Terrorist Attack at Boston Marathon #11 One Suspect Dead; One in Custody

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
From the ABCNews article that jenny just linked to:

"Spokespeople for the Massachusetts State Police and the Watertown police had denied the existence of the writings when first asked about them by ABC News two weeks ago.

"Today, both departments referred reporters to the FBI. A federal law enforcement official confirmed reports first broadcast by CBS News that writings had been discovered inside the boat.

The discovery of writings intensified tensions between the FBI and local police when FBI agents believed some Boston officers and state police had taken cell phone pictures of the writing.

Agents demanded the phones of all officers at the scene the night of the capture of Dzhokhar be confiscated to avoid the photos becoming public before being used as evidence at trial, according to two law enforcement officials.

A FBI spokesperson said agents cannot confiscate phones without a warrant and officials said none of the police approached would agree to turn over their phones to the FBI."

So very interesting in light of other current events, imo.

I believe all surfaces in a boat are normally treated to protect and waterproof them, either with boat varnish or marine paint, which is usually a gloss formulation. It would be hard to write on such surfaces with a standard pen, IMO.

Of course anything is possible, but the question is, is it likely, given the circumstances? DT was injured badly and apparently lost a lot of blood, he had no food or fluids for hours on end and would have been in a weakened physical state, not to mention a possibly altered mental state due to the effects of his condition and the circumstances. Also at least half of the time he was hiding was during hours of darkness and it's likely he would try to move as little as possible during daylight, to avoid detection.

Since there is very little that we know to be verifiable fact in this case at present, we are all mostly expressing opinions. My opinion is that this claim is likely to be untrue.

DT was able to climb out of the boat by himself, I'm sure he had the strength to write. Writing doesn't take much movement of the whole body and he was under a tarp.

DT was able to climb out of the boat by himself, I'm sure he had the strength to write. Writing doesn't take much movement of the whole body and he was under a tarp.

And the extent of his injuries appears to be greatly exaggerated. He didn't try to shoot himself. He had some injuries from shrapnel.
I also fail to see why he couldn't write while he was sitting in the boat for hours and hours.

I've only seen a picture of him sitting on the edge of the boat with his head and shoulders drooped. The account I read was that he was told to lift his top (to check for anything strapped to his chest) and then was pulled from that position to the ground and that he appeared to be going in and out of consciousness while they triaged him at the scene.

Yes, he could have been writing, although if it was so clear that LE officers where snapping pics of it at the scene (as the quoted report alleges), in the dark too, I'm surprised it wasn't mentioned in the charging document. That would be pretty convincing 'probable cause' IMO and much more reliable than a hearsay statement from a witness.

If I saw someone leave something behind that might be important to them, like a filled backpack, I would instinctively shout after them and/or go after them with the item to give it back to them. I wonder if Jeff did? Has he said what he did/said when he saw this man leave the bag behind?

I believe he was too busy having his legs blown off to do much of anything. :moo:

You can make eye contact even with sunglasses on. C'mon.

The evidence may well be overwhelming, but we haven't seen it yet, only what is alleged by the government, 'reported' via the media from anonymous 'sources' and otherwise assumed from conjecture and speculation.

Can anyone here provide solid facts or a link to show that TT and DT planted the bombs at the marathon?

This is not unlike most criminal cases. We know many people captured pictures of them as well as video. Is there a picture of them in the act and does there have to be to find them guilty beyond a reasonable doubt? We know there were bomb making remnants. We know a guy says he was hijacked. We know there is apparently a picture of a pressure cooker bomb in the road taken by an ordinary citizen... and on and on. Is there also misreporting... yes, I would say so, but there is already a lot of evidence. You appear to be talking about a picture or videotape directly showing TT and DT setting the bomb down at a particular place. For now, we really have no reason to believe this is all some sort of setup, that the writing in the boat is a big fat lie, or that DT did not confess already.

Per the writing in the boat... same as above. No reason they need to fake it to convict him. It is possible he wrote in the boat both because he was probably physically capable and because he either had a marker or there was a surface he could write on with something else. So, at the least, it's as plausible as implausible, or more plausible than not. Now, we have the FBI basically confirming it even though they didn't want to.

I believe he was too busy having his legs blown off to do much of anything. :moo:

I was talking about the point at which he allegedly saw TT dropping the bag at his feet and walking away. That's how the account is relayed in some reports of the story, as told in interviews with JB's brother. Some reports state that the bomb went off 2 1/2 minutes later (a curiously precise detail) and so there was (theoretically) time, if JB apparently saw this man leaving, to shout after him/go after him with the bag. Obviously that didn't happen as Jeff's mind and attention (according to him) was apparently on locating his friend/girlfriend.

