Terri's friends want to distance themselves after being dragged into investigation

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
To answer your question:
Lets just say someone snatched Kyron from that school, some creep who threw him over his shoulder and ran...and lets say I live a mile away and am at work all day long and this creep came through my living room window with Kyron while I was working, had Kyron write a letter to his dad saying "I'm going to die in 24 hours" When the police knock on my door later in the evening I don't allow them in without a warrant, and it takes them another 24 hours to obtain one.. they finally get in with a warrant, find the note that I would have never found myself, then through that note was able to locate a dead child.
The simple thought that every hour counts to find a child could lead to a situation such as this would cause me to welcome LE in with open arms. They can't find anything that implicates me unless I am involved somehow. I have more faith in LE than to believe they are in the business of finding something on an innocent person just because.
Maybe in another circumstance I would be different, but in the case of a missing child, who knows? Like I said before, shoot me before I get to a point in my life where my rights mean more than a childs.

bbm....yes this is exactly my feelings as well. I just don't understand why all of a sudden LE are the bad guys......wow!!!

Again, I am going to say, that I DO NOT consider Law Enforcement the ENEMY...If that ever becomes the case, I feel sorry for this country, because if LE is the enemy, we are in BIG trouble....:waitasec:

Respectfully, that really doesn't address what I said in my post. It's not about anyone being an "enemy" or "us vs them" in any sense of the term.

If that witness had been (honestly) mistaken and told the police you WERE the person they'd seen... or even that they couldn't say you weren't the person they'd seen, I don't think the police would have just thrown up their hands and said, "Our bad! You're free to go!"

The police are not the enemy (just to get that on record), but they also are not in the business of establishing innocence.

bbm....yes this is exactly my feelings as well. I just don't understand why all of a sudden LE are the bad guys......wow!!!

I've not seen anyone state the police are the bad guys. Or even imply such a thing.

Regarding the topic of the thread, do we know for a fact that any of these friends who are talking to police don't have representation?

I don't know. I just know that I have always thought that if ever LE wanted to question me about anything, search my home, for me to take a poly, anything, for any reason, I would simply comply with no attorney because I am a law-abiding citizen.

Based solely on what is happening in this case, I've decided I will never do that. I will absolutely retain an attorney first. And if it happens to be a high-profile case, I will have my attorney negotiate to keep my name out of the media (not for myself, but for my loved ones.)[/QUOTE]

bbm

Good luck with that!

I would be furious if a friend of mine involved me in something that caused me to spend money on an attorney. My take on the matter is that when it comes to a missing child, LE doesn't play. They don't care about any extraneous stuff in your life that doesn't pertain to finding the kid NOW! So I don't understand why people would be so afraid to tell them what they know unless it implicates them in regards to the child being missing. What could Dede be involved with that is such a no no besides having to do with Kyron? I guess I live a pretty uneventful life because I don't have any skeletons in my closet that would prevent me from cooperating in any way to find a missing kid.

I've not seen anyone state the police are the bad guys. Or even imply such a thing.

Calliope.....I am sorry, I do not mean to start a debate here, it's just that this case hits so close to home. Emotions get involved and I just wish Kyron is found. My son is here at this moment making a fort out of my couch cushions as usual, and my heart aches for a boy i don't even know. forgive me. I think I will go read a patricia cornwell novel just to get my mind on something else. I live 20 minutes from Kyron's home and wow...yeah it is just hearbreaking that he is just gone.....I hope everyone on here has a great night. Hug your kids. Aloha!

Just FYI:

"CNM Stands for Citizen News Media. CNM News Network is comprised of citizen journalists and guest bloggers. Our writers write mainly for the love of writing and sharing information."

http://cnmnewsnetwork.com/faq/

I had read it and believed it since it did not mention Desiree and Kaine's letter, that it must have been verified by a different source... since it said quoted investigators! But then I hit the source button... and saw the article talking about the letter lol!

I think possible suspects have so many rights that it limits what LE can do because they don't want to be sued, and then also they have to go by what the DA says about having enough evidence. LE has said that it's unusual how the family is deciding to go about things (or something along those lines), but the family has a homicide detective amongst them who might have some good advice about how to proceed once Kyron was not immediately found. He might also know how to access all information that has come in and have input from other detectives.

Terri and her friends have the right to refuse telling LE any info they know about Kyron. Cruel? Yep. Legal? Yep.

