned to avoid doing this as my college years continued, but when I was Hannah's age, I hadn't yet made this mistake often enough to learn that it was best avoided. If - and I have no evidence of this - if JM offered her marijuana, and if she accepted, and if she was also sufficiently intoxicated by alcohol, her resulting incapacity could explain how JM was able to transport her to such a remote location.

It's my impression, also, that observed intoxication doesn't follow a smooth path. In other words, someone, as he or she continues to absorb alcohol, can sometimes transition rather quickly from one mood to another, or transition quickly into obvious physical impairment. Would that be what other people think, too, or am I off base?

I have nothing but a hunch on this, but I would bet she had a fake ID, and had gotten into bars with it on other occasions. Now, it is possible that she lost it at some point during the evening. Despite what some people believe, that she is seen reaching for her back pocket a few times, I am not convinced those pants had any pockets at all. JMO

I have nothing but a hunch on this, but I would bet she had a fake ID, and had gotten into bars with it on other occasions. Now, it is possible that she lost it at some point during the evening. Despite what some people believe, that she is seen reaching for her back pocket a few times, I am not convinced those pants had any pockets at all. JMO

She wasn't expecting to venture far from where she lived, and going to parties thrown by UVA students, no money, no ID needed. I can't see much of anything on the videos, so I have no idea if those pants had pockets. I would think they'd have at least one so she could tuck her cell phone in it and the key or keycard to her apartment. She did plan to get back home, and she lived off campus in a regular apartment, albeit one that catered to students. Would she have wanted to just keep her cell phone in her hand the whole time? I'm seeing this a lot with young women--not wanting to carry an purse at all, and those tight pangs, jeggings, leggings are the style and they often do have no pockets.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akaymcm
Back