In JB's own account (as given to Valley News) he gives a somewhat different version of the incident. He first states (as previously reported) that he and the man looked directly at each other. This suggests that the man must have been standing either 'front on' or 'side on' to him, so he couldn't have seen the backpack's detail very clearly from any position where they would be looking directly at each other, IMO.

He then doesn't say either that he saw the man put the bag on the ground at his feet or that he saw him leaving without his bag. The article states:

"The weird feeling Tsarnaev gave him made his desire to move more urgent. As he was looking for Mahoney, he saw a black backpack alone on the ground – the same one he’d seen on the suspicious man."

So according to JB, he was looking around (and moving around?) looking for his friend and then noticed a black bag on the ground, which he says was the same one the man who looked at him had.

So there are different accounts of this incident via the media and so I'm keen to hear/read JB's witness statement to get the accurate account of events.

http://www.vnews.com/home/6057336-95/boston-marathon-bombing-bystander-jeff-bauman-recalls-suspect

Boston bombings suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev left note in boat he hid in, sources say

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505263_...naev-left-note-in-boat-he-hid-in-sources-say/

"The note, scrawled with a pen on the interior wall of the cabin, said the bombings were retribution U.S. military action in Afghanistan and Iraq, and called the Boston victims collateral damage in the way Muslims have been in the American-led wars. "When you attack one Muslim, you attack all Muslims," the note added."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...riend-day-bombing-tragedies-happen-world.html

Sophomore Zach Bettencourt recalled Tsarnaev telling him on Tuesday evening: 'It's crazy this is happening now. This is so easy to do. These tragedies happen all the time in Afghanistan and Iraq.'

I wonder what his friends think of him now. What do they think of someone who said "curse America".

Isabelle.. It's been edited to IMO. After all, no one is right or wrong here, it is a forum where all members are entitled to their opinions. Please provide these FBI links you speak of? I personally checked, and can view no new information the FBI have released since the criminal complaint was filed. Please do not accuse of us of not keeping in mind the victims - no one has been convicted of this crime at this stage. Some of us prefer to keep an open mind to each and every possibility. I highly doubt these new confession claims are true, the likelihood of him being in possession of any pen or locating a pen that would have the ingredients to mark certain surfaces of the boat appears slim and we have seen many photos of the boat after his capture, there is not one photo that displays this written confession? IMO!

I'm sorry, but how is "it's a fake story completely made up" keeping an open mind? It sounds like your mind IS already made up, based on no evidence (I"m assuming you can't provide evidence that the FBI faked this story). You're content to believe your own truth based on zero evidence - it's simply a different truth than the rest of us believe. So if you're going to urge people to have an open mind, it's best to demonstrate that by not accusing the FBI of planting fake stories until you have factual evidence that proves the FBI is making up lies.

Reportedly? Do you have factual evidence that DT run over his brother? This reported news only came out DAYS after the arrest, definitely not within the hours of him on the run so I will safely conclude DT wasn't certain his brother was dead. Maybe he was googling the news on his phone in the midst of the full blown confession on the boat?
I carry a pen in my purse ONLY sometimes, haven't met a young boy of the age 19 that had EVER carried a pen in their jean pockets.
Don't you think this would have come out within a week of the capture?!

Eye witnesses (several) say he ran over his brother.

He wouldn't need to hear it on the news because he was the one driving the SUV that ran over his brother and DRAGGED him half a block up the street.

Boat owners keep pencils and paper and what not on their boats. I do.

And no this news wouldn't come out right away. LE keeps certain facts to themselves at times. Their first job is to solve crimes not inform us nosy folks and more often than not that requires them to keep certain aspects of a case to themselves.

Are you going to dismiss evidence in the case that's introduced during a trail because it's the first time you're hearing it?

So there are different accounts of this incident via the media and so I'm keen to hear/read JB's witness statement to get the accurate account of events.

http://www.vnews.com/home/6057336-95/boston-marathon-bombing-bystander-jeff-bauman-recalls-suspect
From the linked article you have supplied:

"Once inside (the ambulance), Bauman told the man attending to him that he knew who had set off the bomb. Although he was somewhat delirious and in shock, Bauman remembered what he’d seen. When he was unloaded from the ambulance, he told an officer the same thing. But he was rushed into the emergency room and into surgery so quickly that he didn’t have time to share the details.