And society has the right to treat them like pariahs. Cruel? Yep. Legal? Yep.

I agree...except that I don't think treating as a pariah a person who refuses to tell LE what they know is cruel. I think it's an important societal check and balance. Take the 5th amendment, for example. Say your financial advisor is deposed and repeatedly pleads the 5th in response to questions regarding financial advice to a particular client or regarding a specific hedge fund. Does he have the right to plead the 5th...yep. What is the purpose of that right? -- It's so that his testimony can't be used in a court of law to prosecute him criminally. The purpose of the 5th is NOT to stop me from taking my investments elsewhere, or from telling everyone I know to do the same. He will be ruined professionally, and rightfully so. But he will not be convicted of a crime or incarcerated. He chose the lesser of two evils, and he got the lesser of the two.

I don't know. I just know that I have always thought that if ever LE wanted to question me about anything, search my home, for me to take a poly, anything, for any reason, I would simply comply with no attorney because I am a law-abiding citizen.

Based solely on what is happening in this case, I've decided I will never do that. I will absolutely retain an attorney first. And if it happens to be a high-profile case, I will have my attorney negotiate to keep my name out of the media (not for myself, but for my loved ones.)[/QUOTE]

bbm

Good luck with that!

Well said. Yes, I do believe an attorney is important even for the innocent. Once can do oneself harm without even knowing it. That being said, if it was my child or any child, I would spill all I knew without even thinking about having an attorney first, especially if I was innocent (or trying to appear to be). In all fairness, TH seemed to have told her tale in the beginning and what she said made LE focus on her. Apparently her story didn't hold enough water for them and the more she said about where she was, what she was doing and why perked the ears of the FBI and local LE.

Well said. Yes, I do believe an attorney is important even for the innocent. Once can do oneself harm without even knowing it. That being said, if it was my child or any child, I would spill all I knew without even thinking about having an attorney first, especially if I was innocent (or trying to appear to be). In all fairness, TH seemed to have told her tale in the beginning and what she said made LE focus on her. Apparently her story didn't hold enough water for them and the more she said about where she was, what she was doing and why perked the ears of the FBI and local LE.
bbm

I've wondered if it wasn't DY who put the focus on Terri, since she suspected Terri from the get-go...

I would be furious if a friend of mine involved me in something that caused me to spend money on an attorney. My take on the matter is that when it comes to a missing child, LE doesn't play. They don't care about any extraneous stuff in your life that doesn't pertain to finding the kid NOW! So I don't understand why people would be so afraid to tell them what they know unless it implicates them in regards to the child being missing. What could Dede be involved with that is such a no no besides having to do with Kyron? I guess I live a pretty uneventful life because I don't have any skeletons in my closet that would prevent me from cooperating in any way to find a missing kid.

So far we do not know what constitutes Dede not co-operating. I think if i saw a close friend of mine (and i totally believed in her as hearsay and speculation would not be enough for me to turn on her) through the mud by the media when Le has not even named her as a suspect, her dh publicly ostracizing her and taking her child away etc all based on things she has alleged said/done. I may not want to immediately say anything without counsel present. So when Le approaches me i may say I do not wish to talk to you at this time until i reach my attorney.. Would that be seen as uncooperative? I think it would as they would like the answers NOW not later after you met with counsel who may instruct you to say nothing. Guess i'm unsure about the whole thing about Dede not willing to cooperate with police if it just that she would want legal representation then i'm not sure i could fault her for that.

I've wondered if it wasn't DY who put the focus on Terri, since she suspected Terri from the get-go...

I think you may well be right. When this interview came out, that was the feeling I got. And it's not based on anything specific. Just vague feelings she had. It worried me. I think she may well be the primary one who began pointing at Terri.

Desiree on July 9

At first it started out with something doesn't feel right. I don't feel right about this. And then each time, something would come up, something was said, a feeling I got, you know, it just reinforced it and I would discuss that with them, and this and this and this and this, and before I realized it and, you know, once, I would say once we found out the second polygraph was failed, we both I think kinda turned to the other side more than we were previous

Video: http://videos.oregonlive.com/oregonian/2010/07/kyron_hormans_parents_share_de.html

(I transcribed most of this video. It's in the Today's News thread for July 9 in the Reference Forum.)

So far we do not know what constitutes Dede not co-operating. I think if i saw a close friend of mine (and i totally believed in her as hearsay and speculation would not be enough for me to turn on her) through the mud by the media when Le has not even named her as a suspect, her dh publicly ostracizing her and taking her child away etc all based on things she has alleged said/done. I may not want to immediately say anything without counsel present. So when Le approaches me i may say I do not wish to talk to you at this time until i reach my attorney.. Would that be seen as uncooperative? I think it would as they would like the answers NOW not later after you met with counsel who may instruct you to say nothing. Guess i'm unsure about the whole thing about Dede not willing to cooperate with police if it just that she would want legal representation then i'm not sure i could fault her for that.

BBM. I think it's just that Dede wanted to retain an attorney before going for questioning. Not that she wasn't cooperating.

I think you may well be right. When this interview came out, that was the feeling I got. And it's not based on anything specific. Just vague feelings she had. It worried me. I think she may well be the primary one who began pointing at Terri.

Desiree on July 9

At first it started out with something doesn't feel right. I don't feel right about this. And then each time, something would come up, something was said, a feeling I got, you know, it just reinforced it and I would discuss that with them, and this and this and this and this, and before I realized it and, you know, once, I would say once we found out the second polygraph was failed, we both I think kinda turned to the other side more than we were previous

Video: http://videos.oregonlive.com/oregonian/2010/07/kyron_hormans_parents_share_de.html

(I transcribed most of this video. It's in the Today's News thread for July 9 in the Reference Forum.)

And, as I've noted before, DY's husband is a detective with another police agency. Cops talk to cops. So there's been two streams of constant beliefs put out: 1)the backdoor cop talk via DY/TY and 2)KH's media blitzes (often in all 3 names).

And info coming from a cop is often given geater credence, not only by other cops, but by the public. I've seen so many comments in so many places that basically say "TY is a detective, so..." and then a statement about how therefore he's totally believable, and so DY's feelings/statements are hance more believable (the halo effect!). In reality, TY is not working this case--it's out of his jurisdiction and also he's personally involved. He should not have have (as I've said in another post0 interjected his info/instructions on cops looking into personal information to the others. I betcha TY has been one of those "sources" more than once. Which is, of course, speculation.

IMHO, TH's attorney is right in keeping her quiet. There is nothing she could say or do that wouldn't wind up with a)her getting trashed even more thoroughly and b)saying some tidbit that the cops would seize on to continue to build their case against her.

Note: I am NOT saying that TH is innocent. I *am* saying that there's been a lot of information put out there that has created a public lynch mob, and also has, from the start, narrowed the investigation to only one person. I'd still like to know why the school's call re: Kyron was prioritized as "low priority", BTW. But the cops don't seem to be talking about that, nor does the media seem interested in following that up instead of salacious details and rumor-mongering.

What if Dede knows about the alleged MFH plot? If there really was one and she knew about it, that would make one nervous about cooperating.

Or what if that is where Terri was that morning, meeting another so-called "hitman"? And she figures (Terri) since she doesn't know what happened to Kyron (if this were true) she has to shut up about the MFH if she wants any chance at a life with the baby later on?

That would be about the only thing I could see that would be holding one back from talking honestly if she is innocent about Kyron.

JMO but if this Dede chick is such a great friend to Terri, then she should really encourage her friend, Terri, to do what she can to clear her name and assist LE in finding out who is responsible for Kyron's disappearance.

Granted, there is very little that is actually known about this case but I feel relatively sure that LE would have not simply taken Desiree's word regarding her feelings about Terri to push the investigation in that direction. No one can convince me that LE hasn't pursued other avenues with regards to this case and I certainly won't believe that they have chosen to seize upon the fact that Desiree feels Terri is involved unless they have reason to believe that is the case. Obviously, we are not privy to what evidence they have regarding this case. IF what has been released regarding the timeline, murder for hire plot, last one seeing Kyron, etc., then I can certainly see why the investigation has focused on Terri from the beginning. Yes, I firmly believe that Terri is responsible for Kyron disappearance and I feel very strongly that her friend Dede has played some role in that as well. Again, all JMO.

I totally agree about the furious part. I don't know how it works with attorneys there , but a excellent attorney here is $300.00/hr. I have never had to deal with a criminal attorney (knock on wood), but every time you call the attorney, even if it's to talk for 2 mins., it's billed at a 15 minute rate.

I don't see how anyone could get to use an attorney for less than a couple of thousand dollars. For something like Dede, it is going to cost her quite a bit.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
curiousXladybug99
Back