When Bauman woke up, FBI agents were outside his door, ready to hear what he had to say. He started talking, and a sketch artist started drawing. He told them every detail, from what the suspicious man was wearing to where he saw the bag.

There was never any doubt in Bauman’s mind that the man he’d stared at was the one responsible for the deadly attacks that killed three and wounded himself and hundreds of others. There was never any doubt that the man he described to the FBI was the one who’d ripped away the innocence of one of the city’s greatest days."

And, as Jeffrey Toobin (CNN legal guy) said on last night's Anderson Cooper 360 show, "This isn't a 'Whodunnit'." He was discussing among other things, the significance of the writing inside the boat.

I agree with Jeff Toobin, this isn't a 'whodunnit'.

I'm sorry, but how is "it's a fake story completely made up" keeping an open mind? It sounds like your mind IS already made up, based on no evidence (I"m assuming you can't provide evidence that the FBI faked this story). You're content to believe your own truth based on zero evidence - it's simply a different truth than the rest of us believe. So if you're going to urge people to have an open mind, it's best to demonstrate that by not accusing the FBI of planting fake stories until you have factual evidence that proves the FBI is making up lies.

I wonder if that note Dzohkhar Tsarnaev wrote was a suicide note.

I never stated anyone (DT or TT) was innocent, by any means. However, these are the same officials that stated that DT suffered from a single gunshot to his neck in a failed suicide attempt, yet we are only to discover that DT was unarmed on the boat and during his arrest/capture. This is one example (of many in this case) where inaccurate information is reported by one source and in turn the story is relayed across all media outlets. A written confession/note (obtained lawfully) by DT claiming responsibility would be one of the most significant pieces of evidence that FBI had prior to filing their criminal complaint and I question why such a substantial piece of probable cause was omitted from the criminal complaint when all other pieces of evidence (including possession of video footage, eyewitness statements etc) had been included. I should have clarified, the note may very well exist, but none of us have seen proof of it.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/137387259/Criminal-Complaint-Dzhokhar-Tsarnaev-Boston

Page 3 of the 11 page document:

Affidavit of Special Agent Daniel R. Genck, April 23, 2013

Item 4

4. This affidavit is based upon my personal involvement in this investigation, my training and experience, my reviews of relevant evidence, and information supplied to me by other law enforcement officers. It does not include each and every fact known to me about the investigation, but rather only those facts that I believe are sufficient to establish the requisite probable cause.

My typing and my bolding.

I never stated anyone (DT or TT) was innocent, by any means. However, these are the same officials that stated that DT suffered from a single gunshot to his neck in a failed suicide attempt, yet we are only to discover that DT was unarmed on the boat and during his arrest/capture. This is one example (of many in this case) where inaccurate information is reported by one source and in turn the story is relayed across all media outlets. A written confession/note (obtained lawfully) by DT claiming responsibility would be one of the most significant pieces of evidence that FBI had prior to filing their criminal complaint and I question why such a substantial piece of probable cause was omitted from the criminal complaint when all other pieces of evidence (including possession of video footage, eyewitness statements etc) had been included. I should have clarified, the note may very well exist, but none of us have seen proof of it.

This is what clinches it for me....

How many innocent people run from cops, kill a cop, throw bombs and shoot at cops??????

Their actions AFTER their photos were released is all the "evidence" I need to come up with an opinion on guilt.

I'm pretty opened minded, but I'm not blind.

This is what clinches it for me....

How many innocent people run from cops, kill a cop, throw bombs and shoot at cops??????

Their actions AFTER their photos were released is all the "evidence" I need to come up with an opinion on guilt.

I'm pretty opened minded, but I'm not blind.

It is circular. Someone who is too open minded is closed minded. Soe one who is always skeptical is guillible.

Anyways, shooting at and running away from cops tels me they are guilty. Also, carjacking a person tells me guilt as well.

Judge rejects Tsarnaev lawyers’ request for private photos

http://bostonherald.com/news_opinio...s_tsarnaev_lawyers_request_for_private_photos

"A federal judge has denied a request by lawyers for accused Boston Marathon bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev that he be privately photographed in prison to show changes in his physical and mental condition, allowing only his legal team to see the pictures, instead allowing federal prison officials to take photographs of the alleged terrorist that will then be distributed to both prosecutors and defense attorneys."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SluethinAway